HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline - All proposals and speculation here.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-08-2010, 11:15 AM
  #251
SedinFan*
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta
Posts: 10,543
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
I don't see Florida biting on that package for Ballard. In fact, I don't see Florida as a good trading partner with the Canucks.

The only guys I'd be interested in on Florida are Allen, Ballard, Kulikov, Horton, Weiss, and Campbell. Getting all of those guys are virtually impossible next to Campbell, but he's cheap, does the dirty work and there's no reason for Florida to move him. Moore's a UFA at seasons end and appears to be the only logical target from both sides.

SedinFan* is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 11:26 AM
  #252
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,789
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Ballard plays top pairing competition, Bieksa does not.

You can't just compare GA/60 either. Ballard plays on a much worse defensive team which is going to affect his results. The last four seasons playing top pairing competition, amongst the top six defencemen on his team, Ballard has been 5th, 2nd, 3rd, and 2nd in GA/60. Bieksa while playing second/third pairing competition has been 5th, 6th, 6th, and 5th (this last one was against top pairing competition) in GA/60.
Actually that's a good point. I omitted to look at the QualComp and QualTeam ratings and Ballard not only faces stiffer competition (actually has one of the highest QualComp ratings in the league) but has a lower QualTeam rating than Bieksa too.

__________________
http://www.vancitynitetours.com
y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
02-08-2010, 11:26 AM
  #253
iamtherunner
Registered User
 
iamtherunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 502
vCash: 500
This is my first proposal so if it's absolutely horrible give me a break. It makes some sense to me.

To Van:
Moore
Allen

To Florida:
Bieksa
2nd (2011) or 3rd (2010) round pick

Vancouver frees up a bit of cap space for next season and gets a 3rd line centre for the playoffs.

iamtherunner is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 11:44 AM
  #254
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,789
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehcheat View Post
This is my first proposal so if it's absolutely horrible give me a break. It makes some sense to me.

To Van:
Moore
Allen

To Florida:
Bieksa
2nd (2011) or 3rd (2010) round pick

Vancouver frees up a bit of cap space for next season and gets a 3rd line centre for the playoffs.
I would be very reluctant to give up any 2011 draft picks, because it's supposed to be a very weak draft so I would like to see Gillis poach a solid RFA this off-season.

Some RFA defensemen still without a contract include:

Erik Johnson (won't happen)
Braydon Coburn (quite possible given Philly's cap situation)
Marc Staal
Kris Letang
Cody Franson
Matt Niskanen

and in terms of forwards some of interest that may be poachable include:

Peter Mueller
Andrew Cogliano
Sam Gagner
Blake Wheeler
Bobby Ryan
Devin Setoguchi
David Perron
Bryan Little
Steve Downie
Gilbert Brule

y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
02-08-2010, 11:49 AM
  #255
iamtherunner
Registered User
 
iamtherunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
I would be very reluctant to give up any 2011 draft picks, because it's supposed to be a very weak draft so I would like to see Gillis poach a solid RFA this off-season.
Yea good point, I suppose that draft pick could be replaced by one of our prospects or someone like Hansen (I'm not keen on trading Hansen though).

Is the value decent though? I think Florida would like this because they upgrade their defence and get something for the future in return for the UFA Moore.

iamtherunner is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 12:06 PM
  #256
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,789
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehcheat View Post
Yea good point, I suppose that draft pick could be replaced by one of our prospects or someone like Hansen (I'm not keen on trading Hansen though).

Is the value decent though? I think Florida would like this because they upgrade their defence and get something for the future in return for the UFA Moore.
It is but I honestly don't see what the point of trading Bieksa for Allen would be. Yeah Allen is probably more stable in his own zone than Bieksa, his offense is more limited but he's about as tough as Bieksa, but we'd still be paying a guy $3M+ to be a fringe 2nd pairing defenseman.

Now if we could do a similar deal for Volchenkov then I'd be all on board...

y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
02-08-2010, 01:16 PM
  #257
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 15,620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent007 View Post
It should be a pretty interesting week in the NHL.

We've already seen a lot more activity leading up to the NHL trade deadline then there was in the last few years.

The Olympic trade freeze is in effect from Feb 12 12pm (pacific time) until Feb 28 9pm (pacific time) which means that after the olympic break they'll only be 63 hours to make a deal before the trade deadline (March 3rd at 12pm pacific time).

It should be a pretty interesting week.
I think that 63 hour window after the Olympics will actually serve to cool the action on the trade front . G.M.'s don't seem to be able to get anything done unless their backs are against the wall. That safety net will probably prevent a lot of deals from being hammered out pre-Olympics.

Mike Gillis is in such an enviable position in that he only really needs to strengthen the bottom of his roster. If he can't accomplish that and Ryan Johnson is still in the lineup come playoff time it'll have to be looked upon as a complete failure on his part. I'm starting to wonder if Gillis and Vigneault are even aware that Johnson is one of if not the least effective two-way centreman in the NHL right now.

If Gillis can't upgrade one or two of his depth positions I'm going to lose a lot of faith in the guy. This could be the best Canuck team we see for the next 20 years and these opportunities don't come around too often. Now is not the time to be hoarding picks and prospects.

Drop the Sopel is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 01:19 PM
  #258
endlessdream83
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 388
vCash: 500
I don't say this as a joke: isn't $3M, give or take, now the current 'market' price for a fringe 2nd pairing D-man? I mean, that describes Cory Sarich (let's be charitable and say solid 2nd-pairing D-man) and he's earning almost $4M!

I don't think that Bieksa for Moore/Allen is too bad on paper, but I don't think they'd fit here, honestly. And I understand the point about saving our picks in 2011... since that deal would be done this trade deadline, '10 picks might make more sense.

endlessdream83 is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 01:23 PM
  #259
iamtherunner
Registered User
 
iamtherunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
It is but I honestly don't see what the point of trading Bieksa for Allen would be. Yeah Allen is probably more stable in his own zone than Bieksa, his offense is more limited but he's about as tough as Bieksa, but we'd still be paying a guy $3M+ to be a fringe 2nd pairing defenseman.

Now if we could do a similar deal for Volchenkov then I'd be all on board...
Allen's cap hit is 2.9 so we save almost a million in cap space. Also if we got Moore our lineup would pretty much be set for the playoffs.

To get Volchenkov from the Sens we would have to give up way,way more.

iamtherunner is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 02:18 PM
  #260
Ajackalit
Registered User
 
Ajackalit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
I would be very reluctant to give up any 2011 draft picks, because it's supposed to be a very weak draft so I would like to see Gillis poach a solid RFA this off-season.

Some RFA defensemen still without a contract include:

Erik Johnson (won't happen)
Braydon Coburn (quite possible given Philly's cap situation)
Marc Staal
Kris Letang
Cody Franson
Matt Niskanen

and in terms of forwards some of interest that may be poachable include:

Peter Mueller
Andrew Cogliano
Sam Gagner
Blake Wheeler
Bobby Ryan
Devin Setoguchi
David Perron
Bryan Little
Steve Downie
Gilbert Brule
The guy I'd be looking at is James Neal; he's exactly what this team needs IMO. Dallas may be financially vulnerable right now (their budget is fairly inflexible and well below the cap ceiling) and they have a similar player in Jamie Benn, so an offer of ~$4mm may be enough to shake him loose (I’d pay more on a longer term deal…something like $22mm over 5 years or a $4.4mm/yr cap hit). Bernier and/or Samuelsson would have to go to make room for him, but the upgrade would be well worth losing either/both of those two IMO.

Ajackalit is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 02:35 PM
  #261
pitseleh
Registered User
 
pitseleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,645
vCash: 500
If RFA compensation limits stay about the same as last year, the Canucks could go up to $4.5 million and have the compensation as just a first and a third. I agree that Neal makes a whole lot of sense though I don't know if Dallas can afford to let one of their few young forwards go. That said, their payroll this season is $46.5 million (not counting bonuses), so let's say they bump that up to $50 million. That would leave them $17 million to sign 7 or 8 forwards, 2 defencemen, and 2 goalies. That includes re-signing RFAs Brunnstrom, Niskanen, and Grossman.

Assuming the cap stays the same, the Canucks could probably make it work - if you get Kesler at $5 million, Raymond at $3 million, Neal at $4.5 million, and O'Brien at $2 million, jettisoning Bernier and replacing a defenceman with a cheaper option gets you in under the cap.

pitseleh is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 02:45 PM
  #262
Ajackalit
Registered User
 
Ajackalit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
If RFA compensation limits stay about the same as last year, the Canucks could go up to $4.5 million and have the compensation as just a first and a third. I agree that Neal makes a whole lot of sense though I don't know if Dallas can afford to let one of their few young forwards go. That said, their payroll this season is $46.5 million (not counting bonuses), so let's say they bump that up to $50 million. That would leave them $17 million to sign 7 or 8 forwards, 2 defencemen, and 2 goalies. That includes re-signing RFAs Brunnstrom, Niskanen, and Grossman.

Assuming the cap stays the same, the Canucks could probably make it work - if you get Kesler at $5 million, Raymond at $3 million, Neal at $4.5 million, and O'Brien at $2 million, jettisoning Bernier and replacing a defenceman with a cheaper option gets you in under the cap.
You know, it probably makes sense to bump the cap hit up to $4.6mm, so the cost is a first second and third round pick. Dallas would be more likely to let Neal walk with that 2nd in the mix. The Stars internal budget, IIRC, is directly tied to revenue….I wonder if their revenue is up this year???

Ajackalit is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 02:58 PM
  #263
TLinden16
Horse
 
TLinden16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieMFRoyal View Post
You know, it probably makes sense to bump the cap hit up to $4.6mm, so the cost is a first second and third round pick. Dallas would be more likely to let Neal walk with that 2nd in the mix. The Stars internal budget, IIRC, is directly tied to revenue….I wonder if their revenue is up this year???
Can't see Gillis bumping it up to that. He'd take a shot at the 1st and 3rd but for a guy that's been so keen on building this team from the ground up I can't see him sacrificing our first 3 rounds next season (even in a weak draft) for what would be a 2nd line winger (albeit a great one). 1st and 3rd, yeah maybe.

TLinden16 is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 03:14 PM
  #264
pitseleh
Registered User
 
pitseleh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,645
vCash: 500
I think Neal's well on his way to becoming a bonafide first liner. He's only 22 and already on pace for a 35 goal, 64 point season and he's good on the forecheck and an effective hitter.

This decade, only Malkin, Ovechkin, Staal, Kessel, Semin, Crosby, Heatley, Nash, and Thornton broke 35 goals by the age of 22 (Neal will join them if he keeps up his current pace).

You can add Toews, Comrie, Gagne, Lecavalier, Hossa, Kopitar, Stamkos, Bergeron, Havlat, Horton, Little, Parise, Ryan, Setoguchi, and Gaborik as the only players to break 30 at that age. Neal's all but a lock to do the same unless he gets injured. Comrie sticks out like a sore thumb, but other than him you have a bunch of players that are first liners or on their way to becoming first liners.

pitseleh is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 03:46 PM
  #265
TLinden16
Horse
 
TLinden16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I think Neal's well on his way to becoming a bonafide first liner. He's only 22 and already on pace for a 35 goal, 64 point season and he's good on the forecheck and an effective hitter.

This decade, only Malkin, Ovechkin, Staal, Kessel, Semin, Crosby, Heatley, Nash, and Thornton broke 35 goals by the age of 22 (Neal will join them if he keeps up his current pace).

You can add Toews, Comrie, Gagne, Lecavalier, Hossa, Kopitar, Stamkos, Bergeron, Havlat, Horton, Little, Parise, Ryan, Setoguchi, and Gaborik as the only players to break 30 at that age. Neal's all but a lock to do the same unless he gets injured. Comrie sticks out like a sore thumb, but other than him you have a bunch of players that are first liners or on their way to becoming first liners.

I agree but goals don't seem to be a problem for the team, another year of growth in Kesler and Raymond will further solidify them as a dangerous 2nd line. Sedins and Burrows won't be broken up, he is the perfect fit with them. So, spend 4.5M of our cap space (limited already) on winger who will be on the 2nd line, or fill that space with Grabner/Shiro/cheaper FA/Samuelsson, and focus on our bottom 6 that next season contains Bernier, Hordichuk, Rypien and MAYBE Hansen (RFA). It needs an upgrade badly.

TLinden16 is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 03:54 PM
  #266
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van
 
Lucbourdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,037
vCash: 500
Rebuild our fourth/third line.

Our top 2 lines are fine.

James neil would be nice addition.
Danny carcillo would be a nice addition.
Brandon prust would be a nice addition to our fourth line
That would already fix a lot of problems.

bring up cody and bring up grabby (if we need too)

sedin sedin burrows
raymond(Overall mix) kesler (Overall mix) grabner (Sniper)
Carcillo (dig for pucks) Neil (Overall mix and hits well) Sammy(Prust)(Shooter)
(Get somebody who can shoot) hodgson(Playmaker) Prust(sammy) (Somebody that can dig pucks out)(I have seen prust he is not some plug)

That would be sexy (That fourth line can even be our third line if need be)

Mix and match we can have 4 nice offensive scoring lines, and in a gritty game, play the neil carcillo line more.


Last edited by Lucbourdon: 02-08-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Lucbourdon is online now  
Old
02-08-2010, 03:54 PM
  #267
StrictlyCommercial
Registered User
 
StrictlyCommercial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I think Neal's well on his way to becoming a bonafide first liner. He's only 22 and already on pace for a 35 goal, 64 point season and he's good on the forecheck and an effective hitter.

This decade, only Malkin, Ovechkin, Staal, Kessel, Semin, Crosby, Heatley, Nash, and Thornton broke 35 goals by the age of 22 (Neal will join them if he keeps up his current pace).

You can add Toews, Comrie, Gagne, Lecavalier, Hossa, Kopitar, Stamkos, Bergeron, Havlat, Horton, Little, Parise, Ryan, Setoguchi, and Gaborik as the only players to break 30 at that age. Neal's all but a lock to do the same unless he gets injured. Comrie sticks out like a sore thumb, but other than him you have a bunch of players that are first liners or on their way to becoming first liners.
Which is why Dallas will match any offer in the $4-5M range.

StrictlyCommercial is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 03:54 PM
  #268
StrictlyCommercial
Registered User
 
StrictlyCommercial's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Rebuild our fourth/third line.

Our top 2 lines are fine.

James neil would be nice addition.
Danny carcillo would be a nice addition.
Brandon prust would be a nice addition to our fourth line
That would already fix a lot of problems.

bring up cody and bring up grabby (if we need too)

sedin sedin bur
raymond kesler grabner (sammy)
Grabby (sammy) hodgson *Sign somebody*
Carcillo Neil Prust

That would be sexy (That fourth line can even be our third line if need be)
James Neal as your 4th line center? I assume you mean Chris Neil.

StrictlyCommercial is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 04:02 PM
  #269
Jesus Quintana*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
I would be very reluctant to give up any 2011 draft picks, because it's supposed to be a very weak draft so I would like to see Gillis poach a solid RFA this off-season.

Some RFA defensemen still without a contract include:

Erik Johnson (won't happen)
Braydon Coburn (quite possible given Philly's cap situation)
Marc Staal
Kris Letang
Cody Franson
Matt Niskanen

and in terms of forwards some of interest that may be poachable include:

Peter Mueller
Andrew Cogliano
Sam Gagner
Blake Wheeler
Bobby Ryan
Devin Setoguchi
David Perron
Bryan Little
Steve Downie
Gilbert Brule
OMG -Setoguchi would be unreal.

Jesus Quintana* is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 04:04 PM
  #270
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van
 
Lucbourdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrictlyCommercial View Post
James Neal as your 4th line center? I assume you mean Chris Neil.
I edited a lot since my original post.

I wanted more for a 4 lines that can score Idea, then the whole must have 1 line to hit 1 line to score 1 line that can kinda product and 1 line that can fight mentality.

Lucbourdon is online now  
Old
02-08-2010, 04:18 PM
  #271
Ajackalit
Registered User
 
Ajackalit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post
Can't see Gillis bumping it up to that. He'd take a shot at the 1st and 3rd but for a guy that's been so keen on building this team from the ground up I can't see him sacrificing our first 3 rounds next season (even in a weak draft) for what would be a 2nd line winger (albeit a great one). 1st and 3rd, yeah maybe.
2011 is shaping up o be a lot worse than jsut weak; it's being compared to 1999. Go back and look at the hit rate in the 2nd and third round of that draft.....not a single impact player taken. basically, the only legitimate impact players taken in the first THREE rounds of that draft were the Sedins, Jackman and Havlat.....maybe you can make a case for Hagman too, but calling him impact is a stretch IMO. Outside of the top 5 picks, the 2011 draft is going to be a total crapshoot and Neal, on the other hand, is a very physical winger with enough skill to play in our top 6 now. The way I see it, we have a 4-5 year window with our core group....it's probably time to make a few riskyish moves and I'd be willing (eager) to give up our first 3 picks in 2011 to bring in Neal

Ajackalit is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 04:27 PM
  #272
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality
 
y2kcanucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,789
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
I would love to have James Neal as a second line winger here. He would add some grit to our top 6, as well as more goal scoring ability.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Neal
Grabner-Hodgson-Samuelsson
Glass-Bolduc-Rypien

I can live with that offense. What I'm concerned about is our defense though...it would be really nice if we could somehow get rid of Sami Salo's contract.

y2kcanucks is online now  
Old
02-08-2010, 04:46 PM
  #273
Canucker
Registered User
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Prince Rupert, BC
Posts: 18,540
vCash: 500
This team needs a sparkplug type player, someone who goes out when the team is sleepwalking and sparks some intensity with some physical play, trash talking and mean spirited play...or as Brian Burke would call it, "truculence" . We need a human heat seeking missile like Steve Webb used to be for the Islanders or Cal Clutterbuck for Minny. If we can't acquire someone before the season I think it needs to be addressed during this off-season because its something this team is sorely missing. I wouldn't mind a guy like Steve Downie if he weren't that expensive. Ott would be my first choice tho.

Canucker is online now  
Old
02-08-2010, 04:48 PM
  #274
VanEric
Registered User
 
VanEric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,344
vCash: 500
Joe Nieuwendyk's not an idiot. James Neal should be untouchable.

VanEric is offline  
Old
02-08-2010, 04:50 PM
  #275
Kid_Roll
Registered User
 
Kid_Roll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,538
vCash: 500
Steve Webb had that one epic series against the Leafs back in the day. 2002 was it? Something around there. That series itself was an amaziung series, but to have an entire arena chanting your name in the playoffs, it doesn't get better than that.


His career died shortly thereafter sadly.

Kid_Roll is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.