HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick Questions

Old
01-19-2010, 10:19 PM
jsykes

vCash: 500
Stick Questions

Ok, getting back into hockey after years and I like the new composite sticks, but still trying to figure out all the ins and outs of them. I've narrowed things down but have a couple questions that I'd like to here in player terms and on ice realistic differences.

First off, what is the difference between the Vapor and Supreme series of sticks?

Additionally, I dont think at my level I need a top of the line stick, so what is the difference in say the One95 stick and the One75? I know there are Bauer term differences, but again, what is the real life difference?

I dont mind paying the price if its a worthwhile thing, I can use all the help I can get at times, but dont want to waste money either.

TIA

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 10:44 PM
SouthpawTRK

Here's what I've gathered about composite sticks that may be helpful. Hopefully, I'm not too far off base with my answers, but if I am hopefully a senior member will chime in and correct me.

The Vapor and Supreme line are different in a lot of ways, but I would say that the biggest different is the kick point of each shaft. The older Vapor line had a low kick point, while the Supreme had a higher/more traditional kick point. The older Vapor line had a quick release; some may say that definitely suited for wristers and snappers. The Supreme line was designed more for big slappers and deadly one timers. However, the new Vapor line is supposed to have dual kick points; thusly making it a great stick for all types of shots; dependent upon where your hands are on the stick when making the desired shot. There are a lot of people that have a wicked wrister/snapper with a Supreme stick and there are going to be a lot that have a powerful slapper with an old style Vapor.

Never hurts to pick up a high end stick that may be a couple of years old. Basically, you'll be getting a new stick for a lower price; just not the most cutting edge stick that is currently available. It's up to you what you want to use, hopefully you find something that you like that is durable and affordable.

Once again, if I am off base on my interpretation of the Vapor and Supreme line, please feel to correct me. My intent is to be helpful, but if I am wrong, then I'd like to be made aware of my mistakes.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Hrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsykes View Post
Ok, getting back into hockey after years and I like the new composite sticks, but still trying to figure out all the ins and outs of them. I've narrowed things down but have a couple questions that I'd like to here in player terms and on ice realistic differences.

First off, what is the difference between the Vapor and Supreme series of sticks?

Additionally, I dont think at my level I need a top of the line stick, so what is the difference in say the One95 stick and the One75? I know there are Bauer term differences, but again, what is the real life difference?

I dont mind paying the price if its a worthwhile thing, I can use all the help I can get at times, but dont want to waste money either.

TIA
Okay, well the main difference between the Vapor and Supreme line is this:

Vapor is for forwards who want a quick release (The stick is light + Low kick point)
Supreme for defence who need a sturdy stick that has a good slapshot. (Mid kick point)

If your not playing serious hockey though then I'd just go to the store and see which one you like more, as a stick can't make THAT much difference.

Anyways, if you want a good quality stick for not-so-high a price then definately check out Last year's top sticks such as Easton S17 (Still pricy though), Vapor XXXX and most older Warrior Mac Daddys, Dolomites and Kroniks aren't too costly.

Also, I just changed from a Vapor XX to a Vapor X:60 (Brand New Top of the line stick) and it is an actual difference. So if you want to spend an additional $50 for the best stuff, then I'd say it's worth it. But I think your fine with a one or two year old top of the line stick.

Sorry about this message maybe being hard to read, writing with one hand, eating a taco with another so...you know how it is.

Hrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 10:47 PM
madmutter
Oilyness

Vapor sticks have a low kick point - quick release, good for wrist shots and snappers. Supreme sticks have a higher or "normal" kick point - better slappers, harder shots. The new Vapor X series of sticks are supposedly dual kick point and adjust to whatever shot you are using but I haven't tried one yet so I don't know if it's for real or just marketing.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2010, 11:14 PM
jsykes

Ok, I appreciate the responses. I have a couple of the Vapor XXXX sticks right now and they arent bad, I dont like the curve on them and not sure how much of what I dont like about my shots is the curve or the stick itself. I just seem to lack control with it.

I tried some Easton ST sticks too, those I got a little too stiff, but like a little more of the "wooden" feel of them, at least to me. They seem more traditional in feel and like I have a bit more control. But again, a different curve more to my liking.

All of those are barely used and for sale btw.

I've felt the Vapor and Supreme in the store, just flexing them on the ground and seem to think I'll like the feel of the Supreme, but its hard to say without actually using it, which is expensive. LOL

But that takes us to question two. What is the difference between say the Vapor X60 and X50, or say the Supreme One95 and One75?

I see the Bauer catch phrases for blade technology and such, but again, realistically, what would I feel when playing?

Again, I'm hardly a high end player and of the full understanding that equipment does not make me a better player...to an extent. I'm just usually of the notion to make sure you give yourself every chance possible by making sure the equipment isnt the deciding factor in things. When I get the one or two good chances in a game for a shot, I'd like to have all the technology and advances at my disposal if possible. LOL

Old
01-20-2010, 12:04 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

First off,check out this series of articles I wrote on sticks. It might answer some questions you have.

Here's my opinion when it comes to sticks. Unless you have a great shot, you're not going to take full advantage of the technology of a top end stick.

What I would do is find a stick that's lower in flex. It may feel whippy at first, but it will help you feel the kickpoint and allow you to use the whip of the shaft. If you watch any NHL'er talk about shooting, they all will say the same thing.

Once you get that timing and feel down and move back up in flex, it's amazing just how much better you shoot. If the mechanics are ingrained in your muscle memory, all you do is add a little strength and the shot will be much better.

My shot was garbage with the One95 personally, but it's excellent with a Vapor XXV. Same flex, curve, and length. I'm just more of a wrist shot than slap shot guy, so I like the low kickpoint.

I guess if I were you, I'd try the One95 shaft in a lower flex than you're using with a blade. You can try wood or composite, but at least with wood it's cheap and you can swap out the curves. The One95 shaft is pretty cheap too and comes in a lot of flexes.

If you like the feel of that, spring for the One95 one-piece, which is pretty similar but with better balance.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 02:33 PM
jsykes

Thanks Jarick, I appreciate the input. I have seen and read that article and much of it makes sense and something I basically already had a decent grasp of.

I've narrowed down the curve I like, unfortunately through sticks instead of a shaft as I didnt get great advice at my LHS when buying the first sticks after 15 years out of the game. We dont have very good ones around here and most of the guys just talk out their butts when trying to explain differences etc, which is why I came here.

I've also narrowed down where I'd like to be in flex, again through trial and error. Now I'm at the point where I'm left with sticks that I like the flex on, but not the curve and sticks I like the curve on but not the flex.

I dont have a great shot, its good, its above average for the league I play in, but nothing that would awe anyone. Its more of a thing with me that my shot goes to crap when using the wrong stick, more than it gets really good when using the right one. LOL

I guess I'm still looking and wondering what the differences are between a high end stick like the One95 and the One75 which is almost half the cost. I'm sure weight is one issue, but I cant find actual weights on any sites to compare. Bauer says they have different blade technology, but not sure again, where that really comes into play in anything short of an NHL level shot.

Old
01-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Everything I've read is the One95 is a far superior stick.

But if you tried the Vapor XXXX and didn't like it, I'd still say give the One95 shaft a shot. It's only $85 and if you pair it with a One95 blade, you're up to $135 or so. And you'd get most of the performance of a One95 stick with a much better blade than the One75.

Old
01-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Another thing to keep in mind, if you're really happy with the velocity of the shot but accuracy is way off no matter what, it'd be more a curve issue. But if your velocity is off on your wrist shot, slap shot, or both, it could be a flex or kickpoint issue.

Old
01-20-2010, 04:00 PM
jsykes

Good info. Thanks. I may try the blade/shaft combo and see where it goes.

I've already figured out the accuracy/blade issue and think I've found that answer, I like the P88 Bauer curve which is why I'm looking at Vapor/Supremes. Now just trying to figure out the right shaft.

Thanks.