HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#49: Rangers @ Flyers - January 21, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
01-22-2010, 09:13 AM
JSTAFF

vCash: 500
It makes 0 sense why Coburn shouldn't be thriving in this system. It's all about skating and regardless of how ****** Coburn plays, hes as smooth skating of a D-man as your ever going to find.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:54 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crysis View Post
Ranger fan dropping in.

I must say I was impressed by your team last night. New York didn't play well as usual, and have been shut out 3 of the last 6 games or something like that.

As for the Gaborik/Carcillo fight, Carcillo did go in the scrum after Gaborik and gave him the first shot to head with his glove. But, Gaborik dropped his glove(s) first, so that gave Carcillo every right to throw punches at him. Carcillo went after Gaborik first, Gaborik dropped the gloves first. And that's what happened.
The funny thing is MSG made it sound like Carcillo went over to Gaborik's house and kicked his dog and slapped his wife.

They both dropped the gloves, it's not rocket science.

Of course they were also criticizing Girardi for not stepping in and protecting the best player on your team.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:17 AM
kungpao

Send a message via MSN to kungpao
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackWithaVengeance View Post
As great as we played today, does this mean we'll see another poor piss effort the next game?

Mind you, I try to jinx it! Fingers crossed!
They better not! PL would be pissed cause it's Carolina and I'd be pissed cause I'm going to the game! LOL

kungpao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Heres the Torts vs Brooks postgame.
Love it.

Torts: "Have you ever fought before?"
Brooks: "Yeah."
Torts: "You have?"
Brooks: "Why, are you challenging me now?"

Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Here it is for anyone that hasnt seen it.

Sorry if it has been posted. Tired as hell and havent really looked.
He's an ass. How about acting like a professional, coach? Brooks asked a legitimate question.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:58 AM
TheKingPin

Haha Torts is a horrendous coach off the ice IMO.

Not sure if people know or have commented on it yet. But during the Flyers Big Mouths segment in the second intermission the Rags color guy called into question the Flyers goaltending and sited it as a reason why the Flyers may not make the playoffs. Then going on about the Rags goaltending. I took a lot of satisfaction seeing Ray get the SO. And an easy one at that. Our team D and team forecheck, which helped the D, was amazing that game. My brother and I were saying that the Rags seemed to not ever touch the puck.

Some logic: If our goaltending is so bad. And we shut you out. What does that make your offense? Lets face it you have to score goals in the playoffs to win. With scoring teams like Caps, Pens, Flyers and even Sens and Bruins when healthy in the East. And top teams like DET, SJ, and Hawks in the west. You have to score to win. Look at calgary.

I think the Rags miss the playoffs at our expense and the Isles make it in.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:10 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post

Not sure if people know or have commented on it yet. But during the Flyers Big Mouths segment in the second intermission the Rags color guy called into question the Flyers goaltending and sited it as a reason why the Flyers may not make the playoffs. Then going on about the Rags goaltending. I took a lot of satisfaction seeing Ray get the SO. And an easy one at that. Our team D and team forecheck, which helped the D, was amazing that game. My brother and I were saying that the Rags seemed to not ever touch the puck.

Some logic: If our goaltending is so bad. And we shut you out. What does that make your offense? Lets face it you have to score goals in the playoffs to win. With scoring teams like Caps, Pens, Flyers and even Sens and Bruins when healthy in the East. And top teams like DET, SJ, and Hawks in the west. You have to score to win. Look at calgary.

Not always. Look at NJ and Phoenix.

New Jersey:
18th in goals for, 1st in goals against, 2nd in the East

Phoenix:
19th in goals for, 7th in goals against, 4th in the West

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crysis View Post
Ranger fan dropping in.

I must say I was impressed by your team last night. New York didn't play well as usual, and have been shut out 3 of the last 6 games or something like that.

As for the Gaborik/Carcillo fight, Carcillo did go in the scrum after Gaborik and gave him the first shot to head with his glove. But, Gaborik dropped his glove(s) first, so that gave Carcillo every right to throw punches at him. Carcillo went after Gaborik first, Gaborik dropped the gloves first. And that's what happened.
I honestly have no idea what Gaborik was thinking/doing there...and Torts throwing a fit about it is absurd. If Gaborik doesn't drop his gloves first, then there's no fight there. Carcillo wasn't going to take an instigator there. And to act all affronted that the other teams agitator is...agitating when you have Avery is the height of hypocrisy.

Quote:

Any objective analysis of the Flyers right now has to question our goaltending. Despite his nice run, Leighton is not a legit option for a playoff team. Boucher is a backup for sure. Emery has been hurt and, frankly, unimpressive all year. As of today we're 22nd in the league in SVPCT...lotta room for improvement there.

Rangers have their own problem, and offensive issues have plagued them the last few years...no one is going to deny that either.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:15 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:

Yea, I mean, I'm a huge advocate of tight team D over offense -- at all times, playoffs including -- but the Rangers' O basically lost that playoff series against the Caps last year. In 7 games, they scored 11 goals (4 in the first game) and got shutout twice. You're not gonna win a playoff series today with that kind of scoring. I think I agree with your prediction at the end...I could totally see them missing the cut.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Yea, I mean, I'm a huge advocate of tight team D over offense -- at all times, playoffs including -- but the Rangers' O basically lost that playoff series against the Caps last year. In 7 games, they scored 11 goals (4 in the first game) and got shutout twice. You're not gonna win a playoff series today with that kind of scoring. I think I agree with your prediction at the end...I could totally see them missing the cut.
The Rangers are not a dangerous team competing for anything much until they get some offense, but they are a borderline playoff team in the East. Look at the goal differential statistics. There are 6 teams in the East with positive goal diff. Rangers are even. The Islanders, are just as bad as the Rangers offensively, and significantly worse than them defensively.

If you can keep the score down with the current scoring format, you're going to pick up points in OT games and win your fair share.

Old
01-22-2010, 11:22 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
Not always. Look at NJ and Phoenix.

New Jersey:
18th in goals for, 1st in goals against, 2nd in the East

Phoenix:
19th in goals for, 7th in goals against, 4th in the West
This is true but these teams arent going off of just one man. Ive had Gabby on my fantasy team and I am shocked as to how many goals he is in on. Id say close to half. He was a non factor last night. The Devils have their top gun but also have several other players that can score when needed. Not really sure what to say about PHX, glad to see it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I honestly have no idea what Gaborik was thinking/doing there...and Torts throwing a fit about it is absurd. If Gaborik doesn't drop his gloves first, then there's no fight there. Carcillo wasn't going to take an instigator there. And to act all affronted that the other teams agitator is...agitating when you have Avery is the height of hypocrisy.

Any objective analysis of the Flyers right now has to question our goaltending. Despite his nice run, Leighton is not a legit option for a playoff team. Boucher is a backup for sure. Emery has been hurt and, frankly, unimpressive all year. As of today we're 22nd in the league in SVPCT...lotta room for improvement there.

Rangers have their own problem, and offensive issues have plagued them the last few years...no one is going to deny that either.
Oh I am not saying our goaltending is rock solid. Im simply, and very immaturely I know, saying that it felt good to get the SO after listening to him bash us.

Also as far as Emery's injury. He played very well at the beginning of the year. I honestly think he got injured and tried to play though it which is where is sucked with his 5.00 GAA. I think we will all be happy with him once he gets back into things. The Pens will be a great test for that. They'll keep him moving.

Old
01-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Jester

Quote:
Oh I am not saying our goaltending is rock solid. Im simply, and very immaturely I know, saying that it felt good to get the SO after listening to him bash us.

Also as far as Emery's injury. He played very well at the beginning of the year. I honestly think he got injured and tried to play though it which is where is sucked with his 5.00 GAA. I think we will all be happy with him once he gets back into things. The Pens will be a great test for that. They'll keep him moving.
Eh, I don't think he's ever showed all that much...and while I'm sure the injury hindered him some, even at the beginning of the year he almost NEVER made that "big" save when the defense broke down in front of him. He's pretty solid on everything he should save (though, his rebound control has been horrid since coming back, but I'm assuming that's just rust to an extent), but he never seems to stone anyone on a glorious chance.

I also think his technical play his horrible for a NHL goalie, and he relies on his athleticism too much. While that works for him when he's on, when he gets into a funk it will be ugly because he doesn't have the technical base to fall back on.

I haven't been impressed with Emery (regardless of injury) and as of now have zero interest in marrying ourselves to him with an extension.

Old
01-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Kaktus*

Trots is just crazy.. He needs meds as well as medical help.

Someone should tell Trots that it is embarrassing to score ZERO goals against the Flyers in their last two meetings.

Last edited by Kaktus*: 01-22-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:45 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Heres the Torts vs Brooks postgame.
That's great stuff. Highlite of the night right there. Brooks stays so calm. Hopefully the Rags are headed into a downward Tampa style spiral.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:47 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
The Rangers are not a dangerous team competing for anything much until they get some offense, but they are a borderline playoff team in the East. Look at the goal differential statistics. There are 6 teams in the East with positive goal diff. Rangers are even. The Islanders, are just as bad as the Rangers offensively, and significantly worse than them defensively.

If you can keep the score down with the current scoring format, you're going to pick up points in OT games and win your fair share.
Quote:
Quote:
Eh, I don't think he's ever showed all that much...and while I'm sure the injury hindered him some, even at the beginning of the year he almost NEVER made that "big" save when the defense broke down in front of him. He's pretty solid on everything he should save (though, his rebound control has been horrid since coming back, but I'm assuming that's just rust to an extent), but he never seems to stone anyone on a glorious chance.

I also think his technical play his horrible for a NHL goalie, and he relies on his athleticism too much. While that works for him when he's on, when he gets into a funk it will be ugly because he doesn't have the technical base to fall back on.

I haven't been impressed with Emery (regardless of injury) and as of now have zero interest in marrying ourselves to him with an extension.
Yea I dont think either of us are saying they are going to be a lottery team. But I can see them being 9th at the end of the year. The Isles have turned it on since the same time we have. I think they may be the hottest team in the NHL now. They have a better shot IMO.

And I REALLY have to disagree with Emery not making big saves when the D broke down. For awhile there he was making 3-4 great saves a game. Including stopping breakaways and 2-1's. I ado agree that he relies on reflexes more than position. But that doesnt have to be a bad thing as long as you are good at it. Emery has great numbers with the teams he has been with on the pro level, this year excluded. I think he bounces back. As far as extending him who knows. I have always liked Harding in minny. Wouldnt mind talking a look at him. Ellis has some potential as well. But im really not sure there is anyone far and above Ray.

Personally I look for a goalie that can get hot as a plus. Some goalies seem to just get really hot for a stretch of games. In my time of watching hockey that seems to be the difference every year in getting to the finals or not, which Emery has.

Old
01-22-2010, 11:48 AM
medicman

From NHL.com's article about the game last night..

"Flyers coach Peter Laviolette said there wasn't one thing he could criticize his team about."

"I liked all of it, I really did," he said. "It's hard to pull out one thing or just one point. I thought the guys were committed to the way they played the game from the start to the finish."

I love it when a plan comes together!!!

medicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:48 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
That's great stuff. Highlite of the night right there. Brooks stays so calm. Hopefully the Rags are headed into a downward Tampa style spiral.
The Legacy of John Torterella?

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Jester

Quote:
And I REALLY have to disagree with Emery not making big saves when the D broke down. For awhile there he was making 3-4 great saves a game. Including stopping breakaways and 2-1's. I ado agree that he relies on reflexes more than position. But that doesnt have to be a bad thing as long as you are good at it. Emery has great numbers with the teams he has been with on the pro level, this year excluded. I think he bounces back. As far as extending him who knows. I have always liked Harding in minny. Wouldnt mind talking a look at him. Ellis has some potential as well. But im really not sure there is anyone far and above Ray.
Apparently we've been watching a different season...Emery looks like a drunk with dull skates on breakaways.

Old
01-22-2010, 11:56 AM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicman View Post
From NHL.com's article about the game last night..

"Flyers coach Peter Laviolette said there wasn't one thing he could criticize his team about."

"I liked all of it, I really did," he said. "It's hard to pull out one thing or just one point. I thought the guys were committed to the way they played the game from the start to the finish."

I love it when a plan comes together!!!
I saw that and couldn't agree more. They played lights out great last night.

Quote:
Apparently we've been watching a different season...Emery looks like a drunk with dull skates on breakaways.
Yea ive seen emery go post to post very fast covering bottom to top of the net very well. The first two games back I thought he looked drunk though.

Old
01-22-2010, 12:24 PM
MsWoof

The pre-injury Emery appeared halfway through last night's game. I'm happy with the way he's progressing since his return.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:25 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

longer clip .. the host's reaction after is PRICELESS !!!!

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:41 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post

longer clip .. the host's reaction after is PRICELESS !!!!
I've always been a big fan of leetch despite his crest but he really disappointed me last night. He took the same stance on the fight as Rosen and Micheletti. It's depressing when hockey guys turn into washwomen.

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:55 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Just saw the clip of the game from Sportscenter. They had the game labeled as "Fight Night," didn't show JVR's goal (went 1/2 there), and showed basically all the fights. Then you've got Linda Cohn saying that Gaborik's penalty shouldn't be one, Carcillo's got a lack of honor, etc

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:00 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

I am not suprised by Leetch's reaction. He is a lifelong Ranger. What did you expect him to say?
I know the Rangers are upset with Carcillo fighting Gaborik, but Gaborik dropped his gloves. its not like Carcillo started to throw em while Gaborik still has his gloves on.
I wonder if Tortorella thinks there is honor in Avery doing his antics with Brodeur. Its the same damn thing, you are looking for ways to get the other teams best player off his game and the Flyers accomplished that last night.
Gaborik even took a dumb penalty that led to the 2nd goal.
Gaborik was held shotless as well.

Quote:
Then you've got Linda Cohn saying that Gaborik's penalty shouldn't be one, Carcillo's got a lack of honor, etc
Linda Cohn is a diehard Rangers fan. Allways has been.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:04 PM
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub

When did the NHL turn into the NFL?

Skilled players can't take a hit?

What's this respect factor, are we supposed to give him a free goal next time?

Give me a break, what the Rangers should be worried about is how no one stepped up to be the third man in or to know that game was huge for them and they didn't show up.

Rangers fans hate Carcillo, but they like Brash who jumped of all people Blair Betts last year.

Come on.

Razor the Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote