HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Schedule Change

Old
01-20-2010, 03:38 PM
McEwen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
Well I'm sorry but the NHL is a business. So unless the cahnges will either make them more money they likely wouldn't go for it.
Well I am sure there is a way to make up for the lost revenue. Again, not a business student but I am sure there are several ways that this can be worked around.

McEwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by McEwen View Post
Well I am sure there is a way to make up for the lost revenue. Again, not a business student but I am sure there are several ways that this can be worked around.
If there were more ways to make more money don't you think the NHL would be doing them already? Or don't you think they would like to use the current system and these additional ideas to make even more money? The only way I could see is to raise ticket prices to pull in the same amount of money over less games, do you want that?

You are proposing taking out 120 games, in 07/08 avg team revenue was $92 million that's $1.12 million per game. You want to cut 120 games which means $134.4 million in lost revenue. Only the Leafs would make more money than that in a 74 game schedule.

http://www.fromtherink.com/2008/10/3...tory-of-nhl-re

Last edited by Oil Gauge: 01-20-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
All this thread was supppose to do was (and again I say it) suggest something different than what the league has been doing already. To see what others would like to do for a change in the game. If I wanted to bring the business side into it, I would have stated it in the very first post addressing lost revenue. Again, it was an idea to bring up discussion on what others would like to see the NHL do as a schedule change. How many more times do I need to say this to you? I'm no longer going to defend myself to you for simply bringing up a (what was suppose to be) harmless fun topic.
I'm just saying that it wouldn't work, and this is why.

posting something like this is like posting a trade proposal that has no chance of ever happening.

I give you credit for the amount of thought that you seem to have put into this, but I don't see it working.

Old
01-20-2010, 05:40 PM
McEwen

Quote:
I'm just saying that it wouldn't work, and this is why.

posting something like this is like posting a trade proposal that has no chance of ever happening.

I give you credit for the amount of thought that you seem to have put into this, but I don't see it working.
Well, simply add in the other four games then.

Thus allowing training camp to begin for each team Sept 1 and end on Sept 13.
Final rosters will then be made September 20, which will be the last day for pre-season games.
First regular season game will be played Oct 1.
Each team will play every opposing conference team twice. One game at home, and one game at the opposing team. (30 Games)
Each team will play every team in their conference twice. One game at home, and one at the opposing team. (28)
Each team plays their divisional team extra four times (16)
Remaining 8 games are chosen at random.
Still having one complete week off for All Star Weekend (which I still believe is an excellent way to market the league. Even more so after the season in NHL Week)
Final games will be played on March 9.
Playoffs begin March 16
Final possible playoff game to be May 8.

Old
01-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Oil Gauge

Quote:
Well, simply add in the other four games then.

Thus allowing training camp to begin for each team Sept 1 and end on Sept 13.
Final rosters will then be made September 20, which will be the last day for pre-season games.
First regular season game will be played Oct 1.
Each team will play every opposing conference team twice. One game at home, and one game at the opposing team. (30 Games)
Each team will play every team in their conference twice. One game at home, and one at the opposing team. (28)
Each team plays their divisional team extra four times (16)
Remaining 8 games are chosen at random.
Still having one complete week off for All Star Weekend (which I still believe is an excellent way to market the league. Even more so after the season in NHL Week)
Final games will be played on March 9.
Playoffs begin March 16
Final possible playoff game to be May 8.
That seems a lot more reasonable. How long does that make the off season, from SCF to beggining of training camp? And how long is it now?

Old
01-20-2010, 07:40 PM
McEwen

Quote:
That seems a lot more reasonable. How long does that make the off season, from SCF to beggining of training camp? And how long is it now?
That would make the off season a total of 115 days.
It is currently (of this season) 94 days.

Which does sound too long, but the extra three weeks can be a blessing for some teams to get organized. Gives the Stanley Cup final teams more rest, allows for strong summer activity, more time for player conditioning, and in general rejuvenates the players allowing them more time to spend with family and friends.