HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

I am an Oiler fan!

Old
01-20-2010, 12:12 PM
ekcut

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to ekcut
I am an Oiler fan!

I do declare, I am an Oiler fan. I will admit that to anyone who asks...although i do expect to be then be mocked while they point and laugh...but that's life. For 99% of the population it will all be done in good fun. My buddies from Vancouver will let me have it no doubt, but they know that in 2 years they could be in our spot so it wont be too vicious. My buddies from Toronto will taunt me because at the begining of the season I gave it to them with both barrels....but their barbs will only be half hearted as they know that in 2 weeks they could be us. I don't have buddies in Calgary because even though I do cheer for the Oilers, I do have standards.

I no longer rush home or to the pub after work to make sure I catch the puck drop. In fact, some games I miss completely. I still have the "Live Updater" running during the game so I can catch the goals scored during bathroom breaks while playing "Disney Scene It' with the kids, but game night is no longer "daddy's time" where unless it is bleeding profusly I am not to be disturbed.

No one wants to cheer for a loser. It's human nature! But that doesn't mean I am going to cheer for someone else just so I can be on the winning side.
I remember the the pathetic waste of hockey fan at work who came out of the closet after game 7 in '06 proudly boasting of the dominance of his team...the Carolina Hurricaines!
"Since when? You have not mentioned hockey in the 4 years you've worked here until they won the cup"
Then after proclaiming a LIFE LONG allegiance to the Hurricaines after growing up in Ralliegh, I took great pride in calling him out on being the ultimate bandwagon jumper. For this 'winner' didn't realize that the Hurricanes were only 10 years old and a lifelong love of a hockey team for anyone not still in grade school was imposible. After being unable to name the Captain, the goalie or any player other then ex-Oiler Doug Weight, my co-workers and I took great pleasure turning briefly into the 1% of the population who treat hockey rivalries as more then just good natured ribbing.

But anyways, I am getting sidetracked from the theme of my post.
Even though I may not be the "Oiler car-flag, jersey-wearing on game day, abandon the wife and kids die-hard" right now the Oilers are still my one and only team.
I will forgive them for playing like they are, if they forgive me for missing a game here and there!

I am declaring this here and now, so that in 5 years when the Oilers win the cup and I stagger into work after an all night celebration and greet my co-workers with kissses on the cheek and vow's of "I love you man" that no one can claim that I am hopping on the bandwagon.

ekcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 12:43 PM
40oz

Good post, I gotta say I'm the most PC oilers fan ever. Rarely do I make fun of my canucks, leafs, Habs, or flames friends of relatives. Ill call out BS if they get over confident and Ill defend the team to no end. But its easier to point out my teams flaws and then say "see, I tells it like I see's it" than to make claims about them and try to predict the ever disappointing future.
There's a quiet confidence that should come with being an Oilers fan, let the wanna be's plan the parade routes.
I never wear my jersey or almost any oilers gear away from rexall, I don't feel the need to shove my choice in teams down other peoples throats. And I honestly think that comes from seeing all the bandwagon hoppers during the ol' playoff run. With oilers love at an all time low, I think this might be the perfect time for me to bust out the oil drop gear. Show that being a fan comes from the heart, not the standings.
Posted via Mobile Device

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:00 PM
Teddy Peckman

Send a message via MSN to Teddy Peckman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
I do declare, I am an Oiler fan. I will admit that to anyone who asks...although i do expect to be then be mocked while they point and laugh...but that's life. For 99% of the population it will all be done in good fun. My buddies from Vancouver will let me have it no doubt, but they know that in 2 years they could be in our spot so it wont be too vicious. My buddies from Toronto will taunt me because at the begining of the season I gave it to them with both barrels....but their barbs will only be half hearted as they know that in 2 weeks they could be us. I don't have buddies in Calgary because even though I do cheer for the Oilers, I do have standards.

I no longer rush home or to the pub after work to make sure I catch the puck drop. In fact, some games I miss completely. I still have the "Live Updater" running during the game so I can catch the goals scored during bathroom breaks while playing "Disney Scene It' with the kids, but game night is no longer "daddy's time" where unless it is bleeding profusly I am not to be disturbed.

No one wants to cheer for a loser. It's human nature! But that doesn't mean I am going to cheer for someone else just so I can be on the winning side.
I remember the the pathetic waste of hockey fan at work who came out of the closet after game 7 in '06 proudly boasting of the dominance of his team...the Carolina Hurricaines!
"Since when? You have not mentioned hockey in the 4 years you've worked here until they won the cup"
Then after proclaiming a LIFE LONG allegiance to the Hurricaines after growing up in Ralliegh, I took great pride in calling him out on being the ultimate bandwagon jumper. For this 'winner' didn't realize that the Hurricanes were only 10 years old and a lifelong love of a hockey team for anyone not still in grade school was imposible. After being unable to name the Captain, the goalie or any player other then ex-Oiler Doug Weight, my co-workers and I took great pleasure turning briefly into the 1% of the population who treat hockey rivalries as more then just good natured ribbing.

But anyways, I am getting sidetracked from the theme of my post.
Even though I may not be the "Oiler car-flag, jersey-wearing on game day, abandon the wife and kids die-hard" right now the Oilers are still my one and only team.
I will forgive them for playing like they are, if they forgive me for missing a game here and there!

I am declaring this here and now, so that in 5 years when the Oilers win the cup and I stagger into work after an all night celebration and greet my co-workers with kissses on the cheek and vow's of "I love you man" that no one can claim that I am hopping on the bandwagon.
Michael. Well, well, well, what is this contraption, I do declare?!
Oscar: It's my Blackberry, Michael. I'm trying to get updates on the company.
Michael: Who's Michael? I'm Caleb Crawdad, I do declare!
Ryan: You don't have to keep saying 'I do declare.' Every time you say something, it means you're declaring it.

lol sorry I just thought of that as soon as I seen your opening line.

Teddy Peckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Mr. Norris. I agree completely. Has nothing to do with being a bandwagon jumper but rather a matter of prioritizing things in life.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 01:25 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Nothing has changed for me, if I have to miss a game its because something else that really can't be moved has come up. I still get together with buddies for one game a week, I still try catch one game a week at the bar and the rest I watch at home.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 02:17 PM
Lounge Act*

Quote:
Originally Posted by erixon View Post
lol sorry I just thought of that as soon as I seen your opening line.
I thought only pretty southern belles said "I do declare!" with a white-gloved hand to their heart.

Last edited by Lounge Act*: 01-20-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 02:23 PM
theranfordflop

Here here! Thanks for this. I'll watch every game, I'll support this team through the good and the bad.

If there's one thing I've given up on it's this forum. Just sad.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

The fact that you started you post with "I do declare" makes it an instant winner (unless you are a southern belle"
I agree with the post though. I love the oilers to death but I can't bring myself to waste my free time getting depressed and frustrated watching this team right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 02:24 PM
edmonton_ice

Awesome!!

That's a well written post. I agree with you 100%.

edmonton_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Alex87

This is a great time to be an Oiler fan, at least the best it's been since 2006. We've missed the playoffs every year since, and we will this year again too. What makes it different? We have a very, very good chance at a top 3 pick. That's something to look forward to, and the best thing to happen to this team in a long, long time. If the Oilers can move some junk out at the deadline, that's icing on the cake.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Lounge Act*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekcut View Post
Don't forget the part-timers who were wearing Caps and Pens jerseys this year.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to harp on this, but I just can't picture anyone saying "I do declare!" other than this girl!

Lounge Act* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 05:24 PM
WatchaMaCarcass

Bravo sir, Bravo.

And for the record, southern gents also say 'I do declare'. (The Colonel Saunders type of southern gent of course)

WatchaMaCarcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 05:51 PM
hibbleton

Excellent post.

I have one thing to add: I don't mind watching or cheering for a loser, so long as I see some passion and promise in a loss. Passion and promise are things that this team currently lacks. Truth be told, I'm a lifelong Oilers fan and I honestly can't remember the last game I watched in it's entirety. Watching the Oilers right now just isn't fun and I'm way better off spending my time doing something else that isn't frustrating and futile.

hibbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 05:59 PM
dashingsilverfox*

This is the acceptance phase of the Kubler-Ross grief Cycle.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 05:59 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
Here here! Thanks for this. I'll watch every game, I'll support this team through the good and the bad.

Oh boohoo freakin hoo, man your act is getting old. Anyways a very good post, definitely agree, I will always be a fan of this team no matter the record.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 06:06 PM
Tyrolean

This is the team's most dark hour. Or maybe not? The time when the team was threatening to move was the worst.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:

Couldn't have said it better myself. I find too much negativity on here lately. It's unbelievable along with the Horcoff hatred.

01-20-2010, 06:12 PM
rydlar

Once an Oiler (fan), always an Oiler (fan).

I'll always be an Oilers fan, but I'd like management to make a decision & communicate said decision to the fans so we can set our expectations accordingly.

Never seen an organization this poorly ran where there are no goals / measuring sticks in place. If the goal is rebuild, Tambo must be evaluated on how well he does that. If the goal is make the playoffs, he must be evaluated on that. If the goal is to win the cup (insert *snicker*), he must be evaluated on that.

I just want to know the goal... and then cheer as that goal is met.

rydlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 06:17 PM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself. I find too much negativity on here lately. It's unbelievable along with the Horcoff hatred.
Then don't bother posting Narnia, you flip flop so much I don't know whether your coming or going.

hmminvisiblecola1279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Louis Cypher

I gotta say too that Oilers are my team even when they are crap. This does feels like that episode of South Park. Timmy! or should I say Tambo!

Louis Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:03 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Given up on the forum or too embarrassed to post the "team is improving, why can't you see it" bs.

Your only posts here lately it seems like you're finally resigned to the club being utter garbage.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:45 AM
hfboardsuser

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:53 AM
ThePresent83

Big fan of the OP... this is the kind of attitude fans need to have.

Dont cheer for the oilers to loose... thats just un-Canadian. We're lucky enough to have Taylor Hall's shoulder to cry on when we loose... its a win/win..

When this team is a contender, be it 5-10-15 years from now... ill be happy to say I cheered hard for them during the best and the worst, and i didnt disappear when things got brutal

ThePresent83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Hey everybody, I just joined HFboards. I am a die hard Oilers fan stuck in Toronto and surrounded by Leafs fans. I hate the Leafs with a passion! Despite this difficult 09/10 season, I will always stick by the Oilers. They are my team and they will always be my team. I'm 20 years old and I was only an infant the last time the oilers won a stanley cup so hopefully when our young guys like Gagner, Brule, Eberle, Cogliano, MPS, Lander, Smid, and Taylor Hall/Tyler Seguin blossom, we can finally have a team to be proud of.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:16 PM
HuMz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePresent83 View Post

When this team is a contender, be it 5-10-15 years from now... ill be happy to say I cheered hard for them during the best and the worst, and i didnt disappear when things got brutal
This, when that day does come theres no doubt in my mind it will mean that much more instead of those who simply quit cheering whenever the times got tough.

Its tough to watch these days, and theres been a few games i've missed because of better things to do...but a real fan doesn't cheer for the other team game after game.

HuMz is offline   Reply With Quote