HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We won't get anything much for Halak

Old
01-18-2010, 12:45 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

vCash: 500
We won't get anything much for Halak

I think people are being pretty unrealistic with trade proposals for Halak. I'm seeing names of young, high potential players and I just don't see how that makes any sense.

The facts are simple:

-Halak is an RFA, and does not have to sign with us next year if he doesn't want to
-Halak has asked to be traded (neither confirmed or denied by Halak, which almost certainly means it is true)
-The market for goalies, especially young, unproven goalies, is not great

So we aren't going to get any Giroux, or Carter, or Benn, or anything like that for Halak. He will not re-sign with us next year, so we have no choice but to move him.

And teams aren't exactly tripping over themselves to get ol' Jaroslav. There are several goalies with more proven track records than Halak that could be had for almost nothing.

The Turco rumours are the most realistic ones I've seen.

-Halak is given a chance to be a starter in the NHL
-Habs get a vet backup for (hopefully) a playoff run

At this point moving Halak isn't going to get some great assets. It's going to be so that he gets the shot to be a true #1 that we owe him.

Now, add Plekanec to Halak and maybe...

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:47 PM
kostitsyn1489

The thing I don't get is unproven skaters have like insane value, but no way you can't get anything more then a 4th line plugger for an unproven goalie.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:47 PM
E = CH²

As a RFA he's forced to sign with us next season unless a team offers him a contract unless I'm missing something ?

If we can't get anything of value for Halak, there's no reason to trade him.

We don't owe him anything, we owe ourselves the best team possible. We're not in the business of making players happy elsewhere.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Tusk

Waffledave from HFBoards is right on this one.

Tusk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:49 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostitsyn1489 View Post
The thing I don't get is unproven skaters have like insane value, but no way you can't get anything more then a 4th line plugger for an unproven goalie.
I don't know why, but historically, goalies don't fetch much on the trade market.

You'd be hard pressed to find more than one trade involving a goalie as the centerpiece where the return was what you'd expect.

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:49 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
I've been saying we won't get anything for Halak for about 9 months.

Last edited by Darz: 01-18-2010 at 01:08 PM. Reason: play nice
macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:50 PM
kostitsyn1489

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
you must be a rocket scientist or something becuase I've been saying we won't get anything for Halak for about 9 months.
And you're right we didnt get anything! Nice one buddy.

kostitsyn1489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:51 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
We don't owe him anything, we owe ourselves the best team possible. We're not in the business of making players happy elsewhere.
thats not how you attract UFA's, you need to be a players GM to attract UFA's to undesireable markets.

Last edited by Darz: 01-18-2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: PLAY NICE
macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:51 PM
tiredman

Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
As a RFA he's forced to sign with us next season unless a team offers him a contract unless I'm missing something ?

If we can't get anything of value for Halak, there's no reason to trade him.

Bingo. It's better keeping Halak if we can't get an adequate return for him.

tiredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:52 PM
GNick42

If we are sellers at the deadline I see us getting a Chiasson and 2nd round pick for Halak.

Last edited by GNick42: 01-18-2010 at 01:21 PM.
GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Bob Cole

halak for ovechkin

Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Halak's status as an RFA has no effect on his trade value at all.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:07 PM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Pleck + Halak + 2nd for .....

oh you guessed it....

Mike Ribeiro

CastroLeRobot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

why is this a new thread?
this has been spoken about at nauseum. We all have opinions about this, but any fan of hockey who knows a little about how trades work, understands that halak alone will not garner much, that he will have to be packaged to receive someone who will help the team asap.

But please we havent had enough on this topic. Maybe you should start a thread of a possible "halak-price goalie controversey", or a "did we mishandle guillaume?" topic.

Canadian_Brewtality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:18 PM
Bitterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I think people are being pretty unrealistic with trade proposals for Halak. I'm seeing names of young, high potential players and I just don't see how that makes any sense.

The facts are simple:

-Halak is an RFA, and does not have to sign with us next year if he doesn't want to
-Halak has asked to be traded (neither confirmed or denied by Halak, which almost certainly means it is true)

So we aren't going to get any Giroux, or Carter, or Benn, or anything like that for Halak. He will not re-sign with us next year, so we have no choice but to move him.

And teams aren't exactly tripping over themselves to get ol' Jaroslav. There are several goalies with more proven track records than Halak that could be had for almost nothing.

At this point moving Halak isn't going to get some great assets. It's going to be so that he gets the shot to be a true #1 that we owe him.

Disagree big time. If you think Turco and 5.4 Mill to Montreal as a rental is the most realistic "rumour" you've heard, well i don't know what to say.

Of the young and inexpensive goalies with NHL experience, Halak is one of the best available goalies on the market and is still someone's property for another year. Only Ellis who's a UFA is a comparable option. Halak's contract also makes it possible to trade him before the Olympic break. So, yes, he does have value.

The real problem is, I don't think we can afford to trade Halak while Price stutters. The only issue is if the lack of secondary scoring forces Gainey's hand, otherwise I think Gainey may hang onto him until the deadline or even the draft.

Bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:26 PM
alexstream

Quote:

The facts are simple:

Hamrlik, Halak, Gomez, d'Agostini
for
Lecavalier and St-Louis

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:27 PM
FF de Mars

We might get good enough picks for his value if a team signs him as a RFA in the summer. That's what I'm hoping for. No point to trade him right now unless a good offer is placed on the table, but there is only one goalie that can play at one time in hockey instead of two dozen at the other positions, that means there has to be a lot of "potential number one inexperienced nhl goalies" available.

FF de Mars is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Paul Dipietro

I can't help but imagine how different this thread would be had he won the game yesterday...

The only reason we won't get anything for him right now is because nobody really wants him. (not to mention the great marketing move to let everyone know he was available - when nobody really cared at the time)

As long as they don't have 2 or more teams bidding for his services, they'll never get equal or more value (subjective I know) in return (assuming Bob plays his cards right - but that's another debate)

Paul Dipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Sam I Am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitterman View Post
Disagree big time. If you think Turco and 5.4 Mill to Montreal as a rental is the most realistic "rumour" you've heard, well i don't know what to say.

Of the young and inexpensive goalies with NHL experience, Halak is one of the best available goalies on the market and is still someone's property for another year. Only Ellis who's a UFA is a comparable option. Halak's contract also makes it possible to trade him before the Olympic break. So, yes, he does have value...
+1

There is no reason in the world for Halak to be dealt for Turco. Not one. Halak is an asset: a low-cost, high yield back-up who could quite conceivably be an excellent starter and is not UFA next season. The Habs are not obliged to trade him in the way that trading Huet was necessary. Or in the way Kovalchuk may force Waddell's hand.

Turco has had a fine NHL career but he is currently a liability: he is expensive and underperforming. He is no longer the goalie that Halak is at five times the cost. He is getting old, back-sliding and a pending UFA to boot. If he is offered a new contract for next year by Dallas or anyone else, it will be a fraction of his current rate.

If there is a trade to made with Dallas and I'm not sure there is, Turco and Benn might be interesting compensation for Halak and something...I dunno, maybe Sergei or a 3rd. But Halak for Turco, gimme a break.

Sam I Am is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:48 PM
habspinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitterman View Post

Of the young and inexpensive goalies with NHL experience, Halak is one of the best available goalies on the market and is still someone's property for another year. Only Ellis who's a UFA is a comparable option. Halak's contract also makes it possible to trade him before the Olympic break. So, yes, he does have value.

The real problem is, I don't think we can afford to trade Halak while Price stutters. The only issue is if the lack of secondary scoring forces Gainey's hand, otherwise I think Gainey may hang onto him until the deadline or even the draft.
after last nights game, do you really think the problem here is Price? It's the team that is stuttering. Halak's game last night was worse than Price's was on Saturday.

one or the other will serve us just fine until we get things sorted on this team. our problem has nothing to do with Halak or Price - it's the team in front of them, and the coaching directing this team that is the issue.

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:48 PM
PATCHESx67

Quote:

The facts are simple:

RFA means restricted free agent wich means he's rights belongs to us even after July 1st so he's gonna be with us until gainey decides to trade him unless he gets an offer sheet from another team wich I woudlnt mind since we would be getting draft picks back

you also said there's plenty of young goalies with the same potentiel halak has on the market then name them

Ellis is a UFA and mr Cory from the nucks has no NHL experience

Halak keeps proving everyone he can play on regular basis and he's gonna be cheap for the next atleast 3years wich is what every GM is looking for,now I'm not saying trading halak will land us Benn or Giroux like u mentioned but if you think were gonna get a 2nd rounder for him only then your has crazy as the people saying Halak for Benn

Huet was a old bum UFA goalie and he got us a 2nd

Halak is a better younger cheaper RFA goalie

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:53 PM
Bitterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
If there is a trade to made with Dallas and I'm not so sure that is the case, Turco and Benn might be interesting compensation for Halak and something...I dunno maybe Sergei or a 3rd.
No matter what, we can't afford Turco on the cap. Besides, The Turco angle was a mistake by Pierre LeBrun who was just a parrot on an existing rumour.

Unless the Habs are willing to move Halak for a rental... which I doubt it would likely be for Ott. If they want a younger player they'd be after Neal who's likely untouchable so that leaves Benn or Glennie that interest me the most.

Old
01-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Kue
Interviewing for GM

Turco makes no sense AT ALL. None, zero zilch. If all we can get back is that, then we keep him for the year, let someone give an offer sheet and take the picks.

Kue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2010, 01:57 PM
Bitterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
after last nights game, do you really think the problem here is Price? It's the team that is stuttering. Halak's game last night was worse than Price's was on Saturday.

one or the other will serve us just fine until we get things sorted on this team. our problem has nothing to do with Halak or Price - it's the team in front of them, and the coaching directing this team that is the issue.
What I'm saying is that NO goalie can be moved at this point. I like them both and feel there's no need to trade Halak, the likely candidate until the right deal comes along and that might be at the Draft. A earlier move could only be done but Price needs to find a groove... and the only way that will happen is if they can score more than 1 or 2 goals a game.

Old
01-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Theosis
11, 27, 31, 67, 76 ♥

vCash: 50
We need to get rid of one of the goalies already. Whether it be Price or Halak. Obviously the constant switching between goalies is not working for them. At the rate this team is playing and the constant switching between them, we might as well completely kill both of our goalies confidence.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote