HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hypothetical situation..We miss the playoffs and Bob gets fired (or steps down)..

Old
12-17-2009, 09:58 PM
Habsfan18

vCash: 500
Hypothetical situation..We miss the playoffs and Bob gets fired (or steps down)..

Who on earth would take over?

I've supported Mr. Gainey and I don't want to see him go, but to be honest I think it's because I have no idea who would take over. It's a scary thought.

I know there's the ridiculous unwritten rule that the coach has to be bilingual, but has anyone come out and stated that the same rule applies for the GM?

I see people bring up Serge Savard, Patrick Roy, french-speaking agents etc..and it ****ing terrifies me. Is that seriously what's out there in terms of candidates? Because if so, we're in serious trouble.

I remember I asked a few weeks ago if someone could give me a list of 5 qualified bilingual GM candidates..and nobody could give me one. It's probably because there simply ISN'T 5 qualified candidates.

So, I think I've finally realized that I'm not necessarily a Gainey "supporter" (although I'm not a Gainey "hater" either) I'm just scared of who could come after Bob.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:08 PM
Kirk Muller

For the good of the Franchise, I think it needs to be someone without ties to organization who can bring a fresh approach to the team.

I find it hard to really be worried about who takes over simply because what we have isn't working either. It really can't get much worse unless Newhabsera takes over the team.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:18 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
For the good of the Franchise, I think it needs to be someone without ties to organization who can bring a fresh approach to the team.
But that's the thing, who?

I don't understand why people keep bringing up Patrick Roy. What exactly makes him qualified to be a good GM?

And although I'm not his biggest fan, the guy who probably makes the most sense (at least in my opinion) is Pierre McGuire. And that alone is pretty scary if he's the best candidate out there.

Old
12-17-2009, 10:21 PM
Canadian_Brewtality

yes i was waiting for the first fire gainey post of the night

i want ron fournier as gm.

but no, this question has be beaten like a hooker. Gainey hasnt delivered, and it dosent take a 5 game losing streak to know this.

Canadian_Brewtality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Darth Joker

Serge Savard was a good GM for this team.

People remember him a lot for a couple of really bad trades he made (trading LeClair and Desjardins to Philly; trading Chelios to Chicago), but he also made a lot of astute moves (trading Richer for Muller, then after Muller's best years were behind him trading Muller/Schneider for Turgeon/Malakhov; trading Corson and Gilchrist for Damphousse).

Honestly, I could live with Savard coming back. But... I doubt that he wants the role, honestly.

If we don't follow the bilingual rule... I've always liked Mike Keenan to be honest. Both as a GM and as a coach. Yes, he made that awful Luongo deal, but he's also made many steals in his career (getting Chelios for Chicago; getting Pronger for St. Louis which many actually felt was a terrible deal at the time it was made; getting Bertuzzi and McCabe for Trevor Linden).

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Brewtality View Post
yes i was waiting for the first fire gainey post of the night.
Yeah..except this wasn't a "fire Gainey" post..

I simply want to know who people think would be a good candidate if/when it happens.

Old
12-17-2009, 10:38 PM
bopeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Yeah..except this wasn't a "fire Gainey" post..

I simply want to know who people think would be a good candidate if/when it happens.
Stevie Y. if and when.

bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:41 PM
The n00b King
Kingin' since 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by bopeep View Post
Stevie Y. if and when.
never gonna happen. ever.

there's no one. so people should realize this and give up the idea that he's going to get fired. he'll step down, but there's no way the guy is getting fired.

God there's no one out there to do the job that would be good for this team. No one.

It IS ****ing terrifying.

The n00b King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominant Hegemony View Post
It IS ****ing terrifying.
It certainly is.

Hell, there isn't too many good english-only speaking candidates out there..now add in the fact that they likely have to be bilingual.

Old
12-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Stradale

Steve Yzerman! Maybe Vincent Damphousse? I dont know... Oh yeah! Pierre McGuire!

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:49 PM
RE-HABS

Let me be the first to say if Gainey were to step down or be fired, I want the Habs to pick a GM on the basis of knowledge and skill...not based on the best available former Hab to run the team.

(1) Serge Savard has been away from the game for over 15 games so I pass immediately as the game has changed too much.

(2) Patrick Roy. He seems intelligent hockey wise, but I think his ego maybe a factor in the team and I also don't know if he can run the cap as it is a complicated thing to do as a former player. GM's being named now have been in the NHL for years in some capacity as Assistant GM or Director of Player Development...they have been taught.

(3) Pierre McGuire. The guy is annoying as hell, but I think he has a deep passion for the game and the Habs. People may see him and say he is a basher,if anything I think he maybe critical as he want's the team to succeed. You name me a bigger Carey Price supporter out there in the media?

He has contacts from scouts, to coaches to GM's and he is knowledgeable about the scouting and drafting area as well...he is bilingual, and has a ego that maybe help him strive to clean house and build the right team here.

He knows the cap too.

I would think McGuire would be a good choice, and being a final candidate in the Wild GM job already I believe the NHL has taken notice.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

McGuire is a win-win situation. He does what he talks about, we win the Cup every year. He can't do ****, we won't hear him ever for the next 10 years....If we don't win, at least he'll make it interesting.

I would like to see what Blair McKasey can do or Alain Chainey. I would bring André Savard back but that's not a popular choice around here. And I'm not against Patrick Roy either though I would make him assistant GM first.

But one thing I'm more worried about than anything else....if Gainey steps down, that the Molsons believes in Pierre Gauthier.

As much as people are scared of what's out there....I believe that what we already have is scarier....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:56 PM
MayorFord

pierre mcguire. say what you want, he basically knows every young upcoming player for the next 10 years. our drafting would improve
if we could get bob mckenzie it would be awsome but i doubt it

MayorFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 10:59 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbo View Post
pierre mcguire. say what you want, he basically knows every young upcoming player for the next 10 years. our drafting would improve
I have a hard time forgetting is "Emelin is the best d-man playing outside of the NHL" when the kid had all the trouble in the world to play a regular shift and sucked doing it....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:11 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbo View Post
So McGuire is scouting the Timbits at the rink too?

Bobby Mac is a great insider, he isn't GM material.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:20 PM
smon

Mark my words, it'll be Jacques Martin.

Not that I want Martin to be the GM...in fact, I think he did not a good job at all with Florida. But it would make sense. The guy's francophone, plenty of experience, would not be surprised if Gainey essentially told him as much.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:32 PM
MathMan

If Buffalo is crazy enough to let Darcy Regier go, he'd be a good pick.

McGuire, Roy, and Savard... of those Savard is the only one I'd even consider, and even then I'd stay far away.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:34 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
But that's the thing, who?

I don't understand why people keep bringing up Patrick Roy. What exactly makes him qualified to be a good GM?

And although I'm not his biggest fan, the guy who probably makes the most sense (at least in my opinion) is Pierre McGuire. And that alone is pretty scary if he's the best candidate out there.
Its always tough to know exactly. We often hear simply GM's names but rarely are the men behind the scenes that help run teams mentioned.

As fans we are generally out of the loop especially in this regard.

There simply has to be some good hockey minds out there at least i i hope there would be. I am more afraid of not moving on past Gainey and sticking with the status quo. BG is a great hockey mind i just think he is stuck in the old school.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:54 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

I am guessing Pierre Gauthier or Jacques Martin, for the linguistic and previous GM qualifications.

I know the OP treaded lightly with the subject line, as to not be trampled by the part of the fanbase that's in denial , but this is a legitimate thread about a legitimate topic. If you don't think Gainey is vulnerable and a replacement is possible then you're filtering your view over what has transpired over the past 6 years.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2009, 11:59 PM
schumway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl the habs fan View Post
I am guessing Pierre Gauthier or Jacques Martin, for the linguistic and previous GM qualifications.

I know the OP treaded lightly with the subject line, as to not be trampled by the part of the fanbase that's in denial , but this is a legitimate thread about a legitimate topic. If you don't think Gainey is vulnerable and a replacement is possible then you're filtering your view over what has transpired over the past 6 years.
I'll march on the Bell Centre if Pierre Gauthier is hired.

schumway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 12:37 AM
InglewoodJack

If Steve Y comes in (My initials ) I'd be very, very happy. Truth is, it's going to be an ex-Hab.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 12:39 AM
MXD

I'm gonna drop the same name over and over again in those topics

Vincent Damphousse.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 12:41 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post

Vincent Damphousse.
Interesting, what are his qualifications to make you feel he would be a good choice?

- Ken Dryden
Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2009, 12:44 AM
Habsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Interesting, what are his qualifications to make you feel he would be a good choice?
Maybe he put a bunch of ex-Habs names into a hat?

Here, I'll do it!....Juha Lind!

Old
12-18-2009, 12:46 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
Steve Yzerman! Maybe Vincent Damphousse? I dont know... Oh yeah! Pierre McGuire!
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenYoung View Post
If Steve Y comes in (My initials ) I'd be very, very happy. Truth is, it's going to be an ex-Hab.
Yzerman doesn't speak French.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post

Vincent Damphousse.
Not likely.

Roy is brought in as coach and Martin is moved up, or Roy is brought in straight to GM.

Or, I'm wrong and it is Damphousse. It's Montréal, ex players with no experience are brought in to do roles all the time.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote