HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

D Jack Dougherty - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2014, 51st, NSH)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-18-2014, 04:00 AM
  #1
Leidi J
Registered User
 
Leidi J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 3,926
vCash: 500
D Jack Dougherty - Portland Winterhawks, WHL (2014, 51st, NSH)



Birthyear: 1996-05-25
Age: 17
Birthplace: Cottage Grove, MN
Position: D
Shoots: R
Height: 188 cm / 6'2"
Weight: 84 kg / 185 lbs

"Dougherty is an intelligent defenseman who tries to blend strong positioning while trying to inflict a physical dimension on his opponent. He isn't the fleetest of foot, but does get where he needs to go. He also makes a strong first pass and has solid offensive instincts." - FC

"Dougherty has made great strides the past couple of seasons — steadily progressing from a defensive defenseman to a confident puck handler and someone with a great ability to read the play. Has the size and skating ability that attracts scouts and has not let his offensive play diminish his defensive game." - HF


Last edited by Leidi J: 06-28-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Leidi J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 07:44 AM
  #2
BrimStone64
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,615
vCash: 500
How does he compare to a 17 year old Trouba?

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 08:07 AM
  #3
Keke
Registered User
 
Keke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 767
vCash: 500
I wanted Wild to pick him with the Jets' 2nd round pick but it was traded to Buffalo in Moulson trade.

Keke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 12:01 PM
  #4
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic
 
Jaykay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
How does he compare to a 17 year old Trouba?
Not as nasty physically.

I really like this kid, I'm not sure if I agree with the scouting reports listed above though. I've never really thought of him as a defensive defenseman, he has no problem making an impact offensively and I'd consider him a very good skater.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 12:06 PM
  #5
sjci
Registered User
 
sjci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 172
My guess is he goes anywhere between 25-40, but more likely in the low 30 range

sjci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 12:37 PM
  #6
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner
 
LastWordArmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,468
vCash: 450
Top Shelf Prospects considers Dougherty to be the 34th best prospect in the draft.

Full Scouting Report: http://lastwordonsports.com/2014/05/...ack-dougherty/

LastWordArmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 09:30 PM
  #7
chrisralph007
HFB Partner
 
chrisralph007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Calgary, Canada
Posts: 2,466
vCash: 500
Excerpt from E-Mac's profile:

From the War Room

Quote:
Eldon MacDonald, THW: A few words on Jack Dougherty:

Mr. Effective – Not the biggest guy in the world, not the best skater in the world, doesn’t have the best skills in the world, Mr. Effective just “gets her done” through hard work and effective use of the tools he has.
Offense – Has the point shot and has an effective outlet pass, even in tough situations. Just “gets her done”. Jack has shown considerable improvement in this area of his game over the past year to the point where is no longer considered just a defensive defenseman.
Defense – Add a bit of a mean streak to sound positioning, the ability to know what to do in a situation, the willingness to be a little physical and you have yourself an effective defenseman, one who “gets her done” in all situations, 5 on 5, PK, PP.
Improvements to make..."

Full article - available here

chrisralph007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2014, 12:03 AM
  #8
Leidi J
Registered User
 
Leidi J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Country: United States
Posts: 3,926
vCash: 500
"A versatile defender, capable of playing in all situations, Dougherty possesses good offensive instincts. With great vision, he makes a good first pass but is also working on improving his point shot to compliment his strong wrister. Attending the University of Wisconsin in the fall, the talented defender also hopes to transition into the role of the power play QB.

A solid skater with good mobility, he gets to where he needs to be on the ice. Dougherty is an intelligent defender, but also has a bit of a physical side to his game.

Versatility and ability in each responsibility are key for this young defender. Still a developing prospect, but the upside is there."

Leidi J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 12:06 AM
  #9
Johnny Hoxville
**** Cancer
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,576
vCash: 2403
I really hope Calgary takes this guy.

Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 01:03 AM
  #10
SmellOfVictory
Registered User
 
SmellOfVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,419
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Hoxville View Post
I really hope Calgary takes this guy.
If McKeown were to drop to Calgary's 2nd, would you rather Dougherty or him?

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 02:43 PM
  #11
Mr Lebowski
Go Flames
 
Mr Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,419
vCash: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
If McKeown were to drop to Calgary's 2nd, would you rather Dougherty or him?
Dougherty

So smart, big hitter and can play shutdown role. Great at blocking passes and shots. He's a great passer as well and just makes little plays where he'll hang on to it for half a second to draw the defender then make the pass. Knows when to jump into the rush. He's a lot like Niklas Krnowall

Mr Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 02:54 PM
  #12
johnnystormcgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
I think "2nd rounders" Dougherty, Petersson and Sanheim all got late in the first round, due to the lack of higher end defensemen. I hope Calgary can get one of these 3 with the 34th pick, but I doubt it.

johnnystormcgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 03:32 PM
  #13
Azir
What's your point?
 
Azir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 4,572
vCash: 500
Who is a good comparable for him?

Azir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 04:29 PM
  #14
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpinheiro4 View Post
Who is a good comparable for him?
Don't like doing comparisons, but closest for me is an American Ristolainen.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 05:42 PM
  #15
Johnny Hoxville
**** Cancer
 
Johnny Hoxville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,576
vCash: 2403
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
If McKeown were to drop to Calgary's 2nd, would you rather Dougherty or him?
That's a tough one. McKeown is a really nice prospect to, and one of the best skating dman in this draft. He uses his stick to break up plays and is very smart with good offensive instincts. JD, isn't quite the same skater, but is more physical and willing to throw the body more. I may lean more towards Dougherty for his physicality, but McKeown is such an awesome skater. I think their size is both pretty comparable. Really I'd be happy with either.

That would make a good poll.


Last edited by Johnny Hoxville: 06-02-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Johnny Hoxville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 08:03 PM
  #16
Azir
What's your point?
 
Azir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 4,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mauro View Post
Don't like doing comparisons, but closest for me is an American Ristolainen.
Why do you not like comparisons? No one is asking will he become like this player, just who do they play like.

Azir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 09:38 PM
  #17
Mr Lebowski
Go Flames
 
Mr Lebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,419
vCash: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpinheiro4 View Post
Who is a good comparable for him?
Niklas Kronwall

Mr Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 09:45 PM
  #18
Goose of Reason
El Zilcho
 
Goose of Reason's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpinheiro4 View Post
Why do you not like comparisons? No one is asking will he become like this player, just who do they play like.
I'm not sure of his reason, but for a lot of people it's just because it's hard to pinpoint somebody in most cases as really everybody plays differently and it can give some false readings into how a player plays. Some people tend to take these comparisons quite literally.

Goose of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 10:09 PM
  #19
Azir
What's your point?
 
Azir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Country: United States
Posts: 4,572
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Zilcho View Post
I'm not sure of his reason, but for a lot of people it's just because it's hard to pinpoint somebody in most cases as really everybody plays differently and it can give some false readings into how a player plays. Some people tend to take these comparisons quite literally.
It helps people like me, who has only seen a few clips of Dougherty.

Azir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 10:10 PM
  #20
Goose of Reason
El Zilcho
 
Goose of Reason's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,885
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpinheiro4 View Post
It helps people like me, who has only seen a few clips of Dougherty.
I like hearing them as well, that's just the usual argument against them.

Goose of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2014, 10:36 PM
  #21
puckfan13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,754
vCash: 500
His skill package *looks* good but there is something a little missing with him IMO. Hockey sense. His mobility is fairly good for his size but his straightaway speed is not great, he can get beat wide and to pucks if a forward gets a step on him. Tries to do too much at times right now and his passes aren't zipped on to the tape, he tries to feather plays through and they're soft sometimes, not zipped up to the forwards. His size and general package is appealing of course. Will give him the benefit of the doubt a bit because he came into the program a year later than everyone but he has to simplify his game big-time - you can tell he came from high school hockey and needs to get rid of a lot of those habits still.

Dougherty is trying to do too much still. He has to focus on making the simple play, in puck moving AND defending, and making the simple play right away and every time. Consistency. There is upside here but there is a lot of development that needs to be done, not completely convinced he has a mind for the game as the pace continues to pick up but he will have time in college to develop. Realizing and embracing his identity as a pro will be crucial going forward.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 07:21 PM
  #22
BrimStone64
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,615
vCash: 500
Like these American type...some really did well. McDonagh, Trouba

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2014, 08:49 AM
  #23
Aaron Vickers
FC Hockey
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,292
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Aaron Vickers Send a message via MSN to Aaron Vickers
Quote:
Dougherty also has the ability – and likes – to step up for the big hit. Although it’s not a glaring hole, Dougherty’s skating isn’t brilliant and that mobility issue may scare teams away come June. His creativity with the puck is another downside and a main reason he only managed five goals and 17 points in 51 games this past year.
We touch on Dougherty a bit more here: http://futureconsiderations.ca/fcs-d...untdown-25-21/

__________________
Order your copy of FC's 2016 NHL Draft Guide
Check out FC's Final Ranking (Top-100)

Bookmark FC's Complete Draft Pick Chart
Aaron Vickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2016, 10:14 AM
  #24
AmericanDream
Puck You
 
AmericanDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: I Return to Serenity
Country: United States
Posts: 11,884
vCash: 500
so very impressed with his play this year. absolutely having a great first season in Portland, seemingly does it all very well and should have been at worst at camp for the US at the WJC.

I think Nashville has a very solid young dman on the way sooner than later.

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.