HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Wild Place Sykora on Waivers

Old
01-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

vCash: 500
Wild Place Sykora on Waivers

Yahoo Sports: Wild Place Sykora on Waivers

I know there was some talk of signing him in the off season, what's everyone's opinion on putting in a claim? While he has played recently, he missed 2 months of the season due to a concussion.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 05:16 PM
AnalogMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post

I know there was some talk of signing him in the off season, what's everyone's opinion on putting in a claim? While he has played recently, he missed 2 months of the season due to a concussion.
As of today he is owed $688,083 for the rest of this year on his 1-year deal. With Winnik leaving with his arm in a sling after the game last night, and if Sykora could pass a physical, why not? Scored 20+ goals each of last 3 years while staying healthy, is only 33, and can play either wing.

Plus he's Czech.

AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 05:29 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!

Well, it is intriguing assuming someone else doesn't pick him up first if I recall the waiver rules.

I don't know much about him other than his stat lines. Is he defensively responsible? Would he fit in the system.

Preliminary I say go for it. What the hell, at worst you waive him again later.

And yes another Czech. That would make nearly half our 12 forwards wouldn't it?

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 05:33 PM
pyregretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinurgy View Post

If DMGM can get him at half price I say pull the trigger. He is a Czech so it makes sense, he historically has had goal scoring ability and it could be a low risk/high reward scenario.

pyregretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 05:46 PM
PHX FireBirds18

I was a big Sykora fan, but he was declined rapidly the last few years. He isn't the goal scorer we need, especially if he is going to take ice time from someone like Mueller.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Who else ****ing up right now could be on waivers?
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 07:20 PM
pyregretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaPride View Post
Who else ****ing up right now could be on waivers?
Posted via Mobile Device
The Hurricanes, Oilers and Leafs

Old
01-19-2010, 07:25 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyregretzky View Post
The Hurricanes, Oilers and Leafs

I'd gladly take Eric Staal for 1/2 of his cap hit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 08:37 PM

I wouldn't be upset if Maloney claimed Sykora on waivers, especially not on recall waivers.

Outside of injuries, if this team is 100% healthy who gets tossed out to make room for Sykora? I think Biz serves a function and can play a regular shift. We don't have all kinds of kids up here in the lineup to send down on the farm either. I guess if Sykora re-discovers his scoring touch with the Coyotes then it would be a good problem to have and probably easy solution. If he doesn't, maybe they just put him back on waivers.

I know it's a National thing, but I would be curious to see the different combos of Sykora, Lang, Hanzal, Vrbata, and Prucha. Imagine them out there on a crazy (and foolish) all Czech powerplay.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 08:56 PM
pyregretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
I wouldn't be upset if Maloney claimed Sykora on waivers, especially not on recall waivers.

Outside of injuries, if this team is 100% healthy who gets tossed out to make room for Sykora? I think Biz serves a function and can play a regular shift. We don't have all kinds of kids up here in the lineup to send down on the farm either. I guess if Sykora re-discovers his scoring touch with the Coyotes then it would be a good problem to have and probably easy solution. If he doesn't, maybe they just put him back on waivers.

I know it's a National thing, but I would be curious to see the different combos of Sykora, Lang, Hanzal, Vrbata, and Prucha. Imagine them out there on a crazy (and foolish) all Czech powerplay.
Cycle out one of Korp/Biss/Pyatt/Mueller depending on the game if Sykora can rediscover his scoring touch(not that much of a stretch to say he could since he is 33 and players have a tendency of success after leaving Minnesota). Plus depending on Winnik/Upshall being injured we might have an open spot anyway

Old
01-19-2010, 09:06 PM
SR

I don't want to be the first to say it, but I have a strong feeling Maloney is going to pick him up if given the chance.

SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:29 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

but Sykora doesn't really fit the same role as Winnik. It would be like fitting a square peg in a triangular shaped hole.

TeamTippett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Who said we need Sykora to fill Winnik's role? I like Sykora and I think this is a no brainer pick up...do IT!

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 10:01 PM
pyregretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTurris View Post
but Sykora doesn't really fit the same role as Winnik. It would be like fitting a square peg in a triangular shaped hole.
He wouldn't have to. Winnik out shift Korpikoski back in then put Sykora out with Robert Lang. After that pick up another Czech then we can have 2 Czech lines!

Old
01-19-2010, 10:11 PM
Coyotes Crusader

I'd be in favor of getting Skyora into our lineup.

It is significant to note his success in 2008/09 with Pittsburgh, contributing to the Pens winning the Cup (25G, 21A in 76 games).

This guy knows how to win. That is inherently good to inject into our organization.

Coyotes Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 10:33 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotes Crusader View Post

It is significant to note his success in 2008/09 with Pittsburgh, contributing to the Pens winning the Cup (25G, 21A in 76 games).

This guy knows how to win. That is inherently good to inject into our organization.
How hard is it to know how to win? I'm fairly sure every player on this team has been on a successful team somewhere down the line.

Lang knows how to win, Accoin knows how to win, Bryz knows how to win. Sorry I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I'm just scratching my head. So your going to risk potentially breaking up some chemistry on a team that has been a "pack" for the past 4 months and bring in another aging vet, "because he knows how to win..."

As for loosing Winnik, I would argue Korp and Winnik are slightly different types of players and not interchangeable. Case in point when Upshal was hurt, Korp sat in on top line duties and I thought did a serviceable job. Winnik could never pull that. I will give you both are tenacious on the forcheck.

Old
01-19-2010, 10:38 PM
AnalogMan

Quote:
Biz or Korp replace Winnik on line with Fiddler. I'm thinking something like:

Upshall - Lombardi - Doan/Korpi
Sykora/Pyatt - Lang - Mueller/Sykora
Prucha - Hanzal - Vrbata
Pyatt/Biz - Fiddler - Doan/Korpi

When Winnik returns scratch Biz and one of Korpi, Pyatt, Mueller depending on health and matchup.

And if Sykora doesn't work out, we're on the hook for no >$700,000. Cheap gamble, I think, IF he can pass a physical.

Old
01-19-2010, 10:42 PM
AnalogMan

Quote:
How hard is it to know how to win? I'm fairly sure every player on this team has been on a successful team somewhere down the line.

Lang knows how to win, Accoin knows how to win, Bryz knows how to win. Sorry I'm not trying to give you a hard time, I'm just scratching my head. So your going to risk potentially breaking up some chemistry on a team that has been a "pack" for the past 4 months and bring in another aging vet, "because he knows how to win..."

As for loosing Winnik, I would argue Korp and Winnik are slightly different types of players and not interchangeable. Case in point when Upshal was hurt, Korp sat in on top line duties and I thought did a serviceable job. Winnik could never pull that. I will give you both are tenacious on the forcheck.
I don't see chemistry getting disrupted at all. Sykora makes the most sense on the Lang line.

Lombo and Hanzal lines are getting scoring with Upshall, Doan, Vrby and Prucha, and Sykora certainly doesn't belong on a shutdown line. Put him with Lang (lowest scoring line) and see how that line does with Mueller or Pyatt on the other wing.

Old
01-19-2010, 11:20 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!

Quote:

If their chemistry is so weak to be broken by the addition of one bottom 6 fringe top 6 guy then it will be broken eventually anyway. Like I said, if he doesn't work out waive him after a month. I don't think any damage could possibly be done.

Near as I can tell there isn't an exact copy of winnik lying around to be had anyway, so saying Sykora or Korp or whomever doesn't exactly fit the role is kind of a moot point. Korpikoski is pretty close though and he is used to playing a bottom 6 role. The most important lines are not going to be impacted by the addition of one forward. Nor will it impact the defensive corps.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 11:57 PM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

All I am saying is Winnik provides an invaluable roll on this team, if he is gone for some time then he will need to be replaced, Korpo steps into that roll great. This team is currently (last game not withstanding) succeeding by keeping guys playing rolls they are fit to play that they should play, rather than wedging people into rolls they are inadequate to fill at this stage of their development, like the last admin did. I just don't see Sykora plugging in anywhere at the moment. I think casting a player aside like some of you are suggesting for a guy that just walked into the dressing room that hasn't proved anything, will do more harm to that dressing rooms psyche than I think you can fore see. look maybe I'm wrong just my gut,

Old
01-20-2010, 07:49 AM
krepitch
Coyote Fan

I don't think this would happen here. Sykora has a bad reputation, from what I've read, and I don't think it would be a good fit.

But if GMDM thinks it's good, I trust him.

krepitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:29 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

well...Sykora cleared wavers so not only did we not take a waver on him, nor did the other 28 teams. little shocked someone didn't nab him. If he goes 50/50 certainly someone will.

Old
01-20-2010, 01:26 PM
AnalogMan

Quote:
well...Sykora cleared wavers so not only did we not take a waver on him, nor did the other 28 teams. little shocked someone didn't nab him. If he goes 50/50 certainly someone will.
I heard a report he did have an out-clause in his Minny contract that if waived he could go overseas. So waivers may have been a formality if his agent informed teams he was taking that option. We'll see.

Old
01-20-2010, 01:38 PM
yakko

More from Bob McKenzie on Twitter:

Quote:
While Sykora cleared, at least one team, maybe two, talking to Wild about trade for Sykora. Sykora wants to stay in NHL, not go to Europe.
Quote:
For all asking why trade for Sykora when he was free on waivers, very simple -- acquiring team wants to unload a body/contract.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:47 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotes Crusader View Post

Sykora also had Crosby/Malkin feeding him pucks. He was a healthy scratch for most of the 2009 playoffs. I'm not sure if 'knows how to win' is the same as 'happened to be on some stacked clubs/lines during his career.'

The Devils traded him in 2002 after Sykora decided he couldn't play through what was prognosed as a minor ankle injury during the playoffs. After making back-to-back Finals, the Devils went out in the first round when nobody could score. Allegedly, the players spotted Sykora walking without a limp in the hotel.

Sykora still has a great shot but his skating/motivation isn't what it once was. He's only under contract for this year, so at least he wouldn't be an albatross if he didn't pan out.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote