HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

1/21/10 What is your reaction to last night's results

View Poll Results: What is your reaction to last night's game?
That was too close to a win, not happy 21 26.58%
It was close to a win, I'm happy 9 11.39%
That should make some people happy 3 3.80%
it should help the morale of the players 5 6.33%
It was an entertaining game 19 24.05%
I told you, I'm not watching anymore 2 2.53%
Meh, it was another 09/10 Oilers game 11 13.92%
other, please explain 9 11.39%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old
01-21-2010, 01:23 PM
Teddy Peckman

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Teddy Peckman
Reading the comments about the new arena on the Journal article about Bettman coming here... it just reminds me of how people really are short sighted and don't see the big big picture of what a new arena brings. It kind of makes me wonder if half of those people have even been out of Edmonton and seen some other cities.

Teddy Peckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:32 PM
elpol
Re-Registered User

interesting that nobody seems to have made mention of the fact that league brass were at the game - they would've witnessed first-hand that travesty called officiating.

Even the announcers on Vancouver's Team 1040 were still talking about the Oilers getting shafted. Not just on the call against Grebs either.

Oh, and thanks for the reads, Bluebelle!

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:59 PM
CDA

The refs talk amoungst themselves: "Pisani claims he got a stick in the face. ehh he's probably lying. Oh but look he's bleeding from the place he claims he got the stick in the face all of a sudden, maybe it did happen. What we really need to see is an admission of guilt from Sedin before we make the call. Oh look, Sedin just tapped Pisani on the shin pads. That must be just a pat on the back for overcoming the colitis. Play on."

And then Quinn and DeBrusk didn't even make a big deal about it.

Was the league giving Vancouver a series of make up calls? Bad Auger is the Oilers problem some how?

CDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:03 PM
BlueBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by erixon View Post
Reading the comments about the new arena on the Journal article about Bettman coming here... it just reminds me of how people really are short sighted and don't see the big big picture of what a new arena brings. It kind of makes me wonder if half of those people have even been out of Edmonton and seen some other cities.
I completely agree with you here! In my quest to see the Oil play in all of the other arenas I've gotten to see just how good some of the other fans have it. I've seen arenas that seem to be in the middle of nowhere (I'm looking at you Florida) and plenty of arenas downtown. I think that Edmontonians and Oilers fans are missing out right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpol View Post
interesting that nobody seems to have made mention of the fact that league brass were at the game - they would've witnessed first-hand that travesty called officiating.

Even the announcers on Vancouver's Team 1040 were still talking about the Oilers getting shafted. Not just on the call against Grebs either.

Oh, and thanks for the reads, Bluebelle!
You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDA View Post
The refs talk amoungst themselves: "Pisani claims he got a stick in the face. ehh he's probably lying. Oh but look he's bleeding from the place he claims he got the stick in the face all of a sudden, maybe it did happen. What we really need to see is an admission of guilt from Sedin before we make the call. Oh look, Sedin just tapped Pisani on the shin pads. That must be just a pat on the back for overcoming the colitis. Play on."

And then Quinn and DeBrusk didn't even make a big deal about it.

Was the league giving Vancouver a series of make up calls? Bad Auger is the Oilers problem some how?
But even that would open up a whole other issue right? Suddenly then you have another team crying out about injustice. This is getting ridiculous however.

BlueBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:05 PM
deanmoriarty

I was happy with the effort, the boys were actually skating. If they can play entertaining hockey while continuing to lose I will be a happy fan.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:06 PM
BlueBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
I was happy with the effort, the boys were actually skating. If they can play entertaining hockey while continuing to lose I will be a happy fan.
That's all I want too. I was trying to describe that to some people here at work today. I said I would like them to score goals, but lose games. I think that that is fair to ask.

Old
01-21-2010, 02:09 PM
BlueBelle

twitter
Quote:
dantencer I'm getting tons of e-mails, media requests etc. out of Vancouver today. Apparently, I'm not loved there today after my comments last night.
Laraque Finished In Montreal
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2010/0...d-in-montreal/

The Oilers habit of giving up goals due to positioning
http://www.coppernblue.com/2010/1/21...t-of-giving-up

who needs Robbie Schremp? - Omark video to make you smile
http://www.coppernblue.com/

Old
01-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBelle View Post
I completely agree with you here! In my quest to see the Oil play in all of the other arenas I've gotten to see just how good some of the other fans have it. I've seen arenas that seem to be in the middle of nowhere (I'm looking at you Florida) and plenty of arenas downtown. I think that Edmontonians and Oilers fans are missing out right now.
Florida's arena isn't exactly in the middle of noewhere ala Phoenix. It is right next to one of the busiest shopping centers in Ft. Lauderdale and probably the state of Florida.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:16 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
twitter
Laraque Finished In Montreal
http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2010/0...d-in-montreal/

The Oilers habit of giving up goals due to positioning
http://www.coppernblue.com/2010/1/21...t-of-giving-up

who needs Robbie Schremp? - Omark video to make you smile
http://www.coppernblue.com/
What were Tencers comments?

Old
01-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Everest

There was a game last night?

I went to practice.

<<<<By the way...I got a team I think the Oilers should try on for size.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:23 PM
BlueBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
Florida's arena isn't exactly in the middle of noewhere ala Phoenix. It is right next to one of the busiest shopping centers in Ft. Lauderdale and probably the state of Florida.
Ah, but that's it. It not near a lot of people's work, its not near a lot of hotels, or restaurants. For me I equate it to putting WEM in Nisku (of course I realize the malls are different) and then building the Oilers arena across the street. If I didn't have the rental car it would have cost me $75 each way in cabs like it did for that horrible flames fan that sat next to me but was staying in downtown Miami. There was no LRT, I didn't see many busses... That was just the way I saw it.

Quote:
What were Tencers comments?
I'm still looking for them. I hoped that someone who knew what Dan was talking about would mention something.

Old
01-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Ah, but that's it. It not near a lot of people's work, its not near a lot of hotels, or restaurants. For me I equate it to putting WEM in Nisku (of course I realize the malls are different) and then building the Oilers arena across the street. If I didn't have the rental car it would have cost me $75 each way in cabs like it did for that horrible flames fan that sat next to me but was staying in downtown Miami. There was no LRT, I didn't see many busses... That was just the way I saw it.

I'm still looking for them. I hoped that someone who knew what Dan was talking about would mention something.
Isn't the american way a motorized vehicle? I understand what you mean. To me the middle of no where is Phoenix.

Old
01-21-2010, 02:28 PM
elpol
Re-Registered User

Quote:
I haven't lived in Edmonton for about 25 years. I travel quite a bit, as I'm sure others who post do: Whenever I'm back there, it always strikes me at how slowly the city seems to evolve, compared to so many other cities. Maybe too much pondering of the ol' belly-button. Part of growing up is learning how to take more risks - Edmonton as a city would do well to take more risks (meaning development and infrastructure) - btw, I definitely dig the Edmonton Intl Airport! Sure took a long time to get there though.

The new arena doesn't have to be a big boogeyman - A smart development of commercial/residential will be an boon for the city on so many levels - psyche definitely being one.

Sorry for the side-bar: I don't wish to hi-jack this thread into another Arena-debate thread.

elpol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:29 PM
BlueBelle

Quote:
Isn't the american way a motorized vehicle? I understand what you mean. To me the middle of no where is Phoenix.
Gotcha! Well I will report back on Phoenix when I get back from that trip. I think it's two and a half weeks away. Pretty sure that the Honda and Staples Centres will be good. So far my favourite might still be the Dallas arena, followed by Chicago, but thats of what I've seen so far.

Old
01-21-2010, 02:30 PM
Finger Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcote97 View Post
I hit other. A loss to the Canucks (especially in OT) is like kissing your sister. Im mad as hell!
I thought we agreed you'd stay away from my sister. Don't make me send Laraque out there, I hear he's grumpy right now.

Finger Post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:31 PM
BlueBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpol View Post
I haven't lived in Edmonton for about 25 years. I travel quite a bit, as I'm sure others who post do: Whenever I'm back there, it always strikes me at how slowly the city seems to evolve, compared to so many other cities. Maybe too much pondering of the ol' belly-button. Part of growing up is learning how to take more risks - Edmonton as a city would do well to take more risks (meaning development and infrastructure) - btw, I definitely dig the Edmonton Intl Airport! Sure took a long time to get there though.

The new arena doesn't have to be a big boogeyman - A smart development of commercial/residential will be an boon for the city on so many levels - psyche definitely being one.

Sorry for the side-bar: I don't wish to hi-jack this thread into another Arena-debate thread.
I don't see it as a thread hi-jack because we had a couple of news stories and blogs referring to a new arena. I think you have valid points too, and its funny but its things some have been saying for a while.

Old
01-21-2010, 02:36 PM
HFPM

Send a message via MSN to HFPM
Didn't watch, didn't care.

HFPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:40 PM
TigerWoo

I will never be mad at tencer again. He ABSOLUTELY ROASTED AND CUT UP the Canucks Org last night. I was actually shocked.

I can't tell you word for word, but he said stuff like 'Whiniest organization" "Burrows is the face of what that organization is" etc. 'For an organization thats never won a thing, they sure like to whine a lot"

There was more.

Looks like the vancouver media are crying about tencer now haha. First Ron M and now tencer.

TigerWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:40 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilers View Post
I still find it funny that Pisani gets a stick in the face causing a cut and acts less injured than when a Canuck gets a jersey lightly held. "Did my jersey just get lightly pulled? Oh, my GAWD MEDIC, MEDIC! Oh the humanity" *lays on the ice* "Ref I just wanna say ..tell my wife and kids I'm going to miss them *cough* It's getting dark in here..*closes eyes* *opens one eye*.."did we get a PP yet? "
Classic.

I dont care what happens anymore, I just want Taylor Hall. Its nice to see some good performances ie Gagner and defensively Horcoff and that whole line really did a good job of shutting downt the Sedin line. DD was very good too. I hope he gets the lion's share of starts. JDD just isnt good enough.

Last edited by I am the Liquor: 01-21-2010 at 02:55 PM.
I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Grinderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornado88 View Post
I chose other. The reffing last night made me very upset, especially the OT call. Absolutely pathetic. I hate losing to the Canucks, but to lose like that makes me especially angry.
Exactly right, Tornado88. I chose Other for the exact same reason, only #1 comes close but I didn't quite get what is "coming too close to winning". To me it is to deserve to win and get hosed by the officials. To get a Bettman Point with Bettman himself in the building only adds insult to injury.

Grinderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 03:41 PM
BlueBelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinderman View Post
Exactly right, Tornado88. I chose Other for the exact same reason, only #1 comes close but I didn't quite get what is "coming too close to winning". To me it is to deserve to win and get hosed by the officials. To get a Bettman Point with Bettman himself in the building only adds insult to injury.
Sigh, sorry I do try my best to come up with some creative yet representitive options. I know the effort is appreciated so I'm not taking it as an insult.

So you don't want Georges here I take it?

Old
01-21-2010, 03:42 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF99 View Post
I will never be mad at tencer again. He ABSOLUTELY ROASTED AND CUT UP the Canucks Org last night. I was actually shocked.

I can't tell you word for word, but he said stuff like 'Whiniest organization" "Burrows is the face of what that organization is" etc. 'For an organization thats never won a thing, they sure like to whine a lot"

There was more.

Looks like the vancouver media are crying about tencer now haha. First Ron M and now tencer.
Sounds epic. I might start to tune into a show like that, depending on if he ditches the "Don't complain about Horcoff because Gagner's the one who really suxors" schtick.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 03:49 PM
TigerWoo

I forgot Stauffer adding in, "They are are an arrogant and cocky group" lol

TigerWoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 03:53 PM
battlegoon

I like that Devans playing well... Its so hard to cheer against him so I was pretty sad that we couldnt pull out a win

Please take Devan out of net now... He might ruin the fall...

battlegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOF99 View Post
I forgot Stauffer adding in, "They are are an arrogant and cocky group" lol
Try living amongst them.

A few years back I asked one bandwagoner who their goalie was: "...Cloutier?".

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote