HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Looking ahead..

Old
01-21-2010, 12:21 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

vCash: 500
Looking ahead..

Realistically speaking, we can't recognize trades before they happen. But what we can guess is who will make the jump to the NHL, who will likely be moved, released, sent down, etc.

As for next year, barring a setback in training camp, I see no reason why we don't simply get younger on defense and let some of the defensemen who were knocking on the doorstop this year into the mix. (Sanguinetti, Heikkinen, McDonagh, Sauer).

Anyone else see Redden being waived (or amnesty buyout), and Rozsival/Girardi (one of the two) being shopped? I think these things might be a definite possibility, while obviously Staal will be re-signed. We could see an even younger defense corps next year, which would also open up more room for $ for a FA scorer.

Grachev, Stepan, Byers, and possibly even Weise look like they could also be added to the forward list. And there's no reason to say Voros, Boyle, Lisin, Brashear, Higgins, Christensen and possibly even Prospal are locked in for next year.

Could see a much younger, mostly-Ranger developed (or at least within the system) team next year. Anyone agree?

Last edited by Jaromir Jagr: 01-21-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:36 PM
NYR Viper

Definitely agree. We will have to see if Sather and Torts want to leave a couple of spots open at camp on defense like they did this year or if they want to make the younger players work hard to overtake whoever is playing the worst. Hoping to see at least 2-3 more young players make the team next season.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:37 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Realistically speaking, we can't recognize trades before they happen. But what we can guess is who will make the jump to the NHL, who will likely be moved, released, sent down, etc.

As for next year, barring a setback in training camp, I see no reason why we don't simply get younger on defense and let some of the defensemen who were knocking on the doorstop this year into the mix. (Sanguinetti, Heikkinen, McDonagh, Sauer).

Anyone else see Redden being waived (and/or amnesty buyout), and Rozsival/Girardi (one of the two) being shopped? I think these things might be a definite possibility, while obviously Staal will be re-signed. We could see an even younger defense corps next year, which would also open up more room for $ for a FA scorer.

Grachev, Stepan, Byers, and possibly even Weise look like they could also be added to the forward list. And there's no reason to say Voros, Boyle, Lisin, Brashear, Higgins, Christensen and possibly even Prospal are locked in for next year.

Could see a much younger, mostly-Ranger developed (or at least within the system) team next year. Anyone agree?
No. We will see new faces from Hartford, but team will not and should not get any younger. We need veterans at this point.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Jaromir Jagr
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
No. We will see new faces from Hartford, but team will not and should not get any younger. We need veterans at this point.
new faces from Hartford would equal a younger team. And why you feel this way baffles me, considering the surplus of veterans we've had over the last few years have got us nowhere. Obviously, management is on board with your similar thoughts, that a rebuild isn't necessary, though we should still look to bring in younger players from within and acquire younger players. The veterans we have do not produce for the most part.

Jaromir Jagr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:49 PM
ThirdEye

I want to see Heikkinen on the team. Supposedly he's been doing very well in Hartford and the guy has a lot of overseas experience, so he'll probably be able to adjust quicker. It would suck if he made the team at the expense of Sanguinetti, but right now he's the perfect candidate to replace a bloated contract like Rozsival's.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:53 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
I want to see Heikkinen on the team. Supposedly he's been doing very well in Hartford and the guy has a lot of overseas experience, so he'll probably be able to adjust quicker. It would suck if he made the team at the expense of Sanguinetti, but right now he's the perfect candidate to replace a bloated contract like Rozsival's.
Would really love to see two of Sanguinetti, Heikenen, Sauer and McDonagh make the team out of camp next season. The only way that happens is if 2 of Rozsival, Redden and Girardi are moved. Doubted.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 12:58 PM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Would really love to see two of Sanguinetti, Heikenen, Sauer and McDonagh make the team out of camp next season. The only way that happens is if 2 of Rozsival, Redden and Girardi are moved. Doubted.
I get a nasty feeling Sangs will be traded. And if Heks is legit, i'm ok with that.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:01 PM
GAGLine

On defense, Rozy will be moved in the offseason. I don't see Redden being waived and he definitely won't be bought out. There won't be an amnesty buyout.

I would keep Girardi, but Sather may not want to pay him, so he could possibly get traded. If so, expect a (cheap) UFA to fill his spot (possibly one obtained from trading Rozy). And maybe another UFA on top of that if we intend to carry 7 dmen, though they could possibly use Heikkenin as a 7th instead.

However it shakes out, I expect only 1 open spot in the top 6 and one of Heikennin, Sangs and McDonagh will get it. I could see Sauer and/or Potter being traded. It doesn't seem like either is in the Rangers long term plans.

I would go with Redden, Staal, Girardi, Gilroy, MDZ, Sangs, Heik (7th)

Up front:

Stepan will go back to Wisconsin for one more year. Grachev will challenge for a spot, but I think he'll spend one more year in Hartford, just as AA did. Byers will challenge for a spot, but his window of opportunity is running out. He needs to have a good camp.

Prospal may not be back depending on how much money he's looking for. Higgins won't be back, and may get traded before the deadline. Kotalik will probably get traded either at the deadline or in the offseason.

Lisin and Christensen will both be resigned for cheap. Christensen is arbitration eligible, but won't get a penny more than his QO on a one year deal.

I think Weise is the most likely forward prospect to make the team. Owens I think has a chance also if he has a good camp.

And I imagine we'll sign at least 1 UFA, though knowing Sather, he'll sign 2 more than necessary.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:15 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
new faces from Hartford would equal a younger team. And why you feel this way baffles me, considering the surplus of veterans we've had over the last few years have got us nowhere. Obviously, management is on board with your similar thoughts, that a rebuild isn't necessary, though we should still look to bring in younger players from within and acquire younger players. The veterans we have do not produce for the most part.
By younger I meant experience. Balance is needed for success. The fact that we could not get quality veteran players or failed to have them perform in NY doesn't change that.

Old
01-21-2010, 01:17 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
On defense, Rozy will be moved in the offseason. I don't see Redden being waived and he definitely won't be bought out. There won't be an amnesty buyout.

I would keep Girardi, but Sather may not want to pay him, so he could possibly get traded. If so, expect a (cheap) UFA to fill his spot (possibly one obtained from trading Rozy). And maybe another UFA on top of that if we intend to carry 7 dmen, though they could possibly use Heikkenin as a 7th instead.

However it shakes out, I expect only 1 open spot in the top 6 and one of Heikennin, Sangs and McDonagh will get it. I could see Sauer and/or Potter being traded. It doesn't seem like either is in the Rangers long term plans.

I would go with Redden, Staal, Girardi, Gilroy, MDZ, Sangs, Heik (7th)

Up front:

Stepan will go back to Wisconsin for one more year. Grachev will challenge for a spot, but I think he'll spend one more year in Hartford, just as AA did. Byers will challenge for a spot, but his window of opportunity is running out. He needs to have a good camp.

Prospal may not be back depending on how much money he's looking for. Higgins won't be back, and may get traded before the deadline. Kotalik will probably get traded either at the deadline or in the offseason.

Lisin and Christensen will both be resigned for cheap. Christensen is arbitration eligible, but won't get a penny more than his QO on a one year deal.

I think Weise is the most likely forward prospect to make the team. Owens I think has a chance also if he has a good camp.

And I imagine we'll sign at least 1 UFA, though knowing Sather, he'll sign 2 more than necessary.
Thanks. Very good, saved me a lot of effort to put down the same.

Old
01-21-2010, 01:19 PM
haveandare

I'd like to see some of the young d men get a chance, but not at the expense of girardi being a ranger. I've said it in other threads, so I won't get too deep into it here but he and Staal are the only experienced defenders we have who don't have toxic contracts. Also, he's strong on d and sometimes impresses on the offensive side of things. I'd hold on to him, give him anything within reason, aka no redden contract.

As for the forwards, I'd bet almost anything that Stepan doesn't make the jump next year, and its probably for the best. He looks like he might be something really special, so I'm not behind rushing his development. Same for Grachev. I can't honestly say that I follow the Wolfpack too closely, but it seems that he's not really dominating yet the way that he is capable of. I could be wrong, anyone who follows the team, feel free to comment, but I think that he should stay in the A until he looks like hes really at his peak, much like Anisimov who really had nowhere to go in the AHL after putting up a huge season.

I hope we can lose either Redden or Rozy, hold on to girardi and incorporate some of the younger guys into the D. It might be rough going at first, but if these guys all develop and grow together, we could be looking at a very, very strong d corps who are really comfortable with one another down the road. Up front, I'd look to keep Boyle, Lisin and Christensen assuming that they don't make any unreasonable demands, which they're really not in a place to make anyway. Boyle is a prime fourth line center and Lisin is a good skill guy to have around, hopefully he'll click with a certain line eventually. Christensen's play speaks for itself. He's a versatile center who can put up some consistent points when he's on a good line. I have no idea what the future holds for Prospal, but I'd like to keep him for a bit longer if its doable.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

I'd like to see Guy LaFleur make a comeback with the Rangers.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:30 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

I don't deal Rozsival. Instead, I move Girardi on draft day, and replace him with Sanguinetti. I also buyout Redden, and here's why...I know Redden will be on the books for eight years, but, you get an immediate relief of $5.3 million for the next two years. Yes, the hit jumps to $3.4 or so, but, in the same year, both Drury and Rozsival are off the books, which means $12 million more in relief. I don't rush McDonagh...if he makes the team out of camp great, but, I still look at a cheap bottom pairing vet.

I don't bring back Higgins, and look to dump or waive Kotalik. I wait on offering Prospal a deal until the Kovalchuk sweepstakes come to an end. I bring back Christensen.

Here's my ideal lineup for next year -

Avery/Dubinsky/Gaborik
Lisin or Grachev/Anisimov/Kovalchuk
Christensen/Drury/Callahan
Byers/Boyle/Wiese

Staal/Gilroy
MDZ/Rozsival
UFA/Sanguinetti

Henke
Johnson

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 01:43 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'd like to see Guy LaFleur make a comeback with the Rangers.
Good one

Looking ahead, I think next season will be the last we'll see additions through free agency for a while, as we'll build from within after that.

Two of Sanguinetti, McDonagh, and Heikkenen will be on the team to replace Rozsival.

I see Rozsival being traded for a 2nd/3rd line forward and a pick or prospect. Said 2nd/3rd line forward will probably replace Higgins in the lineup.

Girardi, believe it or not, I think will be traded at the draft. I have a hunch that he'll ask for more money than Sather would be willing to pay him. I can see something like Girardi being traded to Chicago for Byfuglien/Versteeg/Sharp. We may have to add more, depending on which of those players we may be after.

Lisin and Higgins will be goners.

Kotalik will be traded, as reportedly he just requested a trade, most likely for picks/prospects.

Christensen will be brought back on a QO, I really like what I've seen from him and will be a good, cheap option for the 3rd line.

I have a hunch Sather will go after Frolov in free agency and succeed, he will probably overpay by a million or so per year in order to replace Prospal's production. I believe Prospal will be traded to a cup contender for a late 1st or 2nd rounder at the deadline.

Grachev will need another year in Hartford, ditto for Stepan in Wisconsin.

I expect the team to look something like this.

Callahan-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Frolov-Drury-player gotten for Girardi
Christensen-Anisimov-player gotten for Rozsival
Avery-Boyle-Voros
Byers

Staal-Del Zotto
Redden-Gilroy
McDonagh-Sanguinetti
Heikkenen

Lundqvist
Johnson

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 02:48 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Eat Crow View Post
Good one

Looking ahead, I think next season will be the last we'll see additions through free agency for a while, as we'll build from within after that.

Two of Sanguinetti, McDonagh, and Heikkenen will be on the team to replace Rozsival.

I see Rozsival being traded for a 2nd/3rd line forward and a pick or prospect. Said 2nd/3rd line forward will probably replace Higgins in the lineup.

Girardi, believe it or not, I think will be traded at the draft. I have a hunch that he'll ask for more money than Sather would be willing to pay him. I can see something like Girardi being traded to Chicago for Byfuglien/Versteeg/Sharp. We may have to add more, depending on which of those players we may be after.

Lisin and Higgins will be goners.

Kotalik will be traded, as reportedly he just requested a trade, most likely for picks/prospects.

Christensen will be brought back on a QO, I really like what I've seen from him and will be a good, cheap option for the 3rd line.

I have a hunch Sather will go after Frolov in free agency and succeed, he will probably overpay by a million or so per year in order to replace Prospal's production. I believe Prospal will be traded to a cup contender for a late 1st or 2nd rounder at the deadline.

Grachev will need another year in Hartford, ditto for Stepan in Wisconsin.

I expect the team to look something like this.

Callahan-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Frolov-Drury-player gotten for Girardi
Christensen-Anisimov-player gotten for Rozsival
Avery-Boyle-Voros
Byers

Staal-Del Zotto
Redden-Gilroy
McDonagh-Sanguinetti
Heikkenen

Lundqvist
Johnson
ugh.

thats an awful looking team even if you add the underachieving frolov and say the huge byfuglien.

that first line is

drury is your 2nd center

overall a very mediocre lineup.

prefer our current lineup without higgins and kotalik but with vinny and lisin.

what we need to do is add a true 2nd line scorer.

still wish we could see the arty grachev lisin line together for 10 games.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 03:12 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
still wish we could see the arty grachev lisin line together for 10 games.
You'll see it at some point, but will conclude that Christ would be better as a centre there.
Lisin must be kept. He will be next Zherdev. If not, then Zherdev has to be be signed. If Slats trades Kotalik and signs Z, I'd believe anything.

Old
01-21-2010, 03:17 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
You'll see it at some point, but will conclude that Christ would be better as a centre there.
Lisin must be kept. He will be next Zherdev. If not, then Zherdev has to be be signed. If Slats trades Kotalik and signs Z, I'd believe anything.
after what we've been thru this season with higgins and now kotalik, having zherdev right now wouldnt be all that bad.

Old
01-21-2010, 03:18 PM
94now

Quote:
after what we've been thru this season with higgins and now kotalik, having zherdev right now wouldnt be all that bad.
well, you're true fan then. i just hope about Lisin, not very confident to be exact. Higgins is Drury replacement at 30% cost.

Old
01-21-2010, 03:19 PM
In The Flesh

Quote:

Staal-Del Zotto
Redden-Gilroy
McDonagh-Sanguinetti
Heikkenen
that D is very weak

Girardi cannot be traded. I've been loving the idea of trading for Buff but not at the expense of Girardi, there's simply nobody else to cover for him.

heres my lineup for next yr (posted in another thread)

Buff Dubinsky Gaborik
Avery AA C. Armstrong (UFA)
Christensen Drury Callahan
Byers Boyle Scott (UFA)
Voros

Staal DZ
Girardi Gilroy
Redden Sanguinetti/Sauer

Last edited by In The Flesh: 01-21-2010 at 03:27 PM.
In The Flesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 03:21 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Of Rozsival, Girardi and Redden I'd say 2 of 3 will be gone.

Two more young players will be on the blue line: Sanguinetti, Heikenen, McDonaugh. Take your pick.

Stepan turns pro.

Grachev starts another year in Hartford. but comes up in the middle of the season.

Kovalchuk signs as FA.

Happy Trails: Lisin, Higgins, Kotalik, Brashear, Prospal, and 2 of Redden, Rozsival or Girardi.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 03:27 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
well, you're true fan then. i just hope about Lisin, not very confident to be exact.
he seems to have found some confidence now. hes involved and making something happen on every shift.

with him its all about confidence. when he has it, he can do some nifty things with the puck. he does have top skills

if torts keeps things like this for a while, i expect lisin will score some goals

Old
01-21-2010, 03:36 PM
94now

Quote:
he seems to have found some confidence now. hes involved and making something happen on every shift.

with him its all about confidence. when he has it, he can do some nifty things with the puck. he does have top skills

if torts keeps things like this for a while, i expect lisin will score some goals
Lisin needs coaching. He jumped into NHL with little schooling (Zherdev?). He is a raw talent that must be configured. He needs individual attention to develop hockey sense top 6 player must have. Sometimes desire to score or any pressure to do it may be detrimental. Therefore, it was a good idea to manage his playing time.

Old
01-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:

Define 'some'.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 03:50 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
I believe Prospal will be traded to a cup contender for a late 1st or 2nd rounder at the deadline.
I can't see that happening. Prospal is our 2nd leading scorer. For Sather to trade him at the deadline, we'd either have to have someone better coming back the other way or we'd have to be far out of playoff contention. Odds are we will be in contention for the playoffs come the trade deadline. No way Sather will be a seller.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 03:55 PM
TheHotRock

staal is due for a raise, so i think it makes sense to move girardi for a younger, cheaper asset.
i don't want to see roszival gone, he and staal are a very good top pair and i'd like to see them logging major minutes together next season.
i would love it if we could trade gilroy too. he hasn't been bad by any means, but he's not worth his cap hit and we may be able to get some nice value for him. I'd rather take the 1.75 and spend it on a solid stay at home vet to pair with Del Zotto. Then, assuming Redden sticks around..you pair Wade with whatever rookie makes the team.

as far as the forwards go..i'd like to see something like this (assuming we don't make a huge splash into free agency)

Prospal-Dubinsky-Gaborik
Grachev-Anisimov-Lisin
Avery-Drury-Callahan
Voros-Boyle-Byers

dump kotalik please.

basically another rebuild on the fly/compete for 4-8 seed year. integrate 3 rookies, lean on some of the younger guys...see where you're at midseason and then make a move if need be.

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote