HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ray Whitney & Niclas Wallin NTC's

Old
01-20-2010, 08:05 PM
CaptPantalones

vCash: 500
I think Buffalo goes for Whitney, Cullen or Walker. All 3 fill certain needs

CaptPantalones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Zal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
He also mentioned the list of available:

Whitney, Cullen, Walker, Yelle, Alberts, Wallin, A. Ward, Legace...
Bummer. The guy I'd love to see on the Kings isn't listed.

Zal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 08:09 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zal View Post
Jussi Jokinen?

Sens Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 08:14 PM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens mile View Post
Jussi Jokinen?
Staal

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

I have a feeling the Flames have called Rutherford and stepped up talks involving Ray Whitney.

They desperately need a playmaker for Iginla, and I think Whitney would be perfect.

Jag68Sid87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 08:26 PM
Zal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens mile View Post
Jussi Jokinen?
Gleason.

Old
01-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Hawksfan12*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I have a feeling the Flames have called Rutherford and stepped up talks involving Ray Whitney.

They desperately need a playmaker for Iginla, and I think Whitney would be perfect.
Agree. Maybe thats why they already asked him to waive it. The Flames are on a stumble and the Canes would like to continue to stumble.

Hawksfan12* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 08:35 PM
caniac247

Quote:
Quote:
Gleason.
Yep, he's part of the 5 untouchables.

I'd say there's got to be more on that list of available guys.

Confirmed 5 untouchables: Staal, C.Ward, Ruutu, Gleason and Sutter
John Forslund puts Pitkanen in as the 6th (per postgame on Monday)

I don't think JR is actively shopping Jokinen, but he'll listen to offers and it might take more than what teams are willing to offer to get him.

All others can be had IMO.

caniac247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 08:35 PM
Jamie Benn
NHL Draft Enthusiast

Matt Cullen to the Canucks, Gillis.

Get er done.

Jamie Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:22 PM
danishh

vCash: 50
why on earth did rutherford give wallin an NTC?

danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 09:23 PM
SFKingshomer

Ray Whitney to LA for Alec Martinez and a 2nd in 2010. You can even have the great Ted Purcell....

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Zal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Ray Whitney to LA for Alec Martinez and a 2nd in 2010. You can even have the great Ted Purcell....
I'd rather keep Martinez and the 2nd.

Old
01-20-2010, 10:13 PM
BruinsBtn

I suspect Aaron Ward will get traded. As bad as he has been this year, he was good in Boston the year before. There aren't many guys in the NHL with 3 cup rings and he was a gigantic contributor to the Carolina win. Playoff teams are always looking for more depth and experience at defense because injuries at the back end will break your heart (ask Buffalo fans).

BruinsBtn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:16 PM
wej20

Quote:
I'd rather keep Martinez and the 2nd.
Jeez with the amount of prospects and picks you LA guys have you'd think you'd be a bit less stingy

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:21 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
I'd be surprised if they refused to waive their NTC. They know they'd be going to a team going to the playoffs. Gives them a chance to look good and earn a contract for next year if they still want to play.

thadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:47 PM
Zal

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Jeez with the amount of prospects and picks you LA guys have you'd think you'd be a bit less stingy
Lol, good point, but I just don't see how Whitney is going to help LA.

I'm fairly cynical, though; I'm one of those Kings fans that don't see them as being as good as others do. In fact, I will openly say, at times, they've played twice as good as they really are.

There are some highly overrated players on LA's roster, I'm afraid.

And no, I'm not one of those guys that will justify offering Teubert+3rd for Staal and say it's fair, if you get my meaning.

Old
01-20-2010, 10:48 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thadd View Post
I'd be surprised if they refused to waive their NTC. They know they'd be going to a team going to the playoffs. Gives them a chance to look good and earn a contract for next year if they still want to play.
You'd think so, but ask Leafs fans how that logic works in practice

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 10:50 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisruff View Post
no Corvo? no thank you. Nothing there I want on the Sabres. I'd look to Torres or Tkachuk before I called about Whitney.
That's odd, considering how Whitney is better than both of them.

HockeyH3aven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
I am going to try to give as fair of an evaluation on these players as is possible for me to give. To avoid people wondering about if blank player would be a good fit, here is what I think about the options offered from Carolina.

Niclas Wallin - He's an ideal 5th defenseman. He gives very little offensive contribution, does not move the puck very well, but does have a decent amount of skating speed in a few strides. Lateral agility is a bit of a problem, but he tends to read the play well. The problem from his play with Carolina is that he has always been asked to play in the Top 4 and be a top penalty killer and he does not have the chops to do either. He's as strong as an ox down low, but he does not throw big body checks. He does use his size advantageously by pinning players against the board. That and his ability to grow massive playoff beards has earned him the nickname "The Gorilla", in the Hurricanes room. If he gets you against the boards, there is no escape. He does it pretty cleanly as well. He's strong, a proven playoff performer, and a guy that can keep his zone clean more often than not. He has streaks where he's borderline elite at shutting guys down followed by long periods of ineffectiveness. If you catch him at the right interval he can be either. If you're looking for him to carry twenty minutes, do not apply. He's capable of a strong 15 though and he'll deliver them quietly. Best at even strength and can handle second pairing PK duty.

Ray Whitney - Probably one of the most underrated secondary scorers of all time. He has been advertised as a player with a suspect defensive game, but I think that's unfair. I would say average to slightly below, but nothing glaring there. His main asset is going to be his play with the man advantage and his cognitive ability to read the play. He has excellent vision and is a pass first mentality, but knows when to shoot when the play calls for it. Make no mistake, he's a point per game player in the right situation as he has proven over the past few years. His vision seems to have improved with age and he has not yet dropped off in level of play despite his age. He still has plenty of juice for a deep run. He's an ideal "plug and play" first line winger. He can play with anybody and create offense to an adequate degree. That versatility makes him valuable.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/lead...ts_active.html

He makes the "wtf", all time active points leader list with 840+ for 17th overall behind some HOF bound names. Of all those guys, Whitney has done it the most quietly. Never much fanfare.

Aaron Ward - Done like dinner. If we can convince anybody to take him, we're lucky. Chara extended his career by two years past when it should have logically been over for him. When shot blockers decline, they go quickly. See McKee, Jay. Don't waste your draft picks.

Andrew Alberts - Surprisingly mobile for a player his size, but did not take the logical step forward in his game that Rutherford wanted from him. He still has a problem with stupid penalties, but he's a cheap physical body with a fairly responsible defensive game in a limited role. That has inherent value. He's locked up for a year past this one, so it's a bit shocking to see him included. A nice 6th defender or a 7th for a deep club.

Scott Walker - Good enough for a 3rd line grinder if you lack the grit and heart up front. You're not going to find too many guys that inspire teammates than Walker, who will fight anybody and everybody in front of him despite his small stature and age. He's a leader. He's a former captain, but he's also injury prone and old. I wouldn't count on him for any offense, but if you're looking for a hard work shift it's never a bad idea to send Walks over the boards. He's physical but age has taken its toll on his skating. Tough as absolute nails.

Matt Cullen - Versatility is the first word to come to mind with Cullen. He can play all three positions, is nearly an elite faceoff man, plays the point on the powerplay, and is pretty strong in the shootout. He is a dangler, through and through. He'll make some plays that make your jaw drop, but doesn't do it nearly enough to be considered a dead lock for a 2nd line center for the duration of the season. He runs hotter and colder than any player in recent memory. He'll score 15 points in 8 games and then go scoreless for 8. That inconsistency has always prevented him from taking that next step into being a reliable Top 6 forward, but plants him firmly among the best third liners in hockey. He's defensively responsible. He passes better than he shoots, but he does shoot very well. Offensively, he's almost the total package when he's clicking. Great wheels and one on one moves. Can play either the PK or PP. He's the kind of glue guy you're going to need to win games. He'll either be the big winner or big loser of the deadline trades. It wouldn't surprise me to see him play at a point per game pace in a new environment.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Caniac4ever

vCash: 8074
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
why on earth did rutherford give wallin an NTC?
I'm not positive on this, but I've heard Nicky was considering going back to Sweden. JR wanted him to stay. Hence, the NTC to keep him in the NHL.

Caniac4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:15 PM
SeventyOne*

Whitney will be a penguin, me thinks.

SeventyOne* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:37 PM
Ozy_Flame

Me thinks Whitney has grabbed Calgary's attention. Dreger mentioned earlier today Sutter might be working on a deal. My suspicion is something will come to fruition if the Flames lose against the Hawks tomorrow.

The trades winds are blowing, they are.

Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2010, 11:44 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Any of Cullen, Corvo, and Whitney to Buffalo please.

Cullen could move Roy to wing and take over as 2nd line center. Brings some scoring, decent faceoff man, and is a veteran with a Cup. Good qualities.

Corvo has a hell of a shot. Can put up good offensive numbers. Decent defensively.

Whitney's a veteran with a Cup and if he's traded it would remind me a lot of the Guerin to Pittsburgh trade last year. Top 6 winger that is still good offensively and is a leader. He'd be a good addition to a young team looking to make a strong playoff push like the Sabres, or really any team looking to make a playoff push for that matter.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Whitney's a veteran with a Cup and if he's traded it would remind me a lot of the Guerin to Pittsburgh trade last year. Top 6 winger that is still good offensively and is a leader. He'd be a good addition to a young team looking to make a strong playoff push like the Sabres, or really any team looking to make a playoff push for that matter.
I would say the only commonalities there would be that both had to waive NTC in order to be dealt. Ray is a superior player to Guerin at this stage. 77 points last year for Whitney when Guerin, even in his prime, has never scored 70.

Ray Whitney has 255 points in 275 games since turning 34 years old. Bill Guerin was locked in as a 40-45 point guy at the time he was dealt to Pittsburgh.

Ray is going to command a 1st round pick from the team that gets him. I would almost bank on that. How many guys in the league can claim nearly a point per game in their last 300 games with two deep and productive playoff years in that time?

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:31 AM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Any of Cullen, Corvo, and Whitney to Buffalo please.

Cullen could move Roy to wing and take over as 2nd line center. Brings some scoring, decent faceoff man, and is a veteran with a Cup. Good qualities.

Corvo has a hell of a shot. Can put up good offensive numbers. Decent defensively.

I think the Sabres take a good hard run at Cullen. He fits EXACTLY what they need. A center who can win faceoffs, run his own PP unit, and has playoff experience.

It makes too much sense, though. Which is why it won't happen. Darcy Regier is a master of the slight of hand, and this is overly obvious. Another Zubrus-type deal is probably in the works.

There will be a huge bidding war for Whitney. One I think it best to stay out of.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote