HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Next year's team

Old
01-20-2010, 02:27 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

vCash: 500
Next year's team

Gone via Free agency

Cullen
Corvo
Walker
A Ward
Yelle
Wallin
Legace

Untouchables

Pitkanen
Eric Staal
Cam Ward
Tim Gleason
Brandon Sutter
Tuomo Ruutu

Other pieces

Jussi
Sammy
Kosto
Alberts
LaRose
Cole
Dwyer

Youngsters that have a chance to make roster

Tlusty
Boychuk
Carson
Bowman
Peters

Possibly Resigned

Whitney

That leaves us with a lot of interesting decisions and I know it will clear up with more trades. We will have a lot of money for next year, not too many open spots and a lot of young guys ready to be moved up or moved to other teams. What do you think we should do? I really think we should go after one huge name this offseason (top pairing or elite winger), then get a solid second liner or second pairing D man (opposite of what ever you do up top), and then let a few younger guys play... I think when we move Corvo and Cullen, we are going to HAVE to get a second pairing D man in return... I also believe we are going to have to move at least one of our multi year contract guys or Brind'Asaur. I also hope they finally realize that Cole and LaRose are 3rd or 4th liners. The contracts that are killing us are Sammy and Brind'Asaur (aside from Cole and LaRose LOL)

I start to put together lines, and it's near impossible to find open holes on the team. What do you think will happen with the lines... The only thing I can figure out right now that I want is the following

Ruutu-Staal-Elite FA or Ruutu-Elite FA- Staal

and

Pitkanen-Gleason
Trade-FA
Carson-Alberts

and

Cam

Let's start figuring out what we might look like next year, even though we really have no idea.. This season is draining and I'm trying to refresh myself with a positive out look on the future... LOL

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

One thing I will say is that I don't know that we are going to have as much money available as everyone thinks. With this season's disaster and the fact that we are starting a rebuild, I fully expect Karmanos to bring the budget down. The only reason it was as high as it was this season was because we fully expected to be a contender (lol).

01-20-2010, 02:39 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Well look at the contracts coming off the books... Even if he cuts $3 mil off them, there is still a lot of money to fill only a few holes... I think we are going to see some trades, an elite signing, a 2nd tier signing, and a lot of youngsters next year... I wouldn't be surprised to see him try to push some multi year players into some of these trades this year too

Old
01-20-2010, 02:47 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
Well look at the contracts coming off the books... Even if he cuts $3 mil off them, there is still a lot of money to fill only a few holes... I think we are going to see some trades, an elite signing, a 2nd tier signing, and a lot of youngsters next year... I wouldn't be surprised to see him try to push some multi year players into some of these trades this year too
A second tier signing and lots of youngsters, yes, but there isn't going to be an elite signing. That's top dollar and a multi-year deal, neither of which they will be interested in with Ward and Staal already on those kinds of deals. They will lose a ton of money this year after having gone close to the cap for over 1/2 the year with declining crowds, and there are quite of number of guys who will be returning with escalating contracts next year - over $6M+.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 02:50 PM
impeach estaalo
fire mullo

vCash: 50
I think we should look into signing a certain defenseman playing in the KHL that we own the rights to.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 02:56 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
the team next year will be too young and unexperienced. We'll need a gritty veteran.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 02:57 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

This is the perfect year to sign a big name to go with Staal for the next 5 years... A decent amount money available, only a few spots available, and a lot of youngsters to plug holes

Old
01-20-2010, 03:01 PM
StormCast

Quote:
This is the perfect year to sign a big name to go with Staal for the next 5 years... A decent amount money available, only a few spots available, and a lot of youngsters to plug holes
They are hoping to draft that guy who can step in right out juniors a la Tavares, Stamkos, etc. and aren't going to sign an elite UFA.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 03:03 PM
dmonk
doughberle

Send a message via ICQ to dmonk
JS doesn't do elite signings. They only way we can get an elite player is via the trade or draft.

dmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 03:05 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Fair enough... Then we can afford a 2nd tier F and D and add in Taylor Hall

Old
01-20-2010, 03:17 PM
WWAD

We're not really going to have that much money to spend next year either.

Untouchables = $26.325 million cap hit.

Other Peices = $10.25 million cap hit.

Youngsters = $4 million at current salary level. Tlusty, Carson and Peters are all RFA too, so we don't even know for sure we will be getting them at these prices.

Brindamour + remainder of Kaberle buyout = $4.3 million.

That's nearly $45 million dollars spent on just 18 roster spots. An educated guess based on this years ticket sales, this years salary base, and previous years losses is that Karmanos is probably going to lose $10 million +/- this year, and is not going to have the stomach to spend on high dollar free agents for next year. Whatever the revenue sharing cap is, you had best believe he will be spending under that next year.

That probably means we have about $5 million to spend on 6 roster spots. Sorry......no big name FA next year.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 03:32 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
As far as I see it, as long as we end up with Hall, the moves I see us making are going after a legit second pairing defensively. Whether that means going after Hamhuis and Mitchell, bringing back Corvo and another defenseman or what.

Here's how I see it playing out:
Taylor Hall (3.2 hit) - Eric Staal (8.25) - Tuomo Ruutu (3.8)
Jiri Tlusty (1.0) - Brandon Sutter (1.225) - Erik Cole (2.9)
Jussi Jokinen (1.7) - Zach Boychuk (1.195) - Sergei Samsonov (2.533)
Tom Kostopoulos (.916) - Nick Dodge (.600) - Chad LaRose (1.7)
Nicolas Blanchard (.550)

Joni Pitkanen (4.0) - Tim Gleason (2.75)
UFA 1 (Hamhuis) (3.5) - UFA 2 (Mitchell) (2.5)
Andrew Alberts (1.05) - Brett Carson (.750)
Brian Rodney (.600)

Cam Ward (6.3)
Justin Peters (.550)

retirement/buyout losses: Brind'amour (3.6), Kaberle (.733)
cap hit: 55.902
actual salary: under 50 million

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarkNC View Post
We're not really going to have that much money to spend next year either.

Untouchables = $26.325 million cap hit.

Other Peices = $10.25 million cap hit.

Youngsters = $4 million at current salary level. Tlusty, Carson and Peters are all RFA too, so we don't even know for sure we will be getting them at these prices.

Brindamour + remainder of Kaberle buyout = $4.3 million.

That's nearly $45 million dollars spent on just 18 roster spots. An educated guess based on this years ticket sales, this years salary base, and previous years losses is that Karmanos is probably going to lose $10 million +/- this year, and is not going to have the stomach to spend on high dollar free agents for next year. Whatever the revenue sharing cap is, you had best believe he will be spending under that next year.

That probably means we have about $5 million to spend on 6 roster spots. Sorry......no big name FA next year.
I think we'll have more money then that with moves that are up coming

Old
01-20-2010, 03:57 PM
UnPLEASED Anton

Cole-Staal-Ruutu
Samsonov-Sutter-Whitney
LaRose-Jokinen-Tlusty
TKO-FA/Brind'Amour-Albany guy

Pitkanen-Gleason
???/???
Alberts/Carson

Ward
Legace

Thats what it looks like with what we are carrying over.

The offense looks weak, the defense looks horrid. If JR screws us by filling Carson/Alberts in the 2nd pair, I'll be upset. I can handle Babchuk in the 4 slot, at least he gives us some back end offense, something next year's team will need(and he isnt that bad defensively).

The forward corps is going to be crowded if we bring Whitney back, and if Rod doesn't retire. I think Whitney is going to be the best option out there as far as a winger.

I see Legace coming back on a deal like he had this year. Is Peters ready to be the backup?

UnPLEASED Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 03:58 PM
UnPLEASED Anton

If Brindy retires, we don't pay him, but it does count against the cap. As DaleCooper said, we will not be pressed against the NHL cap this year, so no worries

UnPLEASED Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 04:12 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

still small and soft up front, unlikely to sign 1 good UFA dman, frankly it looks like another horrid season unless multiyear deals can be shipped out at the deadline. The samsonov, cole and brindy deals are real killers right now. lol Cole actually gets a raise next season, good thing we bid against ourselves.

Worth noting, Carson Rodney Peters and Tlusty are all RFAs and due raises.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Is Tlusty pretty much a lock to be on the roster out of the young forwards?

Old
01-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
#bandwagonwildcup

I would say so. He is a RFA this summer and will definitely be signing a one way deal. He has also clearly been the most NHL ready forward (aside from Sutter obviously) for my money this season.

Gotta Catch Em Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

What is saddening is I just don't see this near 50% turnover JR is talking about... He obviously knows something we don't... I wish the NHL allowed teams to pay parts of salaries when they make trades like MLB... It would make moving guys much easier

Old
01-20-2010, 05:05 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

Quote:
What is saddening is I just don't see this near 50% turnover JR is talking about... He obviously knows something we don't... I wish the NHL allowed teams to pay parts of salaries when they make trades like MLB... It would make moving guys much easier
Here's how I look at that. 50% of the roster from the start of the season isn't that far off.

Whitney - Staal - Cole
Jokinen - Cullen - Ruutu
Samsonov - Brindy - LaRose
Kostop - Yelle - Walker
Conboy, Ryan

Pitkanen - Ward
Corvo - Gleason
Alberts - Wallin
Harrison

Ward
Leighton

will become
Hall/Ruutu - Staal - Seguin/Ruutu
Tlusty - Boychuk - Cole
Jokinen - Sutter - Samsonov
LaRose - Dodge - Kostopoulos
Blanchard, Dwyer

Pitkanen - Gleason
UFA - UFA
Alberts - Carson
Rodney

Ward
Peters

So really 13 new faces in the lineup. Thing is that we've already been introduced to 6 of them (Sutter, Tlusty, Boychuk, Rodney, Carson, Dwyer) over the course of the season so it doesn't seem like all that big of a turnover on our roster. But that is over half the team we started the season with gone now. All that is left is a top line winger (Hall or Seguin), 2 defensemen, a 4th liner, an extra forward and a backup goalie.

Old
01-20-2010, 05:10 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Prepared to be disappointed, guys.

Realistic view of situation, imo...

1)
Quote:
Take Seguin

Jokinen- Staal- Seguin
Ruutu- Sutter- Cole
Samsonov (Boychuk)- Cullen- Tlusty
Kostopoulos- Dwyer- Larose

Gleason- Corvo
Pitkanen- deadline guy/ McBain
Alberts- Carson

Ward
Peters

2)
Quote:
Take Hall

Hall- Staal- Cole
Whitney- Sutter- Ruutu
Samsonov- Jokinen- Tlusty

Gleason- Corvo
Alberts- Carson

Ward
Peters

3)
Quote:
Take Fowler

Whitney- Staal- Cole
Jokinen- Sutter- Ruutu
Samsonov- Cullen- Tlusty

Gleason- Corvo
Pitkanen- Fowler
Alberts- Carson

Ward
Peters

4)
Quote:
No top 3 pick

Whitney- Staal- Cole
Jokinen- Cullen- Ruutu
Samsonov- Sutter- Tlusty

Gleason- Corvo
Alberts- Carson

Ward
Peters

First of all, i think Rutherford will get with #2 Seguin. Sorry, but this team won't finish with worst overall. I will be suprised if Oilers even get more than 50 points. This is the worst team i've ever seen. Our best chance are lottery... but Seguin is our guy, i believe. JR wants rebuild and he already started... yeah, i mean he will try to move Samsonov. I'm just not sure any team will want Sammy boy. Cullen is nice but the way he played this season... any team will overpay in offseason for him... JR believe Sutter is ready #2 imo. Whitney wants to be here and will be... i don't have problem with this, but just want to see Samsonov moved.

The question is D... if you guys expected Volchenkov, Kubina, Morris or Z. Michalek, prepared to be disappointed again. JR will get signed top 4 on deadline for Cullen and Corvo. Imo he will try to get one of Sekera, Barker, Methot, Girardi or Daley. Corvo love to be here but i don't want to see him signed for 3.5-4. He worth 3 mil nothing more. If Corvo won't back, McBain will take this spot no doubt.

I wanted to see this, i believe it's realistic and it's not "too much nhl simulator games"

Whitney- Staal- Seguin
Jokinen- Sutter- Ruutu
Tlusty- Cullen- Cole

Pitkanen- the guy JR gets on deadline
Gleason- Corvo /or McBain
Alberts- Carson

Wardo

Sorry Boychuk, sorry Bowman, sorry Samson. I don't see how they will played regular here next season... Tlusty must be resigned. Cole won't be moved. Whitney will get new contract. Cullen maybe not back and Boychuk will get this spot (guys, this kid is LW).

We will see. I just hoped JR really believed in rebuild and gets maximum - deal Samsonov, bring back Tlusty, get right d on deadline...

Will be interesting another options - the team don't get Fowler, Seguin or Hall.. JR don't ressign Whitney and Cullen... if this happen, JR will try to overpay for Frolov, no doubt.

Frolov- Staal- Cole
Jokinen- Sutter- Ruutu
Tlusty- Boychuk- Samson

Pitkanen- deadline guy
Gleason- Corvo/ or McBain
Alberts- Carson

Ward

any thoughs for this very long comment?

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 05:52 PM
caniac247

There was talk that Colorado might buy out Liles this summer. JR likes this guy and has been in rumors in acquiring him (before Corvo). If Colorado buys him out, I can see JR going after him. He shouldn't cost too much then and can slide right into the top 4.

I'm not too concerned with the offense. Defense has me more worried with only Pitkanen, Gleason and Alberts under contract. We need 2 top 4 defensemen and its gonna be tough getting 1.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
There was talk that Colorado might buy out Liles this summer. JR likes this guy and has been in rumors in acquiring him (before Corvo). If Colorado buys him out, I can see JR going after him. He shouldn't cost too much then and can slide right into the top 4.

I'm not too concerned with the offense. Defense has me more worried with only Pitkanen, Gleason and Alberts under contract. We need 2 top 4 defensemen and its gonna be tough getting 1.
No, no way, no how will a buyout happen. Liles is owed $9 million over the course of the next two years and since he's over 26 the Avs would be on the hook for 2/3 of that amount. No way are they paying a guy $6 million to go play for someone else.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 06:05 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

I could see us trading a prospect/draft pick package for Liles at or after the draft, but that's about the best chance I could see for us to land him. I'd hope it's not Bowman, Murphy, Carson, Dumoulin but even if it was I wouldn't be overly angry at the move. Liles is a legit #2/3 option for almost any team and in some cases a #1. Just so long as it's not this years second or next years first I'd be ok. I see our first this year almost as untouchable as Cam or Staal at this point.

Old
01-20-2010, 06:19 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Don't forget for Ladd. There's a chance Chicago will try to move him. I wll take Andrew here without a doubt. I doubt it gonna happen, but you never know it for this things...

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote