HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you angry, sad or jealous?

Old
01-21-2010, 11:41 PM
BeBen*

vCash: 500
Are you angry, sad or jealous?

I thought about that earlier, i was born in 1987 i have no memories of 1993...recently with the cup winners (TB, CAR, PIT) are you sometimes angry or sad because teams that don't have die hard fans can appreciate the feeling of winning a cup but we can't?

I remember the playoffs against Carolina and some guy at RDS did a voxpop in the streets of Raleigh to see people's reaction regarding the Canes in the 2nd round and no one knew or cared about the Canes

We all know that the vast majority of Pittsburgh fans are just bandwagonners and i don't really need to talk about TB

So are you angry, sad or jealous that less die hard fans are able to feel their team win a cup and not us Habs?

I guess im a little bit of all 3, like i said i have no memories of 1993 so the feeling would be all new for me

What about you older guys, if you feel any of the 3 above do you try thinking about whichever cup run you saw in the past?

BeBen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:49 PM
tonynyy

Definitely for Tampa and Carolina, I'm OK with Pittsburgh.
Just another reason to dislike Bettman IMO. If it were the Hamilton Hurricanes or the Winnipeg Lightning, the pill of seeing the Habs fail again would be easier to swallow. On the other hand, fans don't win Stanley Cups, players do, and the players, be it in Raleigh or Montreal, work just as hard, regardless of the market they're in.

tonynyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-21-2010, 11:52 PM
BeBen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonynyy View Post
Definitely for Tampa and Carolina, I'm OK with Pittsburgh.
Just another reason to dislike Bettman IMO. If it were the Hamilton Hurricanes or the Winnipeg Lightning, the pill of seeing the Habs fail again would be easier to swallow. On the other hand, fans don't win Stanley Cups, players do, and the players, be it in Raleigh or Montreal, work just as hard, regardless of the market they're in.
Yea don't worry no disrespect for the players, they worked hard to achieve this but god damn sometimes i feel some of those don't even deserve a team let alone win the cup (because of the fans, or lack thereof)

Old
01-21-2010, 11:59 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

All of the above.

Not only about the cups but about the way all these places are getting players of this quality. And I place all the blame on the shoulders of Bettman.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:00 AM
Darth Joker

I feel a bit jealous of Pittsburgh, but simply because it's insane how fortunate a team franchise has to be to be terrible at just the right time (getting one of the greatest ever in Mario Lemieux because of it), and then to get another huge gift a generation later in the form of winning the Crosby lottery (this had more to do with sheer luck than deliberate tanking).

Then to also get Jagr, who's one of the better players of all time as well imo, along the way at fifth overall...

Carolina and Tampa have had plenty of really lean years to go with their great ones, so I don't feel quite as jealous over them, or angry towards them.

Now, if a team in an area with relatively non-caring fans ever became a dynasty team... THAT would suck, yes. I'd hate that.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:04 AM
Go Habs Go

Are you kiddin? I'm sad not enough team can experience what Habs fans get to experience. 24 Stanley Cups, we are the most glorious hockey team in the history of the NHL. I'm not angry, sad or jealous. I'm grateful to be a fan of a team with such a glorious history. I'm happy that Montreal has a hockey team where its people can be proud of its achievements. If Habs fans are sad then I wonder what fans of other teams feel. Despair? Suicidal? If anything, fans of other teams should be jealous of Hab fans as we don't appreciate what we have.

Go Habs Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:05 AM
BeBen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Habs Go View Post
Are you kiddin? I'm sad not enough team can experience what Habs fans get to experience. 24 Stanley Cups, we are the Yankees of hockey. I'm not angry, sad or jealous. I'm grateful to be a fan of a team with such a glorious history. If Habs fans are sad then I wonder what fans of other teams feel.
Im not talking about the history unless you're 100 years old...

History is all good and dandy when you want to piss off a Leafs fan or something but whoever is my age never actually saw such history be made

Old
01-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
All teams have their diehard fans, their so-so fans, and their bandwagoners. Whatever.

Go Habs.

Le Tricolore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Darz

Well, I was born in 1970, so I remember watching 6 Stanley Cup wins and 7 Cup final appearances, so I don't feel nearly as bad.

Thanks for giving me at least one good reason for being as old as I am.

p.s. I still have the good fortune of never seeing the Leafs make one Stanley Cup final appearance....hey another reason.

01-22-2010, 12:08 AM
BeBen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Well, I was born in 1970, so I remember watching 6 Stanley Cup wins and 7 Cup final appearances, so I don't feel nearly as bad.

Thanks for giving me at least one good reason for being as old as I am.
Haha yea im jealous of you, not for starting to have salt&pepper hair but for the 6 cups

Old
01-22-2010, 12:15 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Obviously don't remember the one the day I was born, nor the one the very next year, but "fully" remember 2 of them. So a little jealous of the "dynasties" (who got to watch their teams dominate the league year after year, start to finish - rather than pull a couple out Cups of a hat), but other than that, meh.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:31 AM
Garo

Right now I'm just nervous about the playoffs game this weekend.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:32 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
I thought about that earlier, i was born in 1987 i have no memories of 1993...recently with the cup winners (TB, CAR, PIT) are you sometimes angry or sad because teams that don't have die hard fans can appreciate the feeling of winning a cup but we can't?

I remember the playoffs against Carolina and some guy at RDS did a voxpop in the streets of Raleigh to see people's reaction regarding the Canes in the 2nd round and no one knew or cared about the Canes

We all know that the vast majority of Pittsburgh fans are just bandwagonners and i don't really need to talk about TB

So are you angry, sad or jealous that less die hard fans are able to feel their team win a cup and not us Habs?

I guess im a little bit of all 3, like i said i have no memories of 1993 so the feeling would be all new for me

What about you older guys, if you feel any of the 3 above do you try thinking about whichever cup run you saw in the past?
The Hurricanes have a pretty damn good fanbase

They stand all game long in playoffs , Showed up at airport to greet team at middle of night this past playoffs (After beating Bruins there were thousands waiting)

They are awful this year yet there fans still have passion and go nuts every game

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:35 AM
Bitterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post

I've been fortunate enough to see the Habs win 6 Stanley Cups but with just 2 Cups in the last 30 years it's been tough to sit back and watch teams with little or no history win but the reality is that dynasties are pretty much done with, especially with the Draft Lottery hampering the tank and build strategy of hording #1 picks.

Point is, winning the Stanley Cup is one of the hardest things to do in all pro sports and that's what makes it so rewarding. Young fans of newish teams with no history that did win a Cup won't fully appreciate what it means for another 20+ years.

Bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 12:41 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

I can't imagine how the city will react to a Stanley Cup championship, would be too nuts on the streets.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:24 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
I can't imagine how the city will react to a Stanley Cup championship, would be too nuts on the streets.
army will be called-up

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:23 AM
holyhabs87

vCash: 2009
Quote:
Are you kiddin? I'm sad not enough team can experience what Habs fans get to experience. 24 Stanley Cups, we are the most glorious hockey team in the history of the NHL. I'm not angry, sad or jealous. I'm grateful to be a fan of a team with such a glorious history. I'm happy that Montreal has a hockey team where its people can be proud of its achievements. If Habs fans are sad then I wonder what fans of other teams feel. Despair? Suicidal? If anything, fans of other teams should be jealous of Hab fans as we don't appreciate what we have.
I don't think you understand the post.

Sure, it is great to be part of the Montreal Canadiens but for younger fans, the Habs have been a staple of mediocrity at best.

I was born in 87 as well. I have no memories of these 24 Stanley Cups. I have no memories of this glorious history.

Players like Richard, Beliveau and Lafleur are great but they never did **** for me. Heck, the reason I like Roy so much is because come playoff time I needed to pick a team to cheer for since the Habs were never in it. So I chose the Avs because of Roy.

My first hockey memories are not even of the Habs. It was the Vancouver Canucks during the 94 season when they lost to the Rangers in the finals. Pavel Bure was my favorite player so I cheered for them. I remember after they lost I was so sad I went into my mom's room and told her they just lost and went to sleep right away.

I really cannot even point out when I became a Habs fan. I just remember every Saturday my parents tooks me to "Cage aux Sports" where we would catch the Habs games. I do not remember watching the greats I mentioned above. I remember watching Brian Savage, Martin Rucinsky, Oleg Petrov, Karl Dykhuis, Jocelyn Thibault and Jeff Hackett! I remember my dad was teasing me about the Canadiens losing 6-1 to Tampa one night, I did not cry, but I was very upset and threw a fit!

I mean my best memories are all of beating the Bruins in the playoffs and then being disposed of quickly in the second round. If the Habs have had any success lately, it has been very short lived. I still have holes/dents in the walls of my room from the Carolina series where Saku got high sticked and the Philly series 2 years ago.

Some idolize Roy, Dryden or Richard. For me, Saku was the Montreal Canadiens. He was paired with less than average players every year and told to carry this team. He got **** on by a lot of people in this city but every night he would show up and give it 100%. No excuses. He did all that he could to help us win.

I can't even tell you the last time I missed a Habs game unless there was a family gathering or it was a holiday and I was not in town to watch the game.

So you are damn right it pisses me off that places like Anaheim, Carolina and Tampa have won cups. These are cities where the average joe could not even name 5 players on the team. I am pissed that because Pittsburgh was such a piece of **** on ice that they got rewarded with 3-4 great players. But that is hockey and that is sports. I can watch every second of every game and I have no control over anything. I understand that in the new NHL with a salary cup it will be even harder for us to win. But when we do, it will be worth it. I will certainly appreciate it.

It seems like this organization has focused so much on the past lately it has forgotten about the future.

Last edited by holyhabs87: 01-22-2010 at 02:33 AM.
holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 05:17 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

I'm not jealous, because I think we can't blame other teams for hiring a better management than the Habs one. I think the Habs management is to blame for the lack of success these last 15 years.

And I think it's very sad and shameful. A franchise with a glorious history like the Habs should set the standards of how you manage a hockey team, just like the Yankees do in MLB... and just like the Red Wings & Devils do in NHL. The Habs should be the team with the most scouts worldwide, and with the most competent one. The Habs should be a team that always does all it can to attract all star players, to draft the best prospects, to sign the best free agents, etc. Winning the cup should be the ultimate goal every single year, and average seasons should be unacceptable. They should always make sure that the most competent individuals are into the key positions, and there should be no tolerance at all for major management mistakes (trading Patrick Roy or Mike Ribeiro, for example).

I even believe that all the hockey decisions should not be taken by a single man like Gainey. There should be a board with at least 5 or 6 good hockey heads that would not just try to make the team competitive day to day, but who would also work on long term planification. This team should have the highest budget for pro scouting, for youth scouting, for player development and for the management in general. They could easily afford it.

They should never have left the winning tradition fade away like that. The Habs really have only themselves to blame, and so I'm not jealous when I see the Lightnings winning the cup. But maybe a little angry at those who take the decisions in Montreal, because of their lack of ambition.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:08 AM
Claimed Off Waivers

I don't have a problem with Pittsburgh or New Jersey winning a cup because they actually have passionate fans. I have a big problem with teams that nobody cares about like Carolina, Tampa Bay, and Anaheim winning it, to me it cheapens the league when a team wins the cup and nobody in the winning teams city even cares about the team, I have no problem with their players or management though
Bettman

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:37 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryI View Post
I was in Montreal celebrating our Cup in 93. It was like nothing I have ever experienced before. It's something that I hope each and everyone of you experience at least once in your life time.

As for the question, no I don't feel any of those emotions. Like Darz, I was also born in 1970, so I've been lucky enough to see more than my share of Cup wins. I can definitely understand our younger fans feeling some of these emotions though.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Habs 1909

Quote:
Try reading more than the title and maybe you'll understand the OP.

Habs 1909 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

I was born in '89 and I too have no memories of the '93 Cup. My first hockey memory? The Rags winning the Cup the year after. FML.

Anyway I'm not jealous of other fanbases, I'm more envious of the older Habs fans that got to celebrate so many Cups. The only thing I've experienced since I started watching the Habs is mediocrity. And even there, incompetent mediocrity since we couldn't draft for **** during these years.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Spy
resU deretsigeR

I'm ok with it. Theorically, a team should win only one cup per 30 years, since there's 30 teams. I'll be happy if I get to see 2 cup wins in my whole existance (I already saw one in 1993 mind you, I was 10yo).

Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Classified

Pittsburgh is the only team I didn't like seeing win, I hate how the casual fan became the biggest bandwagon fan and try and say they loved Pit all along, I guess thats more hate towards the fan base than the team though.

TB and Carolina I don't have a problem with though, a good team in those areas should expose the game. It's too bad they couldn't stay good, they had some major drop offs.

Classified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:06 AM
knuck
On and off fan

I am 24 and I feel the same way as everyone here who is under 28-29

I liked the reference someone made to their best moment watching the habs being a first round win before a quick second round sweep... I personally have no faith whatsoever in this organization after watching them blow it year after year

BUT

I keep watching games and reading this forum...so therefore I must have some kind of faith hidden deep inside

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote