HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

How good are Taylor Hall, Seguin & Fowler

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-19-2010, 11:40 AM
  #1
AK Dandyman
Registered User
 
AK Dandyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,032
vCash: 500
How good are Taylor Hall, Seguin & Fowler

Now that most of us are convinced we are likely drafting top 3 in the 2010 Draft, I am really interested in the career prospects of these 3 players. While i know there is no Crosby or Ovechkin in this draft, i am hoping that these 3 guys might turn out to be as good as a Kane, Stamkos, Doughty etc....

I don't watch enough junior games to have any clue, so here i have some questions to the posters here who have watched or have some good info on the Junior players available in the upcoming draft:

1. How good are Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin & Cam Fowler in comparison to the top players in the last say 7 drafts?

2. What is their projected career ceilings?

3. What current players would you compare those 3 players to?

4. Which one of the three is the safest pick & which one is the high risk high reward one?


Feel free to add any questions. Thanks.

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 11:52 AM
  #2
GDU
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,375
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK Dandyman View Post
Now that most of us are convinced we are likely drafting top 3 in the 2010 Draft, I am really interested in the career prospects of these 3 players. While i know there is no Crosby or Ovechkin in this draft, i am hoping that these 3 guys might turn out to be as good as a Kane, Stamkos, Doughty etc....

I don't watch enough junior games to have any clue, so here i have some questions to the posters here who have watched or have some good info on the Junior players available in the upcoming draft:

1. How good are Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin & Cam Fowler in comparison to the top players in the last say 7 drafts?

hall has been touted by many scouts as the most dynamic offensive talent since crosby and as a similar player to stamkos but with better speed and a better shot.

seguin has been compared to more of a playmaking centre who can skate and probably would be best compared from anyone to yzerman to spezza to getzlaf...

fowler is quite possibly the best player in this draft and plays very simlar to drew doughty, but perhaps with mroe grit and a little less offense....

just my take from what i've seen and read



2. What is their projected career ceilings?

3. What current players would you compare those 3 players to?

4. Which one of the three is the safest pick & which one is the high risk high reward one?

there is no "safe' pick... hall seems to be ready to handle the pressures of being number one, but seguin seems to want it as well... very much a duschene/taveres repeat from last year


Feel free to add any questions. Thanks.
....

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:05 PM
  #3
MinnesotaFats
Registered User
 
MinnesotaFats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,942
vCash: 50
I dont like how Hall played against the US in the WJC. Bigger dmen playing a more physical game seemed to make him invisible. A bit worrisome IMO - you have to wonder how he would handle the transition to the NHL.

I think that Seguin is the safest pick. Hall has the most upside but is the riskiest IMO. I havent seen enough of Fowler to judge, but he looks great.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:16 PM
  #4
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
I dont like how Hall played against the US in the WJC. Bigger dmen playing a more physical game seemed to make him invisible. A bit worrisome IMO - you have to wonder how he would handle the transition to the NHL.

I think that Seguin is the safest pick. Hall has the most upside but is the riskiest IMO. I havent seen enough of Fowler to judge, but he looks great.
Hall scored and had 2a in the gold medal game, what more did you want? He was a draft eligible guy going up against guys drafted 2 years before him. He did way more then Stamkos did at the WJC.

Seguin is the safe pick because Hall scored 12p at the WJC while Seguin was cut? I see Hall as very low risk. Plus we already have two playmaking wingers in the system in Hemsky and MPS, shouldn't we get a scoring C?

My only concern with Fowler is his shot isn't the best. That being said, his skating, passing and vision are near Doughty level.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:19 PM
  #5
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 12,738
vCash: 500
For me, it's Hall or bust.

As good as Seguin/Fowler/Gormley/etc are, Hall is a clear cut above them.

Using last year's draft as an example, it's like comparing Duchene or Kane to Tavares.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:41 PM
  #6
Starscream
Registered User
 
Starscream's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Riverview NB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,015
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
For me, it's Hall or bust.

As good as Seguin/Fowler/Gormley/etc are, Hall is a clear cut above them.

Using last year's draft as an example, it's like comparing Duchene or Kane to Tavares.
I actully think Hall and Seguin are little like Tavares and Duchene from last year.

Hall and Tavares are the more flashy players
Seguin and Duchene are the more complete players
you can't go wrong drafting either.

Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 12:41 PM
  #7
Oilerdiehard
Registered User
 
Oilerdiehard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
I dont like how Hall played against the US in the WJC. Bigger dmen playing a more physical game seemed to make him invisible. A bit worrisome IMO - you have to wonder how he would handle the transition to the NHL.

I think that Seguin is the safest pick. Hall has the most upside but is the riskiest IMO. I havent seen enough of Fowler to judge, but he looks great.
I never quite get people being all worried upon one single game. We seen the exact same thing with Tavares and Patrick Kane for instance. People seen a bad game and then they were talking about no heart (and he was invisible in the OHL playoffs last season) or too small for Kane to handle NHL D men etc... When you get into the top 2 picks area. So many sets of eyes that are great predictors of hockey talent have went over the kid with a fine tooth comb. That judging one game or even a couple of games on whether you want the guy is a bit silly IMO. Now if you feel it is a toss up between Hall and Seguin, for various reasons, that is a debate I could see more value in.

Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 01:27 PM
  #8
MinnesotaFats
Registered User
 
MinnesotaFats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,942
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Hall scored and had 2a in the gold medal game, what more did you want? He was a draft eligible guy going up against guys drafted 2 years before him. He did way more then Stamkos did at the WJC.

Seguin is the safe pick because Hall scored 12p at the WJC while Seguin was cut? I see Hall as very low risk. Plus we already have two playmaking wingers in the system in Hemsky and MPS, shouldn't we get a scoring C?

My only concern with Fowler is his shot isn't the best. That being said, his skating, passing and vision are near Doughty level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilerdiehard View Post
I never quite get people being all worried upon one single game. We seen the exact same thing with Tavares and Patrick Kane for instance. People seen a bad game and then they were talking about no heart (and he was invisible in the OHL playoffs last season) or too small for Kane to handle NHL D men etc... When you get into the top 2 picks area. So many sets of eyes that are great predictors of hockey talent have went over the kid with a fine tooth comb. That judging one game or even a couple of games on whether you want the guy is a bit silly IMO. Now if you feel it is a toss up between Hall and Seguin, for various reasons, that is a debate I could see more value in.
I just see Hall as being the riskier or the two. Seguin has put up identical numbers as Hall this year on a mediocre team with very little help. Goals, assists, points are almost identical at this point. That Seguin is purely a playmaker is BS.

Hall scored in the Gold medal game, but the US D seemed to intimidate him.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 01:32 PM
  #9
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
I just see Hall as being the riskier or the two. Seguin has put up identical numbers as Hall this year on a mediocre team with very little help. Goals, assists, points are almost identical at this point. That Seguin is purely a playmaker is BS.

Hall scored in the Gold medal game, but the US D seemed to intimidate him.
Yeah, it's too bad Seguin didn't make the team so we could compare them directly. Since we can't, I'll stick with the guy who doubled Stamkos's WJC point totals

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 01:47 PM
  #10
MinnesotaFats
Registered User
 
MinnesotaFats's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,942
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Yeah, it's too bad Seguin didn't make the team so we could compare them directly. Since we can't, I'll stick with the guy who doubled Stamkos's WJC point totals
Fair enough. Id be happy to get either. If the Oilers pick first though, right now Im inclined to go with Seguin because, as I said, I see him as being the safer pick - Im risk averse, thats just me. The last thing this team needs is to finally get a #1 overall pick and end up getting the next Daigle. There has been an unbelievable string of very good #1 overall picks - Id hate for that string to break with the Oilers.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 02:08 PM
  #11
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,180
vCash: 500
No one knows for sure until they play in the NHL so you can't say Hall is a clear cut above all the others at this moment.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 02:36 PM
  #12
czar99
Registered User
 
czar99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shultz'z Place
Posts: 3,924
vCash: 50
If Seguin is so good, why did he get cut from juniors this year?

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 02:40 PM
  #13
myteammytown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
If Seguin is so good, why did he get cut from juniors this year?
do we really need to start listing the players who didnt make their world junior team but went on to be stars in the nhl?

myteammytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 02:44 PM
  #14
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY
 
Uncle Grouchy Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
I think Seguin is the guy, I believe he is the more pure goal scorer type.

Uncle Grouchy Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 02:46 PM
  #15
Boozers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
If Seguin is so good, why did he get cut from juniors this year?
Its like saying If Hall was so good why was he cut from world junior's last year? Hall is in his 3rd junior year Seguin is only in his 2nd. Too many In my mind just look at who made Team Canada to see If they are good or not which is BS

Boozers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 02:52 PM
  #16
HopelessOilFan
Registered User
 
HopelessOilFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,286
vCash: 500
I dont understand where your getting the "safer pick" feeling from seguin.
From what i understand, Hall has been on peoples radars for years and has made every transition with ease, where as Seguin kind of, came out of nowhere this year.

Also, Hall is said to have much better speed and because of that is better at backchecking and getting into position to defend/take shots.
I hear Seguin is also good in the defensive zone, but speed is such a huge part of the jump, i dont see why you assume Hall isnt the safest bet.

Sure he got pushed around a bit at the WJC, but as many have mentioned, he was the only draft eligable player in the draft and in my opinion wasnt nearly as bad or weak on the puck as alot of people seem to think. Whats to say Seguin wouldnt have been pushed around at the WJC as well?

I've become very excited at the thought of Seguin or Fowler, as i dont feel we can keep up this losing streak for long and are bound to win a few, but Hall is still who i would pick first overall. He seems to be the most complete of the two, simply because his natural ability to backcheck, where as seguin looks like he will be a bit more of a threat in the offensive zone.

The speed of cogs, the shot of stamkos, and the moves (deke wise) of Hemsky when he's on and from what i've seen he wants to win, thats almost too good to pass up.

HopelessOilFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 02:53 PM
  #17
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
I will honestly be happy with either Hall or Seguin. The fact that hall could jump into the NHL next year might make it easier on Eberle making the transition. However since we won't be a competative team next year it would be nice to save a year of an elc and thus going with Seguin would be beneficial in this regard. At this point I think both players will be stars so I'm honestly not gonna be fussy.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 02:54 PM
  #18
CupofOil
Registered User
 
CupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rock Bottom
Country: United States
Posts: 13,600
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Running Riot View Post
For me, it's Hall or bust.

As good as Seguin/Fowler/Gormley/etc are, Hall is a clear cut above them.

Using last year's draft as an example, it's like comparing Duchene or Kane to Tavares.
I agree with this, there's something about Hall's skillset that screams out elite talent, his speed, shot and desire to get to scoring spots on the ice. I'm not too concerned with him getting knocked off the puck in the WJC, he's only 18 and will physically and mentally mature as he gets older and gains NHL experience, i really believe that the sky is the limit for this kid.
I don't know much about Seguin and Fowler really impressed me in the WJC, he was the main reason that Hall was held in check in the 2 Canada-U.S. matches but Hall just seems to have too much upside to pass up imo.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 02:55 PM
  #19
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozers View Post
Its like saying If Hall was so good why was he cut from world junior's last year? Hall is in his 3rd junior year Seguin is only in his 2nd. Too many In my mind just look at who made Team Canada to see If they are good or not which is BS
Exactly some people need to be reminded that Ryan O'Marra made the WJC team as did Devereaux, Cleary and Daniel Tkaczuk. Being on the WJC team means jack.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 02:56 PM
  #20
Harley
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 1,316
vCash: 500
I don't know yet. But put it this way. If either Hall or Seguin are solid second line players in this league they are going to help. A lot. I think a team deep in second line talent can be a winner in this league.

Most teams have trouble going two lines deep in talent with the cap. If you can put together a team three lines deep with solid second liners I think they can be very dangerous. You need goaltending but everybody needs goaltending.

Hemsky, Seguin (for arguments sake), Ganger, Penner, Nilsson, O'Sulivan, Eberle, Paajarvi, Brule, Horcoff. I may be stretching it a bit with a few of those guys but others may be better than second line talent. I know I'm a bit optimistic but that looks like a pretty good group of forwards to build a hockey team around. I think that group of forwards is something to get pretty pumped about.

Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 02:57 PM
  #21
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face
 
Reimer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,322
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I agree with this, there's something about Hall's skillset that screams out elite talent, his speed, shot and desire to get to scoring spots on the ice. I'm not too concerned with him getting knocked off the puck in the WJC, he's only 18 and will physically and mentally mature as he gets older and gains NHL experience, i really believe that the sky is the limit for this kid.
I don't know much about Seguin and Fowler really impressed me in the WJC, he was the main reason that Hall was held in check in the 2 Canada-U.S. matches but Hall just seems to have too much upside to pass up imo.
I would have to agree with this assessment. You still have to consider that although Hall was "held in check" the kid still put up a goal and two assists.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 02:58 PM
  #22
awesomo
HARD!
 
awesomo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: location, location
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,597
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
If Seguin is so good, why did he get cut from juniors this year?
meh you cant really judge on who made the team... there were several strange decisions on that team

Cormier as captain and Kadri (who i dont think shouldve made the team) stick out to me

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 03:03 PM
  #23
Uncle Grouchy Smurf
GFY
 
Uncle Grouchy Smurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 872
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
meh you cant really judge on who made the team... there were several strange decisions on that team

Cormier as captain and Kadri (who i dont think shouldve made the team) stick out to me
wow yeah, kadri was terrible.

Uncle Grouchy Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 03:35 PM
  #24
AK Dandyman
Registered User
 
AK Dandyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,032
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I agree with this, there's something about Hall's skillset that screams out elite talent, his speed, shot and desire to get to scoring spots on the ice. I'm not too concerned with him getting knocked off the puck in the WJC, he's only 18 and will physically and mentally mature as he gets older and gains NHL experience, i really believe that the sky is the limit for this kid.
I don't know much about Seguin and Fowler really impressed me in the WJC, he was the main reason that Hall was held in check in the 2 Canada-U.S. matches but Hall just seems to have too much upside to pass up imo.
Hall this year compare to Eberle last yr in terms of maturity as an 18 yrs old, the difference seems to be Eberle doesn't get man handle or hit as much but the puck follows him, and Hall seems to have his head down a lot and getting drill by opponent more often, where Hall seems to be good on the rush but have problem getting open in the offensive zone.

My concern is if Hall has enough top hockey sense to go with his speed & skills to make him a superstar player? Anyone saw that or saw them differently?

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 03:43 PM
  #25
Lion
Registered User
 
Lion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 50
Seguin is our guy. We need a franchise center not winger. Having Seguin, Gagner, and Brule down the middle will be very good.

Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.