HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Another loss; this time in OT

Old
01-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Penner, i would expect this from because he has a "i don't give a crap" personality but Souray i'm disappointed in although that can be partly attributed to him recovering from his concussion.
Nah, his initiating concession on the no trade clause combined with his effort, demeanor, and on ice expression make it completely clear he just at some point stopped giving a **** here.

From a player/agent pov its clear that this weaksauce club and lack of shutdown pair is brutally exposing Souray and exposing himself to opposition he just can't handle.

From the Souray camp Its likely not in his best interests to continue to be here.

Even rats know when to get off of the sinking ship.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:35 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Nah, his initiating concession on the no trade clause combined with his effort, demeanor, and on ice expression make it completely clear he just at some point stopped giving a **** here.

From a player/agent pov its clear that this weaksauce club and lack of shutdown pair is brutally exposing Souray and exposing himself to opposition he just can't handle.

From the Souray camp Its likely not in his best interests to continue to be here.

Even rats know when to get off of the sinking ship.

Yeah but don't you think that's a slap in the face of the Oilers organization for Souray to tank it and lower his trade value, he always seemed to have more integrity than that.
I'm thinking that it could be that he's just timid since the concussion, remember he had it pretty bad with all the headaches etc.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:38 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Yeah but don't you think that's a slap in the face of the Oilers organization for Souray to tank it and lower his trade value, he always seemed to have more integrity than that.
I'm thinking that it could be that he's just timid since the concussion, remember he had it pretty bad with all the headaches etc.
It's entirely possible Souray asked for a trade at the end of last season when it was an issue in the media and the team has done nothing to accommodate him thinking this sorry lineup had a chance at the playoffs.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:42 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Really I think his integrity in the form of commitment to all round game is overrated.

Souray was perfectly content being a one dimensional player with a shotgun from the point and rode that in Montreal and to his contract here.

He got 5.5M longterm without being anything near a shutdown D. He's a 3-4 D ideally and a very expensive one at that.

Souray could be part of a reasonable first pair if we had someone very good in own end to pair him with..

Again an oversight.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:46 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Really I think his integrity in the form of commitment to all round game is overrated.

Souray was perfectly content being a one dimensional player with a shotgun from the point and rode that in Montreal and to his contract here.

He got 5-5M longterm without being anything near a shutdown D. He's a 3-4 D ideally and a very expensive one at that.

Souray could be part of a reasonable first pair if we had someone very good in own end to pair him with..

Again an oversight.

I disagree with this, remember Souray came into the league as a defensive defenseman so he worked hard on his offensive game and became an offensive defenseman.
Also, when healthy, he was not a one dimensional defenseman in his stay here, he played very well defensively last year and was an All Star, he's a legit top pairing guy WHEN HEALTHY and was regarded by many people as a top 15-20 defenseman in the entire league.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:19 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Of course it's a slap in the face, and most certainly he's been known for more integrity.

Which leads one to suspect that something else was/is going on behind the scenes. As much as he's publicly come out in the media stating his ok-ness (willingness?) to play out his contract, if he's been hoping for a move and has come to sense that Tambo isn't so interested in making it, I guess you'd think that one of his options might be to initiate a deal through apathetic play. Yes, it can't help but reduce his trade value, but perhaps it is a subtle way of forcing Tambellini's hand?

Shame if that's the case, but we all know that odd things go on behind the scenes around this franchise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
It's entirely possible Souray asked for a trade at the end of last season when it was an issue in the media and the team has done nothing to accommodate him thinking this sorry lineup had a chance at the playoffs.
That might be where the integrity (at the time, anyway) had come in - maybe he DID want out but he didn't want to screw the organization as so many others recently have. There might have been a knowing nod and wink from Souray to Tambo, and he's now showing his discontentment that it has yet to happen. An assumption that there was a message sent, when now there's doubt that the message was properly received.

He's often been "credited" as intense when considering the face he wears on the ice. Y'know, the Oilers score and Gagner virtually bounces out of his jolly jumper, Smid flashes the toothless grin, and Souray stands there stone-faced?

There's been plenty of reason to explain that as reflecting a player that is simply pissed at the showing of the team and who won't get all excited until there's good reason to do so. Some have referred to it as "leadership", demonstrating to teammates that there is much more work to be done.

Maybe it's just been a growing sense of apathy or indifference after all? Yes, he had the concussion and it can take some time to return to the player you once were. But a combination of his body language, (lack of) intensity, and points seem to suggest there's more to it.

It's nice of him to not want to expose us to ridicule in the media once again, but perhaps it's time for him and Tambo to have (another?) a cloak 'n dagger meeting to discuss his future. One thing's for certain: my wife would be devastated.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote