HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

You can't win a game on a two player team 4-3 OT loss

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-21-2010, 08:33 AM
  #301
otto bond
Registered User
 
otto bond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,853
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caekslap View Post
Oh I have no doubt that our overall performance was mediocre I was just surprised at people praising Price's game and saying he got us the point.
I'm not gonna say I love is game now....but really, it's starts by playing with the puck more. Both goalie as has good and bad game. Price is being more picked on and it shows that the pressure he faces is greater then what Halak faces. Halak had a awfull game last time around but according to some....he was not to blame.
I chose to say that goalies are our strenght and until the team plays better infront of them, we are going to have these debate allllllll season long.

otto bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 08:53 AM
  #302
furrfu
Registered User
 
furrfu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermamoud View Post
If it was Cammalleri who roofed it high blocker side for the win, would the fans say that it was a softie let in by Conklin or that it was a great laser shot by Cammalleri?
Yep. McDonald's goal actually reminded me of Cammalleri's OT goal against the Rangers earlier this season - lasered it top corner from the slot and everybody was saying what a great shot, didn't hear anyone say Lundqvist is a flop.

furrfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 08:58 AM
  #303
saints96
Registered User
 
saints96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,928
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by furrfu View Post
Yep. McDonald's goal actually reminded me of Cammalleri's OT goal against the Rangers earlier this season - lasered it top corner from the slot and everybody was saying what a great shot, didn't hear anyone say Lundqvist is a flop.
nope, those comment only go towards Price. Against the Rangers however, THERE it was the teams fault, because Halak was in net. I feel bad for Price, no matter he does, hes doomed. He gets picked on, on every little thing he does. Its sad that it came to this.

saints96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 09:01 AM
  #304
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!
 
King Woodballs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Your Mind
Posts: 32,150
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
You know what's worse? When you got idiotic fans who know nothing about hockey and try to put the blame of a bad team on a goalie's shoulders.

]Fans and Media are what is wrong with the team. Because of them we are never going to be able to do a proper rebuild.Imagine the backlash the team is going to get if we're out of the playoff picture and Gainey sells and Plekanec is one of those players he trades. OMG I can't wait.
Oh no no no I was told that was not true in the other "whats wrong with the habs" poll
It cant be the fans or media

I feel your point is totally correct.
If it wasnt for the retards calling for everyones head after every game win or lose...
You can't properly rebuild without losing a ton for the most part... (ref: Pittsburgh, Chicago) I know Detroit was able to maintain a good team while rebuilding on the fly but that is a rarity.
Therefore this team constantly has to rebuild on the fly. Clearly without much success.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 09:02 AM
  #305
furrfu
Registered User
 
furrfu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimoGionta View Post
Because those that says Price didn't play stellar are Halak fanboys? That is so childish.
I think the point is that people come into this thread blaming it entirely on Price as if they didn't notice the rest of the team played like donkeys for the majority of the game (as usual). Why we're even talking about the goalies on this team at all is a mystery to me, the two of them are practically the ONLY BRIGHT SPOT in this otherwise miserable season.

furrfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 09:08 AM
  #306
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 33,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koseegin View Post
You know what's worse? When you got idiotic fans who know nothing about hockey and try to put the blame of a bad team on a goalie's shoulders.

Fans and Media are what is wrong with the team. Because of them we are never going to be able to do a proper rebuild. Imagine the backlash the team is going to get if we're out of the playoff picture and Gainey sells and Plekanec is one of those players he trades. OMG I can't wait.
In a way yes but in another way fans and media aren't at the draft table telling Bob what to do.Fans and the media didn't call Bob last summer to tell him to acquire Gomez and sign Hall Gill and Spacek.Are you serious?Always blaming the fans and media?It's enough with that Bob as done some bad mistakes both drafting and trading and that's why this team isn't going forward.

I agree that finishing last and telling the fans "we give up" on the season is really hard to do here in Montreal but I'm sure most would understand,and if they don't they could just watch and follow another team

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:33 PM
  #307
TinordiandSubban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,401
vCash: 500
I saw enough positives in this game to believe if we cna beat the Devils away the season will turn around for us.

