HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Source Believes Kovalchuk a Leaf. (Eklund)

Old
01-22-2010, 09:27 PM
Peace Frog

vCash: 500
As far as the Kabs to Boston BS that Eklund is suggesting, I would like to know how they'd fit Tomas under their cap? Unless we'd also be taking significant salary back as well. The deal would definitely not be as simple as Ek is suggesting.

Peace Frog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:07 PM
Peace Frog

If I remember correctly, IK and Afinogenov are very good friends. I wonder if Burke would consider signing MA, to play RW on Kovalchuk's line?

That might entice IK even more to sign in Toronto, no? You could basically have a circus monkey center that line and they're going to light it up.

Peace Frog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:11 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace Frog View Post
As far as the Kabs to Boston BS that Eklund is suggesting, I would like to know how they'd fit Tomas under their cap? Unless we'd also be taking significant salary back as well. The deal would definitely not be as simple as Ek is suggesting.
The day Ryder gets waived is the day it will happen. Toronto will take Ryder in exchange, if no one else claims him.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:14 PM
TheTruculentTML
In it to win it

What if Boston were to trade our first to Atl for Kovalchuk, then...

Come July 1st Toronto signs Kovalchuk to a lucrative long-term deal.

I don't know about anyone else but if Boston didn't win the cup after making a deal like this I would be jumping for joy.

1. This relocates a potential top 5 pick out of our Division.

2. In the end Boston ends up getting rid of Kessel for this years 2nd and our 1st next year + the rental services of an elite forward (for a presumed failure of a playoff run).

3. In the end the Leafs lose two 1st rounders and a 2nd this year but gain two elite forwards in Kessel and Kovalchuk.

flame away but I'm just trying to be optimistic

TheTruculentTML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruculentTML View Post
Come July 1st Toronto signs Kovalchuk to a lucrative long-term deal.

I don't know about anyone else but if Boston didn't win the cup after making a deal like this I would be jumping for joy.

1. This relocates a potential top 5 pick out of our Division.

2. In the end Boston ends up getting rid of Kessel for this years 2nd and our 1st next year + the rental services of an elite forward (for a presumed failure of a playoff run).

3. In the end the Leafs lose two 1st rounders and a 2nd this year but gain two elite forwards in Kessel and Kovalchuk.

flame away but I'm just trying to be optimistic
I'm not sure "Optimistic" is the right word here.

I may be following your logic wrong but if Kovy hits the free agent market and signs with the Leafs then it really doesn't matter what Boston sends anywhere for anyone.

Mike Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 12:08 AM
TheRealThornton22

Chiarelli has pretty much said Kovy isnt coming to Boston and Toronto's first is staying in Boston

TheRealThornton22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Caesium

I become more ashamed to be a Leaf fan with every passing thread.

Caesium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 01:01 AM
Stephen

If Kovalchuk ever landed here, I'd be too busy celebrating/buying a Kovalchuk jersey than worrying about what Boston does with our first.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 01:05 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

The merger of this thread is confusing. So now the topic is, Atlanta trades Kovi for Toronto's 1st in 2010 to Boston, Boston loses in the playoffs, and Toronto get Kovi, so therefore the Kessel deal was:

Kessel
Kovi

for

1st in 2010,
2nd in 2010,
1st in 2011

Am I following this well?

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:59 AM
sessiroth

reasons why kovalchuk won't come to toronto
1) he doesn't like the spotlight to be on him
2)we can't afford his demand of 10 year 10mill which he's asking ATL for
3) If ATL feels he's not going to re-sign, they will trade him, so him being a UFA is slim to zero
And 4) he's being pampered in ATL(even gets to give his opinion when ATL does a trade) and they really want to re-sign him. Also, do u think burke is the type of guy who would bend over for kovalchuk? He doesn't seem to fit in burkes overall formula, but anything can happen

sessiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 09:01 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Kovalchuk is still only 26 years old.

Thru each players first 8 seasons in the league Kovalchuk was the more productive player. Again Gilmour might have been a better player overall and he might not, alot of that will depend on Kovalchuk finish's his career but do you honestly think Gilmour was as naturally talented of a hockey player as Kovalchuk?

After this season Kovalchuk will have had 3 seasons of 50 goals scored by the age of 26 and 6 seasons of 40+ goals. We can debate this until we are blue in the face but everyone is going to have there differing opinions on something like this and its hard to really measure.
Yes, Gilmour was the more talented player. Again, talent to me is defined as the total package of what one brings to the game. If you want to argue Kovalchuk is the more offensively talented, you may have an argument.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 09:05 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
Best joke I've heard in a while. Even if you imagined Doug Gilmour to be "one of the top 5 players in the league", you'd be hard-pressed to argue that Kovalchuk's not top 5. And, is 127 points in the high-flying late 80's / early 90's worth as much as Kovalchuk's constant 50 goals, near 100 points?

Edit: Also, really, is Hal Gill in any way talented? I'm sure 98% of us would say no, he is not. Can he play defence? Sure he can, and he's a great penalty killer. This does not make him talented.
If what Gilmour did with a 67 point teams is so easy, why can't kovalchuk do it? He is after all, more "talented"?

Just so you know, Gilmour finished 2nd in voting for the Hart trophy that year so I doubt it was our "imaginations". If they counted playoffs he may have won it. The best Kovalchuk has done is 11th in Hart voting (in 2004), tied with Belfour and Sundin, so I doubt we'd be too hard pressed "to argue that Kovalchuk's not top 5".

Atlanta's finishes with Kovalchuk: 54 pts, 74 pts, 78 pts, 90 pts, 97 pts, 76 pts, 76 pts. Made the playoffs once and played 1 round. I suppose next you'll tell me it's all his team's fault and that he never played with Kozlov, Heatley, Hossa, Savard, etc.? Have a look at the 67 point roster Doug walked into.

Speaking of "Best joke I've heard in a while", Kovalchuk's "constant 50 goals, near 100 points"? He's hit 50 twice and broke 90 points twice. Let's not exagerrate here.

Last edited by eyeball11: 01-23-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old
01-23-2010, 09:07 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caesium View Post
He's stated many times how he doesn't want to play in the spotlight, but Toronto fans are delusional and refuse to admit that he really means it.

McCabe said he'd leave the league if a cap was implemented.

Yet here we are.....

Old
01-23-2010, 09:33 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
If Kovalchuk ever landed here, I'd be too busy celebrating/buying a Kovalchuk jersey than worrying about what Boston does with our first.
Correct answer.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 10:00 AM
The Messenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
McCabe said he'd leave the league if a cap was implemented.

Yet here we are.....

Yes and Sundin told us he wanted to retire as a Leaf.

And yet here we are.....

At the end of the day it is all about money, that is why they are called professional athletes.

The Messenger is offline   Reply With Quote