HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Any chance the Oilers bury Horc in the minors?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2010, 07:25 PM
  #76
Silver
Registered User
 
Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Posts: 5,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rydlar View Post
OT: That's a great pic. Are there any new Spacemoose comics?
No, Spacemoose has been dead for a long time.

The author was having trouble going after academic grants due to the content, IIRC...

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 07:35 PM
  #77
MePutPuckInNet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,385
vCash: 500
I think if the Oilers wanted Horcoff gone, they'd find a way. But, that's the real issue, they don't want him gone. Coaches love Horcoff. He's a "hard working" guy. He's a "good two way player". He gets the most minutes of any forward on this team.

They're not going to buy him out or bury him in the minors. I don't think they'd trade the schmuck, even if they could....and that, more than anything, is what I really have a problem with. The coaching staff just continues to believe he's a solid player....and no matter what he does, they're going to continue to believe it. He's riding the coat tails of seasons past.....just like most of the other veterans on this team.

The "good ole boy" network is alive and doing fine in Edmonton.

MePutPuckInNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 07:40 PM
  #78
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
No, Spacemoose has been dead for a long time.

The author was having trouble going after academic grants due to the content, IIRC...
I'm happy to say I contributed to his "defense fund" that one year. Aka his beer fund. Got a book signed, though.

Bald Dwarf on PCP was a mean SOB.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 07:48 PM
  #79
Silver
Registered User
 
Silver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: California
Posts: 5,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
I'm happy to say I contributed to his "defense fund" that one year. Aka his beer fund. Got a book signed, though.

Bald Dwarf on PCP was a mean SOB.
Nice!

"Triumph of the Whim" by any chance? I'd love to get my hands on a copy of that.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 07:55 PM
  #80
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,226
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Maybe it can't be fixed?
Anything can be fixed. Have you not seen Robocop?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 08:00 PM
  #81
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Nice!

"Triumph of the Whim" by any chance? I'd love to get my hands on a copy of that.
Yessir!

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 08:25 PM
  #82
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
If that is the case then why in the world is he playing and not recuperating/rehabbing his shoulder?
Because he's a selfish ***** and wants to get his money. Convenient excuses all around. If he shuts it down for the year he doesn't collect that ginormous paycheck. If he continues to play, he can make his money, and fans will recognize he's playing whilst "injured", so it gives him a convenient excuse for having a poor season and makes him look like a good foot soldier in the eyes of management and the coaching staff for playing through it, and because hes the only "real option" as many people love to claim. The guy is so full of ****.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 08:45 PM
  #83
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,226
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Because he's a selfish ***** and wants to get his money. Convenient excuses all around. If he shuts it down for the year he doesn't collect that ginormous paycheck. If he continues to play, he can make his money, and fans will recognize he's playing whilst "injured", so it gives him a convenient excuse for having a poor season and makes him look like a good foot soldier in the eyes of management and the coaching staff for playing through it, and because hes the only "real option" as many people love to claim. The guy is so full of ****.
He gets paid regardless.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 08:53 PM
  #84
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Because he's a selfish ***** and wants to get his money. Convenient excuses all around. If he shuts it down for the year he doesn't collect that ginormous paycheck. If he continues to play, he can make his money, and fans will recognize he's playing whilst "injured", so it gives him a convenient excuse for having a poor season and makes him look like a good foot soldier in the eyes of management and the coaching staff for playing through it, and because hes the only "real option" as many people love to claim. The guy is so full of ****.
My god, what a clued out post.

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:06 PM
  #85
myteammytown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 508
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Because he's a selfish ***** and wants to get his money. Convenient excuses all around. If he shuts it down for the year he doesn't collect that ginormous paycheck. If he continues to play, he can make his money, and fans will recognize he's playing whilst "injured", so it gives him a convenient excuse for having a poor season and makes him look like a good foot soldier in the eyes of management and the coaching staff for playing through it, and because hes the only "real option" as many people love to claim. The guy is so full of ****.
it would be rude of me to come right out and call you an idiot, so i will avoid coming right out and saying it.....

myteammytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:22 PM
  #86
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He gets paid regardless.
Does he make the extent of his full salary if he's shut down and goes on LTIR?

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:24 PM
  #87
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Does he make the extent of his full salary if he's shut down and goes on LTIR?
Your just making yourself look even worse (if thats even possible).

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:26 PM
  #88
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,226
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Does he make the extent of his full salary if he's shut down and goes on LTIR?
Yes.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:29 PM
  #89
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Isn't that one of the reasons the Oilers are close to the cap. Some of the guys that were injured were the high-salaried players. The Oilers are allowed to go over the cap as a result of long-term injuries.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:02 PM
  #90
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 11,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Your just making yourself look even worse (if thats even possible).
Thanks man. Appreciate that.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:57 PM
  #91
Schitzo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,617
vCash: 500
I think it's interesting to see what kind of emotions the posters here project on Horcoff.

For example, he lands a big contract, therefore he must have a sense of entitlement. Despite the fact that there's zero proof that he's slacking off or expecting better treatment because of his contract, people say this.

What is that? Jealously? Or maybe subconciously these people know that if they ever got a great, guaranteed contract they would end up ****ing the pooch and not working?

Beats me, but interesting.

Schitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:03 AM
  #92
Sammy*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
I think it's interesting to see what kind of emotions the posters here project on Horcoff.

For example, he lands a big contract, therefore he must have a sense of entitlement. Despite the fact that there's zero proof that he's slacking off or expecting better treatment because of his contract, people say this.

What is that? Jealously? Or maybe subconciously these people know that if they ever got a great, guaranteed contract they would end up ****ing the pooch and not working?
Beats me, but interesting.
Come on now. Your talking crazy talk.
Prove that he doesnt have a sense of entitlment.

Sammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:05 AM
  #93
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,226
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
I think it's interesting to see what kind of emotions the posters here project on Horcoff.

For example, he lands a big contract, therefore he must have a sense of entitlement. Despite the fact that there's zero proof that he's slacking off or expecting better treatment because of his contract, people say this.

What is that? Jealously? Or maybe subconciously these people know that if they ever got a great, guaranteed contract they would end up ****ing the pooch and not working?

Beats me, but interesting.
Nobody is saying he is slacking off. As far as preferential treatment, that has been pretty obvious in the last couple of years. The rest of your post is just whaaaargarble.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:23 AM
  #94
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,197
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
I can't help but laugh at the notion of people saying Horcoff has been healthy this season.

It's pretty sad really.

I mean, it wasn't like he was knocked out of play after a pretty dirty hit by Andy Sutton, missed about 10 days or so, and came back not taking faceoffs.

I mean, what kind of injury could that possibly be?!

The witch hunt has gotten pathetic, but it's pretty funny watching people grinding their teeth and plain resorting to making **** up.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:25 AM
  #95
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,197
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Nobody is saying he is slacking off. As far as preferential treatment, that has been pretty obvious in the last couple of years. The rest of your post is just whaaaargarble.
Interesting that two coaches have given him "preferential treatment."

Perhaps he's just plain earned it?

Just a theory mind you.

I won't even try to figure out how playing more defensive zone draws and PK time than anyone else on the team is preferential treatment though.

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:27 AM
  #96
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,197
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by MePutPuckInNet View Post
I think if the Oilers wanted Horcoff gone, they'd find a way. But, that's the real issue, they don't want him gone. Coaches love Horcoff. He's a "hard working" guy. He's a "good two way player". He gets the most minutes of any forward on this team.

They're not going to buy him out or bury him in the minors. I don't think they'd trade the schmuck, even if they could....and that, more than anything, is what I really have a problem with. The coaching staff just continues to believe he's a solid player....and no matter what he does, they're going to continue to believe it. He's riding the coat tails of seasons past.....just like most of the other veterans on this team.

The "good ole boy" network is alive and doing fine in Edmonton.
Quinn is part of the good ole boy network?

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:28 AM
  #97
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,226
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
I can't help but laugh at the notion of people saying Horcoff has been healthy this season.

It's pretty sad really.

I mean, it wasn't like he was knocked out of play after a pretty dirty hit by Andy Sutton, missed about 10 days or so, and came back not taking faceoffs.

I mean, what kind of injury could that possibly be?!

The witch hunt has gotten pathetic, but it's pretty funny watching people grinding their teeth and plain resorting to making **** up.
What, you mean stuff like he has been injured all year? He has been taking face-offs for quite a while now. It was only a short stretch of games (ten or so) where he wasnt. He was terrible last year too, was he injured then? No, actually it was some number manipulation (relying heavily on his linemates) and the fact his contract hadn't kicked in yet. I cant believe you continue to defend this guy. Talk about a tall order. Can hardly wait to hear what the excuses will be next year.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:30 AM
  #98
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
What, you mean stuff like he has been injured all year? He has been taking face-offs for quite a while now. It was only a short stretch of games (ten or so) where he wasnt. He was terrible last year too, was he injured then? No, actually it was some number manipulation (relying heavily on his linemates) and the fact his contract hasnt kicked in yet. I cant believe you continue to defend this guy. Talk about a tall order. Can hardly wait to hear what the excuses will be next year.
Horcoff got a Cortizon shot about 10 days ago.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:31 AM
  #99
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,226
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDO View Post
Interesting that two coaches have given him "preferential treatment."

Perhaps he's just plain earned it?


Just a theory mind you.

I won't even try to figure out how playing more defensive zone draws and PK time than anyone else on the team is preferential treatment though.
How has he earned it? By being the shiniest turd in the pile? Or because he is the only center we have with any experience at all? But yeah, you go ahead and foist accolades on him, he has taken us so far.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:33 AM
  #100
PDO
Registered User
 
PDO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,197
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to PDO
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
What, you mean stuff like he has been injured all year?
Well, he had a cortisone shot ten days ago. That game against NYI was the first game of November.

So that gives you November, December and now January. That's 3/4 months... 75% of the season.

Seems pretty fair to me to say he's been injured most the season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He has been taking face-offs for quite a while now.
Not at the same rate he was early in the season... both him and Quinn stated in pressers he couldn't take that many, and he hasn't since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
He was terrible last year too,
No he wasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
it was some number manipulation (relying heavily on his linemates)
Proof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I cant believe you continue to defend this guy. Talk about a tall order. Can hardly wait to hear what the excuses will be next year.
I can't believe your inferiority complex in regards to the guy. Does it upset you that you think you have better hands but didn't make the show?

PDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.