HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dreger: "Expect Big Changes".

Old
01-19-2010, 06:12 PM
Roamin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Again, I ask, where will you find the cap room?
in the couch cushions.

Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:13 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 50
Quote:
Again, where do you intend to find the cap room from?
Well, Dreger hinted at burying contracts in the minors and/or buyouts...I'm assuming that's where people are getting the room under the cap.

OilDrop37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin View Post
in the couch cushions.

Thanks for proving you had no clue what your'e talking about.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:18 PM
MrOiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by semenko27 View Post
We all want something to happen, with each passing loss, I'm sure we're all rubbing our hands together and saying "this could be it!". But alas, it is not, at least yet.
Until "it" happens, I think we are all sick of hearing about how "it" is coming.

Throw us a bone fer christ sake
The bone has been thrown as Robin Brownlee pointed out last week on OilersNation.com. The fact that we have two kids in goal and no trades for any position reveals the plan. We're tanking this season for the lottery draft.

Expect the veteran/contract dump to hit near the trade deadline or July 1st. There's nothing happening until the playoff bound GMs feel enough heat to make a move. As soon as one does, the rest will follow.

MrOiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilDrop37 View Post
Well, Dreger hinted at burying contracts in the minors and/or buyouts...I'm assuming that's where people are getting the room under the cap.
You're going to need to move a lot of contracts to make room for the unsigned players AND tack on 5 million more $$$'s.

Old
01-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
So about Dreger's point, here's a scary thought, if you do waive some Vets and bury contracts, who replaces them? Because I don't see the guys on the farm being an improvement?

Don't get me wrong, I want change, ALOT of change, but the team won't gain anything by doing that, except for future cap space, which they could get, just as easily, in the offseason.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:23 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
You're going to need to move a lot of contracts to make room for the unsigned players AND tack on 5 million more $$$'s.
Your preaching to the choir here, I get what you and others are saying but the other side of the arguement is pinning their hopes on the Dreger article of a guy like Horcoff getting buried in the minors, freeing up 5.5M in cap space, Souray moving for a pick to free up another 5.4M in cap space, Moreau and Staios waived/traded for nothing (which is what they're worth).

It all adds up pretty fast IF you buy into what Dreger has been saying...if not, yeah, your right, nothing is going to change in the foreseeable future.

Old
01-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOiler View Post
The bone has been thrown as Robin Brownlee pointed out last week on OilersNation.com. The fact that we have two kids in goal and no trades for any position reveals the plan. We're tanking this season for the lottery draft.

Expect the veteran/contract dump to hit near the trade deadline or July 1st. There's nothing happening until the playoff bound GMs feel enough heat to make a move. As soon as one does, the rest will follow.

Exactly. And that may take till after the Olympics before some teams decide if they still actually ARE playoff bound teams, or in the race. People need to show some patience before then, because quite frankly, nothing much of consequence is going to happen any time soon.

Old
01-19-2010, 06:26 PM
OilDrop37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
So about Dreger's point, here's a scary thought, if you do waive some Vets and bury contracts, who replaces them? Because I don't see the guys on the farm being an improvement?

Don't get me wrong, I want change, ALOT of change, but the team won't gain anything by doing that, except for future cap space, which they could get, just as easily, in the offseason.

Well, Horcoff buried in the minors would easily be replaced by a Blair Betts type of player at about 1/5th the cost. Moreau is easily replaced by anybody. Souray's another story, not sure you'd replace him.

Old
01-19-2010, 06:26 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
The Oilers won't sign Jagr to a 5M+ deal, if he signs it'll be for less and for 1 or 2 years. If not then management needs to be canned.

He's making 6 mill right now. You guys are saying he's still an elite PPG player. How much of a pay cut would you suggest he'll take?

Old
01-19-2010, 06:28 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Your preaching to the choir here, I get what you and others are saying but the other side of the arguement is pinning their hopes on the Dreger article of a guy like Horcoff getting buried in the minors, freeing up 5.5M in cap space, Souray moving for a pick to free up another 5.4M in cap space, Moreau and Staios waived/traded for nothing (which is what they're worth).

It all adds up pretty fast IF you buy into what Dreger has been saying...if not, yeah, your right, nothing is going to change in the foreseeable future.

Tell you what. If Tambo can dump Staois, Moreau, and trade Souray all for picks/prospects with zero salary coming back, I may forgive him for the Khabby signing.

Or not.

Old
01-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Roamin

Quote:
Thanks for proving you had no clue what your'e talking about.
it didn't matter what I would say or numbers I would post, as this is all speculation, proposals by fans and rumors.

you would just say the same thing to me.
trade souray for a 8th round pick. trade lubo for a rueben with extra tasty rye bread.
tons of cap room now.

oh yeah, so much you can walk into it and actually stretch your legs.

I don't remember saying "this makes sense for the oilers, they will get this done, and I will explained in detail with salary and numbers and processes on how they will get this done"

I just said, it doesn't make sense for them to sign jagr, but I'd love to see it.

Roamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Well, Horcoff buried in the minors would easily be replaced by a Blair Betts type of player at about 1/5th the cost. Moreau is easily replaced by anybody. Souray's another story, not sure you'd replace him.
Yeah, but you can do that if the offseason, Moreau same thing. It's tough to bring guys in now, UFA I mean, and you would be stupid to waive guys, them make a trade to fill their spots. That's really bad asset management imo.

Regardless of the lack lust season that Souray is having, you can trade him, there are teams in the hunt that have brutal or young defenses, could really use a guy like Souray. Ottawa, if they had cap space, would love him for all that he brings, including on the PP.

Old
01-19-2010, 06:30 PM
Xelebes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
Hello missing the playoffs for another 7 years.

Amazing how many people think "youth" is the answer to our woes
This is HockeyFuture Boards, is it not?

Xelebes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:32 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
This is HockeyFuture Boards, is it not?
Yes, but that doesn't mean you should abandon common sense.

Old
01-19-2010, 06:42 PM
GSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post

Replace with vets who bring bang for the buck, via trade, free agent signing, or both.

And there are plenty value players out there for the taking, this coming offseason will be no exception.

GSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:43 PM
HuMz

Quote:
Obviously you haven't looked it up, or are not paying attention.

The cap for this year is 56.8 mill. There is talk it could go down next year, but for purposes of discussion, let's assume it stays the same.
The Oilers have 46.8 committed in salary to 14 players right now. If we go by your assumption of giving 5 million to Jagr, that leaves 5 million left, to be distributed amoung 9 more players. Brule, Gagner and Cogliano will all be getting raises after their entry level contracts have run.

Again, I ask, where will you find the cap room?
Moreau, Staois, Pisani, Comrie, & Strudwick. Not too mention theres a good chance any combination of Grebs, Gilbert, Nilsson, O' Sully, or Souray could be dealt most likely at the deadline.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:49 PM
HuMz

Quote:
Tell you what. If Tambo can dump Staois, Moreau, and trade Souray all for picks/prospects with zero salary coming back, I may forgive him for the Khabby signing.

Or not.
Look at the deadline deals over the past decade, theres alot of dead weight guys who can still play and have playoffs experience that get moved around for high draft picks or medicore prospects.

And if not then its not like Staois and Moreau can't be bought out. We've managed to ship out Smith, Cole, Bergeron, Lupul + others who were pretty much considered to have negative trade value around here. Doesn't seem like too much of a stretch by any means to think the above players won't be here next year.

Old
01-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuMz View Post
Moreau, Staois, Pisani, Comrie, & Strudwick. Not too mention theres a good chance any combination of Grebs, Gilbert, Nilsson, O' Sully, or Souray could be dealt most likely at the deadline.

Pisani, Comrie, Strudwick, and Grebeshkov are not on the books for next year, therefore do not figure into the payroll figure I gave.

Old
01-19-2010, 07:01 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Here's a possible twist to many postsl regarding the dive, Tamellini, Khabi etc...you'll all call me nuts, but whatever:

- Tambo knew about Khabi's back issue - sign him for X years knowing 1 year will be a write off, this year to be exact, leaving unproven backups to hold the fort - dive for 5 transparency

- The quality of the top 5 picks this year, hence above point

- no significant changes to the Oilers lineup, except for a coaching staff that works well with youth - lets see what we've got

- Some good UFA's this year with leadership quality - possible UFA signing in a leadership/mentoring context

- Out with the old guard (Moreau, Staios, Souray, others?)

- Looking ahead 3 years down the road when Khabi's contract is done and the youth of the team including goaltending gel into a contending unit?

Yaah, I know, it's a bit far fetched, but if you look at the sum of the parts, the answer could be here in 2 - 3 years of the rebuild

Just trying to be positive here

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 07:08 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
I have one problem with buying out contracts and ditching contracts on the farm--that sends a bad message to any future UFA the oilers may make a pitch for

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 07:10 PM
bombers15

Hopefully. Screw the rest of the season and rebuild next year.

If they have Paajarvi-Svensson, Eberle, Omark, Hemsky, Gagner and Hall () playing together...we can't be too bad.

bombers15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 07:11 PM
HuMz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Here's a possible twist to many postsl regarding the dive, Tamellini, Khabi etc...you'll all call me nuts, but whatever:

- Tambo knew about Khabi's back issue - sign him for X years knowing 1 year will be a write off, this year to be exact, leaving unproven backups to hold the fort - dive for 5 transparency

- The quality of the top 5 picks this year, hence above point

- no significant changes to the Oilers lineup, except for a coaching staff that works well with youth - lets see what we've got

- Some good UFA's this year with leadership quality - possible UFA signing in a leadership/mentoring context

- Out with the old guard (Moreau, Staios, Souray, others?)

- Looking ahead 3 years down the road when Khabi's contract is done and the youth of the team including goaltending gel into a contending unit?

Yaah, I know, it's a bit far fetched, but if you look at the sum of the parts, the answer could be here in 2 - 3 years of the rebuild

Just trying to be positive here
I don't see why it couldn't be possible either, theres been a number of teams the past couple seasons who've tanked for a year only to come back much stronger the next.

Alot of the pieces are already here they just need to shuffle a bit and get rid of the deadweight.

Old
01-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Senor Catface

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I have one problem with buying out contracts and ditching contracts on the farm--that sends a bad message to any future UFA the oilers may make a pitch for
Ha. Yeah, that'll be the deal breaker to stopping those UFA's from signing here.

Senor Catface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 07:12 PM
semenko27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Or it tells them that if their play isnt up to snuff, it wont be accepted.

semenko27 is offline   Reply With Quote