HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laraque to be Bought Out by Habs

Old
01-21-2010, 10:38 AM
ppil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjell Dahlin View Post
Too bad; the Habs are in dire need of grits and size upfront and I still think that Martin misused him (only one 12 seconds shift in the 3rd) against the Rangers; especially when the score was 5-2, 6-2 in the 3rd against a conference rival that was playing the intimidation card.
Martin sent him on the ice right after the useless stick to face of Markov from Vorros and the Georges vs Avery fight.

Laraque had one thing to do and it was his enforcer's job. Go out there and show them that if they want to go that way, there will be consequences. Forget about the puck, that isn't your job right now, your job is to make sure that they won't do that again.

What happened? Laraque couldn't follow the play, gave like one little late hit, didn't talk to anyone, went back to the bench. That's why he didn't play in the third...

He gave us some good fair boxing matches, but never helped the habs in any way.

Good move by Gainey to get rid of his mistakes.

ppil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:39 AM
CastroLeRobot
Hab-a-bouille

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolore#20 View Post
Overall, I think this is a good move by the Canadiens as Laraque has not fully fulfilled his on-ice end of the contract that was signed. Unfortunately, it seems like his body has broken down and injuries have really limited his effectiveness.

I also think that Georges Laraque's response is not that surprising. Refreshingly, he is one of the most honest and open players in the game, and that quality is something that I have always appreciated about Georges. Certainly, he must be upset and disappointed with what has transpired. It must be even more difficult considering what is going on with his family in Haiti at the present time. Furthermore, he must have felt that the goal he scored last week was a sign that things would turn around. His frustration is completely understandable.

I just hope that Georges realizes (and acknowledges) that he is no longer an NHL regular, and comes to understand the Habs decision in the coming days. I think even without an NHL contract, he will continue to be an ambassador for the game of hockey across Canada, and will continue to be in the public eye for outstanding charitable efforts. I wish him the very best.
Best post of the Thread. People don't understand that players that get angry of being let go (Latendresse, Rivet, Ribeiro, Laraque...) are angry because they wanted to stay. They don't "hate" the team, quite the contrary.

Good luck big guy. It's sad injuries got the better of you. I wish we had you 3-4 years ago.

CastroLeRobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppil View Post
Martin sent him on the ice right after the useless stick to face of Markov from Vorros and the Georges vs Avery fight.

Laraque had one thing to do and it was his enforcer's job. Go out there and show them that if they want to go that way, there will be consequences. Forget about the puck, that isn't your job right now, your job is to make sure that they won't do that again.

What happened? Laraque couldn't follow the play, gave like one little late hit, didn't talk to anyone, went back to the bench. That's why he didn't play in the third...

He gave us some good fair boxing matches, but never helped the habs in any way.

Good move by Gainey to get rid of his mistakes.
How many more will Molson endure...

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

So let's see, how many players from last year are left on the team?

Pleks
Andrei
Lappy
Metro
D'ago
PaxMan
Sergei

Markov
Gorges
Hamrlik
O'Byrne

Price
Halak

Who thinks there's enough time left before the end of the season to get rid of the rest of last year's team?

This summer I simply thought that Bob "expect the unexpected" Gainey made some dumbass moves with the Gomez & Gionta transactions. Now I realize he has lost it. I don't think he's playing with a full roster.

We'll continue to pay Laraques but told him to go home. How does this help in any way? Was Gainey astounded by D'arche's magnificent play last night? Was he surprised by O'Byrne's hidden talents as a forward? Are we so jam packed on our forward lines that we need to release players?

True, Georges was not contributing but letting him go home? Laraque is wrong. It's not a classless move. It's another dumb move by Gainey.

We really need to remove this man from his job pronto. Give him the rest of the season and he might make Mike Milbury look good.

Yeah, Bob! Cutting Georges was the move needed to get you into the playoffs.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Le depisteur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
How many more will Molson endure...
How many he did with them?

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le depisteur View Post
How many he did with them?
Well true as they weren't really in charge last summer but there are some horrible contracts given out by Bob

Old
01-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 0
I love how people are bashing Gainey with this.

