HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reports from yesterdays game

Old
09-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Dagoon44

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Reports from yesterdays game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af9tIo-QUw8
Steven Delisle Vs. Randy McNaught both guys landed and Delisle ended up blowing out his shoulder and done for the game and maybe the tourny.

The Following report is from a friend of mine that covers the tourny for another website.
Quote:
NYR-CLB
Delisle-McNaught - pretty good scrap between two pretty big guys. Looked Like Delisle had the early advantage landing some nice facial shots. McNaught withstood the early shots and landed some of his own towards the end. Then appeared as if Delisle blew a shoulder somewhere at the end of the fight and went down. Hard to tell as the referee floated into the frame and kind of obscured the actual problem. McNaught looked like he held up from punching as it was clear Delisle was hurt. Trainer tended to Delisle in the box, and I don't think he returned to action.

Shortly after that scrap, Neuber hit the ice, and as the play went down ice, he turned right around and challenged McIlrath who clearly declined. I think I heard the NYR bench yell, "No!". So, I'm thinking they clearly did not want him fighting Neuber. Very disappointing.

First shift McNaught came back on the ice after his fight Neuber challenged him prior to a faceoff, and again McNaught clearly declined. I don't blame him for that one. It was his first shift after an earlier scrap which saw him take some decent shots. McIlrath should have answered the call, but he did not. As predicted, being the high pick, i'm sure he was under orders.
I like the fact the Rangers are telling the kid to play and not fight
McIlrath has plenty of time to drop the gloves. I liked what I heard about the 3rd and early on today

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I'd much rather McIlrath spend every possible minute on the ice, getting used to the pace. He can fight guys during the regular season with his WHL club.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

We have a thread on the tournament already.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Jeds2StepOpus

Well, Dylan McIlrath is 18 years old (just turned 18 in April).

Neuber turned 21 years old in March and has much more experience under his belt, right now.,

Smart for the Rangers coaches to keep Dylan away from that and keep him on the ice, to play the game. Smart of Dylan to follow his coaches instructions and decline.

He has plenty of time to drop the gloves. Right now is not the time.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 07:53 PM
hlundqvist30*

What exactly is dissapointing about McIlrath turning down a fight offer? We don't need our 2nd best defensive prospect getting hurt in a pre-season prospect tournament because of a fight.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
What exactly is dissapointing about McIlrath turning down a fight offer? We don't need our 2nd best defensive prospect getting hurt in a pre-season prospect tournament because of a fight.
Precisely. I don't even want him fighting in juniors, unless he really has to.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 08:43 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I think whomever wrote that summary is confusing McNaught & McIlrath in their write-up... So both of those players declined fights with this individual? Sounds like they're interchanging the names... And as others have already said above, there's no sense in fighting for the sake of fighting in this tournament when these players are about to start their seasons with their actual teams.... Now had there been a cheap-shot or a dirty hit to cause a fight, that's a different story....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I think whomever wrote that summary is confusing McNaught & McIlrath in their write-up... So both of those players declined fights with this individual? Sounds like they're interchanging the names... And as others have already said above, there's no sense in fighting for the sake of fighting in this tournament when these players are about to start their seasons with their actual teams.... Now had there been a cheap-shot or a dirty hit to cause a fight, that's a different story....
I think we all agree that not fighting a non skilled 21 yr old goon was a smart move. He was not confusing them they both turned him down.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 09:20 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Ah okay....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
Precisely. I don't even want him fighting in juniors, unless he really has to.
why? ...that like taking the bullets away from a gunslinger. He's going to fight in jrs, and he will be challenged often just like he did to other guys who were already drafted like Colton teubert. The kids gonna fight, that's what he does. It's part the reason the rangers drafted him

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
why? ...that like taking the bullets away from a gunslinger. He's going to fight in jrs, and he will be challenged often just like he did to other guys who were already drafted like Colton teubert. The kids gonna fight, that's what he does. It's part the reason the rangers drafted him
That's just my preference. It might for selfish reasons , but I don't want to see the kid take on every goon that challenges him. I don't mind him dropping the gloves unless he absolutely has to. And you know for a fact that there's going to be a lot of ass-hats this season trying to take him on. Everyone and their mother is gonna wanna fight this kid because of all the press he's been getting. Having nicknames the undertaker and the truck as well as being called the meanest SOB in the WHL is enough of a target on his back as it is. I certainly hope that management explains this to him thoroughly.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2010, 11:20 PM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

fight, fight, fight...

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 04:28 AM
Black Tank

I have no problem with Mcilrath fighting as part of his regular season in the W but these few games are for him to play against some of the best competition he'll see all year.

I also like the fact that he listens to the bench rather than let emotions take over.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:00 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

this makes me laugh. am i in some weird time warp?

this is dylan mcilrath right ? mcnasty. the undertaker. the most feared figher in juniors. and now all of a sudden, im reading people no longer want him fighting. or not fighting here in this tourny. or not fighting guys who arent "worth it" or not fighting until juniors or not fighting at all. are you freekin kidding me.

um.... this is our premier tough guy. our #1 pick. the toughest dman in the W. and now, when challenged, he wont drop em. i say drop em, pound the life out of anyone who challenges him and send a friggin message....

im here. im nasty. i will hurt you. respect my teammates. fear me.

am i missing something here ?

what would mcilrath be without his fighting skills ? would we have taken him with our first pick if he wouldnt/couldnt pound people ? this is why we took him. the guy is here because of his fists and size as much as/if not more than because of his hockey skill. his hockey skill, while certainly good, isnt developed. his fists are however.

and now, in his first taste of bigtime hockey outside of the "dub", he not gonna fight. all of a sudden, we want him to be um..... brandon gormley?

hes a fighter. thats what he is. hes a fighter first and a dman 2nd and he wont fight ? all of a sudden, hes too good to fight ? too precious. and for the record, not fighting because we dont want him to get hurt fighting is lame. at best.

not asking that he act stupid or selfish or hurt his team but really? he was challenged and he didnt accept ?

is it just me or is this just plain stupid ?

offdacrossbar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Levitate

He's not a fighter first, that's just you being silly.

He's a defenseman first, and it sounds like he had orders from the team to not get into it. Another guy who does basically nothing but fight (McNaught) also got the same orders. Obviously the coaches just didn't want it happening at that time.

And McIlrath's physical game on the ice is much more valuable than his fighting and more the reason he was drafted there than the fact that he can also punch people. I'll take a guy who plays nasty on the ice but never drops the gloves over a guy who drops them all the time and spends so much time in the box he's not useful.

It's not a big deal

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:17 AM
IAMREALITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
We have a thread on the tournament already.
How embarrassing for you...

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:27 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
He's not a fighter first, that's just you being silly.

He's a defenseman first, and it sounds like he had orders from the team to not get into it. Another guy who does basically nothing but fight (McNaught) also got the same orders. Obviously the coaches just didn't want it happening at that time.

And McIlrath's physical game on the ice is much more valuable than his fighting and more the reason he was drafted there than the fact that he can also punch people. I'll take a guy who plays nasty on the ice but never drops the gloves over a guy who drops them all the time and spends so much time in the box he's not useful.

It's not a big deal
that sounds great. hes the toughest guy in the w. not the best dman and not the best hitter. hes the toughest guy who is the best fighter.

he should fight when challenged.

what, we didnt expect that would happen ?

again, no one is saying he should act like an idiot but when challenged, he can either accept or decline.

he chose to skate away. to me, thats weaksauce.

Old
09-13-2010, 09:36 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
[url]

I like the fact the Rangers are telling the kid to play and not fight
McIlrath has plenty of time to drop the gloves. I liked what I heard about the 3rd and early on today
Yea, thankfully. Imagine if the kid breaks his hand, and is out for 2 months.... he need to play, and build hi body in order to progress... not fight every scrapper trying to prove something...

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Colt Seavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
what would mcilrath be without his fighting skills ? would we have taken him with our first pick if he wouldnt/couldnt pound people ? this is why we took him. the guy is here because of his fists and size as much as/if not more than because of his hockey skill. his hockey skill, while certainly good, isnt developed. his fists are however.

is it just me or is this just plain stupid ?
Yes, his fists are perhaps more 'developed' than the rest of his game. And correct me if I'm wrong - but isn't the reason he's there to expose him to the faster game & to develop those important other parts of the game? The more ice-time the kid can get, the better. That's what's gonna help him progress, not fighting some 21 yr old goon to 'send a message' or to show that he's 'a man'. That's why the bench told him: 'No!'.

McIlrath has all year to pummel guys if he so chooses. He very well may have a full career at it as well - but if the team thinks there are untapped, underdeveloped areas of his game & that there's potential for more (& clearly they do), than he's gotta be on the ice - cuz this is the best competition he's gonna see this year.

It's not that hard to understand.

Colt Seavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
that sounds great. hes the toughest guy in the w. not the best dman and not the best hitter. hes the toughest guy who is the best fighter.

again, no one is saying he should act like an idiot but when challenged, he can either accept or decline.

He was drafted as a tough defenseman who will fight. He wasn't drafted early in the first round just to be a goon. He will fight when he must. You really want him fighting every upstart out there? He was drafted as a tough physical defenseman. The Rangers are looking at this guy as a Jeff Beukaboom - not a Dale Purinton. Do you really think a player like Chris Pronger fights any kid who comes his way? Of course not. He picks his spots. He drops them when it benefits the team - or maybe when someone has pushed him way too far

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:55 AM
IAMREALITY

Quote:

I would be far more concerned if he had accepted the challenge despite having the whole bench of his teammates shouting 'No!' at him. Team game pal. What would it say about him if he would've gone ahead under those circumstances? Seems to me it would imply that he is capable of being reckless and making bad decisions that could hurt the team down the road at a time when it counts.

You don't accept an unnecessary challenge when your whole bench of teammates are shouting 'No!' at you. To do otherwise would just seem to be downright stupid.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 09:59 AM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
am i missing something here ?
Yes, you are. We didn't draft McIlrath for him to be a goon. If a 4th line player wants to fight the other team's goon, no big deal. We won't miss him for 5 minutes. But when a player is expected to be a top 4 defender, he can't throw down every time the other team's goon challenges him.

If he's sticking up for a teammate? Fine, have at it. But other than that he should be out there doing his job, which is playing defense. McIlrath will be far more intimidating by being on the ice 20+ minutes a game than he will be by fighting the other team's goon and spending 5 minutes in the box.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:00 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Seavers View Post
Yes, his fists are perhaps more 'developed' than the rest of his game. And correct me if I'm wrong - but isn't the reason he's there to expose him to the faster game & to develop those important other parts of the game? The more ice-time the kid can get, the better. That's what's gonna help him progress, not fighting some 21 yr old goon to 'send a message' or to show that he's 'a man'. That's why the bench told him: 'No!'.

McIlrath has all year to pummel guys if he so chooses. He very well may have a full career at it as well - but if the team thinks there are untapped, underdeveloped areas of his game & that there's potential for more (& clearly they do), than he's gotta be on the ice - cuz this is the best competition he's gonna see this year.

It's not that hard to understand.
again, that sounds great. problem is, its not legit. he got here with his fists not his talent. his talent will get him farther but his fists are what hes got right now.

this is his first taste of bigtime hockey. he comes with a label. whats he to do, run from it ? he needs to send a message loud and clear.

im dylan mcilrath and that carcas on the ice is what will happen to the rest of you who challenge me or take liberties with my teammates. loud and clear.

it may only take 1 scrap. thats all.

you people make it sound like hes gonna fight every period and thus miss so much time. like all hes gonna do is fight and sit in the penalty box. once he fights, he will have fewer "offers". trust me.

come on.

Old
09-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Garfinkel1

Quote:
again, that sounds great. problem is, its not legit. he got here with his fists not his talent. his talent will get him farther but his fists are what hes got right now.

this is his first taste of bigtime hockey. he comes with a label. whats he to do, run from it ? he needs to send a message loud and clear.

im dylan mcilrath and that carcas on the ice is what will happen to the rest of you who challenge me or take liberties with my teammates. loud and clear.

it may only take 1 scrap. thats all.

you people make it sound like hes gonna fight every period and thus miss so much time. like all hes gonna do is fight and sit in the penalty box. once he fights, he will have fewer "offers". trust me.

come on.
And if in that one fight he blows out his shoulder?

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Colt Seavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMREALITY View Post
I would be far more concerned if he had accepted the challenge despite having the whole bench of his teammates shouting 'No!' at him. Team game pal. What would it say about him if he would've gone ahead under those circumstances? Seems to me it would imply that he is capable of being reckless and making bad decisions that could hurt the team down the road at a time when it counts.

You don't accept an unnecessary challenge when your whole bench of teammates are shouting 'No!' at you. To do otherwise would just seem to be downright stupid.
^^^ Also, this.
By all accounts, McIlrath is a good character kid & a team player. An 18 year old kid at this kind of tourney - hoping to impress upper brass, is not going to say: '**** it, I'm fighting!' against the wishes of his coaches / teammates.

Way more red flags on him if he flips off instruction from the bench to fight that goon.

Colt Seavers is offline   Reply With Quote