HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jeff Carter?

Closed Thread

Old
04-18-2004, 11:08 AM
Izzy4Real

vCash: 500
Jeff Carter?

I know there is TONS of profiles out there by the click of a mouse but I think the fans always give the best analysis' of a player you want to know about...

With that I ask:
What kind of player is Jeff Carter? Strengths? Weaknesses? Things that excite you? Attitude/Leadership qualities? How much would it take for the Oilers to get him? Potential? Comparisons? What kind of role is he projected to have in the NHL?

Thanks to any and all who answer, it's much appreciated.

Have a good one and GREAT JOB knocking Jersey out!

Thanks Again

Old
04-18-2004, 11:19 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy4Real
I know there is TONS of profiles out there by the click of a mouse but I think the fans always give the best analysis' of a player you want to know about...

With that I ask:
What kind of player is Jeff Carter? Strengths? Weaknesses? Things that excite you? Attitude/Leadership qualities? How much would it take for the Oilers to get him? Potential? Comparisons? What kind of role is he projected to have in the NHL?

Thanks to any and all who answer, it's much appreciated.

Have a good one and GREAT JOB knocking Jersey out!

Thanks Again
Strengths
Size: 6'3 190lbs and betting bigger
Skating Ability: He has great speed. Would be one of the 3 or 4 fastest Flyers today.
Goal Scorer, kills penalties.

Weknesses
His body still could use some more muscle. Ideally he'll end up at 6'3 and 205-215 lbs.

Projected to be a #1 center. Comparisons are generally either Mike Modano or Mats Sundin.

Carter is not available, so any team that wanted him would have to overpay in a big way.

Old
04-18-2004, 11:27 AM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Agreed on all counts JFF - the weakness I see is that he hasn't used his size at all - the physical side of his game is almost non-existent at this point. He hasn't been asked to play a phsyical game in the Sault either, so there's really no telling how good that part of his game can be.

The price? A lot of money/players/compromising photos of Clarke perhaps?

Old
04-18-2004, 11:33 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl49
Agreed on all counts JFF - the weakness I see is that he hasn't used his size at all - the physical side of his game is almost non-existent at this point. He hasn't been asked to play a phsyical game in the Sault either, so there's really no telling how good that part of his game can be.

Agreed, hopefully as he gains weight and strength and his body matures he will use his size to his fullest advantage.

Old
04-18-2004, 01:30 PM
FlyersFan10*

Jeff Carter is going to be a player in this league for years to come. While he might not throw his body around with reckless abandon, I think this whole physical issue is sometimes overblown. The best players in the league don't have to throw their body around in order to be effective. Because Carter is a very smart player and can read plays, he's more of a positional player. He doesn't shy away from the physical side of the game, he just doesn't initiate it. So, the whole physical aspect can be somewhat overblown because with some players, the idea of having to throw your body around in order to be effective isn't necessarily the case. The fact that he's a big player and he's a very smart player should have all of us drooling. As for player comparisons, I see a larger version of Zhamnov in Carter. Not too shabby to say the least.

Old
04-18-2004, 02:59 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
I'm really excited about the possibility of seeing him on the Flyers next season, in the event that there is no lockout.

What would people say are the odds that he spends the majority of the season next year with the Flyers, assuming a lockout (or at least a long one) doesn't happen?

Old
04-19-2004, 08:21 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
I'm really excited about the possibility of seeing him on the Flyers next season, in the event that there is no lockout.

What would people say are the odds that he spends the majority of the season next year with the Flyers, assuming a lockout (or at least a long one) doesn't happen?

It depends on what the Flyers do with Zhamnov. Ideally I'd like to see Roenick, Handzus, Zhamnov and Sharp next year, giving Carter another year in Junior. I don't know if he could play the minutes needed to be of good developmental value for him. I am betting that Clarke lets Zhamnov go, and brings up Carter, although I'd rather wait another year.

Old
04-19-2004, 08:39 AM
Rails

Send a message via AIM to Rails
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator
It depends on what the Flyers do with Zhamnov. Ideally I'd like to see Roenick, Handzus, Zhamnov and Sharp next year, giving Carter another year in Junior. I don't know if he could play the minutes needed to be of good developmental value for him. I am betting that Clarke lets Zhamnov go, and brings up Carter, although I'd rather wait another year.
I think Clarke bringing up Carter depends on the CBA issue, if it is solved, it might happen.

Old
04-19-2004, 09:01 AM
VaFlyer

I think the Flyers "center" issue for next year will resolve itself. Lapointe, is probably gone, making a 4th line role for someone. Roenick, it appears, can and will play the wing. That leaves us Primeau and Zhamnov to resign, and Handzus and Sharp as the other 2 centers on the roster. IF Carter and Richards play with the big club next year, they can play wing. I don't anticipate we will see either of these guys with the big club next year.

Old
04-19-2004, 09:12 AM
RoDu

don't rush the kids, they have another year of junior eligibility, so let them play there next year, especially with the CBA, maybe bring them up the year after next, definityly be here in 2005-2006, hopefully with other kids like Eager and Ruggario(sp?)

Old
04-19-2004, 09:22 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy4Real
How much would it take for the Oilers to get him?
Even if he was available (which he isn't). You can either give us Woywitka back and a 3rd, or your 1st round pick (and not the one we gave you for Comrie) and a prospect Center (which I don't think the Oilers will be willing to give up Niinimaki, Pouliot or Stoll because thats the only real good prospects the Oilers have down the middle)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
04-19-2004, 12:38 PM
ObeySteve
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via AIM to ObeySteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator
There's no real possibility of having both players?

Old
04-19-2004, 01:11 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeySteve
There's no real possibility of having both players?
It seems that if Carter made the team as a center and they kept Zhamnov, Handzus, and Primeau, that he wouldn't get the playing time needed to be worth the callup, at least that's how it seems to me.

Old
04-21-2004, 12:13 PM
fan mao rong

Since I haven't seen this anywhere else on this entire board, would like to point out that www.phantomshockey.com aka the Phantoms board says that Carter has been signed to an ATO today (April 21) and would think he would play tonight against Norfolk.

Old
04-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Cuiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fan mao rong
Since I haven't seen this anywhere else on this entire board, would like to point out that www.phantomshockey.com aka the Phantoms board says that Carter has been signed to an ATO today (April 21) and would think he would play tonight against Norfolk.

Old
04-21-2004, 02:21 PM
Yertle The Turtle

Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
Phantoms board says that Carter has been signed to an ATO today (April 21) and would think he would play tonight against Norfolk.[/QUOTE]

man that is awsome ill bet they sign him if they can and end up winning the calder cup.

Old
04-21-2004, 05:11 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Imagine a line of: Eager-Carter-Gagne. I guarantee that would be the fastest line to ever play the game. All three have world class speed. Eager gives you hart, grit, determination and a very physical brand of hockey and has great size 6'2-6'3 220lbs and amazing acceleration and speed. Gagne we all know his speed and talent. And finally Carter. Jeff Carter is a very crafty and flashy big forward. Very fast, not as fast as Eager or Gagne, but very still world class skater and speed. Very good size (6'3), but needs to fill in. Amazing stickhanling and ability to carry the puck from his own end throught the neutral zone and very good passing. I really envy you guys, you have 2 of my fav prospects(Eager and Carter) that I wish were on the leafs.

Old
04-21-2004, 06:24 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl49
the weakness I see is that he hasn't used his size at all - the physical side of his game is almost non-existent at this point.
I disagree, offensively he uses his size and strength very well to keep defencemen at bay. While not being an overly physical force he uses his physicality in the offensive zone which often leads to scoring chances.

Old
04-21-2004, 06:49 PM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_TheGreat
Imagine a line of: Eager-Carter-Gagne. I guarantee that would be the fastest line to ever play the game. All three have world class speed. Eager gives you hart, grit, determination and a very physical brand of hockey and has great size 6'2-6'3 220lbs and amazing acceleration and speed. Gagne we all know his speed and talent. And finally Carter. Jeff Carter is a very crafty and flashy big forward. Very fast, not as fast as Eager or Gagne, but very still world class skater and speed. Very good size (6'3), but needs to fill in. Amazing stickhanling and ability to carry the puck from his own end throught the neutral zone and very good passing. I really envy you guys, you have 2 of my fav prospects(Eager and Carter) that I wish were on the leafs.
Some of those Habs lines in the 70's were pretty fast.

I didn't know Eager had allot of speed I thought he was a Power forward with decent speed.

Carter is going to be great but IMO I think Richards will turn out to be the better overall player of our 2 highly rated prospects.

Old
04-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Vincent_TheGreat

Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
Some of those Habs lines in the 70's were pretty fast.

I didn't know Eager had allot of speed I thought he was a Power forward with decent speed.

Carter is going to be great but IMO I think Richards will turn out to be the better overall player of our 2 highly rated prospects.
Yeah at the 2002 Top Prospect Skills Competition, Eager had the record the fastest 60' dash of 2.704 seconds and a 150' dash of 5.268 which is the record by a big margin. Eager can flat out fly, I would say he beats both Carter and Gagne in a straight race from Goal-line to Goal-line. He is tremedosuly quick, and he is really agile to, I watched a lot of him in Junior and his hitting and hart was really exciting and will get him to the NHL, but if he develops better puck handling skills, his offensive abilites will soar. Richards is also a great player too, and he should definitely be apart of the philly future.

Old
04-21-2004, 09:55 PM
King of Kelvington

I watched Carter play all season and i have one comment....if he was drafted ny other year he woulda be top 2...hes that good, hes mature has great hands and never backs down from traffic.

Closed Thread