HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laraque Bought Out By Habs

Old
01-21-2010, 11:11 AM
27theROCK

vCash: 500
Yeah Big George is done. He could have been more and still could be usefull if he liked his role but thats not the case. He was made useless by his own honor code where he would only fight top fighters... if they would ask him.

GL was so tough that no one wanted to fight him and he wasnt intense enough to make someone have to step up.

His time is done but he will have an amazing after career and would be shocked if the Oilers brought him back as a PR guy.

27theROCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:31 AM
theoil

Let me guess that it was the event in Haiti that finally ended Georges career.

I would be willing to bet 25 cents that his rather tenuous focus on hockey totally disappeared with the news of this tragedy and that he was becoming a distraction to the team as a result. This tipped the balance from being useless to being harmful to the team.

I understand that the math did like him though.

theoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoil View Post

I would be willing to bet 25 cents that his rather tenuous focus on hockey totally disappeared with the news of this tragedy and that he was becoming a distraction to the team as a result. This tipped the balance from being useless to being harmful to the team.

That's certainly a possibility. I do think BG will be in back in the NHL next year though, and if I had guess a team, the Oilers would be first on my list. BTW, they could keep both BG and Storts.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:44 AM
copperandblue

Quote:

I don't know about that. I recall last season when the Habs were in town it was right around the time that Laraque was having problems with his back. On the pre game show Stauffer was talking about his injury in a much more serious light than we were hearing about in the more main stream media. At that point he was saying that it was serious enough that it was career threatening and that it was almost certain that he would never be completely healthy. When it come sto Laraque, Stauffer is probably the most conencted guy out there.

Given the job that Laraque has, honour code or not, and the manner in which he carries it out, alot of grappling involved, I gotta wonder if the guy is just broken down.

It's a crappy way to go out but I am sure he will land a cushy gig somewhere in Edmonton now that it's over.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:48 AM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
I don't know about that. I recall last season when the Habs were in town it was right around the time that Laraque was having problems with his back. On the pre game show Stauffer was talking about his injury in a much more serious light than we were hearing about in the more main stream media. At that point he was saying that it was serious enough that it was career threatening and that it was almost certain that he would never be completely healthy. When it come sto Laraque, Stauffer is probably the most conencted guy out there.

Given the job that Laraque has, honour code or not, and the manner in which he carries it out, alot of grappling involved, I gotta wonder if the guy is just broken down.

It's a crappy way to go out but I am sure he will land a cushy gig somewhere in Edmonton now that it's over.
It is the timing that makes me think this. I can recall that it was GL's focus on everything but hockey that drove MacT crazy in the end as well. There is no reason to tell a guy to stay away if he isn't causing problems in the room. Just make him the 13th guy and show him where the popcorn machine is.

Old
01-21-2010, 11:53 AM
copperandblue

Quote:
It is the timing that makes me think this. I can recall that it was GL's focus on everything but hockey that drove MacT crazy in the end as well. There is no reason to tell a guy to stay away if he isn't causing problems in the room. Just make him the 13th guy and show him where the popcorn machine is.
Yeah I can't say I understand why the word had to come down today, but at the same time didn't Stauffer pose the question of what the fans thought of Laraque coming back to the Oilers because it appeared the Habs were going to buy him out prior to all the Haiti stuff?

If anything, on the ice Laraque appeared appeared more motivated after the earthquake than before.

Old
01-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Lummer20

Never been mean enuff.

Lummer20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:25 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperandblue View Post
Yeah I can't say I understand why the word had to come down today, but at the same time didn't Stauffer pose the question of what the fans thought of Laraque coming back to the Oilers because it appeared the Habs were going to buy him out prior to all the Haiti stuff?

If anything, on the ice Laraque appeared appeared more motivated after the earthquake than before.
Meh. Laraque is the only Oiler I have ever felt intense dislike for - present or former - so my views on him are always coloured by that. I will never forgive him for being the guy who convinced me that you can be too stupid to play hockey.

Old
01-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Laraque is terrible and wasted his nhl talent. He can now concentrate on being the radio personality he has always wanted to be.

And what would that be? Good interviews about himself?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:32 PM
copperandblue

Quote:
Meh. Laraque is the only Oiler I have ever felt intense dislike for - present or former - so my views on him are always coloured by that.
Really? But there are so many to choose from.

Old
01-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Shizuka

I'll add my voice that says no thanks to him coming here as a roster addition. Yeah he is tough, arguably one of the toughest fighters in the league, but his game is marginalized and hampered by his code of 'fighting ethics' i.e. only fighting by appointment, no spontaneity, etc. and his lack of playing ability. There is more efficacy to Stortini's game because he is a heavyweight pest, and he can actually catch guys with hits. Will he neutralize the real heavies on other teams? Not a chance, but you can limit those guys by simply exposing their weaknesses with good play.

You can bet Stauffer will be on this though.

Shizuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:47 PM
hockeychild99

This reeks of Brashear and Tremblay...

hockeychild99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:53 PM
Trizent

Katz was personally involved with the Georges contract talks a couple years back and offered him an additional year to the contract that Habs had offered. BIG TIME MISTAKE that we lucked out of. Let's not revisit Georges to Edm and if it happens, you know it was Katz pulling strings not management. Georges is a good citizen, but it's over.

Gainey nails the Georges issue on tsn.ca - (paraphrased) I am not sure what Georges code is, but I think the code is, these are your teammates that you are here for. http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip257990#clip257990 This specific quote is at 1:40+

Trizent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Dazed and Confused

I don't know, if they agreed to take Moreau back...

Dazed and Confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Squeeks, you still gonna post on here even after you take off to Calgary? You gotta come around once in a while for a donair at Maina's too.

As for Laraque this scares me that he might become an Oiler.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:44 PM
Red Deer Rebel

If Georges were to come back to the Oilers, it would obviously be part of a larger deal where he is a throw-in. Georges has negative value, and the Habs would consider it a positive thing if he were to be deleted from their system.

According to Gregor, the Oilers are looking to add a defenseman with size. Perhaps the Habs would be interested in somebody like Nilsson.

Nilsson for Laraque + D prospect.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
If Georges were to come back to the Oilers, it would obviously be part of a larger deal where he is a throw-in. Georges has negative value, and the Habs would consider it a positive thing if he were to be deleted from their system.

According to Gregor, the Oilers are looking to add a defenseman with size. Perhaps the Habs would be interested in somebody like Nilsson.

PK Subban? Or is he pretty much done?

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:55 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:

If we are adding Laraque we might as well move one of the other 4 guys that we have on the 4th line.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:00 PM
surshot*

I would take him on the cheap there is simply not enough guys for him to fight in the east. I also believe we could use him and he is still good enough to skate 8 minutes a game just don't expect him to put up points. For .700 next year its a good investment for protection of our skilled forwards and young guys coming in. And maybe if he comes with a chip on his shoulder with how he was treated by the Habs it could pay off big time.

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:10 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizent View Post
Gainey nails the Georges issue on tsn.ca - (paraphrased) I am not sure what Georges code is, but I think the code is, these are your teammates that you are here for. http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/clip257990#clip257990 This specific quote is at 1:40+
Finally somebody in hockey tells the truth about why GL is not only useless but harmful to a team.

Old
01-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Finally somebody in hockey tells the truth about why GL is not only useless but harmful to a team.

Boy, does that ever sound like the reasons he was let go from the Oilers, and then subsequently other teams. I remember MacT constantly harping on Georges to back off on his social and media endeavbors and concentrate more on his actual job. It used to disturb me to see guys running Weight, Marchant and others, and Smith, Moreau and Staois did all the fighting while Laraque made luncheon appointments.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 04:53 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:

We offer Jaroslav Spacek

Let's say.... Cogliano for Spacek + Laraque?

But if you're looking for a defenseman with size, I think Mara, Gill and O'Byrne can all be available for the right price. Subban is untouchable at this point, but we have other good D prospects (Weber, Carle, Fischer). And if you want Halak, then be prepared to give something good in return!

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 08:57 PM
mullet

With each and every day MacT is vindicated.

mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Gainey totally laid it out there and you are right told the truth. Why Gainey handed him that much money for that long and had no idea this was BG's MO, I am not sure.

He got that same sort of criticism from fans in Edmonton and Phoenix. He was called out in the playoffs with the Penguins for not doing his job. Now again in Montreal.

Why do I have the feeling he could still end up an Oiler next season? Bob Stauffer has been floating that idea in the last couple weeks too. Something to the effect if George gets bought out at the end of the season how would fans feel about bringing him in at say 700k? Stauffer is buddies with Laraque and obviously knew this was coming soon. Does he know something about his future too? I hope not.

As I would say Hell No! I was so glad when we let him go.

That is nothing against him off the ice. He is a wonderful man. I would be all for giving him a PR position or organizing the charity related stuff. He would be excellent at that.

Last edited by Oilerdiehard: 01-21-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Oilerdiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Krut

I think big George has turned into the most useless player in the NHL. I would really hope management and ownership know better than to bring him back. He is a great person though.

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote