HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

How good are Taylor Hall, Seguin & Fowler

Old
01-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Andrew B

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagster View Post
Seguin is our guy. We need a franchise center not winger. Having Seguin, Gagner, and Brule down the middle will be very good.
Hall is a center too.

I was a Seguin supporter however, I think we got the JT effect happening on Hall. That effect being that he has been over analyzed, and that everyone is saying look thats new and shiny.

I think Hall is the more complete player, with a superior scoring touch, superior speed, and has more poise.

Andrew B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 03:51 PM
Eytinge

Quote:
Seguin is our guy. We need a franchise center not winger. Having Seguin, Gagner, and Brule down the middle will be very good.
hall said he prefers center.

I'm leaning more towards Seguin right now, but either of them would be great to have.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

For me, what sets Seguin apart from Hall is the leadership qualities. There's a reason he draws loose comparisons to Yzerman. I myself, see him like Johnathan Toews. He's going to be bring that kind of compete on the ice and make that drive to be better infectious to everyone else. You want a player like that to build your franchise around.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 04:45 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
For me, what sets Seguin apart from Hall is the leadership qualities. There's a reason he draws loose comparisons to Yzerman. I myself, see him like Johnathan Toews. He's going to be bring that kind of compete on the ice and make that drive to be better infectious to everyone else. You want a player like that to build your franchise around.
God, I hate to keep doing this bud, but you bring it upon yourself by constantly bring up good points.

Hall has superstar HOF potential, you also want that to build your franchise around. With his explosive nothing-to-full-speed-in-2-stride skating, desire to regain control of the puck, solid frame and laser shot, he will rack up a lot of goals. We need a guy who thinks shoot first, creates his own chances and plays on the top line. Eberle may turn into that guy but most here would agree he's more likely a great 2nd line scorer. I just don't see how we can pass up on perhaps the best offensive player since Crosby.

Come on Tambo, get TO's 1st from Boston soon so Soli and I can stop this never-ending back and forth

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 05:18 PM
One Trick Pony*

My best comparisons for each player.

Taylor Hall- Marian Gaborik

Tyler Seguin- Jonathan Toews

Cam Fowler- Duncan Keith

One Trick Pony* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 05:33 PM
Giggli G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B View Post
Hall is a center too.

I was a Seguin supporter however, I think we got the JT effect happening on Hall. That effect being that he has been over analyzed, and that everyone is saying look thats new and shiny.

I think Hall is the more complete player, with a superior scoring touch, superior speed, and has more poise.
I think Hedman was the best pick and still is.

The knock on Tavares has always been his skating, which is merely average. I think that led to a lot of the doubts with regards to JT, the lack of the 100% complete skill set.

On the contrary, I think Hall's skill set is absolutely complete. You've got the good size, amazing speed, great handling, great shot, great offensive instincts. Only question for him is putting it all together in the NHL.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Andrew B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
How can you say that Hall doesn't have leadership abilities?

Did you see last years Mem Cup?

Personally I would take the Memorial Cup MVP over a lesser known product.

Andrew B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 05:42 PM
davegagnerskid

Quote:
Hall claims to be a natural center. Probably very similar to Brule who is very adept at both positions.

davegagnerskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Live Breathe Hockey

Live Breathe Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:04 PM
HuMz

vCash: 50
Tomorrow top prospects game 5:00pm on Sportsnet, should give us a little glimpse and sway our opinions on both.

I personally would go with Seguin because he seems to be a better playmaker, but he also can score goals and IMO has a better shot then Hall which alot of people here seem to feel the opposite.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:19 PM
TowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Hall scored and had 2a in the gold medal game, what more did you want? He was a draft eligible guy going up against guys drafted 2 years before him. He did way more then Stamkos did at the WJC.

Seguin is the safe pick because Hall scored 12p at the WJC while Seguin was cut? I see Hall as very low risk. Plus we already have two playmaking wingers in the system in Hemsky and MPS, shouldn't we get a scoring C?

My only concern with Fowler is his shot isn't the best. That being said, his skating, passing and vision are near Doughty level.
Agreed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle evan View Post
I think Seguin is the guy, I believe he is the more pure goal scorer type.
So from this same thread, Seguin is a playmaking pure goal scorer then?

This is not directed at you Uncle, but I know that opinions are like bungholes as everyones got one. But I wish in threads like this people who are actually in the know would post rather than a bunch of opinions and hearsay?

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:43 PM
deanmoriarty

Call me a bigot or whatever you want, but if we get the 1st or 2nd pick I don't want the yank. A superstar Canadian forward would be incredible for the Oilers, just look at what Iginla has done for Calgary.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Teddy Peckman

Send a message via MSN to Teddy Peckman
When do the do the draft lottery anyways?

Teddy Peckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:45 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by erixon View Post
When do the do the draft lottery anyways?
April 12 or 13. I believe it was mentioned in the Dreger article.

01-19-2010, 06:47 PM
GorillazXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
Call me a bigot or whatever you want, but if we get the 1st or 2nd pick I don't want the yank. A superstar Canadian forward would be incredible for the Oilers, just look at what Iginla has done for Calgary.
But look at how good Phil "the thrill" Kessel has been for the Leafs?

GXL

GorillazXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Senor Catface

Whoever we draft will be a star, while the other two will be busts and will play in Germany in 4 years.

Senor Catface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 07:35 PM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
What does nationality have to do with anything? Iginla would have done the same thing in Calgary if he was from Pakistan.

To extend on the above idea; I hope we get knocked down to third, so we don't have to deal with the stress of choosing, but we still get the best player. Cameron Fowler. Heck yes.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Beerfish

Oilers are going to win about 3 meaningless games the last week of the year vaulting them from 2nd worst overall to 3rd worst. Then some team behind them is going to win the lottery.

Who is the 4th rated player?

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 07:43 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by myteammytown View Post
do we really need to start listing the players who didnt make their world junior team but went on to be stars in the nhl?
No. I'm wondering how a guy who could be picked 1st overall in the NHL draft didn't make the cut for the junior team. I think thats a legit ? no?

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 07:45 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozers View Post
Its like saying If Hall was so good why was he cut from world junior's last year? Hall is in his 3rd junior year Seguin is only in his 2nd. Too many In my mind just look at who made Team Canada to see If they are good or not which is BS
Same as above.

Old
01-19-2010, 07:47 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live Breathe Hockey View Post

I can see you a huge Hall fan!

Old
01-19-2010, 08:04 PM
davegagnerskid

The only thing Bucky and Hall share are lips.

davegagnerskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 08:15 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Oilers are going to win about 3 meaningless games the last week of the year vaulting them from 2nd worst overall to 3rd worst. Then some team behind them is going to win the lottery.

Who is the 4th rated player?
I think at the moment it is Vladimir Tarasenko and IMO he may have been the most impressive draft eligable player at the WJHC. He was so non exiting but such a complete player. personally I want Hall, he is just so offensivly dynamic, 2nd I want Seugin, one of the two as it would be nice to have a Canadian star. however I would be more then happy with him at 4th. He reminds me of one of the Sedins, nothing flashy but all around good.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:00 PM
NMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaFats View Post
Fair enough. Id be happy to get either. If the Oilers pick first though, right now Im inclined to go with Seguin because, as I said, I see him as being the safer pick - Im risk averse, thats just me. The last thing this team needs is to finally get a #1 overall pick and end up getting the next Daigle. There has been an unbelievable string of very good #1 overall picks - Id hate for that string to break with the Oilers.
Exactly why you pick Hall. Seguin will be very good, but Hall could be great. Do we want to look back at this draft in 5 or 6 years and say we got the 2nd best player in the '10 draft? Not if we picked 1st overall!

NMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:01 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuMz View Post
Tomorrow top prospects game 5:00pm on Sportsnet, should give us a little glimpse and sway our opinions on both.

I personally would go with Seguin because he seems to be a better playmaker, but he also can score goals and IMO has a better shot then Hall which alot of people here seem to feel the opposite.
I think that amazing goal where Hall roofed it into the cookie shelf in the WJHC really showcased Halls shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
No. I'm wondering how a guy who could be picked 1st overall in the NHL draft didn't make the cut for the junior team. I think thats a legit ? no?
Duchene would be picked 1st overall this yearif it was his draft year and he missed the cut last year. Seguin is in a similar boat this year as Duchene was last year, and he was still in the running to go 1st right up until the draft.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote