HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Nick Ritchie vs. Lawson Crouse

Old
02-06-2015, 03:07 AM
HC Bienne
@llopesso19

vCash: 500
Nick Ritchie vs. Lawson Crouse

What have Crouse so special when Nick Ritchie put better numbers last year and was never a conversation for a possible top-3? Isn't 2015 supposed to be "the great draft year" ? Is Crouse in this possible position because Barzal, Zacha, Konecny and Kylington aren't performing at the level that we all expected ?

HC Bienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2015, 03:18 AM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC Bienne View Post
What have Crouse so special when Nick Ritchie put better numbers last year and was never a conversation for a possible top-3? Isn't 2015 supposed to be "the great draft year" ? Is Crouse in this possible position because Barzal, Zacha, Konecny and Kylington aren't performing at the level that we all expected ?
Crouse for what i saw is a great 2 way player (and doesn`t he play a center)? Crouse was compared to Bergeron sometimes - it isn`t just for the offensive numbers you know...

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2015, 03:50 AM
sniper81

Quote:
For 1, Ritchie was drafted out of his third OHL season and Crouse is in his second OHL season, Ritchie was a late birthdate. 2, Ritchie has always been a bit lazy and takes incredibly dumb penalties While Crouse isn't lazy and doesn't take dumb penalties. 3, Crouse is more technically sound at almost everything.

sniper81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2015, 04:05 AM
Falcons93

Not sure what's up with the hype surrounding Crouse. You don't take someone with his offensive abilities (or lack thereof) that high in a deep draft. He's not even in my top ten. I don't care if he's a good two-way player at this stage, I would typically aim to draft a higher impact player in the top five/ten.

Falcons93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2015, 11:45 AM
tony d
RIP Hot Rod

Crouse has become quite over-rated this draft year. he's not a top 10 talent especially in a deep draft.

02-06-2015, 11:51 AM
docbenton

Crouse is a better skater, more skilled, better game without the puck, better possession game, better frame and reach if not as heavy, hits just as hard, at least as good of a shot, plays hard every shift...does that answer your question?

docbenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2015, 11:54 AM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
I feel like some shiny new toy syndrome and the fact that Ritchie wasn't drafted by a Canadian team might skew some results here. Crouse is quite overrated.

Lounge President #2015
DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2015, 12:14 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I feel like some shiny new toy syndrome and the fact that Ritchie wasn't drafted by a Canadian team might skew some results here. Crouse is quite overrated.
I feel that if Ritche wasn't drafted by Anaheim then you wouldn't have said that haha. Why is Crouse overatted?

Old
02-06-2015, 12:23 PM
ZeroPT*
He's comin for us!!

vCash: 50
Crouse but I really dislike the way Ritchie plays so its not hard for me to chose Crouse

ZeroPT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2015, 12:26 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Crouse for what i saw is a great 2 way player (and doesn`t he play a center)? Crouse was compared to Bergeron sometimes - it isn`t just for the offensive numbers you know...
Yeah, but Bergeron also is good for 60-70 points a season... So offensive numbers are kind of a big deal regardless...

Ho Borvat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2015, 01:07 PM
DrJenniferHanson
Cursed By A Gypsy

Ritchie takes Crouse in natural talent, but has had way too many stretches of half-assed play in the OHL for my liking. I think Crouse's edge in *consistent* intensity/non-bonehead penalties closes the gap a bit.

Crouse will hover around Ritchie's production in two years, and Crouse is better defensively. But Ritchie has more untapped potential at the NHL level dependent on increased consistency of his efforts and cutting the bad plays.

Last edited by DrJenniferHanson: 02-06-2015 at 02:42 PM.
DrJenniferHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2015, 01:48 PM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ho Borvat View Post
Yeah, but Bergeron also is good for 60-70 points a season... So offensive numbers are kind of a big deal regardless...
I forgot to include ''only''

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2015, 01:57 PM
Approved Variety

Crouse is better than Ritchie everywhere except the score sheet.

He shouldn't go top 10, but at the same time, I'd be shocked if he dipped past the top 20.

Approved Variety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2015, 02:07 PM
Falcons93

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
I feel that if Ritche wasn't drafted by Anaheim then you wouldn't have said that haha. Why is Crouse overatted?
Because based on everything that we've seen from him at the junior level, he'll be nothing more than a third liner, yet he's projected to go top 10 for some reason. He might be the worst high draft pick in recent memory, comparable to taking Luke Schenn 5th overall. If you can't score at the junior level, it's very unlikely that you're going to be scoring at the NHL level.

Old
02-06-2015, 02:08 PM
Lyons89

I like Ritchie better. Stronger, better shot and plays with more intensity.

Lyons89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2015, 02:13 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcons93 View Post
Because based on everything that we've seen from him at the junior level, he'll be nothing more than a third liner, yet he's projected to go top 10 for some reason. He might be the worst high draft pick in recent memory, comparable to taking Luke Schenn 5th overall. If you can't score at the junior level, it's very unlikely that you're going to be scoring at the NHL level.
You're selling him short, I believe. His floor is probably a good 3rd liner, his ceiling is a solid, complimentary 1st or 2nd liner who can contribute 50-60 points while opening up space for his linemates, setting a physical tone, and being sound defensively. Similar to Lucic (though Crouse projects to be more committed defensively than Lucic).

I personally wouldn't take him in the top 5, given the top-end quality of this draft, but somewhere in the #8-10 spots seems reasonable given his high floor.

86Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2015, 02:30 PM
AngelDuck
Keith MF Richards

I like Ritchie better. He's a real mean one that enjoys the physical part of hockey. The Ducks will simmer his penalties down. I don't see that edge with Crouse at all.

AngelDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2015, 02:36 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Quite incorrect. I was a fan of Ritchie before he got drafted. You'd be just as wrong if I came to the defense of Lindholm, Trouba (cause he went to the Jets), Kerdiles, or John Gibson.

1.) Thought going for Lindholm was a massive reach
2.) Started watching Trouba in 2010, fell in love with his game in 11.
3.4.) Fans of both before they became Ducks draft picks. They both were at the top of my "round 2 wishlists" in their draft years.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2015, 03:00 PM
ZeroPT*
He's comin for us!!

Crouse is rated so high because he isn't like all powerforwards. How many times have we hear the words "He has all the tools but no toolbox" or "He has the skill to be a top player but he is too lazy"

Crouse has the physical side and is smart. Also he's not lazy. That's why he's so highly rated

ZeroPT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2015, 03:49 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Well he's projected a lot higher than a third liner or else he wouldn't be so highly touted.

Old
02-06-2015, 03:59 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

So confused. Do I listen to actual scouts or people on here....

Teeder9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2015, 03:59 PM
lawrence

Quote:
Ritchie is more of a bully type of winger. Ritchie has a deadly wrist shot (hardest in the 2014 draft) He's extremely mean, he's tough, he's big, he's hard to knock off the puck and he is quite skilled.

Crouse on the other hand, is a better skater, smarter player, better 2 way player, he will use his size, scouts love him, because he brings his attributes every single game. there is no off nights for him, he plays hard every night not to mention he also has size himself, better stick handler then Ritchie too, put it this way, Ritchie and Crouse are quite different, they are both big, but they both use it differently. We have a dude on the Canucks forum who has OHL network, watches OHL alot. Compared Crouse to Bo Horvat, but Bo Horvat in a 6'3 body and a winger instead of a center.

Not sure were he will go, I think number 3 is far fetched, but scouts just love this guy. I'm sure whoever drafts him will be extremely happy.

Quote:
So confused. Do I listen to actual scouts or people on here....
the scouts of course. No one here is qualified enough to really give an honest opinion. (as in watching him play multiple times a long with watching the other comparable in his draft multiple times).

lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2015, 04:25 PM
Falcons93

Quote:
Well he's projected a lot higher than a third liner or else he wouldn't be so highly touted.
I'm projecting him as a third liner. Doesn't have the offensive talent to be anything more. That was the whole point of my post - I'm confused why he is so highly touted because he looks like a future third liner to me.

Old
02-06-2015, 04:26 PM
GenLeaf89

Quote:
Not sure what's up with the hype surrounding Crouse. You don't take someone with his offensive abilities (or lack thereof) that high in a deep draft. He's not even in my top ten. I don't care if he's a good two-way player at this stage, I would typically aim to draft a higher impact player in the top five/ten.
Not sure what's up with posters like yourself who don't watch junior hockey or know much about the game at all come in here and bash players that you don't know anything about. How many live games have you seen him play in?

GenLeaf89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-06-2015, 04:27 PM
Falcons93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Habs View Post
You're selling him short, I believe. His floor is probably a good 3rd liner, his ceiling is a solid, complimentary 1st or 2nd liner who can contribute 50-60 points while opening up space for his linemates, setting a physical tone, and being sound defensively. Similar to Lucic (though Crouse projects to be more committed defensively than Lucic).

I personally wouldn't take him in the top 5, given the top-end quality of this draft, but somewhere in the #8-10 spots seems reasonable given his high floor.
50-60 points is a stretch IMO. Anyways, I don't see how some people have him going above Marner or Strome based on your description (which is being quite generous and is best case scenario if everything goes right).