HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eric Staal named new Canes Captain

Old
01-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Guy

vCash: 500
Eric Staal named new Canes Captain

link

somewhat surprising as a midseason move.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:00 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

01-20-2010, 11:01 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Brind'Amour on his way out?

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:02 AM
AD Skinner

It is surprising, I agree. I figured this would happen in the offseason... seems like everyone has been unofficially aware of this for at least a year or so now... pretty much since Brind'Amour's knee injury two years ago. But why now? Why now, when it seemingly can make so little difference to the season?

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Sounds like another step in not only transitioning to next year, but indicating to Rod Brind'Amour that there is not much left for him here (other than a paycheck) if he decides to come back.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:06 AM
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

Is this the move that says we have thrown in the towel for the season?

AntonFromAppState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Guy

I hope this is the start of several moves. I also hope this will put to rest any ****tastic Staal trade proposals still hovering around HF.

Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Some Twitter posts:

Quote:
ice_chip Rutherford said he talked with Rod Brind'Amour and that Brind'Amourt could have vetoed the decision.
Quote:
ice_chip No decision made on Brind'Amour returning next season. Will be off-season decision, Rutherford said.
Quote:
kausatoday Eric Staal has been named Carolina Hurricanes' captain and Rod Brind'Amour is now alternate. It was time. It was past time.

Old
01-20-2010, 11:21 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

Had to be done. Brindy just simply sucks way too much to be a legitimate captain anymore. It'll be interesting to see how Staal responds now.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:33 AM
dammit100

love this part from JR: " This is part of the rebuilding process for the Hurricanes"

let the firesale begin!

dammit100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Comments from JR: http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=514291

Quote:
In a closed-door meeting with the team before practice at the RecZone this morning, General Manager Jim Rutherford informed the team of the change, which makes Staal the 13th captain in franchise history. Former captain Rod Brind’Amour will assume the role of alternate captain.

Although it was ultimately Rutherford’s idea to make the change mid-season, he said that he gave Brind’Amour the opportunity to reject the move if he so desired.

“I made it very clear to Rod that if this is, in his opinion, not the right time or not the right thing to do, that he had every right to speak up,” said Rutherford. “Once there was some thought put into it and both guys were comfortable with each other, then it was time to move forward.”

As for the timing of the move, Rutherford said that Staal could gain valuable experience as a captain in attempting to deal with the Hurricanes’ current struggles.

“This would be the best time for somebody to understand what it takes to be a captain when you are in as bad of times as we’re in,” said Rutherford. “Different people have different opinions as to if you wait until the end of the season or when this should be done. I really feel very strongly that doing it at this point in time when we’ve started our rebuilding of this team to give it to the guy who’s going to lead this team on for the next several years.”

Rutherford said that he first pitched the idea to Brind’Amour and Staal several months ago, and that the three have had ongoing dialogue ever since. It was the mutual understanding reached between all three that resulted in the change finally taking place.

“The biggest thing for both of them was taking care of each other,” said Rutherford. “That’s why Rod has been such a great leader for his whole career and a great captain for us, and why Eric is the new captain. They talk things through with each other.”

Old
01-20-2010, 11:48 AM
CarolinaHurricanes85

Send a message via AIM to CarolinaHurricanes85
Quote:
It'll be interesting to see how Staal responds now.
It will be more interesting to see how Rod responds, both on the ice and off.

Everyone knew this was coming eventually. I didn't think JR would actually do it while Brindy is still playing.

CarolinaHurricanes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:08 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

It's the right move and choice imo. When Brindy retires, Gleason will get "A" for sure. When Whitney quits, Ruutu will get "A".

But it's some kind of sad day for me because last two season are horrible for Roddy and the way that this happen....

I still love Brind'amour. Always will, no matters of what.

Thanks for everything, Captain.

I just hope Brindy retires as a Cane in the end of the season.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:26 PM
AntonFromAppState
hockeytalkuncensored

Listening to 99.9 and JR has said he will retire a cane and will have his number retired.

AntonFromAppState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:27 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniacFromAppState View Post
Listening to 99.9 and JR has said he will retire a cane and will have his number retired.
The real question is 'WHEN?'

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:35 PM
impeach estaalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAINIAC View Post
The real question is 'WHEN?'
In 2013 after his new two-year contract (with NMC) is up. He'll have a good 10 games to end next season and the fanbase/JR will think that he deserves another chance since he's done so much for this franchise and wins face-offs and stuff.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:37 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaniacFromAppState View Post
Brindy deserves that.

17 forever.

Next retired numbers will be #33 and eventually #26. What about this?

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:38 PM
pld459666

Outsider here so I apologize if I offend anyone, but I think that this was a dick move mid-season.

If he's not in the plans long-term then why not move him?

If the move was going to be made anyway (and I agree that it needed to be made) then what's the harm in letting this season play out and make this move during the off-season.

Brindy did the only thing he could do under the circumstances and that was to agree to the move.

He declines (regardless of his reasoning) and he's looked at as a selfish person looking out only for his own image.

He had to agree to the move. A classy response to a classless gesture.

Again, it was eventual, not arguing that, but they could/SHOULD have gone about it in a different way.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

He's 39 and has another year at $3m plus, so not many takers.

Also listened to JR on the radio show - he said Rod will retire "whether its after this year or next, its up to him."

he also said that both guys wanted to be very sure the other was ready for the move. JR intimated that the timing of handing a young player the C can create a lot of pressure, and that doing it in the middle of a down year seemed like a good time.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:45 PM
GIN ANTONIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Outsider here so I apologize if I offend anyone, but I think that this was a dick move mid-season.

If the move was going to be made anyway (and I agree that it needed to be made) then what's the harm in letting this season play out and make this move during the off-season.

Brindy did the only thing he could do under the circumstances and that was to agree to the move.

He declines (regardless of his reasoning) and he's looked at as a selfish person looking out only for his own image.

Again, it was eventual, not arguing that, but they could/SHOULD have gone about it in a different way.
He's got more clauses in his contract than... well... he's got a lot of clauses that prevent him from being moved. Not to mention no team would take on his salary for this year or next and you have your answer. It's a ****** situation to be in but as JR said, giving Staal the captaincy midway through this trainwreck season will show him what true leadership is. I don't think anyone has lost respect for Brind'amour or anything but it must be tough to lead the troops into a game when you're consistently battling with gritty veteran AWARDO for title of worst player on the ice. It kinda sucks but it needed to be done sooner or later. You can make a strong argument for later, but maybe this is the shakeup the team needs. Not for this year but going forward anyway.

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

A lot depends on whether you believe the 'town meeting, lets make sure we're all onboard with this' spin. It may be what happened, it' may not, or as in most cases its essentially right but some nuances and sidebar topics stay unspoken about.

Old
01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAINIAC View Post
He's got more clauses in his contract than... well... he's got a lot of clauses that prevent him from being moved. Not to mention no team would take on his salary for this year or next and you have your answer. It's a ****** situation to be in but as JR said, giving Staal the captaincy midway through this trainwreck season will show him what true leadership is. I don't think anyone has lost respect for Brind'amour or anything but it must be tough to lead the troops into a game when you're consistently battling with gritty veteran AWARDO for title of worst player on the ice. It kinda sucks but it needed to be done sooner or later. You can make a strong argument for later, but maybe this is the shakeup the team needs. Not for this year but going forward anyway.
Yeah. I'm a Brind'Amour backer and always have been, but this sounds right. I was still hoping, knowing the guy's physical history, that he might still have one last comeback year in him. I would never rule out Brind'Amour, even after the last two years. Of coursem it's a lot tougher for a forward to play at 40 than a dman.

JR talked about Rod by drawing the anaology of how a former governor or general is still thought of by their title, and that he considered Ronnie and Rod in that group.

I'm sure they're putting the best face on it, but there is probably some truth to the goodwill part of the message (even if there is another side thats not getting discussed publicly). Rod may have just finally acknowledged he wasn't going to get it back this year.

Old
01-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
The Red Scare of '14

Old
01-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

Time for an RB appreciation thread.

Old
01-20-2010, 01:16 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

Some reasons on why the change was done now:

1-the team is changing sooner than later. Instead of waiting for the off season to bring in the kids, which was the original plan, they are going to do it this season. Out with the old (and I literally mean old) and in with the new (younger)

2-the kids on their way in, look up to Staal.

3-Everyone knows/knew this is Staal's team. Even the older guys like Whitney. You can tell in their interviews.

4-Staal was always going to have alot more pressure on him when giving the 'C' whether it be now or next year. Giving it to him now could relieve some of that pressure as the season is already shot. Let him have time to adjust to the fact that he just took over the team from a guy he had the utmost respect for.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote