HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Kovalchuk

Closed Thread

Old
01-20-2010, 02:08 AM
backhander

vCash: 500
All Things Kovalchuk

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=308953

Last edited by Telos: 02-04-2010 at 06:58 PM.
Old
01-20-2010, 02:23 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Yes the Kings can afford him in every sense. That isn't really the question. It is whether or not they want to part with the assets required to get him.

I think: 1st in 2010, 1st in 2011, Alexander Frolov, and an Mid-Upper Tier prospect and then tack on a conditional 2nd or so depending on Frolov.

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Old
01-20-2010, 02:23 AM
CowMix
Go Kings Go!

Can't see Dean giving enough when it comes to trading for and paying Kovy. Why would Atlanta want a UFA Frolov?

Old
01-20-2010, 02:30 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I absolutely hate this http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=726894

All this speculation and teasing can't be good >.< I am going to drive myself to an early grave salivating over Kovy. I am building it up so high that if we don't get Kovy I will be ridiculously disappointed.

Old
01-20-2010, 02:46 AM
RightKinger

Everyone is saying Kovalchuk to LA. When was the last time all the media people correctly predicted where a marquee player would end up?

Remember when the Kings were going to trade for Luongo or when they had signed Chara? What about when the Kings were definitely going to get one of Drury or Briere?

Hockey trades are so unpredictable. He'll probably end up being traded to Calgary or some random team no one will even mention. I hate rumors. They are painful for Kings fans. Especially the last few years.

Old
01-20-2010, 02:48 AM
Shellz

I'm not getting too excited. I would love to have him even if he is defensive handicapped. It would be suck to see some of our players being sent the other way.

Old
01-20-2010, 02:49 AM
kingsholygrail
You Face Jaraxxus!

As I said before. It's gonna be a very quiet trade deadline.

Old
01-20-2010, 02:54 AM
RightKinger

I haven't really watched Kovalchuk but if his defensive game is as bad as Ovechkins then I don't think he is worth the money he is rumored to be asking for. Ovechkin's idea of D is stand around until my team gets the puck then get open for a pass.

Old
01-20-2010, 03:10 AM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightKinger View Post
I haven't really watched Kovalchuk but if his defensive game is as bad as Ovechkins then I don't think he is worth the money he is rumored to be asking for. Ovechkin's idea of D is stand around until my team gets the puck then get open for a pass.
This is Kovalchuk's idea of defense:

Honestly, I think Kovy has a better than average chance of wearing a Kings jersey either at the end of this season or the start of next... I wouldn't put the chance at anything greater than 30%, but I certainly think it could be that high. Kovy is the star that DL wants, it all rests on if he is ready to pay the price that he said he would when the time came. Is this our time or does DL think about waiting for another fish? What kind of poker does DL play?

Old
01-20-2010, 03:34 AM
Shellz

somebody needs to shop kovy into a kings jersey

Old
01-20-2010, 04:25 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelle121 View Post
somebody needs to shop kovy into a kings jersey
NO, they should NOT.

Do NOT jinx it!

Old
01-20-2010, 04:30 AM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
NO, they should NOT.

Do NOT jinx it!
I just wanted to see

Old
01-20-2010, 04:34 AM
JDM

I think if the Kings surge and play very well and look convincingly like a 6-8 seed come the trade deadline, then Dean will go hard after Kovalchuk. If the team doesn't, and continues to be on the bubble, or worse, falters for a prolonged period, then Dean never considers making a deal. He will only do it to reward them, not bail them out as a push for the postseason. If Kovy hits UFA, Dean goes after him regardless of how the season turns out.

Old
01-20-2010, 07:08 AM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
Quote:
Everyone is saying Kovalchuk to LA. When was the last time all the media people correctly predicted where a marquee player would end up?

Remember when the Kings were going to trade for Luongo or when they had signed Chara? What about when the Kings were definitely going to get one of Drury or Briere?

Hockey trades are so unpredictable. He'll probably end up being traded to Calgary or some random team no one will even mention. I hate rumors. They are painful for Kings fans. Especially the last few years.
or how about as recently as the frolov/heatley/marleau three way trade.

Old
01-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Fat Elvis

I've thought about this the last few days and this is not an easy thing IMO. Every season you see a team that's right on the cusp of being a playoff team go out and make a big trade to push them over into contender range. But more often than not, that team fails either making the playoffs or gets smacked in the 1st round.

LA has to be damn sure that the assets they give up are not part of the solution here in LA. Because you hate to lose a JJ, then be missing a good dman that can log a lot of minutes in all situations. LA doesn't have a replacement JJ this season unless they make another move, which would cost them another asset.

If they can make the trade and give up picks and prospects, then make it. Losing working parts of this team could really hurt it and they need to be really careful who they move.

Old
01-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Kovalchuk will never play for the Kings.

/thread

Old
01-20-2010, 08:38 AM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
If Kovy hits UFA, Dean goes after him regardless of how the season turns out.
If he gets to UFA, there is no possible way he'll wind up in L.A. He's already experienced playing on a bad team, he will want to play for a contender (I would).

Even if DL is able to trade for him (which would look like a save-your-job-panic move), there's no way he'll sign a lengthy extension. So what's the point of fans salivating at the thought of him coming here?

This team has to start winning on its own before top-tier UFAs will even consider playing here.

The year before Gretzky came here, the Kings had (2) 50 goal scorers, a 30 goal scorer and (2) 20 goal scorers (who still has their Paul Fenton jersey?) They were a below .500 team, but they could SCORE. The current team will be lucky to have (1) 30 goal scorer, so what upside would Kovy see in coming here?

Last offseason, everyone thought NYR had no chance of getting Gabby, well, they moved a few players and fit him in. The same will happen with Kovalchuk - he will go to a top tier team.

Old
01-20-2010, 09:28 AM
Cosmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Kovalchuk will never play for the Kings.

/thread
OUCH!

Old
01-20-2010, 09:46 AM
ibleedkings
Is this real?

Dean better try hard to get this guy. Just watching the highlights of his shot, from the point, on the PP are sick. He would help our PP out BIG TIME.

Brown-Kopi-Smyth
Kovi-Doughty

This right here would save Kompon's job, lol.

Seriously though, this team hasn't had a star since Ziggy was here, and we are way over due. Please make it happen Dean.

Old
01-20-2010, 09:47 AM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
How many threads do we need about Kovy? all talk about the same damn thing.

Old
01-20-2010, 10:07 AM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Yes the Kings can afford him in every sense. That isn't really the question. It is whether or not they want to part with the assets required to get him.

I think: 1st in 2010, 1st in 2011, Alexander Frolov, and an Mid-Upper Tier prospect and then tack on a conditional 2nd or so depending on Frolov.
Why would ATL want UFA-to-be Frolov? Why would Frolov re-sign in ATL?

Old
01-20-2010, 10:12 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Sorry, number 17 is already taken.

Old
01-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Josh Deitell

Quote:

Those rumors aren't always wrong. For what it's worth, I talked to Chara's agent, Matt Keator, last year and he asked him, "How close were the Kings to getting Chara?" He said it was neck-and-neck between LA and Boston and the Kings' offer was more financially enticing but it was a matter of Chara deciding at the last minute that he wanted to stay on the east coast.

Old
01-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmos View Post
OUCH!
Just sayin' that Kings fans shouldn't get their hopes up about Kovalchuk. I did it last year with Gaborik, I started to believe that the Kings were going to be a serious player in the UFA market and it turned out that Lombardi didn't even want Gaborik. I'm still bitter about Gaborik not playing wing with Kopitar.

Now we have to watch the Rangers catch fire and make the playoffs with Gaborik leading the way.

Meanwhile, the Kings are well on their way to their traditional second half fade...

Old
01-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsRule View Post
How many threads do we need about Kovy? all talk about the same damn thing.
Seriously.. I love that this gets its own thread since it came from TSN but it still is the same old BS.

I'm with Sydor25, the Kings will not trade or sign Ilya Kovalchuk but by all means keep pounding one out!

Closed Thread