HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes keeping Mueller; Looking for a top 6 forward and depth Dman before deadline?

Old
01-28-2010, 02:15 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

vCash: 500
I think I begrudge them because they HAVE Wheeler, as opposed to loathing them because they felt he would be a pretty good player for their team.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 07:53 PM
hbk

If Maloney does indeed decide to Mueller (and we can debate whether or not that is the right decision another time) he's going after an asset with upside. An asset that addresses a need.

Question then becomes - What do we need?

Well, we've been "educating" HF Posters for months about the quality of our blueline prospects (Summers, OEL, Goncharov, etc.) along with the abilities of Keith Yandle and a hopefully soonly signed Michalek. I would say we are not looking for another young d man UNLESS we are moving one of these assets in another move (or as part of a package with Mueller).

Ideally, we'd all like to see another Upshall type steal. We have to smile about that but realize that we can't be that fortunate every time. We're set to take advantage of someone who needs to peddle a soon to be RFA because they can't afford to re-up them at the end of the season. We can hope but we can't plan for it to occur.

Maloney isn't likely to deal him within the conference. Having Mueller explode offensively and bury you 4-6 times per year isn't something that GMDM is going to want to do. It all depends on the return but the preference is going to be to trade Mueller to the Eastern Conference.

So what does that mean?

We are looking for a potential top 6 forward or a future #1 goalie (Bryz is another year away from being a UFA himself).

Well Eklund already has 6 teams (33% of the league) associated with Phoenix and Mueller. Interesting that 5 of the 6 teams are from the Eastern Conference.

Some Candidates?

Here's my 10 second analysis as to that list.

Boston? Joe Colborne is a promising young big forward. With apologies to Chris Brown, one thing our forward prospect group lacks is size. He's intriguing but is he doesn't offer us anything that helps us achieve our playoff goal this year.

Buffalo? Drew Stafford is desirable but probably someone they are going to want to have for their playoff run. Kassian (Buf's first rounder) is another physical type player who is currently serving his 25 game suspension for a hit in the OHL. Same scenario as Colborne, he doesn't offer us anything to help us immediately take a shot at the playoffs.

Ottawa? Don't see much in terms of power forwards but Elliot is a promising young goalie.

Florida? Like Mueller, Matthias is a highly touted prospect who is struggling. Most likely fit that I see right now.

Montreal? Pacioretty?

Vancouver? The lone West coast team on Ek's list. Cory Schneider is a potential #1. Cody Hodgson hasn't played all year but he was the #1 top prospect a year ago. Canuck fans were drooling over him last year and I don't know if the back injury and pressure to make a run THIS season is enough to justify dealing him for 3 goal Peter Mueller. He's someone we'd ask about though even if it meant a "No Chance" response.

hbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 08:28 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'll just randomly throw out some names, without making proposals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk View Post
Boston?
I also like Caron and Sobotka a lot. Any way we could sweeten the pot and land Bergeron?
Quote:
Buffalo?
I am madly in love with Tyler Ennis. Clarke MacArthur is a hard working guy with twenty, twenty seasons in his future. IIRC Pominville's name has been floated around in rumors before.
Quote:
Ottawa?
Foligno might make some sense. Super hard working kid with some upside. Maybe few twenty, twenties in him.
Quote:
Florida?
Olesz is a good two way guy with consistent twenty, twenty upside. A.J. Jenks was quite impressive in the WJCs and is enjoying a break out in the OHL, this season. Probably not a top end NHLer, though. Same goes for Rust, who I also really like. Drew Shore was a popular name last draft.
Quote:
Montreal?
Other than Patches, there's Danny Kristo and not much else. Gabriel Dumont, I suppose. Maybe Ben Maxwell?
Quote:
Vancouver?
I hate his guts but maybe Steve Bernier? Sergei Shirokov? Jordan Schroeder, perhaps?

...again, I am just tossing out names that might be somewhat interesting.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 08:50 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Go after Frolik. Mueller plus PHX 1st.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 11:13 PM
ducky

Mueller should not be traded for a prospect.

ducky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-28-2010, 11:26 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky View Post
Mueller should not be traded for a prospect.
Believe me, I'm in the don't trade Mueller camp. I'm also in the tough love camp.

Depending on how badly Upshall is hurt after tonights game with Calgary, the fact is we desperately need Mueller to get over himself and put on his work boots. Hard work = success and for some reason Mueller seems to forget what made him truly successful in his rookie season. Doan, Jovo, and Aucoin need to take Mueller aside and have a chat about work ethic at this point. Now is the time for Mueller to make a statement.

Old
01-29-2010, 01:10 AM
PHX FireBirds18

Why are we putting all the pressure on a 21 year old Mueller? Yes the guy is sucking. Yes he has talent. Yes if he played to his potential, he would be helping this team immensely. I'm afraid we might be looking at a classic case of being rushed into the NHL to quickly. Sadly we can't send him down to the minors to get his confidence back. He won't get enough ice time to flourish at all. His rookie year he played a ton of minutes with Doan and had a great season. The second year he put on too much weight, and came into camp a step behind. To make matters worse, he got cheap shotted and suffered a concussion. That's what I worry about the most. The 3rd year, we get a new head coach that rewards consistency not potential. I like Mueller and I feel like he can get his game going eventually. Wether or not we are patient enough with him, I don't know. The names people are throwing around for him are very underwhelming. I'd rather watch him bust then see him traded in a deal similar to the Korpikoski/Lisin deal. Although I liked that particular trade.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 02:09 AM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Some people I've talked to say the Coyotes could offer up Mueller and a pick for Ray Whitney; whether or not thats a good idea or not is to be seen, considering that Whitney is older and we want young proven scorers not veterans who are retiring in 1-2 seasons. Honestly with Uppy's injury I would like the Coyotes to keep Mueller and try to send a prospect and pick to a seller team for a scorer, put him and Mueller on the same line and see if that sparks Mueller or not, however being a Pens fan I would love to see Mueller play RW on Malkin's line.

The question is what on the Pens not named Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Staal would the Coyotes be interested in. Considering that the Coyotes probably will trade Mueller in a deal for a scorer, Goligoski would be out then (Although he and Yandle would be two great offensive d-men for the future of the team). I don't see PHX being interested in Fedotenko or Talbot, plus the Pens would want to hold on to them as they are both clutch playoff guys. Dupuis is not really what PHX is looking for, Guerin is the same boat as a Whitney with age reasons. Obviously Kunitz is not an option unless Mueller + is sent and even then the Pens would probably say no. Mueller for prospects is not an option on the Coyotes side since they want a proven scorer for Mueller. The only guy I could see is Tyler Kennedy, but then the Pens would probably be adding to that, and the Pens don't really want to deal TK since the 3rd line is our most consistent in all 3 zones

in the end they probably are not good trade partners, however if the Coyotes get a scorer in a different deal, how would you feel if the Coyotes traded Mueller for Goligoski (maybe having to add a 3rd or something?)

Last edited by HockeyAndTheSox: 01-29-2010 at 02:16 AM.
HockeyAndTheSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 03:18 AM
yakko

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensteel71 View Post
Obviously Kunitz is not an option unless Mueller + is sent and even then the Pens would probably say no.
Thank goodness for that. I'd be disappointed to see Mueller traded straight up for Kunitz.

yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 04:58 AM
HockeyAndTheSox
Let's Go Pens&Yotes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakko View Post
Thank goodness for that. I'd be disappointed to see Mueller traded straight up for Kunitz.
As would I because Kunitz has a role in Pittsburgh and he is a playoff type player, maybe not so much on the scoring side, but physically, and he is a great linemate for Crosby.

HockeyAndTheSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 06:52 AM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pensteel71 View Post
Some people I've talked to say the Coyotes could offer up Mueller and a pick for Ray Whitney; whether or not thats a good idea or not is to be seen, considering that Whitney is older and we want young proven scorers not veterans who are retiring in 1-2 seasons. Honestly with Uppy's injury I would like the Coyotes to keep Mueller and try to send a prospect and pick to a seller team for a scorer, put him and Mueller on the same line and see if that sparks Mueller or not, however being a Pens fan I would love to see Mueller play RW on Malkin's line.

The question is what on the Pens not named Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, Staal would the Coyotes be interested in. Considering that the Coyotes probably will trade Mueller in a deal for a scorer, Goligoski would be out then (Although he and Yandle would be two great offensive d-men for the future of the team). I don't see PHX being interested in Fedotenko or Talbot, plus the Pens would want to hold on to them as they are both clutch playoff guys. Dupuis is not really what PHX is looking for, Guerin is the same boat as a Whitney with age reasons. Obviously Kunitz is not an option unless Mueller + is sent and even then the Pens would probably say no. Mueller for prospects is not an option on the Coyotes side since they want a proven scorer for Mueller. The only guy I could see is Tyler Kennedy, but then the Pens would probably be adding to that, and the Pens don't really want to deal TK since the 3rd line is our most consistent in all 3 zones

in the end they probably are not good trade partners, however if the Coyotes get a scorer in a different deal, how would you feel if the Coyotes traded Mueller for Goligoski (maybe having to add a 3rd or something?)
Mueller and a pick for Whitney will never happen. I can't see Phoenix completely abandoning their long-term strategy just to acquire the services of Ray Whitney for a 3 month period.

Old
01-29-2010, 07:37 AM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
I REALLY don't want to trade Mueller, but Little is a name that I could see something working out.

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 08:19 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

A lot of the names being bandied about in this thread aren't NHL-ready. If we're going to make a deal in a sellers market at the deadline, it's going to be for someone who helps us reach our goals this season.

I like one of Ponikarovsky or Stajan from the Leafs, but knowing Burke he's probably asking for too much at this point (i.e. first-round pick). Maybe we can entice him with a little testosterone/truculence in the form of Paul Bissonnette + a 2nd?

wpgyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 08:25 AM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Why not throw Hagman in there, too? He's older than the other two, but scores in bunches.. streaky, but if he's hot at the right time he may be a decent piece for us down the stretch.

Old
01-29-2010, 10:47 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddehJuS View Post
I REALLY don't want to trade Mueller, but Little is a name that I could see something working out.
I would trade Mueller for Little in an instant. I doubt Alanta would be all that interested.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post

I hate his guts but maybe Steve Bernier? Sergei Shirokov? Jordan Schroeder, perhaps?
What about Michael Grabner? He finally got a chance to play on a scoring line with Vancouver, alongside Raymond and Kesler, and looked great doing so before injuring himself while playing soccer prior to a game(doh!). I have no doubt that he's NHL ready right now, I just don't know if the Canucks will risk calling him up and putting him back on that line since they are playing great with Samuelsson right now. I think they'd also like a bit more size on the wing, which Mueller would provide.

Can't see Phoenix moving Mueller straight up for Grabner, but if they're looking for a scoring forward and Vancouver is interested in Mueller than Grabner could be a name bandied around.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

I think it's clear we all love Upshall and what he's brought to the team! I looked up the stats and found it interesting that he's on pace to match Mueller's rookie season. I'm not making some big statement, I just found that interesting. I will say this much, if they trade Peter they sure as hell better get someone back with just as high of upside!

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

I understand if people don't want to trade Mueller right now because his value is at an all-time low.

At this point in the season though, with all the opportunities he's been given despite his miserable production, blatently soft play on the ice, and never-ending amount of giveaways, blind passes towards the Coyotes defensive zone....I'm surprised anyone even wants him in the lineup.....especially considering he's not even one of the top 3 shootout choices anymore.

So fine don't trade him, unless there's a GM who is blinded by his rookie season and is willing to part with something based on his value his rookie year, but until them let him ride the pine, unless he's forced in by injuries.

Bissonette would have been a much better option last night against the Flames.

Devils Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 01:05 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Advocate View Post
I understand if people don't want to trade Mueller right now because his value is at an all-time low.

At this point in the season though, with all the opportunities he's been given despite his miserable production, blatently soft play on the ice, and never-ending amount of giveaways, blind passes towards the Coyotes defensive zone....I'm surprised anyone even wants him in the lineup.....especially considering he's not even one of the top 3 shootout choices anymore.

So fine don't trade him, unless there's a GM who is blinded by his rookie season and is willing to part with something based on his value his rookie year, but until them let him ride the pine, unless he's forced in by injuries.

Bissonette would have been a much better option last night against the Flames.
Yes, the way I see it the Korpikoski(Pyatt)/Lang/Mueller line is our weak link right now. Lang and Mueller are prone to defensive gaffes, and the line isn't producing enough to be considered a "scoring line" either. The other three units have their roles, but that Lang/Mueller connection simply hasn't produced. We could use an offensive spark to put with Lang, likely through trade. The Upshall injury makes this an even more pressing need.

Old
01-29-2010, 02:57 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

[QUOTE=pensteel71;23483885]Some people I've talked to say the Coyotes could offer up Mueller and a pick for Ray Whitney.QUOTE]

I hope that wasnt a serious trade proposal. Mueller >>>>>>>>>> Whitney. Mueller + pick for Whitney.... I'd do Little for Mueller.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-29-2010, 07:05 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
What about Michael Grabner? He finally got a chance to play on a scoring line with Vancouver, alongside Raymond and Kesler, and looked great doing so before injuring himself while playing soccer prior to a game(doh!). I have no doubt that he's NHL ready right now, I just don't know if the Canucks will risk calling him up and putting him back on that line since they are playing great with Samuelsson right now. I think they'd also like a bit more size on the wing, which Mueller would provide.

Can't see Phoenix moving Mueller straight up for Grabner, but if they're looking for a scoring forward and Vancouver is interested in Mueller than Grabner could be a name bandied around.
Honestly I wasn't a fan of Grabner when he played for the Vancouver Giants.

Old
01-29-2010, 07:27 PM
wpgyotes
Bye Bryz

Quote:
He turns it off and on in the AHL too.

Old
01-31-2010, 07:45 PM
knivez

Quote:
Well, there aren't many fans of Grabner as a Vancouver Giant, considering he's never played for them.

knivez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-31-2010, 07:53 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by knivez View Post
Well, there aren't many fans of Grabner as a Vancouver Giant, considering he's never played for them.
Yeah, I totally blew that one. I saw him play against the Vancouver Giants. Not sure why I thought he played for them. Regardless, I wasn't overly impressed.

Old
02-01-2010, 12:32 AM
AmericanDream
Wakey Wakey Davey!!

big night for Mueller.....i think you guys should keep him....but

if you don't want to keep him, how about Andrew Ladd for Mueller?? Ladd gives you a physical presence and some scoring that might help you out?? For the Hawks, who knows how well Bolland can come back from back surgery, so I would love to give Mueller a new home...

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote