HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Notices

Coyotes keeping Mueller; Looking for a top 6 forward and depth Dman before deadline?

Old
02-14-2010, 11:12 AM
Kaizen

vCash: 500
Ship Mueller to SA for the Olympic break on a conditioning stint.

Maybe a few games in the A will wake his ass up.

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:20 AM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizen View Post
It probably would... for a game or two.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:34 AM
knowsthegame

Based on Tippet's remarks in the presser last night, Muels is gone.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 11:51 AM
Rbenj

Quote:

I'm all for that, but I believe, something on his contract says he would need to clear waivers for him to play in the A. (not sure though)

Rbenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 12:22 PM
PHX FireBirds18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
A. He got traded for a 3rd rounder last year. Jackets fans want any type of pick since they have a surplus of d man.

B. If the Yotes want to survive they need a PP. Stralman helps that alot.
Yandle Aucoin Jovo Michalek > Stralman

I know you get excited about certain players, and some of your suggestions I like, but Stralman is not what this team needs.

PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 01:01 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:

Roster freeze started on the 12th, can't send him down. Besides he would have to go through waivers and despite all our kvetching he wouldn't clear.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 01:05 PM
pyregretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Roster freeze started on the 12th, can't send him down. Besides he would have to go through waivers and despite all our kvetching he wouldn't clear.
I'm pretty sure if he was sent down on a conditioning stint he would be waiver exempt. If he was just normally sent down he would be eligible to be claimed by another team though. It is all moot though he won't be sent down, he is either traded or staying with the Coyotes.

pyregretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 02:30 PM
Kaizen

That's my understanding - waivers wouldn't apply if it is a conditioning assignment. He's only been playing minimal minutes and has been scratched so "conditioning" is certainly applicable.

Boedker and Hoggan were assigned so I'm not sure the roster freeze is terribly applicable. Some other teams shipped some players down as well (Calgary re-assigning Backlund).

The idea certainly makes sense to me.

Kaizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:27 PM

Roster freeze only applies to trades, as previously noted with the Hoggan and Boedker demotions to the AHL.

Mueller could be sent on a conditioning stint, but he'd have to agree to it and he would not have to clear waivers but he would have a limit of 2 weeks in the AHL. If he didn't agree to a conditioning stint and the Coyotes demoted him to the AHL he would then have to clear waivers first. I'd love to see them broach that subject, but that's likely not something they would spring on him after the fact now.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 04:37 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Roster freeze only applies to trades, as previously noted with the Hoggan and Boedker demotions to the AHL.

Mueller could be sent on a conditioning stint, but he'd have to agree to it and he would not have to clear waivers but he would have a limit of 2 weeks in the AHL. If he didn't agree to a conditioning stint and the Coyotes demoted him to the AHL he would then have to clear waivers first. I'd love to see them broach that subject, but that's likely not something they would spring on him after the fact now.
Actually it doesn't only apply to trades. There is a restriction on which players can be demoted to the AHL. Reportedly the criteria is the player must not be subject to waivers or have played in 16 or more of the team's last 20 games. So Hoggan and Boedker can both be sent down.

On the conditioning stint thing, I'm not sure I recall a situation where a player was sent down on a conditioning stint except following a return from injury?

Old
02-14-2010, 05:36 PM
RR

Quote:
Actually it doesn't only apply to trades. There is a restriction on which players can be demoted to the AHL. Reportedly the criteria is the player must not be subject to waivers or have played in 16 or more of the team's last 20 games. So Hoggan and Boedker can both be sent down.

On the conditioning stint thing, I'm not sure I recall a situation where a player was sent down on a conditioning stint except following a return from injury?
Tonya Harding still have that lead pipe?

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 05:59 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowsthegame View Post
Based on Tippet's remarks in the presser last night, Muels is gone.
essplain

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 06:04 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Tonya Harding still have that lead pipe?
Nancy Kerrigren's brother out on bail?

Kidding!

I don't think Mueller playing in the AHL is going to make him blend more into a Tippett type player.
If anything the minors are more about making players able to play in the big leagues and Mueller has no problem playing in the NHL level as noticed by his rookie season.
I bet if he didn't have the system we have now Mueller would have put up numbers in between his 1st and 2nd season but then we would be competing(tanking) for Tyler Hall.

I still don't want him to go. Maybe when we have a cup contending core next season 88 scores those critical goals when everyone else is off their game.
Coyotes are 3-0-1 when he scores in a game this season.
Posted via Mobile Device

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the clarification, I admit I was paraphrasing the CBA off the top of my head.

I think earlier this year Nylander was sent to Grand Rapids of the AHL for a conditioning stint by the Capitals. I remember previous years where players in a similar status, who had not recently been injured, were sent on conditioning stints just to try to get a showing on the ice because they weren't playing in the NHL.

It's something that gets thrown around much more than it is common in the NHL that's for sure.

Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:07 PM
PHX FireBirds18

I never really do these, but with the Mueller to NY rumors earlier, I figured I would give it a shot. Kind of a big trade, but I can see these players doing well for us. How far off am I? I want Dubinsky to upgrade Lang, and Callahan to replace Upshalls game. We are really missing that 2nd effort in front of the net, these guys help us in that area.

To PHX: Mueller, Lang, Ross, Cgys 1st 2010

To NYR: Dubinsky, Callhan, Sauer

Callahan-Lombardi-Doan
Prucha-Hanzal-Vrbata
Biz-Fiddler-Winnik
Pyatt-Dubinsky-Korpikoski

Last edited by PHX FireBirds18: 02-14-2010 at 08:13 PM.
PHX FireBirds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 08:33 PM
RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
essplain
Don't think Tip's statement was that definitive, but it was strong. Talking about others need to step up and he named only one player specifically. And of Mueller he said, "At some point he's got to jump in and start doing something for us."

RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Prentice*

Based on Tippett's comments and Mueller's inability to contribute, Mueller needs a second chance, outside of this revised organization. Mueller appears to be a direct link to the poor play, inept coaching of the past. Adios, Muels.

Prentice* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 12:42 PM
AZduner

Quote:
Don't think Tip's statement was that definitive, but it was strong. Talking about others need to step up and he named only one player specifically. And of Mueller he said, "At some point he's got to jump in and start doing something for us."
I find it hilarious that Tippett calls out Mueller. Has he not seen Robert Lang play? Oh that's right we paid millions for his "veteran leadership" so his lazy play gets a pass. Double standards. Also the key word here is "PLAY" he can't start doing something if he doesn't get the ice time.

Oh well. I'm sure Pete is gone by deadline. Just as well since it has been painfully obvious that he hasn't fit into to Tip's system from the get go. I just hope that we can find someone who fills the obvious gaps/holes in the system. We can't blame the PP on Pete since he never plays on it. We can't blame our lack of score on Pete because he avg 8 min a game. We can't blame our D on Pete.... We can critize Mueller all we want - but what will we do when he is gone and the gaps are still there? Who will be our next whipping boy??

AZduner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:48 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Tippett's BFF Quenville recently benched Kris Versteeg and called him out in the media.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 01:58 PM
kingbrutis

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZduner View Post
I find it hilarious that Tippett calls out Mueller. Has he not seen Robert Lang play? Oh that's right we paid millions for his "veteran leadership" so his lazy play gets a pass. Double standards. Also the key word here is "PLAY" he can't start doing something if he doesn't get the ice time.

Oh well. I'm sure Pete is gone by deadline. Just as well since it has been painfully obvious that he hasn't fit into to Tip's system from the get go. I just hope that we can find someone who fills the obvious gaps/holes in the system. We can't blame the PP on Pete since he never plays on it. We can't blame our lack of score on Pete because he avg 8 min a game. We can't blame our D on Pete.... We can critize Mueller all we want - but what will we do when he is gone and the gaps are still there? Who will be our next whipping boy??
He deserves what he is getting. He doesn't deserve more than 8 min a night. Bissonette has 1/10 of Mulls talent, but that guy plays hard every single shift. If Mulls was blocking shots, back checking hard, being somewhat physical, ect.., he wouldnt be in the dog house. He doesn't shoot, he doesn't make great passes, he doesn't play D. Why should he get any ice time?

They guy has great hands but is too slow to create his own shot and we have no real setup guys to get open and feed him the puck. If he was playing with Thorton, he might score 40. We dont have that, so he is not contributing to the team in a big positive way. Sad to say, but if we can get a very good finisher, Muller, 1st, and prospect, please GMDM DO IT!!!!!!!

kingbrutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 02:15 PM
PhoPhan

What if the Coyotes could get a top notch playmaker who can help Mueller actualize his talent, and they can do it without breaking the bank (a 2nd and a mid-tier prospect rather than a 1st and a top end guy)?

They don't owe anything to Mueller, but they owe it to themselves to try to get the most out of his abilities, and I think this is the better way to do it.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 02:17 PM
knowsthegame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZduner View Post

I don't know what game you're watching, but Lang at 39 yrs of age is much more effective offensively and defensively than Mueller. He is earning 1 mil for 1 year, which is LESS than what Mueller is earning.
If he can't work under the system he is not coachable.

knowsthegame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 02:37 PM
kingbrutis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
What if the Coyotes could get a top notch playmaker who can help Mueller actualize his talent, and they can do it without breaking the bank (a 2nd and a mid-tier prospect rather than a 1st and a top end guy)?

They don't owe anything to Mueller, but they owe it to themselves to try to get the most out of his abilities, and I think this is the better way to do it.
Very True. Boston has been on a big slide, think if they fall further they would part with Savard? Thats the guy who comes to mind who could feed the puck.

kingbrutis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-15-2010, 04:02 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbrutis View Post
Very True. Boston has been on a big slide, think if they fall further they would part with Savard? Thats the guy who comes to mind who could feed the puck.
Not a chance, especially after they just signed him to that extension.

Old
02-15-2010, 04:33 PM
BuddehJuS

Send a message via AIM to BuddehJuS
Quote:
A little more than that sentence was said. A reporter asked something along the lines of what keys do you see maintaining the success the team has had. Prior, Tippett said, "We could use some more production from people like Mueller." By just posting that sentence,it makes it seem a little worse than it actually was.

BuddehJuS is offline   Reply With Quote