HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

What's your hope for the playoff?

Old
01-19-2010, 10:26 AM
Komarov47

vCash: 500
What's your hope for the playoff?

Assuming the Yotes stay between the 4th and 6th place, what's your hope for the upcoming playoff? How far do ya think the Yotes will go? What would be the best team to play against?

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Honestly I don't want to think that far ahead since we haven't earned a playoff spot yet.
I will say though that there will be no Stanley Cup for the Coyotes.

IMO I would be happy with a 1st round sweep than missing the playoffs again. At least then I know that the team is really progressing instead of having seasons where we continue to fall just short by a matter of a few points as each season passes no matter how well we did in the 1st half of each of those seasons.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 10:41 AM
pyregretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Big Bear View Post
Assuming the Yotes stay between the 4th and 6th place, what's your hope for the upcoming playoff? How far do ya think the Yotes will go? What would be the best team to play against?
I think it is too soon to say. Between the trading deadline(if anything does/doesn't happen) and possible injuries down the stretch(for the Coyotes and other teams) everything is up in the air. As things stand today I think if we played Nashville it would be an incredibly close and tense series and I could see a Colorado series going either way(I think we'd have a better chance against the Avs).

pyregretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 10:43 AM
pfp

Quote:
I definitly think we'll make the playoffs but without some big moves at the trade deadline and everyone healthy I've got serious doubts that well make it past round 1 no matter who we play.

pfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyregretzky View Post
I think it is too soon to say. Between the trading deadline(if anything does/doesn't happen) and possible injuries down the stretch(for the Coyotes and other teams) everything is up in the air. As things stand today I think if we played Nashville it would be an incredibly close and tense series and I could see a Colorado series going either way(I think we'd have a better chance against the Avs).
We have yet to Nashville this season and they have owned us in the past.
It will be interesting to see how the Coyotes respond since we took Fiddler from them.

I have no confidence vs the Avs since their speed skill and muscle in the 1st game was the answer to Tippett's system early on and Colorado spanked Edmonton 6-0 last night.
The Avs young players are playing well beyond their years.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Komarov47

Damn a serie against the Preds would be very intense and close like you said.

Komarov47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:22 PM
krepitch
Coyote Fan

I don't want to assume we'll end up between fourth and sixth, but if we finish seventh or eighth, a series against San Jose might be very interesting, considering how the teams have played so far this season.

krepitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 04:04 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

My hope is that they actually make it and at this point that's very much up in the air!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 04:40 PM
pyregretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by krepitch View Post
I don't want to assume we'll end up between fourth and sixth, but if we finish seventh or eighth, a series against San Jose might be very interesting, considering how the teams have played so far this season.
There is a part of me that strongly wants to see Chicago play Detroit and San Jose play LA in the first round. I could see the Coyotes facing the Sharks as a positive and a negative. As much as it would be great to be the team that knocks them off their roster(playoffs or not) still scares me. Plus it is more fun to think of the possibilities that we could have home ice for at least a round

pyregretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

I think the players brought in at the trade deadline last year (Prucha, Lombardi, and Upshall) should be pretty good playoff performers as they all play a hard style of hockey. The players brought in the offseason also play a pretty hard style of hockey (Aucoin, Vandermeer, Fiddler, Pyatt). I'm not sure how Vrbata, Lang would hold up in playoff hockey, but the other additions make me hope that this team could have success in a playoff series, and even win one.

I'm just glad to have these players instead of what was in place for most of the last 4 years during Gretzky's time.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 05:31 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
IMO I would be happy with a 1st round sweep than missing the playoffs aga
Assuming they make it, I would prefer they not get embarrassed. At least win some home games.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 07:38 PM
CitizenCoyote

They really just need to make it. That would be fine with me -- in fact it would exceed my expectations going into the season. Anything after that is gravy.

But, if we're dreaming, a first round series win would be awesome for this franchise. It's been 25 years.

At a minimum, if we make it, I'd like to see a series go at least 5 games (or if we somehow get home ice 6 games). Getting at least a third home game is worth about $1.5 million more for the club in gate receipts, keeps hockey going a few extra weeks in the Valley, and maybe builds some momentum for the next year.

CitizenCoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Robotbike

My guess is, if our goaltending is good to great, we're in. If our goaltending is only average we're out. Not exactly earth-shattering analysis, I know.

Robotbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Stump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotbike View Post
My guess is, if our goaltending is good to great, we're in. If our goaltending is only average we're out. Not exactly earth-shattering analysis, I know.
Maybe not earth-shattering, but it's true. Bryzgalov will probably determine whether we are in or not.

Stump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:23 PM
Matzel

Send a message via MSN to Matzel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stump View Post
Maybe not earth-shattering, but it's true. Bryzgalov will probably determine whether we are in or not.
Bryz is in a bit of a funk right now, but I hope he can find his first half of the season form soon. If he does, the playoffs are a realistic goal... if not the odds are minuscule.

Aside from goaltending, I worry about 'intensity'. Throughout the first part of this season, the Coyotes have won games by out-hustling, out-working their opponents. Clubs in the hunt for the playoffs will ratchet up the intensity going forward and I wonder if that will neutralize the advantage the Coyotes have had.

Matzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 10:22 PM
howlincoyote2k1

My hope? Make the playoffs.

howlincoyote2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 03:14 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

We've been getting some help on the out-of-town scoreboard of late (SJ and Chicago are separating themselves from the rest of the pack and the East has bit back a bit), but that won't last forever. Every team goes through a funk, but I worry we don't have the horses to work our way out of it if it continues. Hovering around .500 on an extended homestand simply isn't good enough, especially with a lot of tough road games to worry about over the last 30 games.

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 03:57 PM
JulesWinnfield

Weren't we in the same position this time last year? Can someone help me compile a list of what's different this year to convince me that we won't bomb after the Olympic break. Two main points that come to my mind are:

1. New/improved coaching
2. More veterans/ better role players.

Please add more. Bryz has played better this year than last year but I am not sure if that is due to the new coaching system or just him playing better than he can for a couple months and now he is coming back to reality.

JulesWinnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 04:56 PM
CitizenCoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyC83 View Post
Weren't we in the same position this time last year? Can someone help me compile a list of what's different this year to convince me that we won't bomb after the Olympic break. Two main points that come to my mind are:

1. New/improved coaching
2. More veterans/ better role players.

Please add more. Bryz has played better this year than last year but I am not sure if that is due to the new coaching system or just him playing better than he can for a couple months and now he is coming back to reality.
I'd make a few points. First, we are in slightly better position this year than last. We have 8 more points after 50 games this year than we did last. That's somewhat significant. If we have the same kind of collapse as we did last year (12-18-2 in the final 32 games), we obviously won't be going to the playoffs. But we've put ourselves in position where .500 hockey gets us to 93 points. That's a better starting point than we had last year after 50 games, although we had not played as many home games last year as we have this year at this point. Second, we are a better road team this year. At this point, last year, we were 8-13-3 on the road. This year, we have a winning record.

That's something at least. But it doesn't change the ultimate issue that many have noted, which I agree with. With a 2.75 GA or better Bryz, we should make it. With a 3+ Bryz, we're going to need to find some unexpected offense from an unusual place to make it.

Old
01-20-2010, 05:13 PM
ShootThePuckCoyotes

My Wish....

...is that I wouldn't hear any talk about playoff's until later in the year when we have clinched a spot in the playoff's. I might be in the minority but I hate the disappointment of not making them so much more if I get my hopes up rather than being pleasantly surprised if we do make them.

ShootThePuckCoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 05:27 PM
pfp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootThePuckCoyotes View Post
...is that I wouldn't hear any talk about playoff's until later in the year when we have clinched a spot in the playoff's. I might be in the minority but I hate the disappointment of not making them so much more if I get my hopes up rather than being pleasantly surprised if we do make them.
While I tend to agreee with that I dobut we'll clinch a spot till April and holding back the talk tilll then is unrealistic.

pfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 05:45 PM
CitizenCoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirShagg View Post
While I tend to agreee with that I dobut we'll clinch a spot till April and holding back the talk tilll then is unrealistic.
For better or worse, I actually think things may become pretty clear by the Olympic break. I think 15 points in the next 13 games is where we need to be. Given how we are playing, that's going to be a serious task. But anything less will make the sprint to the finish very difficult for this team. Obviously, we cannot have a sustained losing streak at any point and hope to make it -- no team other than the Sharks or Hawks can in the west. But 76 points by the break would be a very major accomplishment, I think, given our schedule and the home/road split, and I see it as something of a defining number.

I agree that nobody outside of the Hawks and Sharks is going to clinch anything until late in the season. But I do think the next few weeks are the most important in the season for the Coyotes.

Old
01-20-2010, 11:17 PM
Llewzaher

Quote:
The Calgary Flames ...and we go to the second round ..
Any other team I don't think we do . Calgary has the same issue as Phoenix has . They are a good "team " but they have mental issues . It is easy to get in their head. They play down or up to their competition . And when they win a game they shouldn't have won , they think they are better than they are and fall apart for about 4 or 5 games. ( though this has happened only once to Pho, and is still going on ) . Calgary is one team where if you get them frustrated , they can totally fall apart.. kind of like the Yotes (especially Bryz) It would come down to coaching basically.

I am not confident playing any other team in the first round of the playoffs.. Maybe SanJose , since they will have mind games going on always losing badly in the playoffs. But even then I think we lose. If we do manage to get out of the first round i think the next series would not be close. Either we gain tremendous confidence and play incredible , or we have head games thinking they finally got past the first round , and they stop playing ..

just some opinions

Last edited by Llewzaher: 01-20-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Llewzaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:46 PM

With the win against the Predators last night the Coyotes have 63 points in 51 games, 31 games remaining. Each of the past two seasons it took a minimum of 91 points to make the playoffs in the West and I believe 95 points the two years previous to that.

Based on those thresholds:
Coyotes need to go 14-17 in their remaining games to reach 91 points
Coyotes need to go 16-15 in their remaining games to reach 95 points

That's pretty impressive that at this point in the season the Coyotes could probably make the playoffs if they played .500 hockey the rest of the way. Of course this isn't a new situation for the Coyotes, who sat is playoff contention each of the prior two seasons up to the all-star break. Last year the Coyotes finished 12-19 in their last 31 and 11-20 the year before.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

I'd like to at least play the maximum amount of home games as possible during our first round series, provided we make the playoffs. It would also be great if we won and played well during those games.

Blubba Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote