HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hartford Wolf Pack Off-Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2010, 08:21 AM
azrok22

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
So Baldwin wants to turn the Hartford Wolf Pack into the Connecticut Whalers?

"...the Hartford Wolf Pack will be no more and the new team will be the Connecticut Whalers."

http://howlings2.wordpress.com/2010/07/23/whalers-coming-home/

Still no news on a new ECHL affiliation after the Checkers have become the AHL affiliate of the Carolina Hurricanes.

OT: Please see this team that calls its self the WAILERS... hahaha, great idea I must say http://www.wailershockey.com/
You posted the wrong link; what it appears you intended to link to is this:

Quote:
Also, as many have read in local newspapers, or here on Howlings, the last hurdle has been cleared for Howard Baldwin and his Whalers Sports & Entertainment to take over operation of the Hartford Wolf Pack. Larry Gottesdiener and his Northland Investment Corporation’s essentially removed itself from the equation in the operation of the XL Center. They turned over their interests to AEG. Well, it is only a matter of time now, as early as next week, that it should become official. When that happens, the Hartford Wolf Pack will be no more and the new team will be the Connecticut Whalers. The relationship with the Rangers will remain in place. This will be a huge moment for the city of Hartford and for the players as well. With Baldwin running things there should be a renewed interest in the team and making it an event once again. Expect the team to once again start drawing big crowds and become the place to be. Howlings will stay on top of this story.
http://howlings2.wordpress.com/2010/...s-coming-home/

EDIT: Personally, I don't like it. Bring back the Binghamton Rangers - don't make our affiliate a ripoff of the defunct NHL team.

Old
07-24-2010, 09:13 AM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
You posted the wrong link; what it appears you intended to link to is this:

http://howlings2.wordpress.com/2010/...s-coming-home/

EDIT: Personally, I don't like it. Bring back the Binghamton Rangers - don't make our affiliate a ripoff of the defunct NHL team.
Thanks for the correct link, my bad.

New York Rangers (NHL)
Binghampton Rangers (NHL)
?????????? Rangers (ECHL)

It works with the NJ organization, NJ Devils, Albany Devils (AHL), Trenton Devils (ECHL)... Not only do you establish a organizational identity, have the same colored equipment, but also strengthens your brand... the ECHL team is 3.5 hours away from their AHL team, which is 2.5 hours away from their NHL parent team.

I hate the Devils, but THAT is how you run your farm system.

Old
07-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Mitch Beck lol I love that guy

Old
07-24-2010, 11:27 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
The Everblades have been mentioned in rumors suggesting the team could be in talks with to add either New York Rangers or the Anaheim Ducks as a second NHL affiliate.
http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2010/...rida-panthers/

Old
07-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 50
I used to play my junior hockey with the blades organization after i moved here fro newyork a couple of years ago. Very good facilities they have at Germain. The players were really nice also, they were always up for helping the younger people learn and develope.

Old
07-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Send a message via AIM to Jarkko Immonen
god im gonna throw up when/if they change the rangers farm club to the whalers

Old
07-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Also if the games become "the place to be" as Beck suggests simply because of a name change, i'll throw up even more

i hate this city

Old
07-26-2010, 03:06 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
I know this is a little delayed, but I just ran into him at a bar so this was the first place I thought to go haha.

I am finishing up my last MBA classes at RIT this summer. I have been in a few classes with Dan Ringwald over the years, and alot more recently as he got his MBA as well. Most people, including myself, will tell you the hockey team at RIT was 99% full of Grade A ****** bags, but the one percent everyone says is a good guy is Ringwald. He's a real down to earth guy. When the school was going ape **** when we made the Frozen Four this year, I was in a class with him and he was almost embarrassed due to all the press and attention. He just goes about his business.

On the ice, I've watched him for four years. He's about as smooth skating as a defensemen as I've seen in person. He might not be the biggest, but he is really confident with the puck and makes all the passes that as fans we beg for them to make. Great breakout starter, and without him, that team wouldn't have had the success they did. He's a character guy who is a good level headed voice in the locker room.

I consider him a friend of mine, and I really hope he makes the Pack. If not, I expect him to dominate the ECHL. That's just my opinion, figured I'd share it as not many people have seen him play outside the NCAA tournament.

Old
07-28-2010, 02:48 PM
squishy

Add another no-name defenseman to the crowded blueline in Hartford.

Quote:
HARTFORD, July 28, 2010: Hartford Wolf Pack general manager Jim Schoenfeld announced today that the Wolf Pack has signed defenseman Blake Parlett to an American Hockey League contract.

Parlett comes to the Wolf Pack after a six-year Junior career in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL). This past season, the 21-year-old, 6-1, 205-pound Parlett played 68 games with the Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors, tallying 11 goals and adding 35 assists for 46 points, while amassing 108 penalty minutes and a +13. Those totals led all Mississauga defensemen in points, goals and assists and were good for second overall on the team in assists, third in points and second in PIM.

In the OHL postseason, Parlett registered one goal and four assists for five points, along with 18 PIM. That ranked him second among the club’s blueliners in goals and tied him for second in points by a defenseman.

In 2008-09 with Mississauga, Parlett struck for eight goals and 26 assists for 34 points, second-best among team defensemen in points and assists and fourth overall on the team in assists.

Parlett, a native of Bracebridge, Ontario, finished his OHL tenure with a total of 301 games-played with Mississauga, Windsor and Barrie, in which he posted 28 goals and 88 assists for 116 points, as well as 361 minutes in penalties.

Old
07-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Burke1

http://www.facebook.com/WhalerNation...d=375396610978

Old
08-04-2010, 11:49 AM
yankeecpt15

from what i am told, rags new echl affiliate will be greenville road warriors,formally the Johnstown chiefs of slapshot fame and owned by neil smith

Old
08-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeecpt15 View Post
from what i am told, rags new echl affiliate will be greenville road warriors,formally the Johnstown chiefs of slapshot fame and owned by neil smith
are you basing this on Howling's post "Spin the Dial"? (http://howlings2.wordpress.com/2010/...spin-the-dial/)

Old
08-04-2010, 03:36 PM
yankeecpt15

thanks for the heads up os...i didn't realize beck went to print on it...i did have it from another source, but maybe we know the same guy..oh well, so much for a scoop

Old
08-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeecpt15 View Post
thanks for the heads up os...i didn't realize beck went to print on it...i did have it from another source, but maybe we know the same guy..oh well, so much for a scoop
no probs... I still can't believe they're going to rename the HFD WP to be the Connecticut Whalers and now are getting an ECHL affiliate in South Carolina...

Old
08-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
no probs... I still can't believe they're going to rename the HFD WP to be the Connecticut Whalers and now are getting an ECHL affiliate in South Carolina...
There are worse things that could happen... like us having to share an AHL affiliate... or stacking our AHL affiliate with 27 year old players in order to win the championship every year.

Old
08-04-2010, 04:37 PM
Osminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
There are worse things that could happen... like us having to share an AHL affiliate... or stacking our AHL affiliate with 27 year old players in order to win the championship every year.
Just counted, there are 30 AHL and NHL teams... Looks like no one has to share an affiliate this year...

Thank God for the Veterans Rule in the AHL, kinda prohibits 15 guys 27 years or older (who I am sure have more than 260 Pro games which constitutes a "Veteran")... The Pack clearly misses a player/leader in the Gernander-type mold, and guys such as Derek Armstron/Brad Smyth who take the pressure of the young guns... I'd rather have the prospects in a winning environment, something they hopefully take with them when they go the NYR.

Old
08-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Osminator

How many players are typically re-assigned to the ECHL by the NY Rangers? 1 goalie, 3 d-men, 5 forwards???

Old
08-04-2010, 04:58 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Just counted, there are 30 AHL and NHL teams... Looks like no one has to share an affiliate this year...

Thank God for the Veterans Rule in the AHL, kinda prohibits 15 guys 27 years or older (who I am sure have more than 260 Pro games which constitutes a "Veteran")... The Pack clearly misses a player/leader in the Gernander-type mold, and guys such as Derek Armstron/Brad Smyth who take the pressure of the young guns... I'd rather have the prospects in a winning environment, something they hopefully take with them when they go the NYR.
Thought Jeremy Williams was signed to play that role this year?

Old
08-05-2010, 01:42 PM
DekeR

Whalers- it just conjures up either a rag tag group of toothless old farts in yellow rain gear or a bunch of slow overwiight hockey players.

Old
08-05-2010, 03:17 PM
ruckus*

I've got no problem with the Whalers.

Didn't mind the Wolf Pack but either way it's not a big deal.

Develop the kids and get them to the big city.

Old
08-05-2010, 04:20 PM
azrok22

As someone who lived in the suburbs of Hartford for a few years, the "Bring Back the Whale" following has some support still (at UConn sporting events, etc.). Personally, if I was a fan of the now extinct NHL Whalers, I'd be insulted if someone told me that the Whalers were back (but in the AHL) or that I should buy tickets to the Hartford (Wolf-)Whalers.

Then again, people are sheep, so maybe this name change really increases ticket sales.

Old
08-05-2010, 04:27 PM
CH2

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
As someone who lived in the suburbs of Hartford for a few years, the "Bring Back the Whale" following has some support still (at UConn sporting events, etc.). Personally, if I was a fan of the now extinct NHL Whalers, I'd be insulted if someone told me that the Whalers were back (but in the AHL) or that I should buy tickets to the Hartford (Wolf-)Whalers.

Then again, people are sheep, so maybe this name change really increases ticket sales.
I was under the impression that this was a move to show that there is a viable NHL market in Connecticut and get a team back, not to just improve AHL attendance solely.

Old
08-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
I was under the impression that this was a move to show that there is a viable NHL market in Connecticut and get a team back, not to just improve AHL attendance solely.
Those two things go hand in hand.

Old
08-08-2010, 02:15 PM
may know

So is the Hartford Wolfpack going to be called the Connecticut Whalers this year?

And when does the 2010-11 AHL schedule come out?

Old
08-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Jarkko Immonen
#42 Artem Anisimov

Hockey in Hartford chat with Jacobs of The Courant and Howard Baldwin:

http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey...89711.htmlpage

LOL, The Courant created a Whalers fan forum. Hilarious.

Closed Thread