HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Johnny Gaudreau vs. Nikolaj Ehlers

Old
04-10-2014, 09:09 PM
AintLifeGrand

vCash: 500
Johnny Gaudreau vs. Nikolaj Ehlers

Who would you rather have?
Who is better right now?
Who will be more successful in the bigs?

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 09:27 PM
Tpinheiro4

I would rather have Ehlers.

Gaudreau is better right now. But he is also 2 years older than Ehlers.

Gaudreau has similar potential if everything goes pretty well, but since Johnny is undersized the chance he becomes a better pro player is not amazing.

Tpinheiro4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 09:44 PM
herashak

vCash: 157
Gaudreau is better now, both have similiar upsides ehlers will probably be the better pro but it's close

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 09:48 PM
Tank For Reinhart
HFBoards Sponsor

1.) Ehlers
2.) Gaudreau
3.) Ehlers

Tank For Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 10:10 PM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Interesting. I am honestly not sure which I would take.

04-10-2014, 10:17 PM
EvoLu7ioN

Gaudreau is just as skilled but a lot smaller, and is attempting to break into a league where size matters. Ehlers, easily. If Gaudreau was available in this draft I think he would go somewhere in the 15-25 range, whereas Ehlers should be 5-10.

EvoLu7ioN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 10:26 PM
Sly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank For Reinhart View Post
1.) Ehlers
2.) Gaudreau
3.) Ehlers
Just please replying to any threads that have to do Gaudreau. You compared him to Nathan Gerbe fwhich just shows you really flawed evaluations of players.

Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 10:52 PM
Plastic Joseph
Rookie User

Ehlers is the easy choice for me as his game has far fewer areas of concern.

Ehlers is a world class skater and does not have size concerns.

Plastic Joseph is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 11:08 PM
Aela*
#MeatisMurder

vCash: 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Aela*
Ehlers. I feel like he'll be a better all around player than Gaudreau and his game will translate better to the NHL. Hard to tell with the age difference though.

Aela* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 02:05 AM
ohheyhemsky

Ehlers. Skilled and quick and not 3 feet tall.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 04:46 AM
Sly

4th rounder vs 1st rounder (top 10). Really bad comparison.

Sly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 05:17 AM
Epimetheus

I think Gaudreau will surprise a lot of people when he comes to Calgary.

Epimetheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 06:41 AM
Haatley

vCash: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly View Post
Gaudreau wouldnt be a 4th rounder if people could see into the future.

Haatley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 07:07 AM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
Ehlers has a better all-around game and size. He'll add significant weight the next couple of seasons as well. He came to North America quite skinny.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 07:53 AM
nogger
Former 4th liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly View Post
I guess Hugh Jessiman >>>>> Jamie Benn

nogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 09:58 AM
The Sweetness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post
Gaudreau is just as skilled but a lot smaller, and is attempting to break into a league where size matters. Ehlers, easily. If Gaudreau was available in this draft I think he would go somewhere in the 15-25 range, whereas Ehlers should be 5-10.
Is Ehlers is skilled as Gaudreau? I haven't seem Ehlers at all but I feel Gaudreau has developed into one of the most skilled prospects I've seen in recent years. He obviously has question marks regarding his size but he is elite in so many aspects of the game in regards to his hands, vision, hockey IQ, patience, finishing ability, edge work and agility.

If Ehlers is as skilled as Gaudreau while having excellent skating and more size he sounds like a very rare prospect and lock to be a 1st line forward.

The Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 10:13 AM
NikoEhlers
Quack

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sweetness View Post
Is Ehlers is skilled as Gaudreau? I haven't seem Ehlers at all but I feel Gaudreau has developed into one of the most skilled prospects I've seen in recent years. He obviously has question marks regarding his size but he is elite in so many aspects of the game in regards to his hands, vision, hockey IQ, patience, finishing ability, edge work and agility.

If Ehlers is as skilled as Gaudreau while having excellent skating and more size he sounds like a very rare prospect and lock to be a 1st line forward.
Ehlers isnt afraid of playing Gritty either, he is not one that dissapears in a physical game, plays on the PK, his checking game is fine. Nikolaj is also aware that he needs to some weight, he's at least around 170 (176 stated a few places) lbs right now, I'm quite confident that with Ehlers great will power, that he's gonna put on enough muscles during the next year or two. Ehlers plays his game at top speed and got quite a work rate. I haven't seen Gaudreau, but if he's got the same speed, hands, vision, work rate and finishing as Ehlers hes a great prospect indeed. I dont know his size.

Last edited by NikoEhlers: 04-11-2014 at 10:28 AM.
NikoEhlers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Ehlers easily.

Sergei Shirokov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 11:27 AM
snipetype

Guadreau. Easily a bigger chance to bust. Much better chance to be an elite top 10 player in this league. Johnny Gaudreau is a home run type prospect. Not sure if the flames have hit a home run yet or not. Where as guys like Ehlers come along in spades every draft. Gaudreau is at most a year away from the show. While ehlers (only 2 inches taller) has probably 2 seasons of junior and minor pro at least left.

snipetype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 01:29 PM
herashak

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipetype View Post
Guadreau. Easily a bigger chance to bust. Much better chance to be an elite top 10 player in this league. Johnny Gaudreau is a home run type prospect. Not sure if the flames have hit a home run yet or not. Where as guys like Ehlers come along in spades every draft. Gaudreau is at most a year away from the show. While ehlers (only 2 inches taller) has probably 2 seasons of junior and minor pro at least left.
Settle down with this hype

herashak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 02:46 PM
Hankerchief

Can't wait until a Gaudreau vs Crosby thread is started by a Flames fan.

Hankerchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 03:32 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Guys like Ehlers come in spades?

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 04:53 PM
snipetype

What I mean by saying Prospects like him come along every year. There is always 2-3, 5'10-5'11 guys who put up around 95 points in the chl. While I am still a big fan of Ehlers I just don't recall any prospects who have put up 2 PPG at the college level in the last decade. Everyone knows it's harder to be a point per game player in college than it is in junior. (Simply due to the fact most college players are 19-24 year old men). Furthermore Johnny plays in hockey east, generally considered the most competitive NCAA division.
He tore up the wjc last year where he was easily the best forward on a championship team that included galchenyuk among others.the He had 11 points in 3 NCAA tournament games.
There is obviously reason to be hesitant to say he's going to be a superstar, I have said he could easily bust if he can't handle the rigours of the NHL.
But at the same time, at every level he's played to this point, he's just one of those players teams just can't seem to contain. The 10 games or so I've watched Johnny play I have never been more astounded at a players stick handling ability. So yes. Flames fans have a reason to be very excited about this kid but at the same time he may not be able to compete against the men. We have to wait and see.

snipetype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 05:21 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post
This. You have to respect guys like Gaudreau, etc, but size does matter in the league. There's few guys who actually have long term success. Look at Grimaldi. I've watched him play since he was 7 years old and at every level he's been doubted. These guys continue to prove everyone wrong until they get to the NHL. It does always seem to ultimately be the roadblock. It's why you have to really respect St Louis. Still getting snubbed after everything he's proven.

Petes2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2014, 05:41 PM
Kurdt Kobain
1967-1994

vCash: 120
Quote:
What I mean by saying Prospects like him come along every year. There is always 2-3, 5'10-5'11 guys who put up around 95 points in the chl. While I am still a big fan of Ehlers I just don't recall any prospects who have put up 2 PPG at the college level in the last decade. Everyone knows it's harder to be a point per game player in college than it is in junior. (Simply due to the fact most college players are 19-24 year old men). Furthermore Johnny plays in hockey east, generally considered the most competitive NCAA division.
He tore up the wjc last year where he was easily the best forward on a championship team that included galchenyuk among others.the He had 11 points in 3 NCAA tournament games.
There is obviously reason to be hesitant to say he's going to be a superstar, I have said he could easily bust if he can't handle the rigours of the NHL.
But at the same time, at every level he's played to this point, he's just one of those players teams just can't seem to contain. The 10 games or so I've watched Johnny play I have never been more astounded at a players stick handling ability. So yes. Flames fans have a reason to be very excited about this kid but at the same time he may not be able to compete against the men. We have to wait and see.
How many of them are rookies who have never played on North American ice though? The kid was 17 when he came over, and ended up finishing 11th in the CHL for scoring.