HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are you angry, sad or jealous?

Old
01-22-2010, 11:17 AM
CarrePrisme

vCash: 500
Someone who gets jealous, sad or angry over a sport needs a hobby.

Not every franchise has to be like Mtl or TOR to have a shot at the Cup.

CarrePrisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:32 AM
maci4life

The only thing i'm angry about is that culture, language, background, and demographics play a role in deciding factors of the product on the ice.

in this day and age it will take another 1993 miracle for MTL to ever win a cup. Other than that, they will be mediocre playoff team at best.

maci4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:32 AM
shutehinside

The only team I'm jealous of is Pittsburgh who might have a hockey horseshoe up their butts. First there was drafting Jagr and Lemieux that led to 2 cups which is lucky but not unheard of. Then they did it again when they were able to draft a generational talent like Malkin in the same draft as Ovy is one case of extraordinairily good fortune. BUT, to win the draft lottery the year Crosby was there in a combined draft, well that's when conspiracy theories come to mind. No one can be that lucky TWICE!

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:35 AM
habsrock76

I was born in 76' and was basically indoctrined to love the habs but obviously dont remember any of those cups in the 70's

I was 10 when they won in 86', my old man let me stay up to watch them win it in Calgary. Funny thing was that the team only got stronger after that year but could never win it until they went the youth road again in 93'.

I was 17 in 93' and consider myself pretty lucky to have to have been that age and witness such a magical playoffs (im still looking for a DVD of that btw). The loudest i cheered during that playoffs was not a habs win but NY Islanders forward David Volek scoring in OT (Game 7) to beat the Pens (Who were by far the best team).

Nothing was the same since then, the Habs just slowly crept to mediocrity and havent been able to do anthting since.

So bottom line I've been pretty angry, but moreso dissapointed.

Last edited by habsrock76: 01-22-2010 at 12:20 PM.
habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Nedved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghys View Post
I am 24 and I feel the same way as everyone here who is under 28-29

I liked the reference someone made to their best moment watching the habs being a first round win before a quick second round sweep... I personally have no faith whatsoever in this organization after watching them blow it year after year

BUT

I keep watching games and reading this forum...so therefore I must have some kind of faith hidden deep inside
im 24 as well. but i remember 93. actually that stanley cup run is probably why i am a habs fan and not a blackhawks fan (dads team).

Nedved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 06:27 PM
habdynasty

I am lucky enough to remember games from the late 70s, those were the best years. The 80s were the Islanders and oilers decade, the habs were lucky that steve smith eliminated his own team in 86 !! The early 90.s were decent for the habs( 93 was great) but since then its been down hill. Maybe this will be our decade!

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
born in 86, didnt seriously start following nhl hockey until 1994.. i see there are alot of us out there lol.. i could die a happy man if i could just see the habs win 1 more cup, in my lifetime, so angry right now

BUt, i was a serious red wings fan from 95 to 03 (fedorov..), and watched every game of theirs every year in that span, 3 great cup runs, the coloroado rivalry, luc and hasek and hull forming the superlakers but actually pulling it off...safe to say, following the habs has beena bit less generous.. but i lovem, and one day, we'll all see 1 more cup win, and itll be the biggest thrill of all our lives, lets face it, were discussin it on a damn chatboard we love it so much, i cant wait for this day, whenever it is, itll be a joy unlike no other, and we'll all be apart of it

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

My father bought me a pack of hockey cards when I was 11 and I started collecting opeechee and that's when I started watching the habs in 92-93. They won the cup obviously, and since it was my first saeson watching and I was bit youngish, I didn't fully appreciate it. At least I saw the habs win it all. But yeah, I'm pretty angry, jealous and you name it. Always said expansion was a huge mistake. Can't say I've been proven wrong. The USA hockey program is better than ever, but I don't think it was worth diluting the product that much.

Recently I watched an interview with Charles Barkley and he said he agreed the NBA should contract because the product is not good enough. This is exactly what's happening with the NHL. We could use a higher concentration of talent in there. There are plenty of markets that do not deserve a NHL team and can't support NHL teams.

I remember watching Selanne score 76 goals as a rookie, and the NHL having a gazillion 50 goals scorer and 100+pts scorer. And the NHL was awesome to follow back then. I miss those days, and I miss the habs being a good team.

Des Louise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 11:30 PM
ILuvLucic*

I'm angry because we won't see another Cup until Gainey is replaced.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 07:59 AM
GNick42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBen View Post
I thought about that earlier, i was born in 1987 i have no memories of 1993...recently with the cup winners (TB, CAR, PIT) are you sometimes angry or sad because teams that don't have die hard fans can appreciate the feeling of winning a cup but we can't?

I remember the playoffs against Carolina and some guy at RDS did a voxpop in the streets of Raleigh to see people's reaction regarding the Canes in the 2nd round and no one knew or cared about the Canes

We all know that the vast majority of Pittsburgh fans are just bandwagonners and i don't really need to talk about TB

So are you angry, sad or jealous that less die hard fans are able to feel their team win a cup and not us Habs?

I guess im a little bit of all 3, like i said i have no memories of 1993 so the feeling would be all new for me

What about you older guys, if you feel any of the 3 above do you try thinking about whichever cup run you saw in the past?
I've been quite lucky...I have celebrated many Cup runs, around 8 in total. Yeah, it is a shame the younger fans don't know what it is like to win a Cup. While fans in cities that don't care about hockey have.

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 09:20 AM
kent_carlson

I saw 8-9 Cups run from the very powerful Habs to today. I don't really feel any of those emotions because I still like the game a lot and I must say that I have very low expectations for the team since the Houle era. However, I have fun watching new players/prospects on the team and trying to understand why it is working or not. Finally, to keep my interest, I'm not watching any games (!!!) against the Islanders, Panthers, Blue Jackets an so-on, except when there's a new rookie in town.

kent_carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 02:32 PM
TeamHabs

I was too young to remember the 86 Stanley Cup win, I was about 5 years old. I remember the heartbreaking loss in 89 to Calgary. Then losing to the Bruins in 90, 91 and 92. Only to be rewarded with the run in 93, I stayed up and watched all the games that year man was that an awesome year.

TeamHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 03:32 PM
Ncrdrg

Send a message via AIM to Ncrdrg Send a message via MSN to Ncrdrg
I was born in 1985 so I took don't really have any memories about their last cup.
Makes me sad, I wish I could have seen one or two. Oh well, it'll make the feeling much sweeter when they manage to do it. I hope they don't become like the Leafs and come close sometimes but never be able to seal it in 40-50 years.

Ncrdrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 05:25 PM
Phousse

Born in '88, so I only have the faintest memories, but what's important is that I do in fact have some. I'm not sure I saw the actual game, but my brother was a huge Patrick Roy fan and I remember celebrating and my parents even buying a cake the next day in honour of the victory. We live in Toronto, though, so it had to be real hush-hush.

I did, however, catch Colorado's first Stanley Cup in '96, but that's a Patrick Roy dealie.

Phousse is offline   Reply With Quote