HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Ryan The Great

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2010, 12:37 AM
  #1
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,555
vCash: 500
Ryan The Great

How much do you love Ryan Callahan? I don't know if there will be a reincarnation of Christ, but we are already seeing the reincarnation of Graves.

He's not scoring as well, but what hussle, what effort. The kid is busting his rear end out there like a prospect during preseason trying to make the team.

And yes, he won't score 30-50 goals like Graves, but Cally will probably net 20+ goals for the second year in a row.

Many view him as a third liner, but a kid who can score 20 goals, hit, hussle and play good defense is a second liner in my book. His stats this year are similar to Larmer's in his two Ranger seasons. So is his hussle.

I hope Cally stays a Ranger for the rest of his career, which hopefully will last another dozen years.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:58 AM
  #2
Ail
Occult Knowledge
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 14,587
vCash: 500
Not gonna lie, I love watching the kid play most nights. He's just always doing whatever he can to be the most noticeable force on the ice when his line is out there. On the PK he's almost ALWAYS the most noticeable guy making a solid effort to battle for pucks and clear the zone, and on top of that usually create short-handed pressure in the other teams end.

Truly a great player with a great work ethic. He may never be an amazing goal scorer, but even if that's true, he's still a great player for the future of the club. I'm glad he's a Ranger.

I can't wait to see him play for team U.S.A.

__________________
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:00 AM
  #3
mrhockey193195
Registered User
 
mrhockey193195's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 3,169
vCash: 500
Every since he joined the team, he's been one of my favorites. With his play over the last 2 seasons in particular, I put him up there with some of my favorite players of all time. Callahan is everything right about a hockey player.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:00 AM
  #4
t3hg00se
Registered User
 
t3hg00se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,392
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynHockey99 View Post
How much do you love Ryan Callahan? I don't know if there will be a reincarnation of Christ, but we are already seeing the reincarnation of Graves.

He's not scoring as well, but what hussle, what effort. The kid is busting his rear end out there like a prospect during preseason trying to make the team.

And yes, he won't score 30-50 goals like Graves, but Cally will probably net 20+ goals for the second year in a row.

Many view him as a third liner, but a kid who can score 20 goals, hit, hussle and play good defense is a second liner in my book. His stats this year are similar to Larmer's in his two Ranger seasons. So is his hussle.

I hope Cally stays a Ranger for the rest of his career, which hopefully will last another dozen years.
I think that all in all, Callahan will have a career very similar to Drury's in every aspect.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:25 AM
  #5
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary
 
Lundqvist=Vezina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: My world
Country: United States
Posts: 5,226
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
But he doesn't deserve to be on team USA according to Devils and Isles fans

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:33 AM
  #6
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 9,991
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
But he doesn't deserve to be on team USA according to Devils and Isles fans
"Callahan can't hold Okposo's jock" ~Isles fan comment in the USA hockey thread

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:34 AM
  #7
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors
 
Beacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 7,555
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
But he doesn't deserve to be on team USA according to Devils and Isles fans
I think you have to watch Cally daily to understand his value. If you watch a guy hussle a couple shifts, you just ignore it. Anyone can go chasing the puck into the corner. For all you know, he just got yelled at by the coach.

It is in watching Cally hussle shift after shift after shift after shift that you realize what you got there.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:46 AM
  #8
BklyNYR4Life
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 401
vCash: 500
He can spend his entire Rangers career being a 40-50 point guy who busts his hump every shift, and I'll never complain.

Elite guy? No way. But I'll go to war with him each and every game.

Simply put:

That'Away Ry!!!

BklyNYR4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 02:17 AM
  #9
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks
 
SlingshotVv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,425
vCash: 500
cally is going to be a major part of USA's olympic run. i can't imagine any serious american fans wouldn't want cally seeing ice-time especially in a short tournament where the teams that play the hardest shift after shift tend to get hot the quickest.

drury's an important player for the NYR right now, but in all honesty i wouldn't have been upset to see wilson and torts go with oshie over drury for the olympic run. i would've figured a team with langenbrunner, backes, brown, and cally wouldn't necessarily need another 2 way forward, and could've went with someone who is more talented offensively (albeit streaky as hell).


just my .02

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 03:09 AM
  #10
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 29,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
I think that all in all, Callahan will have a career very similar to Drury's in every aspect.

Except the ridiculous contract.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 06:38 AM
  #11
OrbitalDynamics
Ants? Solid Plan.
 
OrbitalDynamics's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Stalag Luft LGA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,928
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
But he doesn't deserve to be on team USA according to Devils and Isles fans

I think its more grumpy Icelander fans than Devil fans.I've seen quite a few complimentary comments about Callahan from Devil fans.

I can't stand the Devils, but once Parise and Langenbrunner put on USA sweaters all that stuff goes out the window.

OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 07:19 AM
  #12
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor
 
klingsor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 14,040
vCash: 500
I thought Callahan-Drury made team USA because they are an excellent PK duo.
Both in the top 6 among NHL forwards in blocking shots.

Some people don't understand that team USA is not an All-Star team but a team constructed to win real games.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 07:53 AM
  #13
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,575
vCash: 500
Graves was a legit powerforward--something that Callahan will never be. Callahan hustles and hits everything that moves but Graves hit harder, fought more often and was better at it, could set up in front of the net and stay there and take an incredible amount of abuse and still have the hands to finish. He also had Messier to center him and Leetch out on the blueline plus better quality teammates. The only real advantage I can see Callahan having over Adam is straight ahead speed. Adam has a shot at the HOF though IMO not that likely.

After the 94 season Larmer--who was heading into his mid 30's played his last season with a bad back. That's why he retired early. Larmer was more of a heads up player. He was never a great skater. He always knew where he should be and found a way to get there. He also was a great finisher. Larmer--mostly from his days with the Blackhawks--is also potentially a HOF'er--a little more likely than Adam.

I don't really see a good comparison between Callahan and either of those two. I see a versatile 2nd/3rd line wing who should pot 15-25 goals per year for the next several seasons. I'm more inclined to see him as 'Ryan the good'.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 08:34 AM
  #14
Jackson Ranger
Registered User
 
Jackson Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Graves was a legit powerforward--something that Callahan will never be. Callahan hustles and hits everything that moves but Graves hit harder, fought more often and was better at it, could set up in front of the net and stay there and take an incredible amount of abuse and still have the hands to finish. He also had Messier to center him and Leetch out on the blueline plus better quality teammates. The only real advantage I can see Callahan having over Adam is straight ahead speed. Adam has a shot at the HOF though IMO not that likely.

After the 94 season Larmer--who was heading into his mid 30's played his last season with a bad back. That's why he retired early. Larmer was more of a heads up player. He was never a great skater. He always knew where he should be and found a way to get there. He also was a great finisher. Larmer--mostly from his days with the Blackhawks--is also potentially a HOF'er--a little more likely than Adam.

I don't really see a good comparison between Callahan and either of those two. I see a versatile 2nd/3rd line wing who should pot 15-25 goals per year for the next several seasons. I'm more inclined to see him as 'Ryan the good'.
I would agree. I like Callahan's effort and he has shown very good speed but there is no way he can be compared to Graves or can he be called great. As an older fan of the Rangers, he reminds me of a faster Eddie Johnstone.

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 08:39 AM
  #15
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 5,882
vCash: 500
If I had to trade the whole Rangers team away except 3 guys, they would be TheKing, Callahan, Gaborik.


Callahan makes me speak positive things at the top of my lungs.

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:04 AM
  #16
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 15,790
vCash: 500
The comparison to Graves is premature. I don't see Ryan bringing enough offense to the table to match Gravey, and that's an important part of the equation.

That being said, he's certainly a great player. It's disappointing to see people continue to label him as a "great 3rd liner, but average 2nd liner." I've said it before, but I think people need to familiarize themselves with how many players in this league score 20 goals in a season. It's not as many as you'd think.

Callahan brings everything to the table that a 3rd liner should, but he also brings offense. That's what sets him apart and makes him a legitimate 2nd liner.

If we're ever at a point where Callahan is unable to crack our top-six, well, I'll feel sorry for the rest of the league because we'll be an offensive powerhouse.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:32 AM
  #17
allstar3970
Registered User
 
allstar3970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
The comparison to Graves is premature. I don't see Ryan bringing enough offense to the table to match Gravey, and that's an important part of the equation.

That being said, he's certainly a great player. It's disappointing to see people continue to label him as a "great 3rd liner, but average 2nd liner." I've said it before, but I think people need to familiarize themselves with how many players in this league score 20 goals in a season. It's not as many as you'd think.

Callahan brings everything to the table that a 3rd liner should, but he also brings offense. That's what sets him apart and makes him a legitimate 2nd liner.

If we're ever at a point where Callahan is unable to crack our top-six, well, I'll feel sorry for the rest of the league because we'll be an offensive powerhouse.
i think that last statement is pushing it just a wee bit. 117 forwards scored 20 or more last year. If we say 30 teams X 6 top-6 forwards = 180 "top 6" forwards. That puts callahans production somewhere in the middle of the pack. With what else he brings I have no problem with him on the 2nd line. But his production is definitely no better than average for a top 6 forward, especially when you consider he gets a lot of ice time/time on the PP. None of this is an insult or slight at callahan who i think is great for this team.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:37 AM
  #18
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
i think that last statement is pushing it just a wee bit. 117 forwards scored 20 or more last year. If we say 30 teams X 6 top-6 forwards = 180 "top 6" forwards. That puts callahans production somewhere in the middle of the pack. With what else he brings I have no problem with him on the 2nd line. But his production is definitely no better than average for a top 6 forward, especially when you consider he gets a lot of ice time/time on the PP. None of this is an insult or slight at callahan who i think is great for this team.
I agree. I have to stop short of calling Callahan a legitimate top 6 player. Id even say the same for Dubinsky, although hes much closer.

But honestly, the term top 6 forward is intangible and comes down to how individual fans view the game. I just happen to think top 6'ers should be complete players...and while Callahan is great at bringing energy every night and capable of scoring about 20 goals per season, I dont think he'll ever have the puck handling skills or the vision to take that next step to a 50+ point player.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:38 AM
  #19
GothamRanger
Registered User
 
GothamRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 1,016
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
If he puts 20 - 30 goals each season he'll easily match Graves offensive production. I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility for Callahan.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:45 AM
  #20
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamRanger View Post
If he puts 20 - 30 goals each season he'll easily match Graves offensive production. I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility for Callahan.
I guess so, if youre talking about over his career, but Graves had 52, 38, 36, and 33 goal seasons as a Ranger. At this point, I find it hard to believe that Callahan can crack 30 in any given season.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:52 AM
  #21
Fitzy
Relative to what?
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,184
vCash: 50
One of the better third liners in the league and a tribute to the organization with his work ethic.

One thing I have noticed though is that playing on the RW, as a right handed shot, he seems have difficulty turning the corner towards the net from the outside circle, and even if he does its a backhanded shot on net.

I wouldn't mind giving him an opportiunity at LW.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:31 AM
  #22
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 15,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
i think that last statement is pushing it just a wee bit. 117 forwards scored 20 or more last year. If we say 30 teams X 6 top-6 forwards = 180 "top 6" forwards. That puts callahans production somewhere in the middle of the pack. With what else he brings I have no problem with him on the 2nd line. But his production is definitely no better than average for a top 6 forward, especially when you consider he gets a lot of ice time/time on the PP. None of this is an insult or slight at callahan who i think is great for this team.
It's not his production that makes him better than average, it's the fact that he produces and does everything else you could ask of a player. There's a point where

Even if he's in "the middle of the pack" amongst top-six forwards, that still means we need 6 guys who are scoring 20+ goals in the lineup, plus Callahan. What team can come close to that? Chicago? San Jose? I'd definitely consider those teams "powerhouses" in terms of offense.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:50 AM
  #23
Trxjw
Moderator
Bored.
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Land of no calls..
Country: United States
Posts: 15,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I agree. I have to stop short of calling Callahan a legitimate top 6 player. Id even say the same for Dubinsky, although hes much closer.

But honestly, the term top 6 forward is intangible and comes down to how individual fans view the game. I just happen to think top 6'ers should be complete players...and while Callahan is great at bringing energy every night and capable of scoring about 20 goals per season, I dont think he'll ever have the puck handling skills or the vision to take that next step to a 50+ point player.
I can't say I agree with you at all on your 2nd paragraph. I think the one thing that separates the "top six" from the "bottom six" is how effective they are at getting the puck in the net. Not how well they put the puck in the net themselves, but how useful they are in getting points on the board.

Not every top-six player is "complete." In fact, I'd go as far as to say there are more "incomplete" top-six forwards in the league than "complete" ones. Alex Semin plays no defense at all, is he a top-six forward? Tomas Holmstrom skates like my Grandmother and has terrible vision, is he not a top-six player? See what I'm getting at?

Look at it this way: Jed Ortmeyer and Ryan Callahan are both solid defensively, very fast, and play with a ton of heart. What separates the two? It's the fact that while Callahan may not have the greatest hands in the world, he's still able to find ways to put the puck in the net, or generate chances for his linemates by causing turn overs or retrieving the puck from the dirty areas. Ortmeyer can't do that.

It's the same reasoning behind people wanting Avery on the top line with Gaborik, or with Jagr in previous years. Is he a skill player? Not even close, but he does the things that allow those players to succeed. That's often just as important in this game as having sweet hands and a goal scorers touch.

I don't care how many notches Callahan has in the "A" column on the scoresheet. He doesn't get an assist for crushing a defensemen into the boards on the forecheck which allows his linemates to create an odd-man opportunity in front of the net. He doesn't get an assist for causing a give away in the neutral zone. Those things don't show up on the box score, but are just as important to the offense as the guy who dipsy-do's through the guys legs and feeds someone for a one-timer. If he scores 20+ goals, while bringing everything else I've mentioned to the table, I'll put him on my 2nd line every night.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:55 AM
  #24
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist
 
Riche16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: FL
Country: United States
Posts: 3,145
vCash: 500
If we compare Cally's heart to Gravy's I could see it.

He's fearless as well... but they're two different players to be sure.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:55 AM
  #25
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,350
vCash: 500
'Ryan the good' sounds better.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.