HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Girardi have stepped in on the fight

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-23-2010, 02:17 PM
  #301
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor
 
klingsor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 14,111
vCash: 500
Yes, he should have.

Good on Gaborik for standing up for himself, but you don't allow it to go any farther if you're his teammate.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:20 PM
  #302
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,007
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post
Yes, he should have.

Good on Gaborik for standing up for himself, but you don't allow it to go any farther if you're his teammate.
If Gaborik has to do someone else's job, at the very least someone should do Gaborik's job and score a goal or two.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:30 PM
  #303
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,384
vCash: 500
I feel bad for Girardi but he built a maze he couldnt get through. I could understand if it was a Game 7 or a crucial game late in the season and the score was tied or the Rangers were ahead. It's all about situational awareness. And Danny and DZ, mainly Girardi, have to be ashamed of themselves.


Last edited by GWOW: 01-23-2010 at 03:15 PM.
GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:42 PM
  #304
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
I feel bad for Girardi but he built a maze he couldnt get through. I could understand if it was a Game 7 or a crucial game late in the season and the score was tied or the Rangers were ahead. It's all about situational awareness. And Danny and Staal, mainly Girardi, have to be ashamed of themselves.
I don't think Staal was even out there, wasn't it Del Zotto?

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 02:44 PM
  #305
Jeds2StepOpus
Registered User
 
Jeds2StepOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
48 hrs too late in my book.

Great point in your previous post about Torts possibly having these guys thinking to much when it comes to penalties. Don't know how many here on involved in law enforcement, but the endless days of drilling into your head in the academy about how the use of physical force needs to be 110% completely justified and that the liabilities that may occur later have many thinking when they should be acting.

Still. I'm done with Girardi.
I think he deserves a chance.

He's a player who in the past has jumped to his teammates defense and dropped the gloves.

This was a major blunder and disappointment. But I still beleive he deserves a chance to redeem himself.

If this was someone like Rozsival who stood there, I couldn't give him a chance.

I have to believe Girardi got caught in a moment of stupidity and confusion; rooted in the wrath of Torts.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:15 PM
  #306
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 15,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
I don't think Staal was even out there, wasn't it Del Zotto?
Yes, correction. My bad.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:20 PM
  #307
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
I think he deserves a chance.

He's a player who in the past has jumped to his teammates defense and dropped the gloves.

This was a major blunder and disappointment. But I still beleive he deserves a chance to redeem himself.

If this was someone like Rozsival who stood there, I couldn't give him a chance.

I have to believe Girardi got caught in a moment of stupidity and confusion; rooted in the wrath of Torts.
Thats cool.

Players like that have no place on my team. Sticking up for teamates is a staple of hockey that too many times seems to be lost on this franchise.

Once is too many times in my book.

I've seen this team wuss out and embarrass the majority of fans 3 separate times in 4 separate decades for being beyond soft. .

Would like some examples or video of other franchises whose players just stood there and take the pipe while their superstar gets dragged to the corner like some mugger grabbing an old lady, and then subsequently stand by as our most skilled player eats 5 straight punches to the mush and then slammed to the ice.



Lets just agree to disagree.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:23 PM
  #308
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,895
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
I think he deserves a chance.

He's a player who in the past has jumped to his teammates defense and dropped the gloves.

This was a major blunder and disappointment. But I still beleive he deserves a chance to redeem himself.

If this was someone like Rozsival who stood there, I couldn't give him a chance.

I have to believe Girardi got caught in a moment of stupidity and confusion; rooted in the wrath of Torts.
Why do you give Girardi a chance but say if it was Rozsival you wouldn't?

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:26 PM
  #309
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Yeah. And why would Rosy be more wrong then Danielle??

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:29 PM
  #310
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,777
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Why do you give Girardi a chance but say if it was Rozsival you wouldn't?
Probably because Rozy is the whipping boy around here, and Girardi still gets a free pass by some.

Meanwhile, Rozy had 4 hits against Philly, tied for the team lead and most out of all our defenseman. Staal and Gilroy had ZERO hits (how do you have no hits against a physical team like Philly?!!), Redden and Girardi had a whopping 1 hit a piece, and MDZ had 3 hits.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:36 PM
  #311
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,587
vCash: 500
Letting go of Colton Orr was one of the stupidest decisions that the Rangers could have made. Remember when Orr wasn't playing against Philly? Concussion Shanahan. Remember when Orr wasn't playing against Washington? Concussion Betts. Then Tortorella brings in Brashear and has the balls to not play him against Philadelphia? What was he expecting?

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:37 PM
  #312
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,234
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Probably because Rozy is the whipping boy around here, and Girardi still gets a free pass by some.

Meanwhile, Rozy had 4 hits against Philly, tied for the team lead and most out of all our defenseman. Staal and Gilroy had ZERO hits (how do you have no hits against a physical team like Philly?!!), Redden and Girardi had a whopping 1 hit a piece, and MDZ had 3 hits.
Stingy statisticians in the Wachovia Center.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:51 PM
  #313
BlueShirts702
Registered User
 
BlueShirts702's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: City of Sin
Country: United States
Posts: 1,256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jme42257 View Post
Carcillo was simply saying that when the non-fighting Gaborik dropped his gloves first, he was happy to oblige. Feel free to take runs at Briere. Any number of our guys will gladly jump in before Briere gets touched. just sayin
How bout them Phillies?

BlueShirts702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 03:53 PM
  #314
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,587
vCash: 500
Since everyone's bashing Girardi & not DZ, I'll throw these pictures out there.


Look at the top, notice DZ & Girardi standing right next to each other when the fight breaks out.


and now DZ backskating away after he came closer


Click & Watch in HD you can see more.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:01 PM
  #315
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!
 
McDonaghisGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 6,220
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Since everyone's bashing Girardi & not DZ, I'll throw these pictures out there.


Look at the top, notice DZ & Girardi standing right next to each other when the fight breaks out.


and now DZ backskating away after he came closer


Click & Watch in HD you can see more.
Wow! I hadn't seen the play yet. Carcillo needs to be taken out the next time they play the flyers. That is completely unacceptable. This team really needs to grow some balls. I have rarely been embarassed to be a ranger fan, but this is one of those times.

McDonaghisGod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:03 PM
  #316
Radek27
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,179
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Dubisnacks, I think Girardi being the more veteran player and leader compared to DZ should have done it. Can't expect a 19 year old rookie 50 games into his NHL career to know what to do in that situation. Some might forget Girardi is still young himself and learning which I hope he did from the other nite. He said if it happens again he won't make the same mistake, I believe him.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:04 PM
  #317
Jeds2StepOpus
Registered User
 
Jeds2StepOpus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 893
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Why do you give Girardi a chance but say if it was Rozsival you wouldn't?
Because Girardi has stepped up in the past (a few times) and done it.

Rozsival never does anything. never has, never will.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:07 PM
  #318
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Dubisnacks, I think Girardi being the more veteran player and leader compared to DZ should have done it. Can't expect a 19 year old rookie 50 games into his NHL career to know what to do in that situation. Some might forget Girardi is still young himself and learning which I hope he did from the other nite. He said if it happens again he won't make the same mistake, I believe him.
I understand that Girardi (who has 2 more seasons of NHL experience than DZ) is more experienced, but c'mon... I think if you're in peewee hockey and something like that happens someone would jump in. It doesn't matter whether you're 19 or 24, it doesn't take experience to know when to defend your star player. Experience doesn't make you more likely to fight (better at it, yes, but to do it, no).

It comes down to team concept. I don't hear Tortorella going around saying "If you take a swipe at one of ours, we'll take a swipe at two of yours." They sure don't act it either. Man I wish Rex was coach of the Rangers.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:26 PM
  #319
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Letting go of Colton Orr was one of the stupidest decisions that the Rangers could have made. Remember when Orr wasn't playing against Philly? Concussion Shanahan. Remember when Orr wasn't playing against Washington? Concussion Betts. Then Tortorella brings in Brashear and has the balls to not play him against Philadelphia? What was he expecting?
No, there was nothing stupid about letting Orr walk. It was replacing him with Brashear that was the stupid part.

And Tortarella didn't BRING Brashear in, Sather did. There's this notion around here that Tortarella is the GM too or something.

Shanahan's concussion against philly had no malicious intent at all, Knuble and him just ran in to each other and neither really saw it coming. So basically, you're saying because Betts got a concussion, letting go of Orr was the worst decision the Rangers have made. Great argument, lots of weight to it, not just a one time incident by any means.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:28 PM
  #320
RangerFan10
Registered User
 
RangerFan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Long Island/Plattsbu
Country: United States
Posts: 5,327
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Dubisnacks, I think Girardi being the more veteran player and leader compared to DZ should have done it. Can't expect a 19 year old rookie 50 games into his NHL career to know what to do in that situation. Some might forget Girardi is still young himself and learning which I hope he did from the other nite. He said if it happens again he won't make the same mistake, I believe him.
Guys playing high school hockey would've probably jumped in in that situation.

I get MDZ is trying to play exactly how the coach wants without many mistakes, but if anything I would think the younger player of the two would be the one who goes all on instinct there. The rough stuff isn't absent from other levels of hockey, it's not like it was MDZ's first post-whistle scrum.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 04:57 PM
  #321
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26
 
Lion Hound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Letting go of Colton Orr was one of the stupidest decisions that the Rangers could have made. Remember when Orr wasn't playing against Philly? Concussion Shanahan. Remember when Orr wasn't playing against Washington? Concussion Betts. Then Tortorella brings in Brashear and has the balls to not play him against Philadelphia? What was he expecting?
Was talking about this with my brother. More specifically the tizzy Dolan went into after the game that Shanny was hurt. That game cemented Orr in the lineup for the Rangers. He was rarely if ever scratched after that game.

Now enter the Tortorella era, where John wanted a guy who could play a regular shift supposedly. Enter Brashear and the worst tenure as a Rangers enforcer since Sandy MacCarthy.

I wonder if Dolan flipped out again? I mean similar results no? This couldn't have sat well with him at all.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 05:00 PM
  #322
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Had NHL Radio on in my truck about an hr or so ago and this still seems to be a pretty big topic outside of the NY area too.

Both the host and the media person being interviewed(didn't get either name cause I got where i was going before the interview ended) were both commenting about how they couldn't believe nobody (and Girardis name was the first to come up) came to Gabbys aid.
They then went on how this can hurt the team going forward and speculated that there may be some major issues in that lockeroom. They also said the blame "comes from up top".

They went on to praise Avery and joked about Torts temper and the whole Larry Brooks fiasco.


Last edited by HAPPY HOUR: 01-23-2010 at 05:14 PM.
HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 05:04 PM
  #323
HAPPY HOUR
Registered User
 
HAPPY HOUR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
Was talking about this with my brother. More specifically the tizzy Dolan went into after the game that Shanny was hurt. That game cemented Orr in the lineup for the Rangers. He was rarely if ever scratched after that game.

Now enter the Tortorella era, where John wanted a guy who could play a regular shift supposedly. Enter Brashear and the worst tenure as a Rangers enforcer since Sandy MacCarthy.

I wonder if Dolan flipped out again? I mean similar results no? This couldn't have sat well with him at all.
You're correct. Orr played every game the rest of that year and most games the next season. I believe the ones he missed were do to injury. Going to check about last season.

Orrs career stats: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=46438

Carcillos career stats: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=71842

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 05:11 PM
  #324
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
Because Girardi has stepped up in the past (a few times) and done it.

Rozsival never does anything. never has, never will.
Yes, thats intelligent reasoning.

The only thing Rozsival has done is be a much better hockey player than Girardi.

How you even found a way to bash Rozsival in this "Girardi is a *****" discussion speaks volumes.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-23-2010, 05:57 PM
  #325
Nyrvana
Registered User
 
Nyrvana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bronx, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,077
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Since everyone's bashing Girardi & not DZ, I'll throw these pictures out there.


Look at the top, notice DZ & Girardi standing right next to each other when the fight breaks out.
After making the thread, I felt bad about calling Girardi out. Because obviously other players were on the ice. Dubinsky tried to get over to help and others were held up. Del Zotto and Girardi were the two that could be held accountable. However, Del Zotto is 19 years old and while I would love to see him jump in there, he can certainly be given a break. Girardi on the other hand skated over like he was going to do something and didn't. Girardi should have known better. He needs to do something in that situation. There's no excuse for it. Del Zotto at least has an excuse of being young and a rookie.

Nyrvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.