HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

ISS Draft Rankings: Strong playoff showing helps Reinhart regain top spot

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-15-2014, 01:35 AM
  #1
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country:
Posts: 7,397
vCash: 500
ISS Draft Rankings: Strong playoff showing helps Reinhart regain top spot


On the eve of the NHL Draft Lottery, ISS Hockey has released their April ranking of the top 30 prospects for the 2014 NHL Draft. And, as a result of some strong playoff performances by a pair of players, there has been some re-shuffling at the top of the order since the March edition of this list.



Kootenay Ice center Sam Reinhart has moved back into the top slot, a position he had held until the January ISS rankings when he swapped places with Barrie Colts defenseman Aaron Ekblad. Reinhart is the leading scorer in the 2014 WHL playoffs with the Ice looking to advance to the Eastern Conference Championship round.… read more



More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 02:07 AM
  #2
Baby Shinkaruk
Registered User
 
Baby Shinkaruk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sasky
Country: Canada
Posts: 728
vCash: 500
Pretty good list. I like Nylander in the top 5. Hopefully the Canucks can snag Draisaitl. However I still don't get all the love for Perlini. Especially ahead of a guy like Ritchie.

Baby Shinkaruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 02:16 AM
  #3
bsjezz
Registered User
 
bsjezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Australia
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
if nothing else, perlini's faster?

bsjezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 02:25 AM
  #4
Baby Shinkaruk
Registered User
 
Baby Shinkaruk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Sasky
Country: Canada
Posts: 728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsjezz View Post
if nothing else, perlini's faster?
And Ehlers is even faster. Still I will be surprised to not see Ehlers I'm the top 10. Especially if Perlini goes before him.

Baby Shinkaruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 09:44 AM
  #5
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,932
vCash: 500
1 good series and Reinhart is put back in #1 spot?

Hopefully the real scouts in the NHL don't get blinded by the scoresheets.

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 11:15 AM
  #6
caley
Moderator
 
caley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,804
vCash: 500
Weird rankings.

Fleury, Goldobin, Bleackley and Scherbak all dropping despite not playing in about a month.

Also, first time I've seen Hunter Smith as a 1st rounder.

__________________
Dan O'Toole: "So if I have this right, only acceptable goal celebration in NHL is to put hands at your sides and then feel shame."
caley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 11:21 AM
  #7
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow Boat View Post
1 good series and Reinhart is put back in #1 spot?

Hopefully the real scouts in the NHL don't get blinded by the scoresheets.
As opposed to Ekblad failing to lead his team and looking horribly doing so?

__________________
DRAFTBUZZ HOCKEY
Scouting the 2015 NHL Draft and Futures
Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 11:26 AM
  #8
Moskau
Registered User
 
Moskau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Western New York
Posts: 10,157
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mauro View Post
As opposed to Ekblad failing to lead his team and looking horribly doing so?
You're at least persistent in your constant bashing of Ekblad to fit your "sites" terrible rankings.

"An independent hockey scouting service offering a unique, unbiased, and informative view of the game and its future ambassadors."


Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 11:29 AM
  #9
ManByng
Moroz fan
 
ManByng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
Weird rankings.

Fleury, Goldobin, Bleackley and Scherbak all dropping despite not playing in about a month.

Also, first time I've seen Hunter Smith as a 1st rounder.
^ya really ! Smith started the hockey season pretty far down the list !

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 11:40 AM
  #10
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post

You're at least persistent in your constant bashing of Ekblad to fit your "sites" terrible rankings.

"An independent hockey scouting service offering a unique, unbiased, and informative view of the game and its future ambassadors."

Ranking him top 10 every month, and as high as 4th in December is bashing him and makes me biased?

Ekblad had a ridiculous amount of giveaways and misreads in a do or die game (game 6 alone). That's not first pick material and just strengthens my belief that he should be no where near the first overall.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 11:40 AM
  #11
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mauro View Post
As opposed to Ekblad failing to lead his team and looking horribly doing so?
The point was you shouldn't base rankings off a playoff series... so you respond by bringing up another guys playoff?

At least a lot of ISS rankings make sense, unlike your seemingly random list of names with numbers beside them.

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 12:01 PM
  #12
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow Boat View Post
The point was you shouldn't base rankings off a playoff series... so you respond by bringing up another guys playoff?

At least a lot of ISS rankings make sense, unlike your seemingly random list of names with numbers beside them.
So the guy who went off in February for 30 something points and single handedly secured Kootenay's spot in the PO's with something ridiculous like 11/12 team wins in February doesn't deserve that ranking when he continues it with more on the line?

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 12:13 PM
  #13
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mauro View Post
So the guy who went off in February for 30 something points and single handedly secured Kootenay's spot in the PO's with something ridiculous like 11/12 team wins in February doesn't deserve that ranking when he continues it with more on the line?
... You continue to fixate on junior point totals. Again probably explains why you have 3 100 point scorers going 1, 2, and 3.

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 12:22 PM
  #14
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow Boat View Post
... You continue to fixate on junior point totals. Again probably explains why you have 3 100 point scorers going 1, 2, and 3.
Not a good argument. Ekblad scored the same as other top picks and elite defensemen like Pietrangelo and Jones, but I don't view him the same.

Not to take the focus off of ISS, but during the season my rankings are done based off of production and how they are playing month to month. What you brought up is the last ranking, and the top three were on tears.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 12:35 PM
  #15
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mauro View Post
Not a good argument. Ekblad scored the same as other top picks and elite defensemen like Pietrangelo and Jones, but I don't view him the same.

Not to take the focus off of ISS, but during the season my rankings are done based off of production and how they are playing month to month. What you brought up is the last ranking, and the top three were on tears.
So it's all about point totals for your rankings but Ekblads point totals don't matter if you have an irrational hate for the player? No bias at all

Nothing changed in Reinharts game and his ceiling is no different as it was 2 months ago, but his point totals make him the #1 guy on the list. I find it comical.

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 12:53 PM
  #16
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor
 
McTankel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hamburg, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow Boat View Post
So it's all about point totals for your rankings but Ekblads point totals don't matter if you have an irrational hate for the player? No bias at all

Nothing changed in Reinharts game and his ceiling is no different as it was 2 months ago, but his point totals make him the #1 guy on the list. I find it comical.
There usually is a direct correlation between how many points a player scores in junior in there draft year and there success. (PPG in CHL draft year) Tavares/Hall/Kane all destroyed the CHL and all are the best NHLers as well.

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 01:04 PM
  #17
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow Boat View Post
So it's all about point totals for your rankings but Ekblads point totals don't matter if you have an irrational hate for the player? No bias at all

Nothing changed in Reinharts game and his ceiling is no different as it was 2 months ago, but his point totals make him the #1 guy on the list. I find it comical.
His production is what has kept him in the top ten even though I see flaws in his game. The abysmal defensive depth of this draft will most likely keep him as the top defender, but I just can't see him being more valuable in the NHL than a forward with a skillset that impacts the game (it doesn't matter who it is IE reinhart, dal colle, draisaitl, bennett).

There's a difference between a ranking based off of current play and a ranking based off overall projection. IE what has Ryan MacInnis done, really, to deserve a top 30 ranking in season? They are ranking his potential. That's why I have made it more based around general tier of where a player should be ranked and how he is playing at the month's ranking. What's the point of showing you like a guy who is doing absolutely nothing? I think that's a final ranking sort of list where you factor in a whole lot of other facets.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 01:06 PM
  #18
Scarecrow Boat
Registered User
 
Scarecrow Boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank For Reinhart View Post
There usually is a direct correlation between how many points a player scores in junior in there draft year and there success. (PPG in CHL draft year) Tavares/Hall/Kane all destroyed the CHL and all are the best NHLers as well.
K what about late birthday Derick Brassard with 116 points in his draft year. 118 point Sam Gagner. 101 points as an 18 year old and a better pace in his draft year Nail Yakupov. Huberdeau outscored Landeskog by a ton in junior but I'd take Landeskog over Huberdeau every single time.

There are tons of examples of guys who scored in junior that couldn't translate it to pro hockey... it's just not that simple.

Scarecrow Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 01:17 PM
  #19
SmellOfVictory
Registered User
 
SmellOfVictory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 5,041
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow Boat View Post
K what about late birthday Derick Brassard with 116 points in his draft year. 118 point Sam Gagner. 101 points as an 18 year old and a better pace in his draft year Nail Yakupov. Huberdeau outscored Landeskog by a ton in junior but I'd take Landeskog over Huberdeau every single time.

There are tons of examples of guys who scored in junior that couldn't translate it to pro hockey... it's just not that simple.
It's not 100% accurate, but put it this way: a guy who scores a ton in junior is substantially more likely to be an impact player in the NHL than a guy who doesn't. And it becomes even clearer when you add context (quality of teammates, etc. e.g. Gagner feeding off of Kane).

SmellOfVictory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 01:25 PM
  #20
Canuck71
Registered User
 
Canuck71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,215
vCash: 500
If Jones can fall Ekblad can fall. Some games he leaves you wanting more, but he is a solid defenseman that will have success at the next level. It's just a matter if he's worth taking over a potential star forward. Michael Dal Colle is a player I think should be looked at for 1st overall, he's the entire package plus more.

Canuck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 02:18 PM
  #21
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!
 
Flames Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,110
vCash: 500
Happy to be having at the very least a top five pick this year as a Flames Fan.

I've got one friend who is involved in the WHL who doesn't quite think Leon Draisaitl is quite top five. He sees him more along the same level as a Virtanen than a Reinhart. For what its worth and yes, the distinction is quite small all things considered I am aware.

Flames Fanatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 02:23 PM
  #22
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,133
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow Boat View Post
K what about late birthday Derick Brassard with 116 points in his draft year. 118 point Sam Gagner. 101 points as an 18 year old and a better pace in his draft year Nail Yakupov. Huberdeau outscored Landeskog by a ton in junior but I'd take Landeskog over Huberdeau every single time.

There are tons of examples of guys who scored in junior that couldn't translate it to pro hockey... it's just not that simple.
Couldn't translate? Yakupov and Huberdeau have played just two seasons...

Ryan Johansen couldn't translate either... until he did.

GetThePuckOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 02:26 PM
  #23
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,518
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank For Reinhart View Post
There usually is a direct correlation between how many points a player scores in junior in there draft year and there success. (PPG in CHL draft year) Tavares/Hall/Kane all destroyed the CHL and all are the best NHLers as well.
Eh, not really. It's more about a player's skillset than his point totals.

Stamkos is arguably the best sniper in the NHL, but his goal totals in his draft year aren't as good as a lot of guys who he's ended up being much better than.

Matt Duchene had a relatively low point total in his draft year, yet he's become a better NHLer than a lot of guys who put up gaudy 100 point seasons in their draft year.

Why? Because Duchene and Stamkos had skillsets that translated to success at the NHL level. It wasn't because Duchene recorded 79 points and Stamkos scored 58 goals in their draft years.

When you start drafting based on scoring totals rather than analyzing skillsets, you're going to fail more often than not.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 02:27 PM
  #24
luby3131
Registered User
 
luby3131's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Parkland, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
I mean, I like Hunter Smith and everything but....#30? Surprising to say the least

luby3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2014, 02:31 PM
  #25
Flames Fanatic
Man Shifty is Good!
 
Flames Fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by luby3131 View Post
I mean, I like Hunter Smith and everything but....#30? Surprising to say the least
TRUCULENCE!

Size always is an important factor, and historically speaking a lot of larger guys take longer to grow into their frames. So nowadays it seems like some scouts are willing to bypass the waiting time and pray to get him early, because if you manage to nab a 6'7" forward with some offense you are getting a Christmas bonus to say the least.

And yes I realize this is his second year available to be drafted. Point stands for the most part though.

Flames Fanatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.