HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Wilson forcing Kaberle to waive???

Old
01-20-2010, 11:34 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
I agree but the unknown riches is where the best player will come from. Like the Kessel deal in reverse.
Yes, accepting some risk is where the bigger rewards usually come from.

Bruins are the ones taking the risk with Kessel deal. They could receive equal value, lessor value, or greater value, that is the risk they've taken.

Leafs have much closer to a known return on the Kessel deal.

Leafs trading Kaberle for players who haven't broken through, along with pick(s) will increase the odds the Leafs could end up with the better player.

He was the Leafs' leading scorer in the 196364, 196667 and 196970 seasons, and the team's top goal scorer in 197071 and 197273. Keon was considered one of the fastest skaters in the NHL, and one of the best defensive forwards of his era.[3] He would usually play against the opposing team's top centre, and developed a reputation for neutralizing some of the league's top scorers. In 197071, he scored eight shorthanded goals, setting an NHL record.
ULF_55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Number13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falon View Post
Especially if they use the pick to draft Benjamin Conz.
Brad Ross!

Number13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:36 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
I can't imagine a scenario where we trade Kaberle and end up with the best player in the deal.
That's the main issue with trading Kaberle or any other good player. If it isn't a situation where a team is going to lose him to free agency then improving the team by trading him is extremely difficult to do.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
That's the main issue with trading Kaberle or any other good player. If it isn't a situation where a team is going to lose him to free agency then improving the team by trading him is extremely difficult to do.
The Fleischmann deal is a pretty good example of getting three lesser assets that can cover more organizational holes and eventually grow to be core pieces, which is good in theory, since you can then flip these players for other assets. But at the same time, I wish we could just get fewer pieces back like a Jordan Staal and a first rounder or something like that so we have an anchor up front who is a quality player. But then you are essentially married to that player for the long haul.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
From a hockey fan perspective I'd like to see Wilson fired or Kaberle, Ponikarovsky, Kulemin traded to the Capitals for that package with a couple additional draft picks.

These guys deserve a better coach, and a better situation.
Eh Kulemin? Why on earth trade him, the guy is so close to breaking out with his game it's not funny. I understand your comment about deserving the better coach but you don't want to trade Kulemin and watch him become the player he was supposed to be when we brought him over that he is now showing glimpses of becoming.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:52 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

My thoughts on this thread:

1. I'd like to see the player coming back is an equal, younger player than Kaberle, and not a package of maybe's. I want an elite forward and did someone say Fleishman is 25?

2. Kaberle is usually good for one defensive blunder/game which costs us a goal.

3. There is nothing wrong with having defensive prospects, when we are relying heavily on Beauch, White and Gunnarson.

4. RW does have an agenda. His agenda is to get the most out of everyone. He is shielding TK a bit, and ensuring he isn't put into a position to fail defensively. Why else is Schenn getting 12 minutes of playing time the day after having his best game of the year. Winning isn't important to him right now, he's trying some new things, putting some pressure on some guys and seeing what he has, so that the GM and his team can make accurate descisions. TK at 17:00 minutes is doing him a favour and allowing him to not make the glaring defensive mistakes.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:54 AM
dubplatepressure

If you think we have it bad with Kaberle... just imagine the pickle that Atlanta is in with Kovalchuk.

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:55 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The Fleischmann deal is a pretty good example of getting three lesser assets that can cover more organizational holes and eventually grow to be core pieces, which is good in theory, since you can then flip these players for other assets. But at the same time, I wish we could just get fewer pieces back like a Jordan Staal and a first rounder or something like that so we have an anchor up front who is a quality player. But then you are essentially married to that player for the long haul.
What are the organizational holes? Because I don't see a goaltender or a 1st line center coming back, and I'm not sure Fleishman is a 1st line player. Is Fleishman a good defensive forward? We have Kessel, Kulemin, Stahlberg, Hagman, Blake and a few others as top 6 wingers, and 3 of those guys are really young, so I don't think that is an Organizational hole.

Old
01-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
What are the organizational holes? Because I don't see a goaltender or a 1st line center coming back, and I'm not sure Fleishman is a 1st line player. Is Fleishman a good defensive forward? We have Kessel, Kulemin, Stahlberg, Hagman, Blake and a few others as top 6 wingers, and 3 of those guys are really young, so I don't think that is an Organizational hole.
Fleischmann looks like a top six forward who is scoring at a rate slightly better than Kessel, so he can at the very least keep up with other skill players, something Stalberg, Hagman and Blake haven't been able to do, and Alzner is a good defensive defenseman, which addresses long term defensive issues. The first round pick is whatever you want to do with it.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:01 PM
tzinc

why would the caps give up flash a proven scorer at forward alzner whos a better defender right now than kabs and a #1 for an older mike green who cant play defense as good as mike green

tzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:05 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzinc View Post
why would the caps give up flash a proven scorer at forward alzner whos a better defender right now than kabs and a #1 for an older mike green who cant play defense as good as mike green
Because they lack quality defenders and Kabs has played big minutes before. He opens up the ice better than any defender they have and would fit right into their style of play. Green is a great offensive d-man, but he isn't the passer Kaberle is and Kabs would give them two pairings that are a threat to create offense. In the process they give up a defensive defender who likely won't be a difference maker, a bottom tier top 6 forward (for them) and a late first.

That's not an awful lot from them when they get Kaberle for the next 2 years.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:12 PM
embracedbias

Quote:
These two statements prove that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Have you finally given up pretending to be a Leafs fan? Spend a lot of time in Washington GDT's, no?

embracedbias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:23 PM
gabeliscious

any chance of getting carlson? id much prefer him to alzner.

what about kabs+poni for semin+2nd???

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:24 PM
StanJonathan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Talker29 View Post
As for the trade idea, I don't like it.

Fleischman is not a first-line forward. Alzner is a decent defensive prospect, but we don't need defensemen, and the draft pick will be bottom-5 in the first round.

Foolish trade on our part really.
That's a great trade 3 first rounders for Kaberle shyte you only gave up 2 first rounders for Kessel

StanJonathan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:38 PM
htpwn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number13 View Post
Not that I believe there is any truth to this rumor, with Komisarek and Schenn in the mix, Alzner would be redundant. Swap Alzner for Carlson and we got a deal.
The Caps may not be interested in trading Carlson. Either way you touched on the point I was going to make. Even if Alzner is the only Blue Chipper (or almost Blue Chipper) that Washington wants to give up, we can always swap him with another team similar to the way AA did with the Halladay trade. Acquired Brown and swapped him immediately to Oakland for Wallace.

htpwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:38 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJonathan View Post
That's a great trade 3 first rounders for Kaberle shyte you only gave up 2 first rounders for Kessel
But around here a late 1st might as well be a second, but an early 2nd might as well be a 1st.

Old
01-20-2010, 12:47 PM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by embracedbias View Post
These two statements prove that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Have you finally given up pretending to be a Leafs fan? Spend a lot of time in Washington GDT's, no?
I thought it was his grammar that gave it away...

dubplatepressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:56 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

http://www.spectorshockey.net/index....umors&Itemid=4

Quote:
Dreger believes the Buffalo Sabres are interested in finding a defenseman who can help their power-play but doesn't believe Souray would accept a trade back east.
I read the Sabres were a team Kaberle would accept a trade to last year. His small contract would also be palatable to the Sabres situation.

Old
01-20-2010, 12:58 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
http://www.spectorshockey.net/index....umors&Itemid=4

I read the Sabres were a team Kaberle would accept a trade to last year. His small contract would also be palatable to the Sabres situation.
I didn't think anyone wanted to go to Buffalo?

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:03 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
Terrell Owens?

Old
01-20-2010, 01:07 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
I'm guessing the location might be the drawing factor for Tomas.

In the east, almost in Ontario. I don't know his family situation, kids, wife et cetera. I could guess Toronto must hold a place in his heart, otherwise why in the world would one stay there to play for the Leafs?

Old
01-20-2010, 01:08 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
Terrell Owens?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okhiJjuefPw

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Quote:
Holy cow do you have no clue what you're talking about. So much wrong with this post, where does one start??

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:11 PM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
I'm guessing the location might be the drawing factor for Tomas.

In the east, almost in Ontario. I don't know his family situation, kids, wife et cetera. I could guess Toronto must hold a place in his heart, otherwise why in the world would one stay there to play for the Leafs?
It's his team, only one he's known.

It's like asking why anyone would want to cheer for the Leafs? Yet we all do.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:11 PM
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJonathan View Post
Gomez.

Run along child. I've never seen a team give up so much to take on salary.

NikolaiTesla* is offline   Reply With Quote