HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Apple Tablet - The iPad, Now With 50% More Bezel!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-22-2010, 01:32 AM
  #1
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,223
vCash: 500
Apple Tablet - The iPad, Now With 50% More Bezel!

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...122_583507.htm

Any of you guys know much more about this thing? What do you think of it?


Last edited by parabola: 01-27-2010 at 01:46 PM.
LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:21 AM
  #2
Nighthock
**** the Kings...
 
Nighthock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 15,945
vCash: 500
I was unaware it even existed ... I'm not very tech savvy to begin with though. It's definitely in contention with the Wacom Cintiq now: Cintiq

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 03:29 AM
  #3
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum
 
parabola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ಠ_ಠ
Posts: 42,073
vCash: 500
I'm guessing it's just going to be a glorified iPod Touch

__________________
parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 08:29 AM
  #4
Coldplay
Courage
 
Coldplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,394
vCash: 500
Really pumped.

Apple better call it 'iSlate' and not 'iPad'...belch.

Rumour has it iPhone OS 4.0 will be announced too.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:44 AM
  #5
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
I'm guessing it's just going to be a glorified iPod Touch
Isn't that all the iphone is? Because the tablet is supposedly mobile.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 10:51 AM
  #6
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 12,405
vCash: 500
Apple will let everyone know on the 27th.

If the tablet is real, I'm not expecting anything more than a glorified iPhone/iPod Touch (rumor is that the iPad will have Verizon 3g).

I just don't see the wide stream use of a tablet, especially running the iPhone OS, and after Apple poo pooed netbooks, with "tiny screens and KB's", and then they might be coming out with a tablet...mmm

I've been saving my pennies, so I only care about Core i5 iMacs or MBP's at this point.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 01:31 PM
  #7
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum
 
parabola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: ಠ_ಠ
Posts: 42,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Isn't that all the iphone is? Because the tablet is supposedly mobile.
Mobile data... iPhone came first, so the technically the iPod touch is a stripped down iPhone, and an iSlate is going to be a larger iPod.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 02:03 PM
  #8
deanosaur
Registered User
 
deanosaur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: AB/MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,090
vCash: 500
Woot another over priced apple product?

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 03:11 PM
  #9
FruityPants3*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
Apple will let everyone know on the 27th.

If the tablet is real, I'm not expecting anything more than a glorified iPhone/iPod Touch (rumor is that the iPad will have Verizon 3g).

I just don't see the wide stream use of a tablet, especially running the iPhone OS, and after Apple poo pooed netbooks, with "tiny screens and KB's", and then they might be coming out with a tablet...mmm

I've been saving my pennies, so I only care about Core i5 iMacs or MBP's at this point.
Yup. I expect it to be sexy as hell, but not very practical, which is why, by all accounts, Jobs has pushed this project away so many times. The specs will probably be poor for any 'real' computing needs. It'll be a great e-reader and media machine, good for some basic tasks and a lot of compatibility with iPhone apps, but more iPhone than MacBook. Which is not a lot for ~$800.

There is some talk about it being a useful extension to a MBP, extending the work surface, but I'm not sure how that will materialize.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:26 PM
  #10
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan
 
EpochLink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,944
vCash: 500
iPhone 4.0 OS, I'm waiting...

Say what you want about Apple over pricing their products, I'll buy Apple...some of you won't. Who cares. Were spending our money on it, your not. Go buy something else. End Rant/

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2010, 09:33 PM
  #11
SniperHF
Global Moderator
The Tank thanks you
 
SniperHF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Country: United States
Posts: 15,457
vCash: 500
Tablets always seemed like an enigma to me in the mobile computing world. There are a few jobs where it is perfect, but overall a notebook/laptop or pda/smartphone usually do the job better in most situations, especially with their versatility.

SniperHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 03:42 AM
  #12
rg_93
Registered User
 
rg_93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 579
vCash: 500
With regards to its potential as an e-reader: I use the Stanza app on my iPhone to turn it into a portable e-reader or sorts. It's fantastic in a lot of ways, the touch screen lends to easy page turning, pinching to zoom allows me to find that "just right" font size easily, and dimming and altering the font to white text on a black background makes it pretty comfortable to read. I actually read all of The Da Vinci Code on my iPhone. I expected the novelty of reading a book on the iPhone to wear off after a few days, but before I knew it, I was hooked to the app, loved that I could pick up and read it just about anywhere. Before beginning I fully expected to give up and not bother reading it on there. To my surprise, it was generally painless and a pleasure MOST of the time.....

BUT...for all those great attributes, the thing that drives me nuts, and will drive buyers of the iSlate (if they market it as a reader) is that if you read in the dark before bed (no matter how dim and with black background and white text)...after you finish and close your eyes, you have several minutes of an intense LCD flicker in your eyes (I imagine at the refresh rate of the LCD you just stared at).

The huge advantage of all these e-readers like the Kindle is that they use that electronic ink technology, which appears like paper, and better yet, does not refresh the image constantly like an LCD. They obviously therefore suck at showing a moving image and therefore are not a threat to media players.

This will be one area I wonder if Apple will address. Being a 10.1" (rumoured) touch screen, it will appeal to tons of potential e-reader buyers with cash to blow and understandably so. I just know that my experience with the technology that is essentially gonna be supersized in this new tablet is mixed as far as a reader goes.

rg_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 04:22 AM
  #13
serge2k
Registered User
 
serge2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Tablets always seemed like an enigma to me in the mobile computing world. There are a few jobs where it is perfect, but overall a notebook/laptop or pda/smartphone usually do the job better in most situations, especially with their versatility.
I've got a friend with a Lenovo x200 and it's awesome. Uses it for notes + everyday laptop.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:45 AM
  #14
FruityPants3*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_93 View Post
With regards to its potential as an e-reader: I use the Stanza app on my iPhone to turn it into a portable e-reader or sorts. It's fantastic in a lot of ways, the touch screen lends to easy page turning, pinching to zoom allows me to find that "just right" font size easily, and dimming and altering the font to white text on a black background makes it pretty comfortable to read. I actually read all of The Da Vinci Code on my iPhone. I expected the novelty of reading a book on the iPhone to wear off after a few days, but before I knew it, I was hooked to the app, loved that I could pick up and read it just about anywhere. Before beginning I fully expected to give up and not bother reading it on there. To my surprise, it was generally painless and a pleasure MOST of the time.....

BUT...for all those great attributes, the thing that drives me nuts, and will drive buyers of the iSlate (if they market it as a reader) is that if you read in the dark before bed (no matter how dim and with black background and white text)...after you finish and close your eyes, you have several minutes of an intense LCD flicker in your eyes (I imagine at the refresh rate of the LCD you just stared at).

The huge advantage of all these e-readers like the Kindle is that they use that electronic ink technology, which appears like paper, and better yet, does not refresh the image constantly like an LCD. They obviously therefore suck at showing a moving image and therefore are not a threat to media players.

This will be one area I wonder if Apple will address. Being a 10.1" (rumoured) touch screen, it will appeal to tons of potential e-reader buyers with cash to blow and understandably so. I just know that my experience with the technology that is essentially gonna be supersized in this new tablet is mixed as far as a reader goes.
Great points. Because of the price point, I expect e-reader to be no more than an auxiliary marketing point, probably lower on the list than some of the other features. If they focus too much on it, then people will realize they could pay less than half for a better reading experience. But if it's just an 'it also does this, that's worth $300 right there' then it's just another argument to justify getting one.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2010, 11:50 AM
  #15
Jori
Registered User
 
Jori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Denver, CO
Country: United States
Posts: 20,218
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by serge2k View Post
I've got a friend with a Lenovo x200 and it's awesome. Uses it for notes + everyday laptop.
I was really impressed with the Lenovo netbook/tablet that was at CES and I'd probably prefer something like that over just a plain tablet.

E-readers are nice, but I still prefer the feel of a real book. I'm not ready to go there yet

__________________
Colorado Avalanche Prospects-- News and updates on the future of the Colorado Avalanche!
Colorado's Future -- Team * Manning * MacKinnon * Tulowitzki?
Jori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 09:05 PM
  #16
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 12,405
vCash: 500
McGraw-Hill's CEO confirms Apple tablet, debuting tomorrow

Quote:
Color us (not) surprised, but Apple is definitely launching a tablet tomorrow. At least, according to the CEO of one of the planet's most noted book publishers. In a recent interview on CNBC, Terry McGraw (head honcho of McGraw-Hill, naturally), very openly admitted that books from his company would be coming to an Apple tablet "tomorrow," and he also confirmed that his company has "worked with Apple for quite awhile." As he dug the hole deeper, we also learned that the "tablet will be based on the iPhone operating system,"
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/26/m...ting-tomorrow/

Aye, this tablet will have to either be ****ing amazing or have a low price (yeah right), but a big iPod Touch, with the possibility of 3g connectivity just isn't wowing me in the slightest.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 09:13 PM
  #17
FruityPants3*
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,201
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/26/m...ting-tomorrow/

Aye, this tablet will have to either be ****ing amazing or have a low price (yeah right), but a big iPod Touch, with the possibility of 3g connectivity just isn't wowing me in the slightest.
Yeah, really disappointed to hear it's on the iPhone OS. Basically eliminates any potential for some light duty design applications. At $600 it might have my attention, but at $1000 I think it's gonna get panned bit time.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 09:39 PM
  #18
Cone
Registered User
 
Cone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Irvine, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,227
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cone
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
Apple will let everyone know on the 27th.

If the tablet is real, I'm not expecting anything more than a glorified iPhone/iPod Touch (rumor is that the iPad will have Verizon 3g).

I just don't see the wide stream use of a tablet, especially running the iPhone OS, and after Apple poo pooed netbooks, with "tiny screens and KB's", and then they might be coming out with a tablet...mmm

I've been saving my pennies, so I only care about Core i5 iMacs or MBP's at this point.
i got why people were excited about the iphone, like you hear people talk about new smart phones a lot in general, like the palm pre, the droid or google nexus. but you never heard anybody say "omg gaiz, check out this HP tablet computer!" so im guessing it's just the apple hype machine.

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 10:11 PM
  #19
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 12,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chone View Post
i got why people were excited about the iphone, like you hear people talk about new smart phones a lot in general, like the palm pre, the droid or google nexus. but you never heard anybody say "omg gaiz, check out this HP tablet computer!" so im guessing it's just the apple hype machine.
I look at tablet PC's much like how I see e-readers. They're cool, but I don't have a practical use/need for one, and then you have to factor in the cost of the actual device, and the prices of e-books aren't a hell of a lot less than real books, and I can't see e-book coming out in 'paperbacks' at a reduced price either.

I just see this at another of Steve's baby's like the Apple TV, but without a lot of substance, but damn it, he's gonna release it anyway.

And it will sell, it's got an Apple logo.

I would be more surprised, if Apple announced at tomorrow's "and one other thing" ending, that the iPhone was coming to Verizon. That would be more impressive than a tablet IMO.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 10:18 PM
  #20
theotis77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,591
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chone View Post
i got why people were excited about the iphone, like you hear people talk about new smart phones a lot in general, like the palm pre, the droid or google nexus. but you never heard anybody say "omg gaiz, check out this HP tablet computer!" so im guessing it's just the apple hype machine.
That's because Windows tablet PCs have historically been terrible. Clunky and hard to use, completely non-optimized for a touchscreen. Windows 7 makes some much-needed improvements, but it still feels like touch is sort of tacked-on to the OS.

The one thing that Apple is, and always has been, good at is revolutionizing and streamlining the user interface. If they can do for the tablet concept what they did for the smart phone, then the hype may very well be deserved.

theotis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 10:51 PM
  #21
guinness
those were the days
 
guinness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Missoula, Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 12,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AroJay View Post
That's because Windows tablet PCs have historically been terrible. Clunky and hard to use, completely non-optimized for a touchscreen. Windows 7 makes some much-needed improvements, but it still feels like touch is sort of tacked-on to the OS.

The one thing that Apple is, and always has been, good at is revolutionizing and streamlining the user interface. If they can do for the tablet concept what they did for the smart phone, then the hype may very well be deserved.
It's running the iPhone OS, we already pretty much know what it's gonna operate like, just...bigger.

And of course the tablet functionality is tacked on to Windows-tablet PC's, Microsoft have never claimed otherwise.

guinness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:18 PM
  #22
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!
 
Led Zappa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
It's running the iPhone OS, we already pretty much know what it's gonna operate like, just...bigger.

And of course the tablet functionality is tacked on to Windows-tablet PC's, Microsoft have never claimed otherwise.
From what I've read there is new code in the Iphone OS that will be in the tablet and is one of the reasons they waited to release it, but there has been no confirmation that the Tablet doesn't have additional code or functionality unless you know something I don't.

Guess we'll find out tomorrow.

Here is what it may look like:


__________________

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-26-2010, 11:49 PM
  #23
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 14,174
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
I wouldn't be surprised if the pricing for the tablet is either lower than expected or falls rather quickly to around the $400-500 level. The money won't be generated immediately, but I think apple is trying to set themselves up to become to ebooks what they already are to digital music. And seeing how Apple is apparently strong arming publishers into a lower than desired price point I think it's clear Apple is looking to take aim at Amazon's ebook supremacy. I don't have the link handy but the other day there was a quote from Harper Collins about preserving the cost for a hardcover in the digital format by offering some sort of "extra" material with an ebook (like video). But it's clear that Apple has no interest in selling $35 ebooks.

Personally, I don't want a glorified iphone that I can also tote around to read the occasional novel on. I don't need a computer that does a lot of heavy lifting, but I don't want an even more expensive ereader, either.

Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:05 AM
  #24
DeathFromAbove
Registered User
 
DeathFromAbove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,622
vCash: 500
I'll buy anything as long as it's shiny and made by Apple

http://www.theonion.com/content/vide..._revolutionary

DeathFromAbove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-27-2010, 12:07 AM
  #25
Cone
Registered User
 
Cone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Irvine, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,227
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cone
Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
I look at tablet PC's much like how I see e-readers. They're cool, but I don't have a practical use/need for one, and then you have to factor in the cost of the actual device, and the prices of e-books aren't a hell of a lot less than real books, and I can't see e-book coming out in 'paperbacks' at a reduced price either.

I just see this at another of Steve's baby's like the Apple TV, but without a lot of substance, but damn it, he's gonna release it anyway.

And it will sell, it's got an Apple logo.

I would be more surprised, if Apple announced at tomorrow's "and one other thing" ending, that the iPhone was coming to Verizon. That would be more impressive than a tablet IMO.
yeah. i think tablets and e-readers will be useful when they're one and the same. both are just making too many compromises as it is and cost too much.

when they start making powerful tablets with long battery life, with a speedy yet affordable mobile connection that doesn't cost a fortune, i think people might be inclined to carry one around instead of a netbook. but right now? what's the point? that it's trendy?

Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.