HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jan 21 10 || Leafs @ Bolts || OT .. so you know the result. Auger Gets Personal Again

Old
01-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Transplanted Caper

vCash: 500
No issue with the hitting from behind call on Poni. Might have been iffy on how St. Louis sold it, but I'll always prefer the call to letting stuff like that go unpunished. Hitting from behind is one of the things the league can discernably crack down on, as there's much less grey area than other hits.

That being said, the unsportsmanlike call was complete and utter BS. It's a complete embarassment that was called, let alone how late in a close game it was.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azumi View Post
At this point, I'm more inclined to believe it isn't the players so much as it is the Coaching.

I mean, yeah, we are not the most skilled team in the NHL.. But honestly, I feel like Wilson is playing guys outside the comfort zones/playing them in situations they shouldn't be playing at.

For instance, Wayne out there in OT, in 4vs4 hockey.. I don't get it? This isn't even about the penalty, but why would you go with Wayne Primeau in that situation? The guy has the offensive talent of a pickle on skates.

Why wasn't White on the top PP unit for such a long time? Why Stemp? Why does Kulemin get no PP ice time? He's played far better than Stemp.

Coaching should take just as much blame as the players, imo.
Have to agree. Why does Stempniak play the point over Beauchemin, White or Gunnarsson? The PP has been absolutely horrendous lately, so it's pretty evident that something isn't working.

I don't understand Exelby on the PK either. I also don't understand why all the players seem to be so complacent - they little just stand around waving their sticks. It's not that often that I see someone go out and challenge the opposition.

080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:40 AM
John-Eric Iannicello
Hockey's Future Staff

Tough way to lose.

What I do like seeing, is at least Kessel creating offense. Most saw him as a one trick pony in terms of 'just a shooter', but some of the passes he's made on his assists have been pretty. Say what you want about his scoring slump, but he's paid to provide offence and to me he is.

John-Eric Iannicello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:42 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by 080 View Post
Have to agree. Why does Stempniak play the point over Beauchemin, White or Gunnarsson? The PP has been absolutely horrendous lately, so it's pretty evident that something isn't working.

I don't understand Exelby on the PK either. I also don't understand why all the players seem to be so complacent - they little just stand around waving their sticks. It's not that often that I see someone go out and challenge the opposition.
In fairness the PP has been bad with all of those guys as well.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:43 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplanted Caper View Post
No issue with the hitting from behind call on Poni. Might have been iffy on how St. Louis sold it, but I'll always prefer the call to letting stuff like that go unpunished. Hitting from behind is one of the things the league can discernably crack down on, as there's much less grey area than other hits.
It was a bad move for Ponikarovsky to make that hit at that time of the game, BS by St. Louis for propelling himself into the boards and turning around to scream for a penalty, and a bad call by the ref to let him get away with it. Ugly all around.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:44 AM
ssheeran10

Anyone Know Off Hand How Many Penalties For Too Many Men The Leafs Have Taken This Year? Honestly Seems Above 10...which Is Ridiculous

ssheeran10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:03 AM
Wheels

Why was Wayne Primeau coming on the ice in overtime anyway?

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Azumi*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
Why was Wayne Primeau coming on the ice in overtime anyway?

Ron Wilson: What did you say?

Azumi* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:09 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Leafs are now 0 - 8 in OT this year and Gustavsson as been in net for all 8 losses this season..

Leafs have not been able to get it done in OT..

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:24 AM
ItalianLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al14 View Post
Peddie, Tannenbaum, Teacher PP, someone above Burke needs to step in now! Wilson really needs to be fired! NOW, right f'en NOW!
dude seriously! Its not Ron Wilson. Can you not just accept that this team completely sucks! The talent level on this team blows. God himself could not put this team in the playoffs because this team just sucks so bad. I could care less if this team outshoots other teams. Its the quality of the shots not the quantity. Maybe if we had skill, shots would go top corner instead of hitting the goalie right in the teams logo.

skill kills and blow hards suck hard and this explains the leafs.

ItalianLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:25 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianLeaf View Post
dude seriously! Its not Ron Wilson. Can you not just accept that this team completely sucks! The talent level on this team blows. God himself could not put this team in the playoffs because this team just sucks so bad. I could care less if this team outshoots other teams. Its the quality of the shots not the quantity. Maybe if we had skill, shots would go top corner instead of hitting the goalie right in the teams logo.

I'd settle for a team out of the bottom 5 who's PK isn't the worst in recent history. Wilson was able to do it last year with a weaker roster, why not now?

Old
01-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Koss

Send a message via MSN to Koss
Quote:

there are many in the game of hockey that would blame a too-many-men-on-the-ice penalty on the coach 9 times out of ten. It's not like we've been called for that only once or twice this year, it's happened alot at inopportune times. It's possible to speculate that Wilson and his staff and not managing their bench properly, especially during critical times of the game. If we are getting the call so often, why is Wilson not stressing to the guys to hurry off the ice on changes. And if Wilson is addressing this problem and the guys are tuning him out - what would that tell you?

Koss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:33 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

Ron Wilson was the coach last season also and the results were better.

Burke brought in excess of $20 mil in new players this season and the results of the team have gotten worse. The players that didn't change (yet), were also a factor in last years results also.

So the reason for the downward trend in team direction points to GM or Coach or new the players..

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:39 AM
stoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post

Burke brought in excess of $20 mil in new players this season and the results of the team have gotten worse. The players that didn't change (yet), were also a factor in last years results also.

So the reason for the downward trend in team direction points to GM or Coach or new the players..
Or having the worst goaltender in the league splitting time with a rookie? I think you should expand on your two options.

I don't remember really any games that I would say the goalies really stole it for us, not one stands out for me.

Still a team effort, but our greatest deficiency is in the net.

stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:53 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:
Leafs are now 0 - 8 in OT this year and Gustavsson as been in net for all 8 losses this season..

Brutal....any idea what the NHL record is? If we haven't set it, we must be approaching it.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:53 AM
ItalianLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koss View Post
there are many in the game of hockey that would blame a too-many-men-on-the-ice penalty on the coach 9 times out of ten. It's not like we've been called for that only once or twice this year, it's happened alot at inopportune times. It's possible to speculate that Wilson and his staff and not managing their bench properly, especially during critical times of the game. If we are getting the call so often, why is Wilson not stressing to the guys to hurry off the ice on changes. And if Wilson is addressing this problem and the guys are tuning him out - what would that tell you?
the leafs problems are not from too many men penalties.. every team in the league gets these so in a full year even if the leafs have the most, by how many exactly.. 2 or 3? Their play stinks. I hear a lot of "they don't get the bounces" there is a good reason why they don't get the bounces and why a lot of the skilled teams do.

its simply skill.. hardwork will get you a couple of wins but you need skill to keep you consistant. Skilled teams can still win when there are nights when they just don't have it. Every team in the league have nights where they just are sluggish but there skill level gets them the W. The leafs have to night in night out rely on hard work to get them the W because of that lack of skill. What was the longest winning streak they ever had this season? maybe its not long because they are burnt out from the previous game for working so damn hard just to squeeze out a 3-2 victory.

look at other teams skill level

hawks - toews, kane, seabrook, keith, sharp, hossa
wings, datsyuk, zetterberg, franzan
ducks - getzlaf, perry, hiller, ryan
canucks - sedins, luongo, kesler
sens - mihalak, alfie, kovalev
rangers - henrik l, gaborik, dubinsky
philly - carter, richards, briere, gagne, hartnell
bruins - chara, thomas, rask, savard, krejci
pens - crosby, malkin, fleury, gonchar
wash, ovy, semin, backstrom, green
florida - vokoun, horton, booth, weiss
tampa - stamkos, vinny, marty
NJ - parise, brodeur, elias

and the list goes on and on... give me a comparable for the leafs. To me, kessel and kabs are it and after that the talent level drops off immensely when these other teams have skills guys on the 2nd and 3rd lines aswell.... its just too much to compete with.

ItalianLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:55 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

Goaltending.

You're welcome.

Old
01-22-2010, 11:57 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
I'd settle for a team out of the bottom 5 who's PK isn't the worst in recent history. Wilson was able to do it last year with a weaker roster, why not now?
I'd say there is equal blame all round.

I see Wilson getting blamed for the too many men penalty. You can't hang that on the Coach IMO, am I off base here?

Old
01-22-2010, 11:59 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post

I see Wilson getting blamed for the too many men penalty. You can't hang that on the Coach IMO, am I off base here?
It's always been attributed to the coach, but there wasn't any confusion on the play, just an eager player. I wouldn't hang it on Wilson, but that's me.

Old
01-22-2010, 12:03 PM
ACC1224
Steelers 1 - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97 View Post
It's always been attributed to the coach, but there wasn't any confusion on the play, just an eager player. I wouldn't hang it on Wilson, but that's me.
That's how I saw it. I agree two guys jumping on for one could be hung on the Coach and even that is not gauranteed.

Old
01-22-2010, 12:03 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post

The player needs to be aware of the situation but I guess that a raw rookie like Primeau can be forgiven for being too enthusiastic.

Old
01-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Stephen

Quote:

Only because Toskala would have blown the game in the 1st period...

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Knockout

Quote:

No. Toskala was in net for the OT loss to open the season.

Knockout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:23 PM
Poggemon Destiny*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19metallica81 View Post
I don't understand why anyone argues a call ever.

Not like the refs ever call it back.
You either never played competitive sports or were too insignificant to the result of the game if you did play.

Poggemon Destiny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 05:08 AM
sessiroth

We all the the reff that was officiating the game was the same reff in the alex burrows incident right?

Man, i never seen some of these calls before. In a tie game, with 5 minutes to go, your giving a unsportsmanlike penalty to poni cause he slamed the door! He didn't even say a word! You know how many times i saw players slam the door and nothing happened, and to call in late in a tie game, can someone say the reff was on a power trip. I belief burrows now with this guy. He shouldn't even reff pewee.

And then a to many men on the ice call in overtime, when it was near impossible to tell if stajan was on the bench before primeau touched the puck. Stajan was haft way over before primeau touched the puck and your going to call that when the games on the line?

They need to make penalty's called reviewable like in the NFL cause we all saw dumb penalties this year, that changes the outcome of games. Like the kaberle penalty last night. What was the call? STOPPING THE OPPONENT FROM GETTING A CLEAR SHOT? Look at that penalty called. Just look at it, I dare you. Kabbie did nothing wrong on that call.

sessiroth is offline   Reply With Quote