HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings v. Sharks: Post Game when it rains, it pours THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
01-20-2010, 01:16 AM
JMFJ 3

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munnn View Post
So how long is Matt Greene out?

We have this AHL all-star, among the league leaders in scoring by a defenceman, also the youngest in the top 20, right-handed shot, can log minutes, play in every situation, the best dman on his team for two seasons etc.

Scuderi - Doughty
Johnson - Voynov
O'Donnell - Harrold

Or we could continue to roll out Jones-Harrold.

Just something to think about.
Yeah, where the hell has Slava Voinov been this whole time?

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:20 AM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
Yeah, where the hell has Slava Voinov been this whole time?
Paying his dues. I can guess that Terry Murray doesn't want to have three young defenseman in the lineup at the same time, and only dressed Martinez because he didn't have much choice.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:22 AM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
I was 11 years old the last time the Kings qualified for the playoffs.
Wow so you must be in like your 50's now I'm assuming? Man it has been a long time since we've been in the playoffs. Sheesh. For once just once please, us Kings fan just want one taste of a playoff game. Is that too much to ask. My goodness.

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:23 AM
backhander

this game suuuuuuucccccckked

backhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:26 AM
ru4reals

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscup View Post
I don't care who you give me from within the Kings organization, just as long as Jones finds himself on waivers again.
Beat me to it. Anyone, anyone but this idiot! How many times did he give the puck away again in this game. My goodness Jones, please just go away.

ru4reals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:30 AM
bland

On the bright side Murray did bench Jones for the rest of the period after that

Old
01-20-2010, 01:41 AM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Just finished watching the first period (replay). Kings looked great for the first 4 1/2 minutes then Brown takes that penalty which killed them. Johnson looked good, why is he always getting singled out? Jones can't even skate...

xavi4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:42 AM
SC2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Meh... everyone else lost so instead of gaining ground on everyone we get one giant do-over. Very frustrating since we had a golden opportunity to move up and potentially stay in 6th-7th place in the standings instead of praying we cling to 8th.

Buffalo will be interesting. Take the over!
I wouldn't necessarily call playing the Sharks--at the top of their game--a golden opportunity.

SC2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 02:02 AM
Belanger25
The Iceman!

I don't know if the Kings did anything right tonight. Quick could have a couple more saves but I guess that wasn't our biggest problem tonight. Brown, I thought, played his best game that he has played all year. He didn't get a point but he seemed a lot more effective. He did make two stupid plays but oh well.

Randy Jones is a fricken disaster. I don't think we've gained a new "Modry" ever this fast. He's really awful at defense.

Harrold made one huge dumb ass play, but overall I think he's very effective on the point. He made a great play in the 1st period where he rushed the puck down low and the Kings got a good scoring attempt out of it.

The two biggest things driving me insane are the power play, and the Kings play in the offensive zone. The power play is useless, I don't care how well it is ranked or how many they've had lately, but it's awful. I'm tired of watching it. I know what's going to happen and how they aren't going to score. They don't skate, they just pass the puck. The other team doesn't even have to kill the penalty, they just have to stand there in the lane.

I'm also tired of watching every play with three players skating right towards the boards. It's pathetic, no one even tries to get to the front, or even skate in the center of the ice. It's driving me insane. Every chance seems like it's from the boards. The goalie from the other team doesn't even have to do anything. Just play the angle.

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 02:12 AM
KingsVision
HFB Partner

HF:

01/19/10 - Post Game - Kings

Kings Vision brings you exclusive interviews. Smyth, Brown and Coach Murray of the Kings spoke with the media following the game on 1/19/10.

Click HERE to watch!

01/19/10 - Post Game - Sharks

Kings Vision brings you exclusive interviews. Nabokov, Clowe and Coach Mclellan of the Sharks spoke with the media following the game on 1/19/10.

Click HERE to watch!

KingsVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 02:24 AM
aegwillnotwinthecup*

Abomination of a game. Jones-Harrold is laugh out loud depressing.

The only positive you can take out of this game was that Brown played really well.

aegwillnotwinthecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 02:31 AM
bland

The Clowe goal was another interesting play.

Harrold comes from behind the blueline with three options - go up the boards, go across to his partner Johnson, or go up the middle to Frolov.

When you look at the Kings breakout system, more often than not the preferred breakout with clean control is for the defenseman to go up the boards to a winger who then moves it quickly to the middle for a clean breakout with speed and posession.

If that fails, the d-man is supposed to settle down, reassess, and move the puck across ice to his partner so the forwards can regroup.

This seemed like a breakdown. Frolov was the easiest and "cleanest" option for Harrold, but it sure looked like Frolov looked away from Harrold to the right for a half second, where systematically he was expecting Harrold to send the puck. When Fro saw it wasn't an option he looked back for the pass, and it was just off the heel of his stick.

Players always know who is on the ice with them - I wonder if it was a player other than Clowe, who would have no problem David Booth-ing Frolov if he had the chance, if Alex would have looked that puck onto his stick. I was never particularly skilled with the puck, but cleanly receiving a puck on the back hand while moving away from the passer ain't the easist thing to do.

Either way, it sure seemed like a glitch in the system coupled with a potential suicide pass from Harrold. 9 times out of 10 that puck gets tipped by Fro in a different direction and clears the zone, so I guess this was just one of those things in a game full of them.

Old
01-20-2010, 02:44 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Murray should put this on the projector at tomorrow's team meeting -

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=306906

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 04:26 AM
JDM
HFB Partner

As soon as I entered Staples and saw that Randy Jones was the picture on the roster cards, I said to my buddy "This is a very bad omen".

Sho' 'nuff.

Blame it all on the roster cards.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 04:32 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Frozen Royalty Audio And NHL Video: LA Kings Fail To Show Up In Loss To Sharks

Frozen Royalty Audio And NHL Video: LA Kings Fail To Show Up In Blowout Loss To Sharks

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 07:07 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

They lost a game against arguably the best team in the NHL. Kings are a fringe playoff team, they are not expected to beat a team as good as the sharks, especially not when the sharks can have a field day against Jones-Harrold. This is a loss you can shake off, because a win was very unlikely

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:00 AM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
They lost a game against arguably the best team in the NHL. Kings are a fringe playoff team, they are not expected to beat a team as good as the sharks, especially not when the sharks can have a field day against Jones-Harrold. This is a loss you can shake off, because a win was very unlikely
I think more Jones.... I thought Harrold played a pretty good game. I like him on D. Anybody paired with Jones would look pretty bad.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:45 AM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsRule View Post
im 23 years old. been a kings fan since i was a kid. Been more and more obsessed with the teams every move the last 5 years or so.
... Cool. You probably got an earlier start in life being a Kings' fan than I did.

Quote:
Ive also been on this board longer than you
... That's irrelevant. I've had a membership on this and several boards for a decade. I tried to get my old membership re-activated, but couldn't. I knew I would take the newbie **** as a result, but that's OK. I can handle that.

Quote:
and the three months youve been here, youve been nothing but an ass, and i think i speak for most of us here when i say that.
... One, you speak only for yourself. Don't be afraid to stand on your own. Two, I disagree with you. I've always tried to include something useful in almost all of my posts, whether it be some numbers or some strategy. If you're really that offended by my posting or my presence here, then just put me on ignore instead of using your first post to me in this thread as an attempt to insult me somehow. It was weak and only makes you look like a hypocrite. Either way, I won't lose much sleep over it.

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

so a PGT after a game we lose contains less complaints than a game we win? Interesting

At least we have pointless bicker filling the void

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:52 AM
jimmy1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Irreverent View Post
Just finished watching the first period (replay). Kings looked great for the first 4 1/2 minutes then Brown takes that penalty which killed them. Johnson looked good, why is he always getting singled out? Jones can't even skate...
Because people know that he has a killer offensive skill set, so when they see his skill set and a team-leading minus rating, they assume he can't play defense and harp on him.

I think Johnson is an awesome defenseman and that his +/- is a terrible indication of his play. Anyone that makes a point of watching Jack away from the puck will realize what a solid defender he is. His upper-body strength and love to punish along the boards make him an excellent defenseman.

IMO he's the clear cut second-best defenseman behind Doughty.

Rough game last night, but not as bad considering that DET/NASH/PHX/CGY all lost recently as well. We didn't lose ground, just missed an opportunity to gain some.

Here's hoping we bounce back against Buffalo!

jimmy1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:59 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... A powerplay that was 6th in the league gets blanked for four games!!! Fire everyone!!!
[/img]
I've figured it out. You are somehow related to Kompon. It's the only explanation on how someone can not see a problem with the PP.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:18 PM
hail2ducks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy1100 View Post
Because people know that he has a killer offensive skill set, so when they see his skill set and a team-leading minus rating, they assume he can't play defense and harp on him.

I think Johnson is an awesome defenseman and that his +/- is a terrible indication of his play. Anyone that makes a point of watching Jack away from the puck will realize what a solid defender he is. His upper-body strength and love to punish along the boards make him an excellent defenseman.

IMO he's the clear cut second-best defenseman behind Doughty.

Rough game last night, but not as bad considering that DET/NASH/PHX/CGY all lost recently as well. We didn't lose ground, just missed an opportunity to gain some.

Here's hoping we bounce back against Buffalo!

but the ducks are quickly catching up

hail2ducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:25 PM
Johnny Utah

Harrold and Jones....?

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:27 PM
KingsCast

Send a message via AIM to KingsCast
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
As soon as I entered Staples and saw that Randy Jones was the picture on the roster cards, I said to my buddy "This is a very bad omen".

Sho' 'nuff.

Blame it all on the roster cards.
LOL! Indeed it was.

KingsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 03:59 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
Not singling you out, because you're not the first to bring this "superior team" excuse out - yours was just the latest of many similar comments. Terry Murray even said something similar. But really, is it a valid excuse when the Kings are .500 against the Sharks this year? Personally, I find it unacceptable. You have a winning record against them this year. EXPECT TO WIN. And when you don't win, don't just meekly say "but they're a better team than us".

Also, I too find Randy Jones unacceptable. I mean, how is bringing up a new kid (ANY new kid) from Manchester any greater of a defensive liability than Jones? COME ON, at least the new kid would be getting some valuable experience! Jones is JUST BRUTAL to watch. I actually feel pain when he has (or more likely loses) the puck.

SLang is online now   Reply With Quote