HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ray Whitney & Niclas Wallin NTC's

Old
01-21-2010, 01:25 AM
Sniper7

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Sniper7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
I'd like to see Whitney in a Kings uniform. Would be a nice depth guy/leader.
So would Gleason too on the back end.

Sniper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:31 AM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
whitney please

Bgav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:34 AM
bland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper7 View Post
So would Gleason too on the back end.
We already have a better Gleason in Matt Greene.

As a fan of both teams, I'd like to see LA get in on Wallin.

bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:35 AM
CanadianCanuck19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyOne View Post
Whitney will be a penguin, me thinks.
would be a great pick up for the penguins.

i still think buffalo

CanadianCanuck19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:38 AM
CanadianCanuck19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
Any of Cullen, Corvo, and Whitney to Buffalo please.

Cullen could move Roy to wing and take over as 2nd line center. Brings some scoring, decent faceoff man, and is a veteran with a Cup. Good qualities.

Corvo has a hell of a shot. Can put up good offensive numbers. Decent defensively.

Whitney's a veteran with a Cup and if he's traded it would remind me a lot of the Guerin to Pittsburgh trade last year. Top 6 winger that is still good offensively and is a leader. He'd be a good addition to a young team looking to make a strong playoff push like the Sabres, or really any team looking to make a playoff push for that matter.
As I have said, all three of these guys can help multiple teams. Carolina will look for up a coming prospects and maybe a few roster players while building around Staal and Ward. They'll be back sooner then you think.

CanadianCanuck19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:40 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post
El. Oh. El.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 04:55 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Corvo will be traded too but right now he has injury.

I think JR will work for Corvo/Eaves type deal. He will try to get signed top 4 defenseman imo (Sekera is good option, Daley is another great option).

Gleason going nowhere and yes, he's better player than Matt Greene.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 07:13 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Aaron Ward - Done like dinner. If we can convince anybody to take him, we're lucky. Chara extended his career by two years past when it should have logically been over for him. When shot blockers decline, they go quickly. See McKee, Jay. Don't waste your draft picks.
Most Pens fans have been impressed with Mckee, no way is he done like Aaron Ward.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 07:32 AM
vyktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
I think the Sabres take a good hard run at Cullen. He fits EXACTLY what they need. A center who can win faceoffs, run his own PP unit, and has playoff experience.

It makes too much sense, though. Which is why it won't happen. Darcy Regier is a master of the slight of hand, and this is overly obvious. Another Zubrus-type deal is probably in the works.

There will be a huge bidding war for Whitney. One I think it best to stay out of.
or maybe Whitney will say 'I'll only waive my NTC to go to team X, as I feel they have the best shot at the cup.' Hossa took less as a UFA to go to Detroit 2 yrs ago for that very reason. Really it's up to Whitney, do you think he'd be more willing to go to a bubble team like LA or to the defending champs?

vyktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 08:17 AM
WhiteTrashAmerican
WHY DID IT END

Quote:
Originally Posted by bland View Post

As a fan of both teams, I'd like to see LA get in on Wallin.
You are not a true fan of both teams if you think Matt Greene is comparable to Tim Gleason

WhiteTrashAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 08:40 AM
Boyzee

i think whitney will wave it, he doesnt have much value though, he's coming to the end of his career, he could still put up points if he is playing with the right person, he could help a team in contention

Boyzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 08:46 AM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyzee View Post
i think whitney will wave it, he doesnt have much value though, he's coming to the end of his career, he could still put up points if he is playing with the right person, he could help a team in contention
Not trying to nit pick..but helping a team in contention is exactly what his value is (and the major point of this thread)..so not sure why you are saying he doesn't have much value.

Is he coming to the end of his career? Yep.
Is he still productive? Yep.
Can he only put up points with the right player? Nope..he has shown over the past 3 years he can put up points with just about anyone...and on some really offensively challenged teams.
Can he help a team in contention? Yep..but depends on their needs.

Maybe "value" to you means something different?

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
I think the Sabres take a good hard run at Cullen. He fits EXACTLY what they need. A center who can win faceoffs, run his own PP unit, and has playoff experience.

It makes too much sense, though. Which is why it won't happen. Darcy Regier is a master of the slight of hand, and this is overly obvious. Another Zubrus-type deal is probably in the works.

There will be a huge bidding war for Whitney. One I think it best to stay out of.

By slight of hand - do you mean doing nothing? I had the impression that Darcy wants to "win" every trade - so he rarely gets a deal done. I'm just saying that going back to holding onto 3 goalies (Miller, Noronen, Biron) for way too long, and recent deadline deals have been the sale of Campbell a couple of years ago, and getting Dominic Moore last year.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 09:20 AM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyzee View Post
No offense - but what does Whitney's age or stage of career have to do with his value as a rental? Do you think that he's been playing great until he's 37.5 years old, but he's going to hit the wall in a month and have his game fall way off?

Whoever is getting Whitney isn't worried about his game 6 months from now. They'll be looking for an upgrade RIGHT NOW, and Whitney's a quality player that would be useful for most play-off contenders.

Also- while Whitney's much more productive point wise that a guy like Guerin (or Tkachuk/Torres as was mentioned above), his plays a very different game.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 03:49 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
By slight of hand - do you mean doing nothing? I had the impression that Darcy wants to "win" every trade - so he rarely gets a deal done. I'm just saying that going back to holding onto 3 goalies (Miller, Noronen, Biron) for way too long, and recent deadline deals have been the sale of Campbell a couple of years ago, and getting Dominic Moore last year.
The slight of hand refers to the fact that every single trade deadline, eight million rumors are thrown around about what Darcy Regier and the Sabres are going to do, what players and teams they're targeting, etc.

And they're 99.9999% of the time completely wrong.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 04:04 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
The slight of hand refers to the fact that every single trade deadline, eight million rumors are thrown around about what Darcy Regier and the Sabres are going to do, what players and teams they're targeting, etc.

And they're 99.9999% of the time completely wrong.
So, just like any other team with a large fanbase that likes to make things up as message board fodder?

'Rumors' as you see them on HF boards don't usually have a real source.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Reign Nateo

Lot's of options for the Canes to turn-over their roster. I'm sure everyone not named Staal, Cam, or Joni is available. (outside of prospects for obvious reasons)

But they have a lot of chips that GMs will covet for different reasons. Veteran scoring winger, all-around vet C, and some depth/grit on D is exactly the type of intangibles needed this time of year.

Whitney makes a lot of sense for Calgary and Cullen in Vancouver, but I'm sure there will be a plethora of teams interested.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 05:25 PM
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
So, just like any other team with a large fanbase that likes to make things up as message board fodder?

'Rumors' as you see them on HF boards don't usually have a real source.
I'm referring to the Hot Stove, individual stuff from Dreger and McKenzie and Lebrun, Garrioch, etc.

I thought that was rather obvious.

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

vCash: 50
What would it take to get Whitney AND Cullen to the Flames? Obviously we don't have a first round pick, or a second for that matter. Only prospects that I think are untouchable are Backlund and Irving. Probably willing to move a somewhat decent roster player. Sarich and Boyd are two roster players probably available.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 05:40 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Lot's of options for the Canes to turn-over their roster. I'm sure everyone not named Staal, Cam, or Joni is available. (outside of prospects for obvious reasons)

But they have a lot of chips that GMs will covet for different reasons. Veteran scoring winger, all-around vet C, and some depth/grit on D is exactly the type of intangibles needed this time of year.

Whitney makes a lot of sense for Calgary and Cullen in Vancouver, but I'm sure there will be a plethora of teams interested.
Gleason is not available. Ruutu is not available. So is our core player - Staal, Cam and Sutter.

Interesting info - some people thinks Joni Pitkanen will be traded because:

Quote:
-- The guess here is that there could be one major surprise before the trade deadline. A tough year financially for the team could dictate it.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote