HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Moreau - Horcoff - Pisani: 3rd line

Old
01-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Toydarian

vCash: 500
Moreau - Horcoff - Pisani: 3rd line

I am shocked how long it took until Moreau - Horcoff - Pisani were put on a line together, it is about time. All three of these players are having terrible years in one way or another but seeing them in last nights game against Vancouver as a legitimate shutdown 3rd line playing against the Sedins and Burrows was incredibly satisfying.

Unfortunately this 3rd line is by far the most expensive 3rd line in the NHL, but that is a mistake that Oilers management has to live and work with. Horcoff is a solid two-way player that fills the role of a 3rd line shutdown center. Pisani, while struggling with health issues, is the most defensively responsible winger on the Oilers' roster who fills the role of 3rd line winger perfectly. In regards to Moreau, his play this year has been absolutely terrible and undisciplined, BUT prior to this season (and parts of last) he was a respected blue-collar, hard-working, team orientated, grinder (the traits that got him the captaincy), last night against the Canucks, I think playing with Horcoff and Pisani brought more of that out in him. It was nice to see all three players placed in a role that best fit their skillset and together I think they overcame a lot of their shortcomings and encouraged each other to play as a solid line.

What do you all think, should Quinn keep this line together or should it be dissolved and the constant rotation and changing of line mates continue?

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 05:36 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 369
I have said for the last year and half to play them together as a shutdown line, after all that is what they are.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 05:39 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod42 View Post
I am shocked how long it took until Moreau - Horcoff - Pisani were put on a line together, it is about time. All three of these players are having terrible years in one way or another but seeing them in last nights game against Vancouver as a legitimate shutdown 3rd line playing against the Sedins and Burrows was incredibly satisfying.

Unfortunately this 3rd line is by far the most expensive 3rd line in the NHL, but that is a mistake that Oilers management has to live and work with. Horcoff is a solid two-way player that fills the role of a 3rd line shutdown center. Pisani, while struggling with health issues, is the most defensively responsible winger on the Oilers' roster who fills the role of 3rd line winger perfectly. In regards to Moreau, his play this year has been absolutely terrible and undisciplined, BUT prior to this season (and parts of last) he was a respected blue-collar, hard-working, team orientated, grinder (the traits that got him the captaincy), last night against the Canucks, I think playing with Horcoff and Pisani brought more of that out in him. It was nice to see all three players placed in a role that best fit their skillset and together I think they overcame a lot of their shortcomings and encouraged each other to play as a solid line.

What do you all think, should Quinn keep this line together or should it be dissolved and the constant rotation and changing of line mates continue?
i vote for constant rotation... we dont our lines to develop chemistry and start winning now!

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Wheatking

5 on 5 the Sedins were basically nonexistent. I was very impressed by the 3rd line last night. Pisani, Horcoff and Moreau are 3 guys that have been struggling. Last night they got back to basics and did what got them in the league to begin with.

It's much easier to like Horcoff when he's in a role better suited to his strengths. I'd rather him make 5.5M while playing 17 minutes a night and being an effective shutdown center than playing 22+ minutes a night in an offensive role and being exposed on a nightly basis. The contract will always be a tough pill to swallow but that doesn't mean we need to have him trying to play over his head.

The same goes for Pisani and Moreau to a certain degree. Let them stick to their strengths...

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 05:53 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
5 on 5 the Sedins were basically nonexistent. I was very impressed by the 3rd line last night. Pisani, Horcoff and Moreau are 3 guys that have been struggling. Last night they got back to basics and did what got them in the league to begin with.

It's much easier to like Horcoff when he's in a role better suited to his strengths. I'd rather him make 5.5M while playing 17 minutes a night and being an effective shutdown center than playing 22+ minutes a night in an offensive role and being exposed on a nightly basis. The contract will always be a tough pill to swallow but that doesn't mean we need to have him trying to play over his head.

The same goes for Pisani and Moreau to a certain degree. Let them stick to their strengths...
It's no different then how it's been with Cole, Lupul Penner and others. They aren't 1st liners so when they are struggling put them in a position where they can succed.

We have the contract and right now can't get rid of it, might as well make the best of it until something changes.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 08:16 PM
nsoilfan

thats a great third line

i know you have to try and justify paying a guy like a first or second line player but horcoff is best suited for the third line role with spot duties on the top 2 lines when he gets on a hot streak.

id play him there for the rest of the season.

i remember when bucky and mac T played that role and they taught a lot of the young guys that part of the game. i think having him there would be good for him and good for the team.

nsoilfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 08:37 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
It's a good third line. Just not for 11 million.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 08:40 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
It's a good third line. Just not for 11 million.
Exactly. Skillwise... doesn't matter. Capwise, it's a gross waste of money.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 08:57 PM
DangerMan
@danlizee

This line was a year and a half in the making and last night was the first time it got a whole game together. Its just too bad its come together as Moreau is on his way out and Pisani is 50/50. Hopefully it gets a few more games to see how it effects the Oilers as a team.

DangerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Hunt4Oil

Oh they'll be broken up soon, Quinn doesn't like chemistry.

Hunt4Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Schitzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod42 View Post
I am shocked how long it took until Moreau - Horcoff - Pisani were put on a line together, it is about time.
When's the last time all three of them were healthy at the same time? It's not like Quinn has been pissing away the opportunity.

Schitzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:59 AM
Stoneman89

9.5 million for a shutdown line. Unbelievable. I think I'm gonna puke. Well done Lowe. Nice cap management.

Last edited by Stoneman89: 01-22-2010 at 01:08 AM.
Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:40 AM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
9.5 million for a shutdown line. Unbelievable. I think I'm gonna puke. Well done Lowe. Nice cap management.
i wouldnt complain a single bit about a 9.5 million 3rd line if we were paying peanuts to a legitimate first line that could dominate other teams

sadly its a bag of suck all around

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:48 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post

This^ Well said and my feelings exactly.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:50 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
So, 3 minors and a combined minus-6 tonight?

Psycho Dad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:54 AM
I am the Liquor

We might win. We are due and Dallas has poor goaltending. Put the mph line on their top unit and we are even money baby.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
We might win. We are due and Dallas has poor goaltending. Put the mph line on their top unit and we are even money baby.
Why do you have to be so negative?

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote