HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Lounge XVII (All Non-Sports, Non-Political Talk Here)

Closed Thread

Old
01-25-2010, 09:51 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
I think you guys are nuts, I would rather have anything but snow, I'll take rain all the time over snow.
Depends on the temperature.

Warm Rain=Fine.

But when it's 35 degrees and raining, it's miserable, particularly since the area of Columbus where I live has a storm drainage system that hasn't been updated since Roman times. I think everyone I know has been splashed by a COTA bus at least once.

I like snow, but Columbus has too many damn seniors and hicks, who have no idea how to drive in these conditions.

01-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
I like snow, but Columbus has too many damn seniors and hicks, who have no idea how to drive in these conditions.
That is true but trust me, Columbus has no idea how to prepare for snow...never, ever wait to start salting. Black ice (or one quarter inch of snow on a frozen road-same thing) is what kills not old folks..

Plaster the streets with a salt/sand combination and all is fine... deep snow is a piece of cake with good all weather tires and a 4X4... I know..

Old
01-26-2010, 01:33 AM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeless Winter View Post
I think you guys are nuts, I would rather have anything but snow, I'll take rain all the time over snow.
First time in years we're having a proper winter here with constant 10F temperatures and nice amount of snow. Everything looks brighter because of the snow in the trees and the ices for hockey are in amazing condition. Not to mention how beautiful it is to cross-contry ski through the forests...

I'm lovin' it!

Old
01-26-2010, 08:24 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Warm Rain=Fine.

But when it's 35 degrees and raining, it's miserable, particularly since the area of Columbus where I live has a storm drainage system that hasn't been updated since Roman times. I think everyone I know has been splashed by a COTA bus at least once.

I like snow, but Columbus has too many damn half-witted college kids, who have no idea how to drive in these conditions.
Fixed it for you.

Personally, I hate "slippery," no matter what is causing it! Kids, seniors, hicks, whoever...none of them have any idea of car control and are totally clueless about auto physics. Of course, I also hate walking in slick conditions, but at least then I'm only a danger to myself!

Old
01-26-2010, 09:31 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:

Warm Rain=Fine.

Driving sucks for different reasons in different places.
I've lived in Chicago.... and you could read a book in traffic sometimes.
Columbus' driving is just boring.
At least here in the USVI we have potholes, goats and chickens to dodge, along with the occasional Rasta. Makes it entertaining.

Weather forecast for this week:

72/83, 72/82, 73/83, 72/82. 30% chance of rain each day.

Old
01-26-2010, 10:05 AM
Happy Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKETfan View Post
Driving sucks for different reasons in different places.
I've lived in Chicago.... and you could read a book in traffic sometimes.
Columbus' driving is just boring.
At least here in the USVI we have potholes, goats and chickens to dodge, along with the occasional Rasta. Makes it entertaining.

Weather forecast for this week:

72/83, 72/82, 73/83, 72/82. 30% chance of rain each day.
Speaking of potholes, whats up with the middle two lanes of 270 west between 33 and 315? It's like someone took a jack hammer up here one night and went to town.

Old
01-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Pony View Post
Speaking of potholes, whats up with the middle two lanes of 270 west between 33 and 315? It's like someone took a jack hammer up here one night and went to town.
yeah, my new car enjoys that....especially the lane to go north on sawmill...UGH

Old
01-26-2010, 11:16 AM
skimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Pony View Post
Every single road in Pittsburgh is like that year-round.

And am I the only one who actually dislikes warm, sunny weather?

Old
01-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Handyy

The most horrible road I have ever driven was 278 through Staten Island and Brooklyn to New York. I was driving a Shelby GT-H with hard suspension and I was so furious and pissed I could have punched anyone at that moment. It was like driving through a million rumble strips for 20 miles. I have no idea how they can drive their cars there day after day.

It's weird too, because on those roads I paid more road tolls than anywhere else in US. They charge for using the roads, but don't use the money for road repairs?

Old
01-26-2010, 01:15 PM
skimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
First time in years we're having a proper winter here with constant 10F temperatures and nice amount of snow. Everything looks brighter because of the snow in the trees and the ices for hockey are in amazing condition. Not to mention how beautiful it is to cross-contry ski through the forests...

I'm lovin' it!
Do you do any of that crazy rally racing out in the woods in the snow and ice? It looks ridiculously dangerous (by which I mean ridiculously fun).

Old
01-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Handyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by skimp View Post
Do you do any of that crazy rally racing out in the woods in the snow and ice? It looks ridiculously dangerous (by which I mean ridiculously fun).
I would, if it wouldn't be so ridiculously expensive. But the Finland's World Rally Event headquarters is just few miles from where I live, so I've been in the woods watching for at least 10 years in a row. It's pretty awesome to watch up close as the cars blaze by 100+mph in a narrow forest road... And yep, sometimes they roll over multiple times and end up in a field or leaning against a tree upside down

The longest jump in a rally (on those narrow forest roads) I have seen live was 187 feet. We were completely speechless in the crowd after that one. Here's a photo of the jump:

http://galeria.forocoches.com/data/5...rkkoJump_2.jpg

Old
01-26-2010, 01:35 PM
skimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyy View Post
I would, if it wouldn't be so ridiculously expensive. But the Finland's World Rally Event headquarters is just few miles from where I live, so I've been in the woods watching for at least 10 years in a row. It's pretty awesome to watch up close as the cars blaze by 100+mph in a narrow forest road... And yep, sometimes they roll over multiple times and end up in a field or leaning against a tree upside down

The longest jump in a rally (on those narrow forest roads) I have seen live was 187 feet. We were completely speechless in the crowd after that one. Here's a photo of the jump:

http://galeria.forocoches.com/data/5...rkkoJump_2.jpg
Just hop in any old beater and go nuts.

Old
01-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Socks
SharkCat Knows

Any computer gurus in here? I am constantly having a problem where I can't load a browser, though I've got a good connection to the internet, and when I go to try and diagnose the problem I get the message "there may be a problem with your Domain Name Server." This happens nearly every night, usually multiple times. I've already spoken with Time Warner (shocker that it's them, right?) and I have a new modem and router as of sometime around last July. But it's still happening. If I reboot my computer it usually helps, but not permanantly and if I unplug and replug in the modem/router it helps but, again, not permanantly. This is driving me nuts. Any suggestions?

Old
01-27-2010, 01:57 AM
Happy Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinNow View Post
Any computer gurus in here? I am constantly having a problem where I can't load a browser, though I've got a good connection to the internet, and when I go to try and diagnose the problem I get the message "there may be a problem with your Domain Name Server." This happens nearly every night, usually multiple times. I've already spoken with Time Warner (shocker that it's them, right?) and I have a new modem and router as of sometime around last July. But it's still happening. If I reboot my computer it usually helps, but not permanantly and if I unplug and replug in the modem/router it helps but, again, not permanantly. This is driving me nuts. Any suggestions?
Flush the DNS, maybe.

I'm lazy so, http://www.topbits.com/how-to-flush-dns.html

Assuming you have windows.

Old
01-27-2010, 06:33 AM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludicrous Speed View Post
it really sucks that Seattle and England are 39 and rainy kind of places, because they're two of my favorite places on the planet, and I would really think about moving to one of them if they didn't have that kind of weather.
Agreed. Actually most of Europe has kind of ****** winters these days, but then so does Ohio. I'm moving to Austria in September; really hoping for a more consistently snowy winter, but I am like 90% sure it will be pretty much the same weather as we get up here, with maybe more rain.

Old
01-27-2010, 06:57 AM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

Quote:
Every single road in Pittsburgh is like that year-round.

And am I the only one who actually dislikes warm, sunny weather?
re: Pittsburgh: You forgot to mention "Every road is downhill in the ice and snow".

Long time ago when I lived just south of Buffalo, I encountered the concept of "Winter Beater" ...the car locals would drive in the snow and ice, or have to park in the street to receive their annual beating from snowplowed snow and sliding drivers.

And yes, you are the only one who dislikes warm weather.

True Fact: Your body acclimates to warm weather in about 3 to 4 weeks, increasing its plasma volume by as much as 20% to improve heat dissipation through the capillaries (what some people refer to as "thinning blood").

I suppose the same-opposite is true when you move from warm to cold climates. When I first moved here to the USVI, I sweat like a pig. Now if the temp goes below 77, I need socks and pants. I nearly froze at the Nat during my trip up to the playoffs last Spring.

Old
01-27-2010, 07:47 AM
Skraut

Quote:
And yes, you are the only one who dislikes warm weather.
Untrue.

One of these years I want to go seriously north for the winter, get snowed in, and write that novel I always wanted to write.

Old
01-27-2010, 08:35 AM
Handyy

Quote:
True Fact: Your body acclimates to warm weather in about 3 to 4 weeks, increasing its plasma volume by as much as 20% to improve heat dissipation through the capillaries (what some people refer to as "thinning blood").
Hey thanks for that fact, that'll help me travelling this year! I didn't think body was smart enough to do it in that short of a time period.

Old
01-27-2010, 09:23 AM
skimp

Quote:
I suppose the same-opposite is true when you move from warm to cold climates. When I first moved here to the USVI, I sweat like a pig. Now if the temp goes below 77, I need socks and pants. I nearly froze at the Nat during my trip up to the playoffs last Spring.
Menopause.

Old
01-27-2010, 09:25 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Menopause.
Man-opause?

Old
01-27-2010, 01:27 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
So who else wants an iPad?

Old
01-27-2010, 01:48 PM
skimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
These guys:

http://makeuseof.com/tech-fun/images...el-special.jpg

Old
01-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by dru View Post
Unique snowflakes on the cutting edge.

Old
01-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Unique snowflakes on the cutting edge.

holy **** that's one of the psych lecture halls at SLU. I took a class in a famous interwebs picture.

Old
01-27-2010, 02:07 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
You guys are funny. I love how Apple is innovating technology and creating new online markets in the year 2010 and you guys are digging up parodies of ads they did 8 years ago. Apple haters make me laugh.

Closed Thread