HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Padding no longer glued to helmet shell

Old
01-11-2010, 12:45 AM
SaginawSpiritOHL

vCash: 500
Padding no longer glued to helmet shell

What type of widely available adhesive is ideal for re-bonding foam to plastic for a hockey helmet?

I have a 12 year old Bauer 3000 helmet and the foam insert has finally fallen out of the plastic exterior. I don't want to buy some pricey kit from a pro shop, I just want to go get an adhesive at a local store that's cheap, and effective. I'm not sure what type of glue/expoxy/cement will keep it well bonded and free of any damage to the plastic or foam.

This commonly seems to happen to old helmets, so I thought someone here might know the solution. Thanks for any help!

SaginawSpiritOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:56 AM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

vCash: 164
I had this happen to me years ago, i just used that model glue/cement stuff. It held it fine, dont know if it caused damage to the shell or anything, didnt really have the helmet for much longer after that.

Im not saying to do this or not to do this, i dont know if it will/can damage the helmet.

If others have used it and it worked out well go for it.

NigelSPNKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:28 AM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
yeah, because $20 for a pad set or $50 for a comparable new helmet is WAY too much to spend to make sure your brain stays inside your skull...

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 01:44 AM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildebeest View Post
yeah, because $20 for a pad set or $50 for a comparable new helmet is WAY too much to spend to make sure your brain stays inside your skull...
This. Buy a new helmet. This is your brain. Bones mend. Brains don't.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:42 AM
SaginawSpiritOHL

Quote:
The pad insert itself is structurally fine so I don't need to buy a new one, I only need to re-glue it into the helmet so it doesn't fall out every time i take my helmet off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
This. Buy a new helmet. This is your brain. Bones mend. Brains don't.
Money is tight. Besides, I play non-contact beer league hockey. so my old bucket is more than enough protection.

I just want to know the best way to re-glue foam padding to my helmet.

Old
01-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Calvin123

I use contact cement.

Calvin123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:02 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaginawSpiritOHL View Post
The pad insert itself is structurally fine so I don't need to buy a new one, I only need to re-glue it into the helmet so it doesn't fall out every time i take my helmet off.
Money is tight. Besides, I play non-contact beer league hockey. so my old bucket is more than enough protection.

Honestly, if the helmet is old enough for all of the glue to have lost its hold, it is safe to assume that the padding itself is "expired" too. That stuff has a shelf-life just like anything else, it hardens as it ages and loses its ability to cushion a blow. The fact that you play non-contact beer league is fine, but just because there's no hitting doesn't protect you from accidental elbows or trips/slew foots that can send you to the ice head first.

You obviously don't want to hear it, but the advice you've been getting so far in this thread is sound. Buy a new helmet and keep yourself protected.

Synergy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:04 PM
noobman

Quote:

Once that foam falls out, the level of protection your helmet offers becomes compromised. You can glue it back in what looks like the same position, but it's really not the same.

If you think you can get away with it then go for it... it's your brain, not mine. If not... get a new helmet.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 12:45 PM
SaginawSpiritOHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
If you think you can get away with it then go for it... it's your brain, not mine. If not... get a new helmet.
My grandfather never wore a helmet playing hockey during his entire life. I wouldn't wear one if the league didn't require it. I think it will do just fine, thanks.

Old
01-11-2010, 12:49 PM
noobman

Quote:
My grandfather never wore a helmet playing hockey during his entire life. I wouldn't wear one if the league didn't require it. I think it will do just fine, thanks.
Fair enough.

FYI, I used carpenter's glue to glue my old helmet (which I use almost exclusively for stick and puck) since it was the only thing that didn't soak directly into the foam. You'll have to hold the foam in place for a few minutes, then let the helmet sit upside down overnight. I still *really* wouldn't recommend it, but since you sound like you're going to do it anyways you might as well do it right.

Old
01-11-2010, 01:26 PM
SaginawSpiritOHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
FYI, I used carpenter's glue to glue my old helmet (which I use almost exclusively for stick and puck) since it was the only thing that didn't soak directly into the foam. You'll have to hold the foam in place for a few minutes, then let the helmet sit upside down overnight.
Thanks for the advice noobman, I'll give it a shot.

Old
01-11-2010, 01:37 PM
rinkrat22

you could try that gorrila glue. that sh>t is pretty strong

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 06:09 PM
J22

vCash: 814
Quote:

Maybe the fact that your grandfather never wore a helmet is in some way linked to the fact that his grandson needs advice on how to use glue. Coincidence?

J22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 06:12 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post
Maybe the fact that your grandfather never wore a helmet is in some way linked to the fact that his grandson needs advice on how to use glue. Coincidence?

lame

Old
01-11-2010, 07:34 PM
wildebeest

Send a message via AIM to wildebeest Send a message via MSN to wildebeest Send a message via Yahoo to wildebeest
Quote:
Beer league tough guys. Gotta love 'em.

wildebeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 07:39 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:
Beer league tough guys. Gotta love 'em.
How does that make a "beer league tough guy"?

I wouldnt wear a helmet if i didnt have too and it has nothing to do with being "tough".

You can be just as tough with a helmet on as you can with it off (if you wear a birdie you can be extra tough! )

Old
01-11-2010, 10:32 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by J22 View Post

Oh snap!

Old
01-11-2010, 10:37 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
How does that make a "beer league tough guy"?

I wouldnt wear a helmet if i didnt have too and it has nothing to do with being "tough".
Actually, that's pretty much the definition of trying to be macho.

Concussions were routine when people didn't wear helmets. As were cracked skulls.

OP, if you kill yourself, make sure somebody submits it to the darwin awards.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2010, 10:56 PM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

To each their own i guess.

I would rather not where a helmet for comfort.

If i wanted to be macho i would just punch random dudes in the face.

Old
01-12-2010, 10:37 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Why waste your money on glue then? Just rip all the foam out of the helmet and be done with it.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 10:44 AM
NigelSPNKr
#SavetheGoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyNetter View Post
Why waste your money on glue then? Just rip all the foam out of the helmet and be done with it.
I assume because then it wouldnt be comfortable and/or fit right

Old
01-12-2010, 11:09 AM
JayK47

let the guy do whatever he wants, no need to bash him.

JayK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Crosbyfan

If you glue it and the shell does not crack you are probably fine. If it does crack then you can get a new one. If it fits properly it's probably better than the most expensive helmet on the market, if that helmet is not fit properly.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2010, 01:36 AM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
What type of widely available adhesive is ideal for re-bonding foam to plastic for a hockey helmet?

I have a 12 year old Bauer 3000 helmet and the foam insert has finally fallen out of the plastic exterior. I don't want to buy some pricey kit from a pro shop, I just want to go get an adhesive at a local store that's cheap, and effective. I'm not sure what type of glue/expoxy/cement will keep it well bonded and free of any damage to the plastic or foam.

This commonly seems to happen to old helmets, so I thought someone here might know the solution. Thanks for any help!
Helmet manufactures and USA Hockey recommends that you replace your helmet every three to four years. One of the reason is that the padding in the helmet gets hard and then limits the protective power of the helmet.

However, if you are an adult, I guess you have the ability to play at your own rink with or without a helmet. However, if you are playing in a sactioned league and you are registered with USA Hockey, I think they require that you wear a helmet.

One of the things that I did was send my helmet (like yours) to a company called Maltese (http://maltesehockey.com/) There they can insert replaceable medical jell pads within your helmet. When and if they go bad, they are held in with velcro pads for easy replacement...very cool!

Hope this helps.
Head coach

01-17-2010, 03:10 PM
krax

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaBacon View Post
I assume because then it wouldnt be comfortable and/or fit right
This is the definition of being tough

krax is offline   Reply With Quote