Closed Thread

Old
04-21-2004, 08:13 PM
WheatKingsFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruzin
I would take Gill over Aki Berg anyday.
good point. too much hyperbole by me i guess.

Old
04-21-2004, 08:25 PM
Dueman1

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs
we'd have to qualify gill at 2 million dollars per season. with the new CBA, guys like gill won't be making that kind of coin. now, you COULD give him 2 million just for next year and then see what happens, but the b's may try to not qualify him and get him back for lower dollars...or...someone else scoops him up...or...they trade him. what are everyone's thoughts on this? as i said in an earlier thread, i think it's just impossible for us to keep any more than 1 of he, mcgillis and odonnell
Dump him. I'll admit his play improved this year but he still is slow, doesn't hit and makes terrible decisions with the puck . I'd dump him, OD ,and keep Mcgillis.

Old
04-22-2004, 09:38 AM
Wgrandall

I think at least one of Gill, OD, McGillis has to go.

All three are big, strong d-men....but they are also very slow and against a small fast team they are toast, and none of them has shown much "toughness" on a consistant basis.

Gill, to me at least, does the least. His reach is his ONLY strength. He has zero offense, doesn't hit, can't fight (although he did give it a shot this year more than most), and he has a hard time in his own zone and usually ends up icing the puck.

McGillis I like, but I think he's lost a step. He used to throw a lot of big hits, but they were few and far between this year. He used to be more offensive minded, but that's tailed off too. He is also very slow these days. He also seems to get burned in his own end a little bit too often.

OD, He does a "decent" job in his own end, but as someone else said...where's the toughness? Where's the clearing out of the crease when Raycroft is under fire? And slow isn't a good enough word to describe his "speed".

And that's not even considering the contracts of these guys....no way do I think these guys derserve what they are getting, and I really would hate to pay for all three of them.

I don't know...if I had a choice I might keep Boynton, Gonchar, possibly Slegr dending on Girard's health, maybe Moran and rebuild from that.

Old
04-22-2004, 11:10 AM
Magnus Fulgur

Moran was playing really well before he was injured.
Slegr should be kept...I doubt Girard would make the team right away.
McGillis...one of our best D men in the playoffs two years running. Keep him.
OD...nope. Replace him with Kutlak
Gill...replace him with Jurcina

Then, we need one tougher D man.

Gonchar Boynton
Jurcina Slegr
McGillis Kutlak
Moran

Old
04-22-2004, 11:19 PM
pblc

No offense to any Gill supporters out there.......but for me personally, the sooner he is gone, the better. Seems like a nice guy........always gives full effort, but just too much of a liability for me. Many people have commented how he has brought his game around this year..........but brought it around to what level?

In my opinion he has brought it up from far below average to o.k., and to me that isn't acceptable for someone who is given so much ice time. No speed, no quickness...........can't carry the puck, or pass it with any authority.......prone to panic moves when pressured. Just too many negatives. He's a big body that doesn't use it effectively...if he played a meaner game, it might raise my opinion of him slightly, but not much. Gill size wise is very comparable to Chara.......but worlds apart from Chara in what he brings to the table.

Gill is just not what this team needs anymore...........he's had his chance....I don't see him getting any better than he is now. I bear him no ill will. Good luck to him where ever he plays............I just hope it isn't for Boston.

Old
04-23-2004, 12:47 AM
trenton1
Paille Good

There are better options already.......Jassen Cullimore (Tampa) is a UFA this summer. He's 6' 5'' and very mobile. He hits with more frequency than Gill as well. He made 1.6 million this year. I'd offer him Gill's money instead and try to grab him. We'd replace most of Hal's size, and really, that's all we'd want to do there. I really like Hal but that's just too much money for him. If he wants to go down to Donato/Moran money to stay home in Boston maybe I'd welcome him back as my 6th/7th--but it's time to spend that money on mobility.

Old
04-23-2004, 12:52 AM
DFENS44

Gill...gone...

thank you, good night.

Old
04-23-2004, 03:18 PM
Wgrandall

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper
Just too many negatives. He's a big body that doesn't use it effectively...if he played a meaner game, it might raise my opinion of him slightly, but not much. Gill size wise is very comparable to Chara.......but worlds apart from Chara in what he brings to the table.
I think that's the biggest part of me for me. You keep hearing every broadcast about "HUGE Hal Gill"...but he DOES NOT use it!

If he was a hitter, or used that body more I would have a much higher view of him. I wouldn't even care if he didn't score a single point during the year IF he at LEAST used the body more.

Chara is a perfect example....he uses what he has to HIS advantage. Gill a lot of the time ends up being burned because of his slow, gawky size.

But it's just not him, sadly, and this will never change.

Old
04-23-2004, 04:50 PM
Pielsman

Belated reply here, but if Gill is moved (as well as OD and McGillis- maybe), then we suddenly have a smallish defensive group.

Jurcina is big, but doesnt play the physical game of the current "Big 3" in Boston, imo.

Small, puck moving d-men are fine, but there is a definate place for big men too- just need a mix of both, imo.

Old
04-23-2004, 05:14 PM
bp13

IMO - If he's looking for #4 or #5 defenseman money, I'd give it to him. Any more than that and I'd cut him loose. We all know he's never played up to his size, but putting that aside he's definitely a serviceable NHL defenseman. Given that he seems to be a team player and very rarely makes terrible miscues, I think he's a keeper if the money is right.

Old
04-23-2004, 06:21 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

I like Gill a lot, and would be sad to see him go... He seems, to me anyway, to be the kind of guy that just seems like a Bruin. I can't see him playing anywhere else. I'd much rather McGillis and O'Donnell (especially the latter, whose playoff play infuriates me) take a hike than Gill. The Bruins need to have stay-at-home guys, and Gill is one of the better in the league. Now if we could keep him, and then get Cullimore, then we're talking. Drop Dan and Sean, keep Gill, get Cullimore... Play Girard and someone like Jurcina, or Jonsson... We'll have a better defense than we did this season... And we had a pretty good defense this season. Pretty good, not to mention a lot cheaper.

Closed Thread