HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next year's team

Old
01-20-2010, 07:25 PM
Boom Boom Anton

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Don't forget for Ladd. There's a chance Chicago will try to move him. I wll take Andrew here without a doubt. I doubt it gonna happen, but you never know it for this things...
I'm not sure. What has he exactly accomplished to date to warrant us wanting him back? He is a career 0.45 ppg player who only broke 40 points once in his career.

I know we all like him because he was drafted by the Canes and is a "power forward"..but I just don't see him adding any offensive punch. We lack scorers and Ladd sure hasn't shown he is that. He is physical and pretty responsible defensively, so I will give him that.

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 07:35 PM
BanginLikeaBiscuit
Dobby

If we grab Hall/Seguin, we won't need to bring in another forward, and we should have a solid lineup. I agree with what caniacho was saying, looks like Seguin is the most realistic pick right now, oilers will most likely have the worst record (and with our luck, win the lottery regardless) and there's always the plymouth connection. Here's my rough guess at what our forwards could look like.

Ruutu-Staal-Seguin
Jokinen-Cullen-Cole
Samsonov-Sutter-Tlusty
Kostopolous-Dwyer-LaRose

Not an ideal lineup as we won't have the means to spend like we did this year as we'll still be recovering from this year's losses. Positions can be switched around, Depending on Seguin playing C/RW, Boychuk being ready to make the jump and his ability to play center, and if Sutter is ready to be a full time #2 center. Also this is assuming we hang on to Cullen and not Whitney, but it very well could be the other way around. JR has options, and as long as we can grab Hall or Seguin we should be able to field a solid lineup and not spend too much. JR knows how important getting one of them is to our franchise, he's come out and said so. I highly doubt he will do anything to ruin our chances at them.

Like others have said, the defense is what concerns me the most. We only have 3 under contract, Pitkanen, Gleason and Alberts, and have a glaring need for 2 top 4 guys. Carson will most likely be signed to a cheap 1-way deal and play with Alberts on the bottom pairing, but the trick part is the top 4 roles. We'll know if Corvo is in JR's plan, if he gets dealt at the deadline I don't think we'll see him back, but if JR thinks he can resign him then my guess is he'll stay with the team. I think this hinges on JR acquiring one of his players he really likes, John-Michael Liles. There was a lot of buzz about us trying to acquire him before he signed his extension, and I remember one report saying if he had hit the FA market we would have done everything in our power to get him to sign. This is prime time for JR to scoop him up, and I'm sure he'll be all over this in the coming weeks. If we do acquire Liles or decide to keep Corvo instead, we still have a top 4 role to fill. You have to think JR would prefer to go the trading route, but if that doesn't work out I suspect he'll gives Seids a serious look. So here's my guess for next year's D:

Pitkanen-Seidenberg
Gleason-Liles/Corvo
Alberts-Carson

For the goaltending, obviously Ward is our starter, but our backup will either be Legace or Peters. If Legace has one more year in him and can give us a solid 15 games or so, we should be able to sign him close if not at league minimum. If not we'll sign Peters to a cheap one way deal, just like Carson.

BanginLikeaBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 07:40 PM
Boom Boom Anton

I hate to say it, but I think our first line will be the same as our first line this year....Ruutu (or Cole), Staal and Whitney. Even if we draft Seguin or Hall, I don't think he'd be inserted directly to the first line from day one. Nor do I think they should be without some evidence of how they could perform.

What I'd like to see is JR sign a FA winger to play on that line, but I don't think it would happen, unfortunately. Here is my prediction:

Ruutu, Staal, Whitney
Hall/Seguin, Sutter, Cole
Larose, Jokinen, Tlusty
TKos, Dwyer, Samsonov

I can't see either of Samsonov or Larose on the 4th line given their contracts and how Mo treats Vets, but there will be injuries and one of the AHL boys will fill the 4th line as Samsonov or Larose move up.

Defense...and this one scares me. I have a feeling that JR is trying to unload Joni. I know it sounds crazy as we only have a couple of viable DMAN..but I just have a feeling he is shopping him.

Gleason, UFA/Trade
Babchuk, Seidenburg
Alberts, Carson

Net: Ward and whoever (don't care as Ward will play nearly every game unless injured and if injured, the Canes are screwed anyhow.)

Old
01-20-2010, 07:46 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

I'm not say Ladd is offensive dynamo.. but you know Rutherford loves his old boys... if he has a chance to take back Ladd, he will do it imo.

The way Seids play this season... this guy can take 3.5-4 on open market without a doubt... i really like dennis but this is too much imo... 3.5-4 is too much for corvo too.

Liles is nice option but he's similar to Corvo... i don't want too almost identical players who will be some kind of #1 here when they're nothing more than #3.

If we talk for dreams, Willie Mitchell is mine.

OrioleWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 07:50 PM
Guerzy
Serenity

vCash: 50
What I wouldn't mind seeing, with a little wishful thinking of course.

Hall - Staal - Kobasew/Frolov
Jokinen - Sutter - Ruutu
Bowman - Boychuk - Tlusty
Kostopoulos - Dodge - LaRose

- Samson will also get a chance. Let him among others battle it out in training camp. A healthy competition for this young team will be good. If Samson makes it and Bowman can use another season in the AHL, shift Tlusty to the LW and insert Samson on th 3rd line RW. (Tlusty - Boychuk - Samson)

Or...

Frolov - Staal - Kobasew
Jokinen - Seguin - Ruutu
Boychuk - Sutter - Tlusty
Kostopoulos - Dodge - LaRose

Gleason - Pitkanen
Hamhuis - Corvo
Carson - Alberts

Ward
Peters

Hopefully Brindy retires. Buyout Samsonov for his final year if possible. Trade Cole, surely there is a team out there who would take a flyer on his services for the remaining year of his deal. There aren't a lot of good, quality wingers on the open market this July, so a team may take Cole if we were to put him on the market. Possibly re-sign Corvo if he will come back at a decent price, if not, look elsewhere to fill the void. Trade Cullen, Whitney (If he will waive), A. Ward, Yelle, Walker, Wallin at the deadline/let them walk at seasons end.

Whatever happens, i'm excited for a youth movement, new faces, a new direction, etc.

Last edited by Guerzy: 01-21-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 07:57 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

yeah, i think kobasew will end up here... but when contract with minny expires and he's ufa (11-12)... i doubt jr will try to trade for him.

dodge is nice kid, but patty dwyer works very hard and i think he deserves to play before this kid.

Old
01-20-2010, 09:56 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpuckhog View Post
Defense...and this one scares me. I have a feeling that JR is trying to unload Joni. I know it sounds crazy as we only have a couple of viable DMAN..but I just have a feeling he is shopping him.
IDK. During the postgame Monday night Forslund mentioned Pitkanen along with the noted 5 as untouchables. In Chips write up, Karmonas mentions 5 to 6 players that they want to build around who they think are world class players. Rutherford has coveted Pitkanen for awhile, I just don't see him shipping him out already.

But what do I know. Guess all the answers will be had in about a month.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 06:50 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
IDK. During the postgame Monday night Forslund mentioned Pitkanen along with the noted 5 as untouchables. In Chips write up, Karmonas mentions 5 to 6 players that they want to build around who they think are world class players. Rutherford has coveted Pitkanen for awhile, I just don't see him shipping him out already.

But what do I know. Guess all the answers will be had in about a month.
I hear what you are saying and you are probably right. I've always thought of the 3 Finns as kind of a package deal for a while..but I've heard some rumblings (which admittedly may be complete BS) and just have a feeling that something is brewing on this.

You are right though...we won't know anything for a while (and even then, we may not know what went on behind the scenes).

Old
01-21-2010, 01:20 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpuckhog View Post
I hear what you are saying and you are probably right. I've always thought of the 3 Finns as kind of a package deal for a while..but I've heard some rumblings (which admittedly may be complete BS) and just have a feeling that something is brewing on this.

You are right though...we won't know anything for a while (and even then, we may not know what went on behind the scenes).
What are you hearing? Only thing I've heard was a few weeks ago from Craig Custance (who really isn't all that reliable) that few teams have acquired about Pitkanen, but told he's unavailable. I'll put my Pitkanen colored glasses on and hope Custance was/is right.

I'm sure JR is accepting offers on him, I just hope he's smart and doesn't give him up for anything more than an arm and a leg. Its going to be real hard finding someone to replace him. I mean whose going to make that sweet pass to Jokinen for timely goals

And I hope JR wasn't lying when he said, if we go to Europe next season, its got be Finland b/c he'll have 3 Finns on the team. I really like the Finns and think I would be more disappointed if any of them were traded over anybody else that is available. They should be part of the future, IMHO.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:21 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Any thoughts for deal like Whitney and Corvo for McArthur and Sekera?

We don't take picks but we take young top 4 defenseman and good young LW scorer who can play anywhere in top 9.

I hate Slugs but i hope we trade Ray and Joe in Buffalo because McArthur and Sekera struggled this season and i believe they're useless there....

Imagine (full rebuild, maybe bring back only Ray, draft Seguin, get rid of Sammy, sign uh-oh Joe for 2 years..)...

McArthur- Staal- Cole
Jokinen- Seguin- Ruutu
Whitney/ Boychuk- Sutter- Tlusty
Kostopoulos- Dwyer- Larose

Gleason- Corvo
Pitkanen- McBain
Sekera- Carson

Ward

seems not a bad team to me .

Old
01-21-2010, 03:33 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Any thoughts for deal like Whitney and Corvo for McArthur and Sekera?

We don't take picks but we take young top 4 defenseman and good young LW scorer who can play anywhere in top 9.

I hate Slugs but i hope we trade Ray and Joe in Buffalo because McArthur and Sekera struggled this season and i believe they're useless there....
The problem is that you just traded 2 quality rentals for a third line winger who can chip in some scoring and acquired another finesse dman who can't shoot. id take Sekera but it would have to be for less than Whitney or Corvo. A second round pick would be worth more than Sekera IMO.

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Guerzy
Serenity

Here are a couple very interesting points from Chip's blog,

Quote:
A few thoughts and observations on (literally) a rainy day in Georgia:

-- The guess here is that there could be one major surprise before the trade deadline. A tough year financially for the team could dictate it.

-- Zac Dalpe could make the jump from Ohio State and college hockey into the Canes' lineup next season. He has made that much progress.

Old
01-21-2010, 03:46 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Wow, Dalpe.... he really dominates in NCAA this year... rebuild is the answer. If this true, maybe he will "fight" for regular spot with Boychuk, Bowman and Samson... this offseason and last few months of the season will be amazing... finally rebuild!

btw. Corvo has no value right now imo.... Sekera and McArthur is very young players.... i just think JR will work on Corvo/ Eaves deal... Buffalo offers this two - you can't say no bro. Don't expect too much honestly...

Old
01-21-2010, 03:46 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
The Dalpe discussion has been going on since the season started in Columbus. I have a cousin who is a OSU hockey season ticket holder. Its pretty clear to everyone there that Dalpe is ready to contibute significantly in the AHL right now. They dont expect to keep him in scarlet and grey next season or even ask him to stay.

Old
01-21-2010, 03:49 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

-- If the Canes are able to draft Taylor Hall, Tyler Seguin or Cam Fowler, the player picked likely will be in the Canes' lineup next season. They are said to be that good.

This is interesting too . Poor Seguin, his favourite #9 is retired .

Old
01-21-2010, 03:50 PM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Wow, Dalpe.... he really dominates in NCAA this year... rebuild is the answer. If this true, maybe he will "fight" for regular spot with Boychuk, Bowman and Samson... this offseason and last few months of the season will be amazing... finally rebuild!

btw. Corvo has no value right now imo.... Sekera and McArthur is very young players.... i just think JR will work on Corvo/ Eaves deal... Buffalo offers this two - you can't say no bro. Don't expect too much honestly...
i dont disagree with the premise of 2 rentals for 2 young misfits.......but MacCarthur/Sekera is a huge drop from Corvo/Eaves from a talent and performance standpoint. I just dont think it is going to be those 2.........and im not sure Buffalo is going to trade 2 assets for 2 rentals

Old
01-21-2010, 04:33 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
That has to mean Joni or Ruutu

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 04:41 PM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
That has to mean Joni or Ruutu
He wrote...

-- The guess here is that there could be one major surprise before the trade deadline. A tough year financially for the team could dictate it.

Reading between the lines...

-- The guess here is that there could be one major surprise before the trade deadline. [Joni Pitkanen] A tough year financially for the team could dictate it.

He gets another bump in his salary next year and then is a free agent. Playing in the high 20's mins/game, which will continue next year, translates into asking for a monster deal (he and his agent were unrealistic in Philly) and a ticket out of town, IMO.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniac247 View Post
What are you hearing? Only thing I've heard was a few weeks ago from Craig Custance (who really isn't all that reliable) that few teams have acquired about Pitkanen, but told he's unavailable. I'll put my Pitkanen colored glasses on and hope Custance was/is right.
I have heard (not through any legit sources so I hesitate to put much faith in it)..that JR was looking to deal him and Ottawa and 1 other team were interested.

Again..could be total BS as it is one of those friend's, cousin's, uncle deal

Last edited by Boom Boom Anton: 01-21-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Old
01-21-2010, 04:48 PM
Guerzy
Serenity

That is a fair guess i'd say (Regarding Pitkanen). A couple weeks back when JR or whoever said teams were asking about Joni, but he was not available. It could be possible those teams have made, or are in negotiations of making a very good deal that for the organization, makes sense. Who knows, a lot could happen between now and the trade deadline.

Depending on the return, our defence would be a joke without Joni. Heading into next season with Gleason, Alberts and likely Carson on the books... JR's got some work to do.

Old
01-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Depending on the return, our defence would be a joke without Joni. Heading into next season with Gleason, Alberts and likely Carson on the books... JR's got some work to do.
I agree...that's one of my biggest concern even with Joni on the books.

Old
01-21-2010, 04:58 PM
OrioleWay
Jailbait

Commodore for Pitkanen, book it.

We need gritty players.

Old
01-21-2010, 05:22 PM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Would Boston part with a #1 and more for Joni?

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 06:15 PM
WWAD

Why is everyone penciling Hall/Seguin in on the first line?!?!

Sure, eventually that makes sense, but putting first line pressure on an 18 or 19 year old kid right off the bat is a recipe for disaster.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Cardiac_Canes

Send a message via MSN to Cardiac_Canes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarkNC View Post
Why is everyone penciling Hall/Seguin in on the first line?!?!

Sure, eventually that makes sense, but putting first line pressure on an 18 or 19 year old kid right off the bat is a recipe for disaster.
Hall and Seguin, Hall especially, are exceptional talents. It makes sense to play them with our most talented players. If things aren't working out they'll simply be moved down to the 2nd line. It's not like they're going to be pressured to produce a huge season in their rookie year.

Cardiac_Canes is offline   Reply With Quote