HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Bag Skate #2 today

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2010, 09:34 AM
  #26
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,101
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Is this correct? Everyone got bag skated except Captain Moreau? My opinion of Quinn is rapidly plummeting if that is true. If the team deserved to be bag skated after last game then Moreau should be getting bag skated after EVERY game. The fact that even the new coach has blinders up for the old leadership group is very troubling. The old leadership group is about 70% of our problems.

Personally, I think this bag skate was a horrible idea.
At this point I don't really care if some of the players get hurt feelings. They won 1 game in the last 18 or something, I'd be fine with that if there was an effort but that has disappeared.

Renney said he hates doing them, but really this was a situation where it is somewhat acceptable.

I would've thrown Tambo and his assistants out there as well.

As for Moreau missing it, it's because he was injuried a few others missed it as well.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:37 AM
  #27
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,101
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
why punish them because as a collective they suck?

they should make Lowe and Tambo bag skate instead for overpaying "third line" players, inactivity, paying 4 million for a known cripple in net, depending on too many BAD draft picks/trades. same with Pat Quinn. youre the one who took the job without even evaluating the roster or knowing ANY of the players. Mac-T warned everyone on his exit interview and ANYONE with a brain knew last season that this group of players couldnt execute a game of hockey. do your homework, codger. "back in my day." yeah yeah yeah, everyones heard stories out of their old man and by about the third word you stop listening. keep talking old geezer, we know you know it all.

"YOU GUYS SHOULD BE ASHAMED THAT WE'RE THE DUMB ONES! OK?!"

not saying the players dont deserve it, but rhetorically, how about punish the morons who put this Circus of Turds together if theyre all about "accountability" and butt spankings?
I agree on management they are the ones that fail to realize the changes that need to be made. At least Quinn has said that he is trying to do the best with what he has given.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:01 AM
  #28
Mentallydull
Registered User
 
Mentallydull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,077
vCash: 500
2 of the 3 players that most deserved that bag skate (Moreau and Staios) didn't take part.

Lovely.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:23 AM
  #29
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
At this point I don't really care if some of the players get hurt feelings. They won 1 game in the last 18 or something, I'd be fine with that if there was an effort but that has disappeared.

Renney said he hates doing them, but really this was a situation where it is somewhat acceptable.

I would've thrown Tambo and his assistants out there as well.

As for Moreau missing it, it's because he was injuried a few others missed it as well.
Beating down and exhausting the guys won't help them win. Actually nothing short of different players will help them win, so treating our current slide like it's a coaching issue to be solved is pointless. They may as well be graceful with our fall rather then try meaningless gestures for the sake of publicity.

And how much do you want to bet Staios and Moreau were too hurt for the bag skate, but manage to play tonight just fine? I think they were allowed to opt out by management and that is a very bad sign for now and the future.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:30 AM
  #30
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,101
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Beating down and exhausting the guys won't help them win. Actually nothing short of different players will help them win, so treating our current slide like it's a coaching issue to be solved is pointless. They may as well be graceful with our fall rather then try meaningless gestures for the sake of publicity.

And how much do you want to bet Staios and Moreau were too hurt for the bag skate, but manage to play tonight just fine? I think they were allowed to opt out by management and that is a very bad sign for now and the future.
Not sure that it is about winning as much as it is not giving up. I never seen the COL game, but it sounds like it was the worse effort of the year. This is what Quinn doesn't want happening. Quinn won't say it, but if they loss every game this year because they were outplayed he would be fine with that. It's when we lose the game through our mistakes and lack of effort that gets him boiling.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:32 AM
  #31
mikemc89
Registered User
 
mikemc89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Medicine Hat
Country: Canada
Posts: 178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loweball View Post
I wonder how the players feel that their captain didn't have to participate because "he tweaked his neck".

Moreau should have been front and centre in the bag skate for the bone head penalties. This is crap as far as I'm concerned.

or..when Ethan's neck is better, he gets his own bag skate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Is this correct? Everyone got bag skated except Captain Moreau? My opinion of Quinn is rapidly plummeting if that is true. If the team deserved to be bag skated after last game then Moreau should be getting bag skated after EVERY game. The fact that even the new coach has blinders up for the old leadership group is very troubling. The old leadership group is about 70% of our problems.

Personally, I think this bag skate was a horrible idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
2 of the 3 players that most deserved that bag skate (Moreau and Staios) didn't take part.

Lovely.
Some of these just bother me.

The unachieving, underperforming, and perhaps underworking (some, not all of them) veterans on this team piss me off just like the rest of you.

But these guys didn't just take a "maintenance day", they're HURT. Clearly these injuries are leaving them out of tonight's game, they're not just taking the option.

Moreau might be taking stupid penalties and be a shadow of his former self, and definitely not the right leader for this club, but he's not just skipping out on bag skates for fun.

And Staios has been one of the few guys still willing to bleed for the crest, despite his fading talent. He might be a talent problem, but he's not a heart problem. Don't cut him up for that.

mikemc89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:41 AM
  #32
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,101
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemc89 View Post
Some of these just bother me.

The unachieving, underperforming, and perhaps underworking (some, not all of them) veterans on this team piss me off just like the rest of you.

But these guys didn't just take a "maintenance day", they're HURT. Clearly these injuries are leaving them out of tonight's game, they're not just taking the option.

Moreau might be taking stupid penalties and be a shadow of his former self, and definitely not the right leader for this club, but he's not just skipping out on bag skates for fun.

And Staios has been one of the few guys still willing to bleed for the crest, despite his fading talent. He might be a talent problem, but he's not a heart problem. Don't cut him up for that.

X2, fact is Staios didn't play against Colorado because of a concussion but yes he skipped it because Quinn told him he hasn't done nothing wrong. Pouilot missed it to, simply because he has just came off an injury and played 4 games in 4 nights but people don't see the common sense side of it.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:43 AM
  #33
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Not sure that it is about winning as much as it is not giving up. I never seen the COL game, but it sounds like it was the worse effort of the year. This is what Quinn doesn't want happening. Quinn won't say it, but if they loss every game this year because they were outplayed he would be fine with that. It's when we lose the game through our mistakes and lack of effort that gets him boiling.
Fair enough, effort is always important and I didn't see the Col game either, so maybe it was required. But normally a bag skate is caused by losing many in a row, not for losing one badly, although I suppose there are exceptions to that.

But the fact that some people didn't have to do it really bothers me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemc89 View Post
Some of these just bother me.

The unachieving, underperforming, and perhaps underworking (some, not all of them) veterans on this team piss me off just like the rest of you.

But these guys didn't just take a "maintenance day", they're HURT. Clearly these injuries are leaving them out of tonight's game, they're not just taking the option.

Moreau might be taking stupid penalties and be a shadow of his former self, and definitely not the right leader for this club, but he's not just skipping out on bag skates for fun.

And Staios has been one of the few guys still willing to bleed for the crest, despite his fading talent. He might be a talent problem, but he's not a heart problem. Don't cut him up for that.
Staios I will revoke my statements on as he missed last game, but Moreau played against the Avs and is pencilled in for tonight. He absolutely opted out of the bag skate, imo. There isn't anything that could have happened to him after last game, but before the bag skate, that has healed up by today.

Moreau is just a horrible captain, and skipping the bag skate cause he didn't want to do it is something I absolutely wouldn't put past him.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:12 AM
  #34
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,101
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Fair enough, effort is always important and I didn't see the Col game either, so maybe it was required. But normally a bag skate is caused by losing many in a row, not for losing one badly, although I suppose there are exceptions to that.

But the fact that some people didn't have to do it really bothers me.



Staios I will revoke my statements on as he missed last game, but Moreau played against the Avs and is pencilled in for tonight. He absolutely opted out of the bag skate, imo. There isn't anything that could have happened to him after last game, but before the bag skate, that has healed up by today.

Moreau is just a horrible captain, and skipping the bag skate cause he didn't want to do it is something I absolutely wouldn't put past him.
I hate Moreau as much as the next guy, but if he was banged up maybe it's better that he take the day off so that he doesn't further injury himself. I really don't know what the injury is though, so I really don't want to blame him that much yet.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:37 AM
  #35
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,155
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I hate Moreau as much as the next guy, but if he was banged up maybe it's better that he take the day off so that he doesn't further injury himself. I really don't know what the injury is though, so I really don't want to blame him that much yet.
I really doubt it was that bad, unless the guy couldn't move he would have been able to go out and skate. It sends a VERY bad message to the rest of the room when one player opts out of a bag skate, let alone the Captain.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:41 AM
  #36
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I really doubt it was that bad, unless the guy couldn't move he would have been able to go out and skate. It sends a VERY bad message to the rest of the room when one player opts out of a bag skate, let alone the Captain.
He reportedly "tweaked his neck" That shouldn't impact his ability to do a bag skate at all.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:43 AM
  #37
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,101
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
He reportedly "tweaked his neck" That shouldn't impact his ability to do a bag skate at all.
Never had a neck injury before? If you have problems moving your neck, I could see where a bag skate would hurt.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:46 AM
  #38
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Never had a neck injury before? If you have problems moving your neck, I could see where a bag skate would hurt.
Ever had one that didn't impact your ability to play hockey games on Monday and Wednesday, but did lay you up completely on Tuesday?

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:52 AM
  #39
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You know, hooking behind the opposition net, going off on a bad line change, making craptastic pinches, making excuses for an eighth straight loss, meat and potatoes stuff.


You win this thread.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:01 PM
  #40
oilerfan17
Registered User
 
oilerfan17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Washington, D.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,912
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Ever had one that didn't impact your ability to play hockey games on Monday and Wednesday, but did lay you up completely on Tuesday?
There's a difference between being bedridden with it and not wanting to work the **** out of it during a bag skate. Further tweaking it would have made the problem even worse, causing him to miss games. In all the negative fervor towards Moreau's on-ice play, people seem to have forgotten that he is a proud guy who takes his job as captain seriously. He isn't just going to sit out of something like this without good reason to. Quinn and the coaching staff aren't going to let him either.

oilerfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:03 PM
  #41
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,101
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Ever had one that didn't impact your ability to play hockey games on Monday and Wednesday, but did lay you up completely on Tuesday?
It's called playing with heart when you need to.

Look you may hate that Moreau missed the bag skate, but fact is lots of players miss practices throughout the league and then lay it on the line for games. So he missed the practice, if he practice and got hurt you'd be *****ing that he got hurt on something as stupid as a bag skate.

No matter what happens there are a bunch of fans like you that will complain no matter what this team does.

People are complaing because of the way Katz is doing business with Lowe and Horcoff, guess what he is a billionaire let him do things the way he wants it obviously worked for him.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:13 PM
  #42
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,155
vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Never had a neck injury before? If you have problems moving your neck, I could see where a bag skate would hurt.
I've got a herniated disc and had whip lash in the past and its nothing that would stop me from going out and skating. Yes it would hurt but I don't see how it would make the situation worse. Now if he was having cramping in his leg or his knees were giving him problems that'd be a different story. A true Leader would have been on the ice no matter what, because you win as a team and you lose as a team. I can guarantee Stevie Y never missed a bag skate because of a "tweaked" neck.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:15 PM
  #43
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
There's a difference between being bedridden with it and not wanting to work the **** out of it during a bag skate. Further tweaking it would have made the problem even worse, causing him to miss games. In all the negative fervor towards Moreau's on-ice play, people seem to have forgotten that he is a proud guy who takes his job as captain seriously. He isn't just going to sit out of something like this without good reason to. Quinn and the coaching staff aren't going to let him either.
So the fact that this neck injury sprang out of nowhere right before the the type of practice every play hates doesn't seem awful convenient to you? And the fact that it only impacts bag skates, not real games? Not suspicious at all? In my mind, any injury that stops you from being able to skate, takes you out of a game, even if it is a mostly minor thing you want to rest. If skating can aggravate the injury, playing can too.

Whatever. I think Moreau skipped it because he doesn't think he is responsible at all for our placement and that as the captain he shouldn't have to do it because of that. That is the attitude I get from him every time he opens his mouth. Him skipping a hard practice seems like par for the course to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
It's called playing with heart when you need to.

Look you may hate that Moreau missed the bag skate, but fact is lots of players miss practices throughout the league and then lay it on the line for games. So he missed the practice, if he practice and got hurt you'd be *****ing that he got hurt on something as stupid as a bag skate.

No matter what happens there are a bunch of fans like you that will complain no matter what this team does.

People are complaing because of the way Katz is doing business with Lowe and Horcoff, guess what he is a billionaire let him do things the way he wants it obviously worked for him.
Not in a million years, if Moreau got hurt I wouldn't bat an eye. I never cheer for injuries but Moreau is a detriment to this team on ice and in the lockerroom.

And I am actually an optimist about the Oilers. Probably overly so. But Moreau is the worst captain we have even had, and he needs to go. Him skipping a bag skate is just the latest example of how his version of "leadership" works.

PS being a billionaire doesn't automatically make you correct in all your hockey ownership decision.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:16 PM
  #44
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Ever had one that didn't impact your ability to play hockey games on Monday and Wednesday, but did lay you up completely on Tuesday?
Who do you think you are kidding?

Do you think it was as simple as Moreau going up to Quinn and saying "I would like to skip this one, coach"?

As has been similarly stated on this thread earlier, it is completely fair (and accurate) to note how Moreau and Staois' talent, speed, and maybe even playing sense has completely eroded. However, those are two of the proudest Oilers you will ever meet. If you think this season is hard for you, think about what somebody like Steve Staios is going through...

I'm all for trading/buying out/sending down this group of veterans so that we can start all over. However, every time I log onto these boards I'm half expecting somebody to make a serious post about one of them murdering little kittens for fun. Just because we are frustrated doesn't mean we have to descend further into cretinism and sensationalism than what passes for the typical here.

__________________
http://hfboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160 - the Unofficial HF Political board
thome_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:18 PM
  #45
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You know, hooking behind the opposition net, going off on a bad line change, making craptastic pinches, making excuses for an eighth straight loss, meat and potatoes stuff.
LOL. Nice one IATL.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:18 PM
  #46
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Not in a million years, if Moreau got hurt I wouldn't bat an eye. I never cheer for injuries but Moreau is a detriment to this team on ice andd in the lockerroom.
.
I used to remember you as being almost a rational poster...

If it was Sam Gagner with the exact same injury would you say the same thing? If it was Lubo would you say the same thing?

When it is concerning a player being injured you don't use double-standards simply because you wouldn't mind the guy getting a little more hurt.

thome_26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:23 PM
  #47
SixPackSteve
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4
vCash: 500
How silly is that? Now I know that Im supposed to lead by example and all that but Im not shoving that aside like it dont mean anything. I know its important, I honestly do but were talking about practice. Were talking about practice man. Were talking about practice. Were talking about practice. Were not talking about the game. Were talking about practice. When you come to the arena, and you see me play, youve seen me play right, youve seen me give everything Ive got, but were talking about practice right now. Hey I hear you, its funny to me too, hey its strange to me too but were talking about practice man, were not even talking about the game, when it actually matters, were talking about practice How the hell can I make my teammates better by practicing?
- Allen Iverson

SixPackSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:26 PM
  #48
Master Lok
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
2 of the 3 players that most deserved that bag skate (Moreau and Staios) didn't take part.

Lovely.
Staios is out with concussion-like symptoms. He didn't play against the Avs. Man, some of the hate is really coloring your bias.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:28 PM
  #49
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,101
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Staios is out with concussion-like symptoms. He didn't play against the Avs. Man, some of the hate is really coloring your bias.
Would you expect any different its not like fans backed up the likes of Torres, Stoll, Reasoner etc... why would they do any different with now with guys that aren't the stars of this team?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:32 PM
  #50
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional
 
s7ark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26 View Post
Who do you think you are kidding?

Do you think it was as simple as Moreau going up to Quinn and saying "I would like to skip this one, coach"?


As has been similarly stated on this thread earlier, it is completely fair (and accurate) to note how Moreau and Staois' talent, speed, and maybe even playing sense has completely eroded. However, those are two of the proudest Oilers you will ever meet. If you think this season is hard for you, think about what somebody like Steve Staios is going through...

I'm all for trading/buying out/sending down this group of veterans so that we can start all over. However, every time I log onto these boards I'm half expecting somebody to make a serious post about one of them murdering little kittens for fun. Just because we are frustrated doesn't mean we have to descend further into cretinism and sensationalism than what passes for the typical here.
No one, I am stating my opinion, as I always have. And I think as captain Moreau was privy to the info that the practice would be a bag skate and came up with an injury to rest as a result. I can see no other reason for how a tweaked neck can keep him from practices but not games. If the neck is bad enough that he can't skate in a circle, how is he supposed to take hits in a game? If I am missing something someone point out where I am wrong.

Everything I see of Moreau suggests that he views himself as above the rest of the lockerroom(at least everyone who isn't Staios or Horcoff). He is supposed to lead the kids by example. Skipping the bag skate is just another example of his ego and lack of leadership.

And no I wouldn't be raising this stink if it was Gags, as I have never seen anything from Sam suggesting he views himself as better then his teammates. Ever since Moreau got the C he has has a major chip on his shoulder.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.