You have to play a perfect game to beat NJ and I think they have it in them.

TinordiandSubban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:46 PM
  #308
Hermamoud
Registered User
 
Hermamoud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Vietnam
Posts: 2,101
vCash: 500
What's worst? PS3 vs Xbox360 debates, PC vs Mac debates or Halak vs Price debates?

Hermamoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:55 PM
  #309
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,729
vCash: 500
I wish our defense were harder to play against in the defensive zone. Gill, especially, lost almost every single battle for the puck that he entered. On top of that, not a single player was able to effectively skate the puck out of our zone on the break out, requiring a long banked pass followed by a chip-in to get into the St.Louis zone most of the night. I don't even want to get into the passes that went directly to Blues players instead of our guys, but that was horrible to watch as well. In fact, the passing was absolutely horrendous all game. Have you ever seen so many open passes that wingers had trouble receiving because the puck was either bouncing or rolling on end? Learn how to pass. Seriously. And if our big "puck possession" guys could learn how to stick handle through even light/moderate traffic, I would be much happier as well.

And I'm sorry, but Price does deserve a bit of criticism for a few things from last night. His puck-handling is supposedly one of his fortes, but his decision making has been poor as of late. Forget about the obvious mistakes like give-aways, sometimes he's just sweeping it around the boards to an empty side and forcing our team to get in a 50/50 battle for the puck in our zone instead of putting it somewhere that we'll definitely get it first. Not often, but not infrequently enough. And if getting frustrated enough to come out and initiate that kind of body contact to play a puck becomes routine, we're gonna need someone like Halak who can play 30-40 games a year after Price's inevitable concussion problems arise.

Also, he has seemed really slow while moving laterally, and recovering from his initial reaction to shots. Rebound control and reflexes, while not horrible, have certainly been no better than Halak's recently, so hopefully that size and positioning everyone talks about starts paying larger dividends.

Pouliot is awesome, btw. The end. No, one little thing I noticed last night that exemplifies the little things the Habs need to do: one time, he got the puck near the Habs blueline with a bit of clear ice ahead of him. He knew full well that he was going to change (the other two guys were already heading over there, so I assume the coach called them). Instead of the usually Hab approach (glide until the red line and either get forced to dump it in early resulting in an icing, or at best make a forced dump in that isn't directed properly), he HUSTLED over the red line, made the kind of dump-in he wanted, and turned back toward the bench for the change.

Little things like that are what I notice is wrong with the team's effort right now, and has nothing to do with "systems", etc. That and a lot of gliding beside opponents while waving the stick, or gliding around in open ice watching the puck instead of taking the extra 2 strides to properly get position on a guy you're trying to (or supposed to) cover. Especially when covering point men. I better stop there, because that one makes me pretty angry.

Spacek has been fairly brutal. Which is why I was happy that he was able to finally contribute something as positive (thanks to a sweet pick by Pouliot, who was instrumental in all 3 goals) as a tying goal late in the 3rd.

Lapierre had good energy at times, but also reverted to everyday Lappy from time to time.

MaxPac didn't do anything incredible with the puck, that's for sure. But his passing was okay, and he attempted a couple of imaginative things that unfortunately didn't have much chance for success right from the start. His play away from the puck, creating pressure in the offensive zone, and decision-making were pretty decent though, I thought.

Had a lot more observations, but this is already long enough and I need a smoke.

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by furrfu View Post
I think the point is that people come into this thread blaming it entirely on Price as if they didn't notice the rest of the team played like donkeys for the majority of the game (as usual). Why we're even talking about the goalies on this team at all is a mystery to me, the two of them are practically the ONLY BRIGHT SPOT in this otherwise miserable season.
Playing relatively less poorly than most of the rest of the team doesn't make anyone above criticism for the mistakes they DO make, or any faults that are glaring (for either guy). That's all I really wanted to say about that.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:25 PM
  #310
Biggsy
Registered User
 
Biggsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rutland/Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Ouragan16 View Post
Price was on his knees to quickly on this one. On the first goal he might have had a chance to catch the deflection had he been standing too, but that would've been blind luck though so you can't really blame him too much there. I do however think the he gets caught on his knees to often.
Yeah I cant name to many goalies who stand up all the time, Halak goes down alot too and he's much smaller than Price he gives up alot more net

Biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:32 PM
  #311
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
  1. Fact - Price is Montreal's #1 goalie
  2. Fact - Letting in 4 goals is not a #1 goalie's best game, or even a good game
  3. Fact - Just because you make some great saves AFTER letting in 3 goals, does not get you off the hook
  4. Fact - A #1 goalie's job is to consistantly play WELL, which means a GAA in the LOW 2's
  5. Fact - Price's GAA lifetime is 2.71 with a .912 Sv %. That is not the GAA of a #1 goalie
  6. Fact - Carey Price is young
  7. Fact - Carey Price is NOT ready to be a #1 goalie in the NHL yet
  8. Fact - This is not Carey Price's fault, but nevertheless he is the chosen one and has to play like it regardless

Halak is not the answer either, and I wouldn't defend him after letting in 4 goals no matter the circumstances. Regardless, winning starts with having a great goaltender (check all of the goalie's GAA and sv % throughout the playoffs of each of the cup winning teams forever) and right now Price and Halak are not up to the challenge

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:35 PM
  #312
Sandvich
VERY NICE
 
Sandvich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,423
vCash: 500
Can't win a game with a 2 player team... Crosby and Malkin just did vs the Islanders.

Sandvich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:57 PM
  #313
furrfu
Registered User
 
furrfu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Playing relatively less poorly than most of the rest of the team doesn't make anyone above criticism for the mistakes they DO make, or any faults that are glaring (for either guy). That's all I really wanted to say about that.
Oh I'm not saying they're above criticism or even that Price played a stellar game, but I think it's clear there are much more pressing concerns with this team than the goaltending, some of which you outlined in your post. Thank you for that.

furrfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 03:00 PM
  #314
E = CH²
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Country: Sri Lanka
Posts: 15,968
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
In a way yes but in another way fans and media aren't at the draft table telling Bob what to do.Fans and the media didn't call Bob last summer to tell him to acquire Gomez and sign Hall Gill and Spacek.Are you serious?Always blaming the fans and media?It's enough with that Bob as done some bad mistakes both drafting and trading and that's why this team isn't going forward.

I agree that finishing last and telling the fans "we give up" on the season is really hard to do here in Montreal but I'm sure most would understand,and if they don't they could just watch and follow another team
Agreed. People act like the fans general opinion has a huge impact on the franchise and at the same time tell us that one of the reason Gainey is in place because he's not affected by the population's and media's outcries.

So which is it ?

E = CH² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 03:15 PM
  #315
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
  1. Fact - Price is Montreal's #1 goalie
  2. Fact - Letting in 4 goals is not a #1 goalie's best game, or even a good game
  3. Fact - Just because you make some great saves AFTER letting in 3 goals, does not get you off the hook
  4. Fact - A #1 goalie's job is to consistantly play WELL, which means a GAA in the LOW 2's
  5. Fact - Price's GAA lifetime is 2.71 with a .912 Sv %. That is not the GAA of a #1 goalie
  6. Fact - Carey Price is young
  7. Fact - Carey Price is NOT ready to be a #1 goalie in the NHL yet
  8. Fact - This is not Carey Price's fault, but nevertheless he is the chosen one and has to play like it regardless

Halak is not the answer either, and I wouldn't defend him after letting in 4 goals no matter the circumstances. Regardless, winning starts with having a great goaltender (check all of the goalie's GAA and sv % throughout the playoffs of each of the cup winning teams forever) and right now Price and Halak are not up to the challenge

Fact: Our defense sucks. Love how you left that out


Fact: Your post sucks. See I can say things without a solid foundation too.



overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 03:23 PM
  #316
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggsy View Post
Yeah I cant name to many goalies who stand up all the time, Halak goes down alot too and he's much smaller than Price he gives up alot more net
Sure, but that's when puck tracking, reflexes, and recovery come into play. And when all is said, done, and added up... Halak stops more pucks. Right now, anyways, and despite "giving up a lot more net".

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 03:58 PM
  #317
BadHabit
Registered User
 
BadHabit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Fact: Our defense sucks. Love how you left that out


Fact: Your post sucks. See I can say things without a solid foundation too.


All of my statements were made with a solid foundation.

By the way, would you consider Vancouver's defense to be amazing? Because it isn't, and yet Luongo still manages a 2.29 GAA and a .920 Sv%.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 04:30 PM
  #318
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
They got a point for working about 10 minutes last night. That is not good

Meanwhile folks are debating which goalie to blame

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 04:33 PM
  #319
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
All of my statements were made with a solid foundation.

By the way, would you consider Vancouver's defense to be amazing? Because it isn't, and yet Luongo still manages a 2.29 GAA and a .920 Sv%.
Saying FACT is not a foundation. Provide a few FACTS to substantiate your comments and then maybe you have more than an opinion preceded by FACT

Opinions are fine just don't sell them as self evident FACTS

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 04:38 PM
  #320
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,946
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
Saying FACT is not a foundation. Provide a few FACTS to substantiate your comments and then maybe you have more than an opinion preceded by FACT

Opinions are fine just don't sell them as self evident FACTS
This.

Opinion - Montreal went down 3-1 after the first due to being out-played by St-Louis, Price being a little shaky (especially the 2nd goal) and Montreal playing piss poor at both ends of the rink.

Fact - Montreal will buy out Georges Laraque's contract.

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 04:40 PM
  #321
Stradale
Registered User
 
Stradale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadHabit View Post
All of my statements were made with a solid foundation.

By the way, would you consider Vancouver's defense to be amazing? Because it isn't, and yet Luongo still manages a 2.29 GAA and a .920 Sv%.
As far as I know, Luongo at this moment his better than Price which is kind of normal no?

If you want to compare numbers. Compare them with youngers goalie. I dont know why anyone compares Price with Brodeur or Luongo or hall of famers like Roy and Dryden.



Now lets see the last Stanley cup winner career stats compares to Price.

Price is 0.912 and 2.71
Fleury is 0.908 and 2.83

Oh well, i dont think the Pens mind having Fleury with non-#1 goalie stats.

And heres Cam Ward, a stanley cup champion aswell career stats:

.904
2.83

Price is clearly a bust.. at 22 yr old

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 04:43 PM
  #322
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
This.

Opinion - Montreal went down 3-1 after the first due to being out-played by St-Louis, Price being a little shaky (especially the 2nd goal) and Montreal playing piss poor at both ends of the rink.

Fact - Montreal will buy out Georges Laraque's contract.
OPINION Pretty good and accurate summary in your opinion

FACT we lost in OT

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 04:47 PM
  #323
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
As far as I know, Luongo at this moment his better than Price which is kind of normal no?

If you want to compare numbers. Compare them with youngers goalie. I dont know why anyone compares Price with Brodeur or Luongo or hall of famers like Roy and Dryden.



Now lets see the last Stanley cup winner career stats compares to Price.

Price is 0.912 and 2.71
Fleury is 0.908 and 2.83

Oh well, i dont think the Pens mind having Fleury with non-#1 goalie stats.


And heres Cam Ward, a stanley cup champion aswell career stats:

.904
2.83

Price is clearly a bust.. at 22 yr old
MAF won the Cup so he gets a free average stats pass

Price / Halak have not won the Cup, so they get blamed by one group of idiots or another

I find myself wondering though, would halak and Price be doing better in P'burg?

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 04:52 PM
  #324
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
not sure if anyone noticed, and i'm not one to pick apart a single play and blow it out of proportion, but if you look at the replay of carey getting jack hammered, cammy is looking at price when it happens, then calmly turns away after the puck that flies off in some other direction.

I have nothing against cammy as a player or as a personality, and i checked the video over a few times asking myself 'who the hell was that?' and was surprised to see it was him.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 04:54 PM
  #325
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,946
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
MAF won the Cup so he gets a free average stats pass

Price / Halak have not won the Cup, so they get blamed by one group of idiots or another

I find myself wondering though, would halak and Price be doing better in P'burg?

Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.