Most people were happy we signed Laraque (ignoring his overpayment) when it happened two summers ago. No one knew he'd really **** the bed the way he did.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
Ok now it's official, the Habs management have thrown in the towel, with the release of Laraque the Habs are looking to the future. To release this player at such a tight race for the final playoff spot means we are tanking the season. I am sure a cup contending team will grab him within a couple hours.
Was your entire post sarcastic?

If not, is releasing a player with zero impact on the ice, and most probably a negative impact off of the ice the sign of a team throwing in the towel? Maybe it is a sign of a team trying to "right the ship."

People here are too easy to just say "tank the season." there are a lot of people and sponsors who have paid good money to watch the habs and be a part of their marketing machine. Tanking a season is something you can do in an emtpy rink, with sponsors that pay cents on the dollar for their partnerships.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
davenash

Great news to start the day.

davenash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Le depisteur

Quote:
Well true as they weren't really in charge last summer but there are some horrible contracts given out by Bob
Which?

Le depisteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
People will take what they can get.

I also like how getting rid of a deadweight no-talent lump like Laraque is being put on the same level as the Roy trade.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Analyzer

vCash: 50
Quote:
Like ?

You do know you have to spend a little extra to attract people to Montréal.

As long as he gets a tough guy soon, it's a good move. Or else we'll be slapped around by pretty much everyone.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Jody Shelley = Alex Ovechkin
Which indicates that nittany = troll?

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:46 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:

Most people were happy we signed Laraque (ignoring his overpayment) when it happened two summers ago. No one knew he'd really **** the bed the way he did.
Wasn't Gainey the one who said many times to the media that we didn't need a goon the previous year when we were 1st?Who else is to blame?There are others goons in the league that don't get paid 1.5 million and actually do their job

Old
01-21-2010, 10:47 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Wasn't Gainey the one who said many times to the media that we didn't need a goon the previous year when we were 1st?Who else is to blame?There are others goons in the league that don't get paid 1.5 million and actually do their job
And most people thought Laraque was the "top heavyweight" in the league when we signed him.

So yeah.

Old
01-21-2010, 10:48 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Which indicates that nittany = troll?
Man that is so hurtful...

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:50 AM
GoodKiwi

Well, so much for a bounce-back season for George many here were hoping for!

GoodKiwi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Analyzer

vCash: 50
Quote:
And most people thought Laraque was the "top heavyweight" in the league when we signed him.

So yeah.
By most, you mean practically everyone ?

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NHLcrazy

Gainey offered Laraque a leave of absence to help his family, Laraque said he didn't need one and now he says the Habs are classless??????

wow

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Like ?

You do know you have to spend a little extra to attract people to Montréal.

As long as he gets a tough guy soon, it's a good move. Or else we'll be slapped around by pretty much everyone.
The Gomez trade was horrible.Gionta and Cammalleri are good signings and yes we may not have gotten Gionta without Gomez but he could have kept Kovalev in worse case.

Spacek at almost 4 million a year for 3 years when we have some guys that are almost ready to play like PK,Weber who was good last year and could have gotten a chance. Hall Gill same reasons and look we make space for Gill but play O'Byrne on offence and then cry that we cannot develop players

Anyways that's just my opinion I think it's time for a change and Bob needs to go,but that's just my opinion

Old
01-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
By most, you mean practically everyone ?
That's what most means, yes.

Old
01-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Gainey Press Conference live now!

http://www.rds.ca/direct/

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Good start.

Now get rid of some more...

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gusfring

Quote:
The Gomez trade was horrible.Gionta and Cammalleri are good signings and yes we may not have gotten Gionta without Gomez but he could have kept Kovalev in worse case.

Spacek at almost 4 million a year for 3 years when we have some guys that are almost ready to play like PK,Weber who was good last year and could have gotten a chance. Hall Gill same reasons and look we make space for Gill but play O'Byrne on offence and then cry that we cannot develop players

Anyways that's just my opinion I think it's time for a change and Bob needs to go,but that's just my opinion
Totally agree. The vaunted 5 year plan did not work - this one isn't working either. Clearly.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habs24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
I'd take two defencemen on a line over BGL anyday. The two D-men can at least move.

I'd like to see Ryan White get called up. I was very impressed with his sandpaper and work ethic earlier in the season.
Did you see OB trying to play forward last night?

Will White's "work ethic/sandpaper" beat up Jannsen the next time he runs Price?

habs24 is offline   Reply With Quote