HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Things Kovalchuk

Closed Thread

Old
01-28-2010, 02:15 PM
johnjm22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Thanks for the kind words Foo Foo. After hearing what Dreger stated on NHL Tonight (two young roster players, two prospects and a high pick), I think we can assume that Lombardi will pull out of any bidding war for Kovalchuk, as he should.
That's what Waddel wants. In the end he'll most likely have to settle for something less.

Look at what Atlanta got for Hossa. Two mediocore dime-a-dozen roster players, a bust prospect, and a mid 1st rounder. That would be the equivalent of us giving up somthing like Moller, Jones, Purcell and a 1st.

But perhaps DW has learned from his mistakes...

Old
01-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
Great post Ziggy, I would add Ethan Moreau and Jamal Mayers to the list....upgrades over Segal.
I wouldn't mind Moreau as a rental, but I'm not so sure about Mayers at this point. As someone mentioned earlier, another big gamer who Lombardi is familiar with that can provide some spark and leadership is Owen Nolan. He was Calgary's best performer in the playoffs a couple seasons ago and can be helpful to have around the young locker room.

Old
01-28-2010, 02:33 PM
SLang

Quote:
Originally Posted by frolovfan View Post
As soon as you said Simmonds, it became a fantasy and I lost interest.
Right there with you. Love to have Kovi....but at the price of Simmonds when chances are nearly as good we could have him in the off-season. The fact that Atlanta won't let anyone negotiate to sign him actually could work in the Kings favor - as he could go to another team now and STILL end up a King when this summer rolls around.

Simmonds, Stoll, plus blue-chip picks is simply a ridiculous overpayment for even a great player like Kovi, if signing him long term isn't part of the deal.

If a deal like that got done I'd question Lombardi's mental state.

Old
01-28-2010, 02:55 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
1) Niklas Hagman
2) Ray Whitney
3) Raffi Torres
4) Andrew Cogliano
5) Michael Ryder
6) Alexei Ponikarovsky
7) Antti Miettinen
8) Steve Ott
9) Rene Bourque
10) Paul Kariya
To that list I wouldn't mind seeing names like Owen Nolan, Andrew Brunette, Curtis Glencross, Keith Tkachuk, and Lee Stempniak being included as well.

Something of a concern is that Hagman, Ryder, and Miettinen have been known to be frustratingly streaky with their scoring in the past. So people who need their blood pressure medication when thinking about Frolov might want to be aware of that.

This year Hagman has seemed to be more on than off, but I recall an interview with Ron Wilson early in the season where he fully acknowledged that his scoring comes and goes so they'll take whatever he can give them when he can.

Old
01-28-2010, 02:55 PM
wicker

I've got a strange feeling that Colorado might be a huge underdog in all of this. If they don't try to get him now, I see them making some noise in the off-season for IK. The Blues might be players, too.

Old
01-28-2010, 02:56 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

I think Boston has the most tradeable assets.

Old
01-28-2010, 03:07 PM
Johnny Utah

I mentioned earlier Boston has there pick, Toronto's pick this year AND next....they also have the dept with Savard, Bergeron and Krejci at center and tons of wingers...Lucic, Wheeler, Ryder, Recchi, Bitz, Sturm, and defense like Wideman, who is struggling...they have young kids ready to step in at D also...

Old
01-28-2010, 03:49 PM
KingsRule

Send a message via AIM to KingsRule
If we dont get Kovy, he better stay in the east...

Old
01-28-2010, 03:54 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

You know who I want to replace OD with over the summer? Z. Michalek. That guy is a gangster.

Old
01-28-2010, 04:02 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Lets say we get Kovy via free agency. Would we be able to sign Marleau also,not sure about the cap space. Kovy at 9 mill long term and Marleau at 5 mill and Fro at 3.5.

Old
01-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
Lets say we get Kovy via free agency. Would we be able to sign Marleau also,not sure about the cap space. Kovy at 9 mill long term and Marleau at 5 mill and Fro at 3.5.
Since when did Glen Sather take over the Kings?

Old
01-28-2010, 04:11 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Marleau at 5? Have you seen his stats?

Old
01-28-2010, 04:22 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
You know who I want to replace OD with over the summer? Z. Michalek. That guy is a gangster.
He sure is, I would love for him to be added on the Kings blue line. He's had a rough couple of games, a -3 and a -5. My fantasy team weeps.

Old
01-28-2010, 04:26 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Marleau at 5? Have you seen his stats?
ok, Im hoping for a DL discount but even at 6 mill could it be done.

Old
01-28-2010, 04:30 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
ok, Im hoping for a DL discount but even at 6 mill could it be done.
IF they sign Kovalchuk AND Marleau AND Frolov, how do you think they'll fit a new contract to retain Doughty and Johnson and Simmonds and Bernier and Teubert and Schenn and Hickey and so on and so forth? Let's be realistic and reasonable and stop thinking like Leafs or Rangers fans.

Old
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
I think Marleau will make closer to 6+ and Frolov slightly closer to 4.

The only way we would be able to sign all 3 of those guys is if we unload Stoll's and Handzus' contracts. Even then it would probably still put us over the CAP a bit.

Also see the above post...when our players hit RFA it will be diffuclt to re-sign them since the only real expiring contract (that opens up some cap space) remaining would be Justin Williams in a couple years.

DL will look to deal Stoll's or Handzus' contract in order to re-sign Frolov and bring in Kovalchuk because I doubt we get both without dealing one of these salaries.. He will then use William's and Handzus/Stoll's (whichever one remains) expiring contracts to re-sign his players if they are still with us (Simmonds, Moller, Doughty, JJ, possibly Bernier raise).

DL is a CAP expert or he just really has great people working for him. He has a plan and he will follow through with it.

In Dean I trust.

Last edited by Kingz4life: 01-28-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
He sure is, I would love for him to be added on the Kings blue line. He's had a rough couple of games, a -3 and a -5. My fantasy team weeps.
Yeah I asked over at the Phoenix board if they thought he would resign. Apparently there has been no talks of negotiations yet, but the GM has said Michalek is the top priority, but some fans still think there is a chance he will his UFA on 7/1. I hope DL goes after him if he does. They say they expect him to get ~3-4 million, as this will be his "set myself up for life" contract.

Old
01-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Yeah I asked over at the Phoenix board if they thought he would resign. Apparently there has been no talks of negotiations yet, but the GM has said Michalek is the top priority, but some fans still think there is a chance he will his UFA on 7/1. I hope DL goes after him if he does. They say they expect him to get ~3-4 million, as this will be his "set myself up for life" contract.
I think he'll get that if he hits the UFA market. He's one of those guys that flies under the radar of many fans but GMs around the league know how important he is.

Old
01-28-2010, 04:41 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belanger25 View Post
I think he'll get that if he hits the UFA market. He's one of those guys that flies under the radar of many fans but GMs around the league know how important he is.
A Michalek-Greene or Michalek-Scuderi pairing would be so disgusting. Give me that pairing in the playoffs.

I'm hoping Phoenix tanks it in the next few weeks and starts selling at the deadline. Pick up Michalek as a rental and have a ridiculous shutdown pairing for the playoffs in case we go up against San Jose, Vancouver or Chicago.

Old
01-28-2010, 04:47 PM
wicker

Quote:
A Michalek-Greene or Michalek-Scuderi pairing would be so disgusting. Give me that pairing in the playoffs.

I'm hoping Phoenix tanks it in the next few weeks and starts selling at the deadline. Pick up Michalek as a rental and have a ridiculous shutdown pairing for the playoffs in case we go up against San Jose, Vancouver or Chicago.
Michalek would be a dream. That guy is so solid and underrated.

Old
01-28-2010, 04:49 PM
wicker

Also:

For what it's worth, both Kings GM Dean Lombardi and Thrashers associate GM Rick Dudley were at Joe Louis Arena on Saturday night for the Kings' game against the Red Wings.

http://www.sportingnews.com/olympics...rsday-showdown

I've reached the point where I can't wait for this Kovy thing to end, one way or another.

Old
01-28-2010, 05:00 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Kurri is smarter than you think. He toys with all of us because it amuses him.
He can also destroy a girl's interior!!!

Old
01-28-2010, 05:04 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicker View Post
I've reached the point where I can't wait for this Kovy thing to end, one way or another.
Yeah, the nerves are getting to me. I want him, badly, but it will be nice once its settled in either direction. I do hope he moves though. I will be disappointed if he just ultimately resigns in Atlanta.

Old
01-28-2010, 05:05 PM
Johnny Utah

I wouldn't mind trading any combination of Frolov, Purcell, Stoll, Handzus, Richardson, Drewiske, Purcell, Parse, Hickey, Voynov and our 1st round pick pick...but the Kings better not deal Brown, Simmonds, Schenn, Teubert, Kozun, Kopitar, Quick, Doughty, Johnson or Bernier.

Old
01-28-2010, 05:19 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I wouldn't mind trading any combination of Frolov, Purcell, Stoll, Handzus, Richardson, Drewiske, Purcell, Parse, Hickey, Voynov and our 1st round pick pick...but the Kings better not deal Brown, Simmonds, Schenn, Teubert, Kozun, Kopitar, Quick, Doughty, Johnson or Bernier.
Handzus has a no trade clause so highly unlikely that will even occur. I'd move Hickey and Voinov to my don't trade list and move Teubert up to the trade list.

I just don't like Teubert's game. Too many times I think he gets caught flat footed.

I still think this trade is not worth it from the Kings "standpoint" as we will have to give up way too much and it's not really worth it at this point to even attempt it, with the uncertainty that Kovalchuk brings along with him.

Closed Thread