HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dean Lombardi: Jack Johnson Is Learning His Craft…Belatedly

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-20-2010, 09:17 PM
  #26
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
Is this chunk too big?
Nope.

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:18 PM
  #27
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,269
vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I loved the interview. It itself was raw and candid. His criticisms of Michigan are great, and it is nice to see him take such an active stance on the subject and also backup and talk frankly over Johnson. Good work Gann.

__________________

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:21 PM
  #28
CTKingsFan
6/11/12 & 6/13/14
 
CTKingsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 2,382
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Red Berenson can and does coach, and I think DL's Canadian bias just got the better of him. Honestly, to slap a coach with that much experience seems a bit classless. Maybe it was off the cuff, but DL rarely says anything that isn't thought out.

Wow, just WOW!
Lombardi is an American.

CTKingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:25 PM
  #29
riseandfall9
Registered User
 
riseandfall9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I loved the interview. It itself was raw and candid. His criticisms of Michigan are great, and it is nice to see him take such an active stance on the subject and also backup and talk frankly over Johnson. Good work Gann.
I always thought that Lombardi felt this way. With trying to get Jack out of Michgan quick and with the whole Lewis and Czarnik thang. But I never expected him to be so vocal on the subject.

To me I wonder how Jack if he does see this reacts? I mean Jack has said on a few occations how Red was a big influence in his life/career and Lombardi took a pretty big swipe at him.

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:25 PM
  #30
Ollie Weeks
Registered User
 
Ollie Weeks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Sioux Lookout, NWO
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingOmatic View Post
Lombardi is an American.
A reference to the CHL.

Ollie Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:59 PM
  #31
T2M
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauspaint View Post
Didn't Brian Boyle go to Boston?
I know I responded to this earlier, but just to clarify, Boyle went to Boston College, not Boston University.

T2M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:00 PM
  #32
T2M
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by riseandfall9 View Post
To me I wonder how Jack if he does see this reacts? I mean Jack has said on a few occations how Red was a big influence in his life/career and Lombardi took a pretty big swipe at him.
My suspicion is that Jack knew DL's feelings long before he vented them to Gann.

T2M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:13 PM
  #33
riseandfall9
Registered User
 
riseandfall9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T2M View Post
My suspicion is that Jack knew DL's feelings long before he vented them to Gann.
I was thinking the same thing. But I was reffering more to what about if he didnt lol. And if he didnt Im sure Jack Johnson Fan will show him lol.

riseandfall9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:19 PM
  #34
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,412
vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Damn Lombardi. Hope you don't want another guy from Michigan. Please don't tell me this is some, dumb, Boston hockey, ego trip.
Well...he did trade Cammalleri...

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:21 PM
  #35
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!
 
Legionnaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: LA-LA Land
Country: United States
Posts: 35,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan View Post
Red Berenson can and does coach, and I think DL's Canadian bias just got the better of him. Honestly, to slap a coach with that much experience seems a bit classless. Maybe it was off the cuff, but DL rarely says anything that isn't thought out.

Wow, just WOW!
This is more a long the lines of what I was thinking. Yikes.

Cammalleri anyone?

k19, there is a very old hockey rivalry between Boston, Michigan, and Minnesota. Watch the HBO Miracle on Ice again. That's the history, that is the bias.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:23 PM
  #36
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 110,412
vCash: 5602
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJohnsonFan View Post
Jack was a terrible hockey player at UM.

Sincerely,
Jack Johnson's unanimous First Team All-American selection
I think it was a bit blunt for what he meant, but those college awards and accolades don't mean a whole lot when you get to the NHL. How many Hobey Baker winners went to the NHL and showed why either (a) the won the Hobey Baker, or (b) proved the Hobey Baker is apt for college players?

Point was that he wasn't made NHL ready.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:42 PM
  #37
T2M
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I think it was a bit blunt for what he meant, but those college awards and accolades don't mean a whole lot when you get to the NHL. How many Hobey Baker winners went to the NHL and showed why either (a) the won the Hobey Baker, or (b) proved the Hobey Baker is apt for college players?

Point was that he wasn't made NHL ready.
Exactly, Dean's more frustrated that Jack has to learn the defensive end of the job, but it's also clear he's really proud of him for his progress this season, as the Olympic team birth demonstrates. That's a great sign. GKJ's point is bang on too, College (and we should add Junior, WJC, and AHL) accolades don't mean anything at the NHL level. You either do the job at both ends of the ice or you don't. Jack'll get it, and it may be sooner than later.

That said, I'd love for him to have a great "mentor" or "safety" partner, like Greene, again. That'd really help him evolve. Playing him with Jones is sounding like a failed experiment.

T2M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:53 PM
  #38
Jerky Leclerc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Anaheim
Country: United States
Posts: 7,634
vCash: 500
I can't remember specifics but I remember the Ducks had issues with the program at Michigan in regards to Mark Mitera.

Jerky Leclerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:39 AM
  #39
no name
Registered User
 
no name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 11,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
Not legally, no.
What I meant was snip key points.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:52 AM
  #40
Danny Woodhead
Registered User
 
Danny Woodhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 270
vCash: 500
As someone who doesn't get a chance to watch a lot of Kings games, and can only rely on the words of others regarding Jack's play, I'm now a little concerned about his selection to my beloved Team USA. If any of you guys have some words of encouragement for me, I will gladly accept them.

Danny Woodhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:00 AM
  #41
no name
Registered User
 
no name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 11,754
vCash: 500
This article is another reason for me to dislike management. Seriously, why the **** did we waste a year of JJ's eligability to bring him straight out of college for 5 games? Answer: To sell jerseys and put nacho eaters in the seats. Poor decision.

Jack should have spent a year in manchester instead of letting getting beat up on the job for cash.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:38 AM
  #42
FroFan
Registered User
 
FroFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
This article is another reason for me to dislike management. Seriously, why the **** did we waste a year of JJ's eligability to bring him straight out of college for 5 games? Answer: To sell jerseys and put nacho eaters in the seats. Poor decision.

Jack should have spent a year in manchester instead of letting getting beat up on the job for cash.
From what I recall, burning a year off his ELC with those 5 games was part of the negotiation to get Jack to leave school early. He could have stayed at Michigan for all 4 years.

The Kings also looked a lot different at the time. No Doughty, no Matt Greene, no Scuderi. Dallman and Harrold were getting regular playing time on defense. Raw as he was then, JJ was still an upgrade over Dallman & Harrold.

Edit: It could also be argued that Jack's game was better suited to the fire-drill style that then-coach Marc Crawford employed.

FroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:39 AM
  #43
no name
Registered User
 
no name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 11,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7pantera7 View Post
As someone who doesn't get a chance to watch a lot of Kings games, and can only rely on the words of others regarding Jack's play, I'm now a little concerned about his selection to my beloved Team USA. If any of you guys have some words of encouragement for me, I will gladly accept them.
The only thing this shows is the reason as to why he is not great by now. He's a good defenseman. There should be no concern.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:11 PM
  #44
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Murica
Country: United States
Posts: 19,410
vCash: 500
Is Lombardi always this frank? Very interesting. I'm a big JJ fan, but admit that much of what the article states is pretty spot on. It's not really an idictment of Johnson or even Michigan, it's more of cautionary tale when it comes to projecting players of his ilk. He was not coached to be a pro, he was coached to win at Michigan (not much of which happened).

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:17 PM
  #45
RampageNate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: San Antonio
Country: United States
Posts: 1,321
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Here is a take from a UM blog. You may think he has no ability to be objective, being a UM fan and all, but any amount of reading will show that Brian is very honest and objective in all of his writings. Even OSU and MSU fans like reading his stuff because of it's straight forwardness and honesty.


MGoBlog Link

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:22 PM
  #46
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Nickel View Post
Here is a take from a UM blog. You may think he has no ability to be objective, being a UM fan and all, but any amount of reading will show that Brian is very honest and objective in all of his writings. Even OSU and MSU fans like reading his stuff because of it's straight forwardness and honesty.


MGoBlog Link
He has his facts wrong regarding the Cammalleri 'luring' situation. Lombardi wasn't with the Kings, that was when Dave Taylor was GM. And Cammalleri's representatives were threatening a jump to the CHL (like Mike Van Ryn) in order to become an unrestricted free agent.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:59 PM
  #47
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 1,200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
What I meant was snip key points.
Well, that would be different, then. :-)

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:06 PM
  #48
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 31,223
vCash: 500
Not to rag on the Wolverines or Red Berenson, but I swear they are one of the most overrated hockey programs in the nation. Their last national title was over a decade ago and right now they are an average (at best) team. Who was the last notable player to come out of Michigan? Cammalleri?

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:41 PM
  #49
TONGA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 132
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TONGA Send a message via Yahoo to TONGA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJohnsonFan View Post
What a piece of garbage this article was.
Reminds me of a player that is currently tied for the 4th worst +/- in the NHL.

TONGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:50 PM
  #50
JackJohnsonFan*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
+/-

It's an important stat. Ya gotta believe me on this.

JackJohnsonFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.