HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Petr Sykora, Robbie Earl (Minnesota), Tim Brent (Toronto) - all clear

Old
01-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wario Lemieux View Post
Sykora will clear.
Legendary hockey franchise seeks winger, 18 - 34, for top forward position. Ability to bury pucks in an open net a plus. Some travel involved, especially around Christmas. Former Leafs need not apply.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:16 AM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Sykora doesn't strike me as a Sacco type player. I think Sykora would be in Sacco's doghouse before too long.

I suppose it's worth the minimal risk. We could use some scoring from the left side (errr I guess right side too now that Hejduk's out).
This, but the avs could use a veteran winger.

Drij is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 04:35 AM
fIREnIcE

As one of my all-time fav players *when he had a heart or had a pice of one and just relying on all that talent, that seems to be gone now and to me IMHO he's used up all his "maybe he can cards if."

I really see him not getting picked up, if he deciedes to stick around and try play in the A maybe he'll work his butt off and find the right fit see Samsonov or Ruutu(C.), therefore maybe he needs a trip to the Carolinas.

Or as much I wish it would work out he might fit in with the Devils (although he only would have a short period of time to regain form,) as there are alot of players coming back and it would be the right time with the looks of Peters being showed the door himself. All the pieces are there minus Arnott but maybe with a big body like Arnott in Zubrus at center and Elias on the wing when he returns and Lemaire behind thge bench this would be his best shot to recapture something. Rolston isnt really living up to anything close to expectation so I can see Lou looking for more threats of goal scoring.

But honestly I see him heading to Europe or the KHL, and getting paid for his name and once great play. Sad way to go out Petr and a waste of very special talents.

fIREnIcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:29 AM
bleuetbio

how much Sykora will count ont he cap hit?.... probably something like 750K$$$ ????

So in Montreal, I take him for the missing link in the top 6 during our injuries (A. Kostitsyn right now) Plekanec and him are from the same country.... He played with Gomez and Gionta in NJ so maybe the chemistry could be good. Anyway, I take him for our 3rd line. Our bottom 6 didnt score since the invention of the wheel

bleuetbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuetbio View Post
how much Sykora will count ont he cap hit?.... probably something like 750K$$$ ????

So in Montreal, I take him for the missing link in the top 6 during our injuries (A. Kostitsyn right now) Plekanec and him are from the same country.... He played with Gomez and Gionta in NJ so maybe the chemistry could be good. Anyway, I take him for our 3rd line. Our bottom 6 didnt score since the invention of the wheel
He didn't play directly with Gomez and Gionta.....in 2000 he was always with Patrik Elias and Jason Arnott. Gionta replaced Sykora. You're looking for chemistry when there is none.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:41 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
The first two teams I thought of were:

1) Ottawa - the only other team I remember actually being interested in signing Sykora back in July
2) Montreal - could be a good fit on the 2nd line with Andrei Kostityn out ~6 weeks.
We didn't do anything when there was horrendous injuries - and now that the team is seemingly coming together, I doubt we do it now.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I think his cap hit would be about $600k or so.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:15 AM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
We didn't do anything when there was horrendous injuries - and now that the team is seemingly coming together, I doubt we do it now.
3-4 weeks ago I think Murray would have been all over him, but now I would say he will pass

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:28 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
bah...just let him slink off to the KHL and compete with Branko Radivojevic and Mattias Weinhandl for a spot in the top ten for scoring.

the Wild is merely a stepping stone for glory in the KHL.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Both cleared waivers per Russo:

Quote:
Veteran Petr Sykora and winger Robbie Earl cleared waivers this morning.

The Wild hasn't announced its plans for Earl as of yet. Either he'll stay with the club for up to 10 games/30 days before waivers are required again, or he'll be reassigned to Houston. Brian Stensaas emailed me that Martin Havlat's not practicing today, so if he's sick or hurt, the Wild probably needs Earl, who did practice today, to stay since he's the only extra with Sykora seemingly out of the loop.

As for Sykora, GM Chuck Fletcher and Sykora have to resolve this issue. Re-entry waivers are an option (assign him to Houston, recall him so a team could possibly take him at half the cap with half the cap being charged to the Wild, roughly 340K each).

A trade is another option, and I think the most likely. A team interested in Sykora may need the Wild to take a player back to rid salary for budgetary/cap purposes. I do hear that Fletcher's had trade talks regarding Sykora and something could be close.

Europe, even though there is a European assignment clause, is not an option, I'm told. That option has to be mutually agreed to, and Sykora't not going there, I'm told.

Buyout's an option, too.

Old
01-20-2010, 11:30 AM
Canuckle
West Coast Express

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
That's what he said
LOLOLOL. nice one michael scott.

Canuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:36 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

why would anyone trade for him if they can pick him up for $340k? why give up the assets?

Old
01-20-2010, 11:40 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
why would anyone trade for him if they can pick him up for $340k? why give up the assets?
Could be just to dump a contract. Maybe a teams at the 50 man limit, so they move a guy who's a career AHLer for Sykora.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:47 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

heh, but i don't know why the wild would be interested in that case. we have enough guys in the system that will (should) never touch NHL ice.

unless a fancy 5th round pick is the centerpiece.

Old
01-20-2010, 11:48 AM
BigHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i think they are referring to a team with cap issues that a trade could be set up that the wild take back some cap with sykora going the other way to help the other team with a player and financially.

by doing this they relieve cap which ever team would do this but a pick probably would have to go as well.

same thing when even burke took on kolzig,petiot, and i forgot the last player. but the deal was set up for the lightning to free up much needed cap space and they sent 2 picks along the way to the leafs for taking on the cap hit.

BigHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:49 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Shhh....we got Latendresse for Pouliot

Old
01-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Oh, it also occurred to me that other GM's are seeing Sykora as high maintenance, so they may want to not only clear a little cap room in a trade but make sure that it's a good fit for the locker room.

Old
01-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Scrodo Baggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakmybush View Post
I just came in her to post that, Brent is Leafs property
Do you think that your post was worth doing that?

Scrodo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:11 PM
barneyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Oh, it also occurred to me that other GM's are seeing Sykora as high maintenance, so they may want to not only clear a little cap room in a trade but make sure that it's a good fit for the locker room.
..or maybe the other GM's look at him, his stats from the 2nd half of last year, and think "ew, maybe he's done".

barneyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:13 PM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
3-4 weeks ago I think Murray would have been all over him, but now I would say he will pass
Yeah exactly.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:00 PM
wobblyleafsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
Tim Brent.....LOFF.

Sykora will get a look from the Rangers, I think.

Wasn't Brent drafted twice?
The Leafs have Tim Brent signed. how is this possible? I can't post any new threads. could someone post this question on the trade rumours?

Where will Ray Whitney go?

wobblyleafsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:09 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I don't think teams will trade for Sykora right now. Maybe at the deadline, but not right now.

I think re-entry waivers are more likely.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 09:03 AM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Both cleared waivers per Russo:
As for Russo's Blog from Yesterday

Quote:
I had a conversation with General Manager Chuck Fletcher this afternoon regarding veteran Petr Sykora, who cleared waivers. The next step? Trying to trade him.

As I mentioned on the previous blog, Fletcher and Sykora's agent, Allan Walsh, are working the phones to try to find Sykora another job. This is a cap world, with 11 teams up within a million of the $56.8 million camp. So between cap and budgetary issues (i.e. real money), Fletcher knew Sykora would likely not be claimed. Most teams, if interested in Sykora, would need the Wild to take back salary. Fletcher is willing to do that if it's a player that makes sense.

There are definitely interested teams and this should be resolved in the next few days. He's not sending him to Houston. Sykora's not willing to play in Europe at this late juncture. He wants to stay in the NHL, and Fletcher will try to make that happen. If he can't trade him, re-entry waivers are always an option (getting another team to take him at half price, or about 335 K each).

Fletcher expects to be able to make a move though. Some of the interested teams have cap problems as it is and might need to make a move first to accomodate a trade or roster addition.

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 09:07 AM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Dagostini for Sykora and a 3rd rounder? Any interest?

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 09:27 AM
REF

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Interesting moves from the Minnesota side. Someone else has to be coming in. Earl needs to be put on wavier to go back to Houston, so that's not a shock. He'd done his job well though. But waiving both is surprising. We don't have any extra forwards on the active roster without those two.
Sounds like a trade coming...any local rumours?

REF is offline   Reply With Quote