HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We suddenly have 3 guys one timing on knee!

Old
01-22-2010, 12:54 AM
la25ecoupe

vCash: 500
We suddenly have 3 guys one timing on knee!

Cammy, Gionta and Pouliot.

I've never seen that before, and suddenly, we have three this season. Pretty cool imo.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:10 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

What a weird thing to care about. I assume most "one-kneers" are compensating for slightly poor passes. Maybe if players actually got into the right spaces/shooting areas and the team's passing was better, we wouldn't see so many...

Of course, maybe it's just bad balance on the shooters' part, and that's not a good thing either, no matter how many find the back of the net.

It does look kind of cool, I guess. As a thread, though, it's dangerously to deserving a "Cool Story Bro" pic.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:38 AM
Bitterman

Can any of them teach Yappy to shoot like that? Maybe Cammy tried to drop him to one knee in practice to work on his one-timers?

Bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:40 AM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
What a weird thing to care about. I assume most "one-kneers" are compensating for slightly poor passes. Maybe if players actually got into the right spaces/shooting areas and the team's passing was better, we wouldn't see so many...

Of course, maybe it's just bad balance on the shooters' part, and that's not a good thing either, no matter how many find the back of the net.

It does look kind of cool, I guess. As a thread, though, it's dangerously to deserving a "Cool Story Bro" pic.
I thought that it was to add more weight on the shaft of the stick to increase the flex.

Hermamoud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:44 AM
holyhabs87

It's MAD cool.

Clearly we have more OG's than just Pleks.

Last edited by holyhabs87: 01-22-2010 at 02:00 AM.
holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:52 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
I thought that it was to add more weight on the shaft of the stick to increase the flex.
While it does have that effect (to a certain extent), I think you'll find that most sticks cut the proper length for handling the puck while skating won't make better use of the kick point while on one knee compared to an "ideal" shooting position (especially when you factor in the lie of the blade), no matter how much weight is put on the stick. I also find it hard to believe that a player would choose to go on one knee on purpose, unless it was to adjust body position to make better contact with the puck. Again, I assume that would be in response to a pass that had to be one-timed outside of the "ideal" shooting position (i.e. too far in front of/behind the shooter), and/or a shooter who hasn't had the chance to get his body set into "proper" position before the pass gets there (or has to be delivered because of defensive pressure, etc).

Old
01-22-2010, 02:55 AM
SMoneyMonkey

I always thought it was to get the puck to go high. Kind of makes sense, it's usually done up close.

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Pedro McGuire*

I think its to make up for a less than perfect pass. Seems to work great for Cammy giving him a bigger sweet spot for shooting it.

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:13 AM
WestIslander

I never thought of that! Good call...

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Jiggernaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
While it does have that effect (to a certain extent), I think you'll find that most sticks cut the proper length for handling the puck while skating won't make better use of the kick point while on one knee compared to an "ideal" shooting position (especially when you factor in the lie of the blade), no matter how much weight is put on the stick. I also find it hard to believe that a player would choose to go on one knee on purpose, unless it was to adjust body position to make better contact with the puck. Again, I assume that would be in response to a pass that had to be one-timed outside of the "ideal" shooting position (i.e. too far in front of/behind the shooter), and/or a shooter who hasn't had the chance to get his body set into "proper" position before the pass gets there (or has to be delivered because of defensive pressure, etc).
A stick cut to the proper length for ideal stickhandling is shorter and would require the shooter to be lower when shooting the puck if they actually want to get anything on the shot. Lie of the blade doesn't really factor in as each person choses a lie to their preference/skating style/etc.

And if you're talking about kick point, this will depend on if you are using a mid or low kick point. And judging by how low cammy goes when he shoots, I would safely bet that he is using a mid kick point, and thus would want to lean into his shot (put his hand lower on the shaft) as much as possible to make use of this kick point to generate more power (harder shot).

That's why, for example, you never(or very rarely) see a defenceman go low (or down on one knee) when shooting the puck. their sticks are longer for checking purposes in most cases, have a mid kick, and thus require a higher center of gravity for shooting the puck.

If you actually take a good look at cammy's stick, it is shorter than the 'recommended' length, and is more suited for stick handling. You'll notice his knee isn't on the ice when shooting the puck, it's on the follow through. His knee is very low to the ice in a lot of those cases to utilize the flex of the stick, and on the follow through, his knee hits (balance).

But really, a lot of this stick talk really just comes down to preference and what you like/are comfortable with.

I do agree with that he doesn't go as low when the pass is in the sweet spot, and he tends to go a bit lower to square off and compensate. I can attest to this from experience. Even though I use a longer stick, there are many times a season I will 'shoot from my knees' to help compensate for a pass in a less than ideal position.

And going this low has nothing to do with going high or not. That is all on the follow through.

Jiggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:24 AM
Nedved

be alot more cool if we won

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:17 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Dropping to one knee is the best way to get a one timer off. It gives you so much more leverage with your shot and you get it off faster. It's especially good for smaller guys who don't have as much leverage due to being shorter and having a shorter stick.

Look at all the guys who have good slapshots or one timers and most of them will drop to one knee. Gives you lots more flex.

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Spy
resU deretsigeR

I think it's mainly to make sure not to miss the puck. The closer you are to the puck, the less chances you have to miss it.

Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Turboflex*

So what if it's to handle imperfect passes? They happen, quite often. The most important thing about a one-timer attempt is NOT TO MISS, don't whiff it, and get it on net accurately. If you can only get your one-timer off with an absolute perfect pass, and end up pulling a Spacek when it is slightly off then you shouldn't even be trying.

Players who have mastered the knee thing and can one-time it from anywhere and off tricky passes are way better & more useful than some guy who might have a howitzer but can only pull it off on a perfect setup.

Montreal has a really good lineup of snipers now in the top 6 (Andrei doesn't have a huge 1-timer, but we all seen his snapshot), this is why I prefer to have a playmaking centre liek Gomez in middle than a bull who scores his own goals like Lecavalier or Staal.

I would love to see a nice stretch with all 6 guys healthy, a lot of skeptics would be impressed by the top 6 Gainey has assembled.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I'm waiting for someone to execute the split while slapping that puck

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:14 PM
Lucius

Cammy's been doing it since Junior. I got a kick out of that WJC retrospective after that guy got 7 points in one game. They showed the last time it happened and Cammi scored one of his seven points from a knee.

It does seem to spreading now though...

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 06:02 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

Send a message via MSN to benji
It's mostly to make sure to receive the pass as best as possible and not fan on the puck.

benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Theosis
#freegalchenyuk

vCash: 1040
They figure since Cammy has so many goals already, there must be a secret to getting the puck in the back of the net when you're on one knee.

Theosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 07:24 AM
shortcat1

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Cammy, Gionta and Pouliot.

I've never seen that before, and suddenly, we have three this season. Pretty cool imo.
My impression is that this is simply a result of 'putting your whole body into it'.

Cammallerie isn't a heavy man so he gives it more 'oomph' by driving his body into the shot.

The others, well, it may be a bit of imitation but, so what? If it helps at times, why not?

Looks quite dramatic anyway.

All of this easily helps us forget someone with the sniper snap from the circle after a cross-ice pass from Markov... you know that guy who played really well once in a while?

shortcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
hand eye coordination is also much easier as the hand is closer to the puck.

So a quick pass is a lot easier to shoot on a one timer.

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:43 PM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

from personal experience, all my one-timers end up with me being on one knee or very close to it. It helps me aim better and i have a harder shot. actually, I can't aim at all if i am not on one knee, my slapshots become erratic at that point. I"m not even sure the guys consciously do it, pouliot, gio and cammy probably don't even think about it, it's just a natural movement.

Renholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 05:28 PM
92Rahman

i believe i saw this before

it is to give the stick more flex and shoot the puck harder and slighty better aim

its not due to bad passing

92Rahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Rahman View Post
i believe i saw this before

it is to give the stick more flex and shoot the puck harder and slighty better aim

its not due to bad passing
Pardon the double negative, but it is not NOT due to bad passing. It widens the arc at the bottom of your swing (where you expect to contact the puck), making you less likely to whiff on passes that are outside of the "ideal" shooting position (as someone else has said). Not the ONLY reason behind it, but certainly part of the equation sometimes. I've done it a few times, but to the best of my recollection I wasn't exactly square to where the puck was coming from, and most of the time it was probably a bit behind me.

Old
01-23-2010, 05:38 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I'll try something....By doing this, you have the feeling that you won't miss the puck coming to you and ground yourself so you have a better control of it and more of a controlled power.

Just a try....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Hermamoud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tenorman View Post
I think its to make up for a less than perfect pass. Seems to work great for Cammy giving him a bigger sweet spot for shooting it.
But Markov is doing the passing!

Hermamoud is online now   Reply With Quote